BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > 2020 M2 Competition deals

01-02-2020, 04:38 AM   #221
jenks.chris106
Jenkies
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340I, 2020 M2 Compet

I was offered manager discount 6% off, still this only cover taxes.
I opted for used with 1700mi on a jock silver with lots of mperformance parts, auto dct, executive package for 55 otd.
Still with full factory warranty, just got the break in service.
I was shopping around for a while and could t beat a slightly used one.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 08:30 PM   #222
chrisk03
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by newcar55 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigKutta View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider View Post
I don't think invoice means much. I think it's best to go by the market and what is the going discount rate. BMW gives incentives to dealers that are unpublished.
Exactly. there is a lot of factors of costs for dealers. For example, my area dealers who have inventory are dealing, but go an hour away and they arent moving much on M cars that have been sitting around for a while.
I always figured that invoice was the absolute lowest and that was the starting point to use when negotiating. If you can go lower then how do you start negotiating? Do you take a guess at a low value and hope the dealer doesn't laugh at you?
I personally use the forums as the gauge and go with what percentage I want off. Typically, I start at 10% and go from there. Now where the forum comes in handy is seeing whether people are getting more than 10% and I can adjust accordingly.
This +1000. Invoice really doesn't mean much anymore as back end or other "behind the scenes" manufacturer incentives is where the bigger $$$ comes from on new cars. Can't find the article now, but an insider goes into how all this has transpired since the internet, basically.
      01-02-2020, 08:44 PM   #223
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenks.chris106 View Post
I was offered manager discount 6% off, still this only cover taxes.
I opted for used with 1700mi on a jock silver with lots of mperformance parts, auto dct, executive package for 55 otd.
Still with full factory warranty, just got the break in service.
I was shopping around for a while and could t beat a slightly used one.
Congratulations, decent deal.

If I'm felling generous, I'll tell the dealer that if they absorb the sales tax, I'll take it, for an OTD price. I try to avoid the back and forth games at the dealer..

That's usually a done deal, for the most part.

I would also be hesitant to buy a used M2C; folks don't buy a car like that to cruise the boulevard; you have to always wonder about its history, as oppose to blinding buying a used Camry.

It's safe to say it was previously driven by a Monk.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:46 PM   #224
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M2C, SOM, 6MT

Quote:
Nothing unusual about 7% at this time of year. I got a similar deal on my M2 a week ago
I'm in the middle of ordering a 2020 M2C right now and am meeting with the dealer tomorrow. Are you guys seeing these deals on orders or just on cars that were already sitting at a dealer?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 02:54 PM   #225
mattssi
Major
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

Orders as well. Shoot for at least 7%, closer to 10 though.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:04 PM   #226
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C & Boeing's light twin

Mine was an order-- 6% (using MSRP w/o delivery charge as a metric) and then an additional -0.64% from a company rebate, which was better than any other dealer in Denver-- so call it 7% under MSRP total. I do believe where you are located has a lot to do with it. I worked with five different dealers and four of them weren't budging below 4%. The one who moved a bit is the one I ordered from.

I would have loved to have gotten to 8-10% under, but it just wasn't going to happen in Denver. I played the long game over several months and let the dealers percolate for a week to ten days at a time before re-engaging. I think I ended up doing about as well as I could have expected-- at least I feel like I did everything I could to get the best price.

I also tried Costco and USAA discounts-- I ended up doing better engaging the dealer's on my own.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 01-03-2020 at 06:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:37 PM   #227
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Do you guys just typically engage with the internet sales teams?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 04:41 PM   #228
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikeyymonster View Post
That's what I did. Then I went and met face to face after I had a name and a few emails back and forth.

R.
Appreciate 1
      01-03-2020, 04:49 PM   #229
JCZ5
Major
Rep
Drives: BMW X5 (G05)

Quote:
Originally Posted by flybigjet View Post
Quote:
That's what I did. Then I went and met face to face after I had a name and a few emails back and forth.

R.
I think that is still a pretty good deal. Especially when it's the beginning of the year where typically hard discounts are difficult to get.

Did you try out of your region? E.g northeast, southeast, etc? I can understand if you didn't since transportation costs would negate part of any savings.
      01-03-2020, 04:57 PM   #230
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCZ5 View Post
I think that is still a pretty good deal. Especially when it's the beginning of the year where typically hard discounts are difficult to get.

Did you try out of your region? E.g northeast, southeast, etc? I can understand if you didn't since transportation costs would negate part of any savings.
I did, but covered transport would have made the deal a non-issue.

I did chat with a forum contact here and he said that he *might* be able to match the price, but between CA taxes and transport, I was better off staying local.

