BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > M2 Turbo size?

10-15-2015, 10:42 PM   #23
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
I think it's highly unlikely BMW takes the extra work and design to make the engine more durable for added stress and not add the stress to it with a bigger turbo. That list sure looks like its ready for more boost and some track duty. Plus a larger turbo will provide more air without working so hard which means cooler temps for the track and that has to be a design characteristic they looked at. I sure hope they did otherwise there is always Pure...
You can run more boost without a larger turbo up to a certain point, and the work they did was to improve the engine to take the increased design boost. I think they got that design boost using a small turbo and probably the same one. I think the suspicion is that the turbo is now pretty much maxed out.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:51 PM   #24
mc3456
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 Alfa Giulia Quadrifoglio

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwg View Post
Yes you are right - even a longer period of flat peak power for the S55. So maybe its the way BMW tuned it and they did that so you stay on the power band when you shift, which was the reported reason on the S55 power band. I still suspect that for both the S55 and N55TO motors, the turbos don't have a lot of extra flow potential that is not already being tapped into by the factory tune. That may be why your tuned M3 starts to run out of steam at about the same time.

I had a N55 135i with the PPK and then with the Cobb tune. When I did the dyno with the PPK max power was at 6000 rpm pretty flat from 5500. With the Cobb tune I sold the car before I had a chance to dyno it but it seemed to pull pulled pretty strong up to 6500 rpm. The ppk added about 20 hp at the peak, the cobb felt about the same improvement over the PPK, but no dyno results to say for sure.
It's not to say that the S55 is not fast, it's just torque heavy in the midrange. Seems like the way BMW chose to solve the very modest low end pull of the E92.

The M2 will be very impressive, and more than likely, very durable.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:52 PM   #25
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

Quote:
You can run more boost without a larger turbo up to a certain point, and the work they did was to improve the engine to take the increased design boost. I think they got that design boost using a small turbo and probably the same one. I think the suspicion is that the turbo is now pretty much maxed out.
Sure you can run more boost but as you approach the point of diminishing returns as boost increases and you get less and less hp out of it and temps rise dramatically. You also will reduce the lifespan of that turbo too over the long run. You could very well be right although I hope you're not.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 10:54 PM   #26
IS3andME
Major
Rep
Drives: Lexus IS300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hazey82 View Post
Wouldn't surprise me if they are protecting the M4 by limiting any tuning potential to avoid people saving on M2 and just getting a tune which would wipe the M4 clean.
And that's why I asked the question "so who will be first to put the S55 in the M2?"
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:02 PM   #27
kovsky
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, finally

It's pretty stupid to put in a s55 when you could add a Pure turbo assuming this motor is relatively robust which it sure looks like it is. You'd have 550+ rwhp for much less money and its an easy modification to perform in comparison to an engine swap. Been there done that in another car...
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:10 PM   #28
cwg
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 M4 ZCP. AZB on black

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovsky View Post
Sure you can run more boost but as you approach the point of diminishing returns as boost increases and you get less and less hp out of it and temps rise dramatically. You also will reduce the lifespan of that turbo too over the long run. You could very well be right although I hope you're not.
I truly hope I am wrong and its a bigger turbo with enough headroom for another easy 4 to 6 lbs of boost. But I doubt it. Based on what the JB4 people are doing, Looks the stock s55 turbos have enough head room for another 7 lbs of boost without going too extreme. My guess is we will be lucky to be able to get half that much more boost out of the N55TO
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2015, 11:43 PM   #29
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhoenixWolf
I am wondering also about the turbo size. More than likely it's bigger I would guess.

There is also something else I have been wondering. As we all have seen judging by the responses from members personal dynoed M4s, M5s, and M6s, And the M2's Nurburgring time of 7:58 seconds (some 14 seconds faster than the 1M with only 30 more horses, and -1 lb-tq less than the 1M with overboast), this car has to be seriously underrated with its HP numbers. Unless the 14 seconds is mostly due to a better chasis, tuning and suspension which I doubt, it would mean that the HP figures for the M2 in reality are closer to 400+.

I cant wait for the first member to dyno his.
I think the " seriously underrated horsepower " is likely the same from the 1M to M2.

The suspension is a major factor in llap times, particularly because of the longer wheelbase it should inspire more confidence. Grip likely is increased, especially at the rear.

M diff has been updated

Suspension solid mounted to the chassis

I also bet the different Gearing is a major factor. 6 speed to 7 speed.

BMW Loves to design a flat torque curve and let the gearing do the work.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 12:04 AM   #30
Nugget
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring, GR Supra GTS

Garage List
2011 BMW 135i  [10.00]
Quote:
Since the Turbo is now integrated into the exhaust manifold - replacing the turbo just got a whole lot more difficult. Maybe they can do some small mods to increase flow like they were doing on the 135i/335i N55 turbos. That power curve if its accurate really disappoints me. Shifting an M car at 5500 rpm!, seems rather un M like
Hasn't the N55 turbo always been integrated into the manifold, like below.
How is different in this car?

Appreciate 0
      10-16-2015, 09:25 AM   #31
UpNcOmINg!
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e82 BMW 135i

Honestly, I too am thinking a larger turbo on this car.
I reckon we will be able to break 300wkw quite easily with mild mods (JB, DP's)
Can't wait to chuck that, intake and wmi on this thing and see what it does.
I reckon we will only be seeing 11-13psi stock and will easily hit the 20-22psi mark on some decent fuel.
Bring on the boost.
Appreciate 0