BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > May get slammed (2nd post) - why the m2?

04-07-2016, 11:58 PM   #23
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
its do to the price. i think you have to consider it when a used 235 is almost 20k less than an m2. does the m2 justify a 20k premium over a used 235i. and if you were going to spend 57k would you pay a 3k premium to get into an m4. id likelly find a 235 with some dinan add ons. i'm not looking to buy the cheapest or most expensive however i do like value. but the value angle is always going to lean towards used and the m2 isnt an option

what was your take on the m235 vs m4 given you have driven both?
The M4 could spin tires in the dry through at least third, and I didn't want to freak out the owner, or get pulled over, by trying that trick in fourth. Coming from a Dinan-suspended E36 M3, the M4 felt big around me, for lack of a better phrase, but not sloppy. Steering felt a little weird from center to off center, but accurate. Definitely got the feeling it had the power to bite me in the butt--which is a feeling I like. Not super chuckable.

M235i was stock, not a Dinan creation or anything. Much different experience. Engine note much more muted. Better steering feel at speed, in my opinion. Smaller, but not as tight as I like. I really think the first thing I would tweak if I got that car was suspension. Power respectable, for sure, but nothing that struck fear.

Last edited by BruceM; 04-08-2016 at 01:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 12:03 AM   #24
pruettfan
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, LBB, DCT, Exec

The great thing is there are lots of choices and all of them are good ones. I think the M2 will have a tight supply for a while, the cars you see on Auto Trader don't exist yet really or are not in stock so I don't know that the auto trader listings are an indication. I agree that the M2 lease terms suck. It will be interesting to see how long the tight supply lasts. In terms of the M2 versus the M235i the price of a loaded M235 and a M2 are very close and the M2 is clearly more car for the money but it won't be a good fit for everyone. All I care about is getting mine really.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 04:33 AM   #25
///M2-PILOT
M2 PILOT
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 ///M2 HEA LBB M-DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Msmall143 View Post
not to get all personal, but my wife (who the car is for) is 32 but has stage 4 breast cancer. Resale value has to be a consideration in case she dies and i then have to sell her or my vehicle. so its a balance of making sure she is happy and has some nicer things in a shortened life, but mitigating my financial risk for when the inevitable happens.

the purpose of my post was to understand how people evaluated the options they had. i'm curious from all angles not just price but also performance, size, etc. lets face it, m235i, m2, m4....there isnt a bad choice in the mix. im just curious how others came to the conclusion of the m2 when there are some interesting alternatives.
I'm very sorry for your wife. This is a terrible disease which impacts far to many lives. My thoughts and prayers are with you both.

In regards to cars, I personally would focus on a totally different class of car more in the line of a C class MB, or something with style and comfort for her. For anyone who is being treated for cancer to drive a car with all this torque and the ability to snap your neck when shifting from 1-2-3, really makes no sense in my book. Maybe you should reconsider your overal purchase assessment and focus on taking care of your wife needs for space and comfort.
      04-08-2016, 05:05 AM   #26
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Welcome here, and truly sorry for your wife...

Anyway, how is it to justify 991/458 etc prices vs Cayman/M2/3/4?

And they still are being sold. A lot.

If you don't feel the (price) difference you should off course go for the M235i, not kidding, but there is more to (sports)cars than their price.

Ford Focus RS?Great car!

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 08:59 AM   #27
Msmall143
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Welcome here, and truly sorry for your wife...

Anyway, how is it to justify 991/458 etc prices vs Cayman/M2/3/4?

And they still are being sold. A lot.

If you don't feel the (price) difference you should off course go for the M235i, not kidding, but there is more to (sports)cars than their price.

Ford Focus RS?Great car!

Cheers
Robin
im not worried about the initial price point. i was just considering depreciation. not really a fair comparison because its comparing new vs used. i think a new m2 is going to retain value much better than a new m235 or new 435i. i also think its a car i would end up keeping long term and just getting rid of my other car.
Appreciate 0
      04-08-2016, 09:26 AM   #28
Nine Lives
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Austin Maxi

Like the sentiments that have already been expressed a truly heartbreaking tale..my thoughts are with you.

If you value retention don't buy a new car !

As somebody has already stated the 1M is probably your safest bet for the outlay of a new M2.The M2 will probably hold out for the near future while demand is high,but later on is any body's guess.
Appreciate 0