I looked at ED as well, but since my work schedule is fairly..... fluid, I didn't get all that deep into it. They would have eventually given me a three day window to pick up the car, and that might have been tough for me to meet. I did think of just flying over, touching the keys, and then having the car shipped back since I wouldn't have any time to drive, but then figured what was the point?

Besides, as soon as it's delivered, it'll go in for color correction, ceramic coating and PPF-- which would have been hard after it got sand-blasted on the autobahn.

And then there's that pesky 1200 mile break-in. No more than 5k on the tach, no more than 100 mph on the speedo.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 01-03-2020 at 06:38 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 05:52 PM   #231
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Mine was an order-- 6% (using MSRP w/o delivery charge as a metric) and then an additional 1% from a company rebate, which was better than any other dealer in Denver-- so call it 7% under MSRP total. I do believe where you are located has a lot to do with it. I worked with five different dealers and four of them weren't budging below 4%. The one who moved a bit is the one I ordered from.

I would have loved to have gotten to 8-10% under, but it just wasn't going to happen in Denver. I played the long game over several months and let the dealers percolate for a week to ten days at a time before re-engaging. I think I ended up doing about as well as I could have expected-- at least I feel like I did everything I could to get the best price.

I also tried Costco and USAA discounts-- I ended up doing better engaging the dealer's on my own.

R.
Any tips on negotiating this? This is my first BMW and so far the dealer has been great to work with. They are putting in this order for me as a 'first right of refusal' kind of situation (they let me build it out and placed the order), but we're going to talk money tomorrow. This was all done at their suggestion, as they haven't had one on the lot in a while. I could easily walk away from this one, but am hoping to get closer to $57k.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:12 PM   #232
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroglava View Post
Any tips on negotiating this? This is my first BMW and so far the dealer has been great to work with. They are putting in this order for me as a 'first right of refusal' kind of situation (they let me build it out and placed the order), but we're going to talk money tomorrow. This was all done at their suggestion, as they haven't had one on the lot in a while. I could easily walk away from this one, but am hoping to get closer to $57k.
I don't really have any advice-- After reading the forums and doing a lot of pricing research online, I came up with a number that was acceptable to me (-6%), and when I found a dealer that would meet it, I took it. Like I said, I think certain markets/regions allow for a bit more negotiation.

However, my M2C is definitely a "want" and not a "need" (It's a "date night" toy), so I was able to take my time, do a lot of research and was absolutely willing to walk away if I didn't get the price I wanted.

For comparison: My 2020 M2C, SOM paint (upcharge), Executive Package (upcharge) bicolor wheels (zero cost) and MT was $57,560 (including delivery charge). The dealer charged NO dealer fees other than $37 for temp tags. So, my total "out the door" cost was $57,597, not including taxes or registration fees (which are more or less a fixed cost that will vary by state, county, etc.). MSRP (including delivery charge was $61,645, so I ended up $4,085 under sticker.

I can live with that.

I *might* have been able to get a few hundred less if I continued to work the issue, but I liked the sales guy as he'd worked hard for the sale and had been extremely responsive to my requests for information.

And it was Christmas.

I just decided enough was enough and I pulled the trigger.

Good luck!!!

R.

PS: One thing I did NOT do was tell any dealer what any other was offering. I kept it vague (i.e. "You're a bit high, in the ballpark, etc.")-- It wasn't fair (and I was working with five dealers) to have one dealer deal with all the negotiation and then have another say "I'll give you $100 below your lowest offer to close the sale". I keep the numbers to myself, but was very upfront that I was working with other dealers in the area. They're not stupid, and they can see everyone else's inventory.

In the end, you have to remember that these people negotiate for a living-- they're most likely going to be better at it than you. I just had a number in mind that I could live with, and when I got there I called it a day.

It helped that I liked the Sales Rep that I bought the car from a little better than anyone else-- he was friendly, low key, extremely knowledgable about the car, responded to my emails/texts in a very timely manner, and generally made the experience about as pleasant as it could be-- with absolutely no pressure.

One of the other dealers basically had the attitude of "You have to beg me to sell you a car" that really turned me off. If you treat me like this BEFORE I hand you Sixty Large, how are you going to respond when you have my money and I have an issue?

And finally? I did tell them that I was considering finance through BMW. as that's where they make a lot of money on the back end. Once we got to a price, I decided how I'd actually pay for the car since I didn't want that to influence the price.

R.

Last edited by flybigjet; 01-03-2020 at 06:34 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:32 PM   #233
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Don't call internet sales team, call the internet sales manager. The manager can decide to sell a car to you for a price without having to go up the chain and ask permission. Look on the dealer website and find the internet/fleet sales manager.
Appreciate 2
      01-03-2020, 07:06 PM   #234
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

For comparison: My 2020 M2C, SOM paint (upcharge), Executive Package (upcharge) bicolor wheels (zero cost) and MT was $57,560 (including delivery charge). The dealer charged NO dealer fees other than $37 for temp tags. So, my total "out the door" cost was $57,597, not including taxes or registration fees (which are more or less a fixed cost that will vary by state, county, etc.). MSRP (including delivery charge was $61,645, so I ended up $4,085 under sticker.

