BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Aquamist WMI Installed

04-09-2019, 09:48 PM   #23
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
So where do I spray? I plan to do 50/50 mix. My charge pipe has a bung for nozzle. Do I just do one nozzle there, or spray before the intercooler too?
If you're looking to spray on your vehicle, in my experience a CM10 does quite well with PS2. An even better solution would be two smaller nozzles that equate to a CM10 - CM12 to get better distribution and atomization to all six cylinders. I ran a CM10 and then tried a CM12 prior to switching to port methanol injection on my M2 and while it worked fine, you could see in the logs Cylinder 1 and 6 were not getting as much meth as Cylinder 3 and 4 - I suspect switching to two smaller nozzles would remedy that to some extent.

Best bet IMO would be 2x CM5 or 2x CM6!
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 11:01 AM   #24
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Thanks for the info guys. I'm doing this for cooling only, so I think that some of your concerns will not be as applicable in my situation. If I wanted to inject meth or alcohol for fueling, I'd use a real manifold solution like fuel it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 02:29 PM   #25
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. I'm doing this for cooling only, so I think that some of your concerns will not be as applicable in my situation. If I wanted to inject meth or alcohol for fueling, I'd use a real manifold solution like fuel it.
If you're using it for cooling only I recommend a really small jet and distilled water only, talk to Richard about it. I'll pm you his contact information and tell him what you need.

In regards to concerns the pre intercooler concern is still valid regardless of if you want to use it for cooling or fuelling because fluid pooling in the intercooler I'd bad for cooling efficiency and could cause hydrolock if bad enough.
Endeav388.50
      04-10-2019, 04:34 PM   #26
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
Quote:
If you're using it for cooling only I recommend a really small jet and distilled water only, talk to Richard about it. I'll pm you his contact information and tell him what you need.

In regards to concerns the pre intercooler concern is still valid regardless of if you want to use it for cooling or fuelling because fluid pooling in the intercooler I'd bad for cooling efficiency and could cause hydrolock if bad enough.
Awesome, thank you!

I got a screaming deal on an hsf-5 kit that was purchased 6 years ago but never used or installed...brand new. Do you see any issues with me using that?
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 04:42 PM   #27
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Awesome, thank you!

I got a screaming deal on an hsf-5 kit that was purchased 6 years ago but never used or installed...brand new. Do you see any issues with me using that?
I believe the hsf4 is the latest and greatest kit, and that has all the install instructions for wiring into the ECU, so I recommend getting a new cpu. Otherwise I don't know what changes were made between the hsf4 and hsf5 but I recommend using their latest model.
      04-10-2019, 05:18 PM   #28
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I believe the hsf4 is the latest and greatest kit, and that has all the install instructions for wiring into the ECU, so I recommend getting a new cpu. Otherwise I don't know what changes were made between the hsf4 and hsf5 but I recommend using their latest model.
I'm pretty sure that any changes made would be more inline with me using this as a reliable fuel source as opposed to cooling.

Here's the manual: http://howertonengineering.com/wp-st.../HFS-5-v3w.pdf

Do you see anything here that's going to be a show stopper? It all looks straight forward to me. Hardest part will be getting to the wiring and properly identifying it.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2019, 07:19 PM   #29
GerardzM
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Damn didn't even realize we were at HFS-5 already.

It's great that Endeav has found success with a CM10 with a PS2.

That's the recommended size for a stock turbo N55 but that seems like too much flow....I've caused misfires due to spraying too much too soon.

Currently use 1 5CM on stock turbo and its enough.

Ideal would be 5CMx2 to get better atomization.

If running one nozzle, best to use the bung right after the intercooler to give the mixture more length/time to cool everything before even entering through the throttlebody.

Closer to the intercooler the better...but only after the intercooler, not before as stated.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 10:16 AM   #30
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
I think I'm going to give this a shot to help combat IAT's on my setup. I'm glad the OP got this working and is happy on his M2. I had WI on my supercharged e36 back in the day. It was a very simple setup by a company called coolingmist IIRC. This aquamist setup seems to be quite a bit nicer.
Definitely go for it. With rising temps in Summer, this should keep the IAT's down and minimize heatsoaking.
      04-11-2019, 10:18 AM   #31
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm pretty sure that any changes made would be more inline with me using this as a reliable fuel source as opposed to cooling.