I can live with that.

I *might* have been able to get a few hundred less if I continued to work the issue, but I liked the sales guy as he'd worked hard for the sale and had been extremely responsive to my requests for information.

And it was Christmas.

I just decided enough was enough and I pulled the trigger.

Good luck!!!

R.

R.
Awesome advice and thank you! I'm not in a hurry either at this point. The only weird part of this is that they decided to let me spec out this one and they would order it with the thought that it would be a showroom car if I decide to not buy it ultimately (so they just put the order in). My build is almost exactly the same as yours btw (SOM, etc). I haven't spoken with any other dealers. This local guy has been great. Sounds like a similar experience to the one you had. Very knowledgeable/responsive/etc. I'd like to stay local and that's what I plan to tell him and see how it goes: that there are deals to be had and I'd like to get there locally first, but am willing to go elsewhere.
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 11:11 PM   #235
alan7467
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2022 Sketchers

Quote:
Mine was an order-- 6% (using MSRP w/o delivery charge as a metric) and then an additional -0.64% from a company rebate, which was better than any other dealer in Denver-- so call it 7% under MSRP total. I do believe where you are located has a lot to do with it. I worked with five different dealers and four of them weren't budging below 4%. The one who moved a bit is the one I ordered from.

R.
Would you mind PM'ing me the dealer and sale rep you went through? (If you're not comfortable doing that no big deal).

I'm in the Denver area as well and may be in the market for a M2C this year (finally). Deals are definitely hard to come by around here.
      01-04-2020, 08:42 AM   #236
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
I'm in the middle of ordering a 2020 M2C right now and am meeting with the dealer tomorrow. Are you guys seeing these deals on orders or just on cars that were already sitting at a dealer?
Well, when I bought It was for a car on the lot, and it was one I would have spec'd anyway. However, it had just arrived. When asking the dealer if the deal would be the same for an ordered vehicle, he was a bit vague and said it depends, etc etc. I only asked about ordering because I wouldn't have minded a car in a couple of months after the winter.

I got almost 10% off my M2C, but I'm sure if I have pursued the order route I would have been closer to 6-8%. It was year end and they like to move cars before the end of the year so I'm guessing I got the max possible back then.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      01-04-2020, 09:14 AM   #237
flybigjet
Remove Before Flight
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan7467 View Post
Would you mind PM'ing me the dealer and sale rep you went through? (If you're not comfortable doing that no big deal).

I'm in the Denver area as well and may be in the market for a M2C this year (finally). Deals are definitely hard to come by around here.
No problem. I'm out the door to DC and back today, but I'll PM you when I have a chance.

R.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:29 AM   #238
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Well, when I bought It was for a car on the lot, and it was one I would have spec'd anyway. However, it had just arrived. When asking the dealer if the deal would be the same for an ordered vehicle, he was a bit vague and said it depends, etc etc. I only asked about ordering because I wouldn't have minded a car in a couple of months after the winter.

I got almost 10% off my M2C, but I'm sure if I have pursued the order route I would have been closer to 6-8%. It was year end and they like to move cars before the end of the year so I'm guessing I got the max possible back then.
Congrats, 10% is a nice take and very inspiring!

I have to stop reading these threads before I end up at a dealer today and make a hasty financial decision..
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 10:06 AM   #239
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post

I have to stop reading these threads before I end up at a dealer today and make a hasty financial decision..
I did, for exactly that reason. Perfect car i wanted, at the dealer. Dealer accepted my price. I waited another week, and car still there for me. I acted!

Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      01-04-2020, 12:32 PM   #240
aeroglava
Private First Class
Rep

So I was able to negotiate with my local dealer on the order they just placed for me and got the price down to $57,145. That obviously doesn't include doc fee, tax, title, but I was happy with that price. Thanks for all the feedback on here. I have no doubt it helped me get there from MSRP. It sounds like I'm now in for a 3 month wait or so. Any tips on how to make the wait go by faster?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 01:51 PM   #241
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You already have an m2. you can wait until model year 21 and the g80 details are out to make a more informed decision.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9107.50
      01-04-2020, 02:31 PM   #242
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:

You already have an m2. you can wait until model year 21 and the g80 details are out to make a more informed decision.
I hear you, I'm a 100% contented with my vehicle but seeing everyone with their new toy makes me feel like I'm missing out on something. #FirstWorldProblems

I'm going to be strong and wait it out, no point in financially stretching one selves when your current vehicle satisfies your every need.

Let's see what they have to offer in the next generation to make it worthwhile.
Appreciate 0