Here's the manual: http://howertonengineering.com/wp-st.../HFS-5-v3w.pdf

Do you see anything here that's going to be a show stopper? It all looks straight forward to me. Hardest part will be getting to the wiring and properly identifying it.
The wiring was definitely the most annoying part of this install. Wires are color coded which is supposed to make it easier, but every socket of the DME connectors has one or more of the color you want to plug into, so double-checking is key. The tight space when wiring in the engine bay is definitely a PITA. Besides that, it's a breeze.
      04-11-2019, 10:19 AM   #32
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I just went on the website and nothing shows up for HFS5, so
      04-11-2019, 11:17 AM   #33
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Quote:
It's an older system. My friend bought it years ago, but never installed it.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 11:50 AM   #34
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 963mw View Post
Yeah I don't believe the numbering is lineal for aquamist, hsf4 iirc should be the latest and greatest.
963mw331.00
      04-11-2019, 12:58 PM   #35
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I never got a PM. Could you send me that contact info when you have a chance please? Much appreciated
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 01:26 PM   #36
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I never got a PM. Could you send me that contact info when you have a chance please? Much appreciated
Sorry my bad, I'll get to it soon.
      04-11-2019, 05:35 PM   #37
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endeav View Post
Quote:
So where do I spray? I plan to do 50/50 mix. My charge pipe has a bung for nozzle. Do I just do one nozzle there, or spray before the intercooler too?
If you're looking to spray on your vehicle, in my experience a CM10 does quite well with PS2. An even better solution would be two smaller nozzles that equate to a CM10 - CM12 to get better distribution and atomization to all six cylinders. I ran a CM10 and then tried a CM12 prior to switching to port methanol injection on my M2 and while it worked fine, you could see in the logs Cylinder 1 and 6 were not getting as much meth as Cylinder 3 and 4 - I suspect switching to two smaller nozzles would remedy that to some extent.

Best bet IMO would be 2x CM5 or 2x CM6!
I'm thinking of maybe doing 2 nozzles, like you suggested. One in charge pipe bung & one in a throttle body spacer....
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 05:38 PM   #38
963mw
BMW Fanatic
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yeah I don't believe the numbering is lineal for aquamist, hsf4 iirc should be the latest and greatest.
+1
      04-11-2019, 06:52 PM   #39
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm thinking of maybe doing 2 nozzles, like you suggested. One in charge pipe bung & one in a throttle body spacer....
No that's not a good idea. Go double jets but have them both in the charge pipe because you want as much time as possible to have the mixture atomize. A throttle body spacer may be too close for proper atomization to be achieved, especially since the throttle body is not a perfect pipe as there is a throttle plate there and other objects that can disturb atomization and cause the droplets to not enter the air stream fall out of suspension prematurely.

I don't know if aquamist will support products that were not purchased directly through them, or are too old but you'll have to discuss that with Richard, and he will run you through the setup. Trust me once you've got this thing dialled in you will be extremely happy.

As a side note I'll email richard tonight and let him know what is up and PM you his info, sorry for the delay I've been extremely busy.
      04-11-2019, 07:47 PM   #40
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

I'm not surprised that you said the TBI is not ideal. It was more of an idea, like spraying before the intercooler was. I read that the TBI kits were discontinued a while back, and are no longer supported.

I'm not even sure what's all included (nozzle-wise) with the hsf-5 that I'm buying tomorrow. I really should hold off until I speak with Richard, but I'm not passing up on this deal. I can resell it for profit later on, if it doesn't meet my needs.
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:50 PM   #41
dew343
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

I would for sure reach out to Richard .On the aquamist forum their is no forum for the 5 only the 3,4, and 6 some thing odd about that . A quick internet search shows some info did not see any current info only from 2007 to 2012 .Aquamist online store has no listing or product parts on the site for the 5 .From what I can see the latest offering is the hsf4 for DI motors
Michael
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 10:01 PM   #42
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I'm not surprised that you said the TBI is not ideal. It was more of an idea, like spraying before the intercooler was. I read that the TBI kits were discontinued a while back, and are no longer supported.

I'm not even sure what's all included (nozzle-wise) with the hsf-5 that I'm buying tomorrow. I really should hold off until I speak with Richard, but I'm not passing up on this deal. I can resell it for profit later on, if it doesn't meet my needs.
Yeah get the HSF4, I emailed Richard earlier today, and I'll pass over his info once I get the ok from him.

I don't think you can flip it for a profit because everyone wants the HSF4 and as the other user just said they don't sell HSF5 parts readily anymore.
      04-11-2019, 10:48 PM   #43
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Yeah get the HSF4, I emailed Richard earlier today, and I'll pass over his info once I get the ok from him.

I don't think you can flip it for a profit because everyone wants the HSF4 and as the other user just said they don't sell HSF5 parts readily anymore.
Yeah thanks guys. I just bailed on my deal. I did sign up for the aquamist forum. I'm waiting for admin approval.
Appreciate 1
      04-12-2019, 02:14 AM   #44
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Yeah thanks guys. I just bailed on my deal. I did sign up for the aquamist forum. I'm waiting for admin approval.
Sounds good, I'll let you know when Richard replies, he's typically really good via email despite the time zone differences as they're in the UK.