BMW M2 Forum > Regional Forums > UK > ASD bypass

05-06-2019, 07:30 AM   #1
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 COMPETITION

ASD bypass

Hi everyone, posting this in the UK section because I was wondering if there is any way to get the ASD bypass kit in UK/Europe and avoid the import duty taxes.

Is there any European producer of the equivalent of this:

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/

Where did you get yours if you did?

Thanks for your help.
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 06:21 AM   #2
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by _debo View Post
Hi everyone, posting this in the UK section because I was wondering if there is any way to get the ASD bypass kit in UK/Europe and avoid the import duty taxes.

Is there any European producer of the equivalent of this:

https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/

Where did you get yours if you did?

Thanks for your help.
Not that I am aware of. I ordered mine from the US and paid about £25 import fees. Well worth it in my opinion.
      05-07-2019, 08:46 AM   #3
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
Not that I am aware of. I ordered mine from the US and paid about £25 import fees. Well worth it in my opinion.
How much was the total? 55USD + 25GBP + ?Shipping?
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2019, 08:48 AM   #4
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _debo View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karlosm2c View Post
How much was the total? 55USD + 25GBP + ?Shipping?
It was circa £110 include import taxes.
      05-07-2019, 09:01 AM   #5
_debo
Private First Class
United Kingdom
Rep

Holy moly... £110 for a bypass cable? Also that's a lot in shipping fees isn't it?
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 09:35 AM   #6
jaffamuffin
Registered
Rep
Drives: bmw m140i

Hi

I'm looking forward to getting rid of the background drone from the car with this addition, the ASD harness.

I have a m140i . I have the default HK stereo I think, but the shadow had an upgraded stereo system ?

Will the harness fit all the systems or do I need to worry about my specific stereo ?

I've emailed the website but just awaiting a reply, searching about I thought this fairly recent thread might be ableto help mean while.

Thanks

Last edited by jaffamuffin; 11-25-2019 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: extra
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2019, 04:21 PM   #7
robmx
Private
Rep
Drives: M2

I started off not being bothered by ASD, but now it's really wearing on me. Especially now we're in the winter with my windows rolled up most of the time.

Does anyone know what this is and whether it does the same thing?

https://www.audison.eu/products/ap-h-asd-bypass/

It's on a .eu website, so maybe available from UK Audison dealers.
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 05:03 AM   #8
robmx
Private
Rep

Ok, I did some more digging this morning and found this.

https://www.carfeature.de/en/hifi-na...d-bypass-cable

Have been informed by the supplier and the UK Gladen distributor that it is the correct part. Unfortunately the UK distributor doesn't sell them individually, just as part of the audio upgrade kits (which look pretty good I might add). So I've just ordered one from the link above coming in at about £50 delivered.

Much better than £110!
Appreciate 0
      11-26-2019, 06:32 AM   #9
jaffamuffin
Registered
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmx View Post
Ok, I did some more digging this morning and found this.

Have been informed by the supplier and the UK Gladen distributor that it is the correct part. Unfortunately the UK distributor doesn't sell them individually, just as part of the audio upgrade kits (which look pretty good I might add). So I've just ordered one from the link above coming in at about £50 delivered.

Much better than £110!
OK So I just ordered one as well. 2 days delivery quoted as well.... Didn't hear back from the company in the OP. Hopefully this will fit right in to the 140i and all will be well.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 06:01 AM   #10
jaffamuffin
Registered
Rep

robmx has your arrive yet ? Stli waitiing for mine should take tht long to come from germany? I got an email saying it was shipped but ii never create an account so i can't track it
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2019, 10:02 AM   #11
robmx
Private
Rep

Yes mate, mine arrived on Monday. Didn't create an account either, but got emails to say it was dispatched and then a message from DHL telling me the delivery date a couple of days later.

Not got round to fitting it yet though.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2019, 08:08 AM   #12
jaffamuffin
Registered
Rep

Awesome.

I had to chase up the supplier who said it was delivered, then i chase up ukmail/dhl and they say they delivered it with a signature, but oops no we didn’t. .... so they ‘redelivered‘ the ‘already delivered’ parcel and i got it.

Anyway —- on the m140i it couldn't be easier literally 1 minute to fit it behind the first aid flap. Unclip, unplug replug reclip. So easy. All these guides must be for m2 (boot seal, undoing the nut etc... do not need to do any of that on the m140)

But the plug did not seem to fit the keying was slight off on both ends. I used a pen knife and just notched a couple of mm from the key moulding and assumed it would be fine. It was and holy shit —- I should have done this on day 1.. 1000% more pleasant to be in the car. No stupid droning when going into sport mode. No stupid droning at all in fact. Stereo sounds clearer dones’t need to be as loud, and yes you can have a nice convo at 70+mph which before was actually difficult to do. No hissing or any other issues this is 100% bona fide imporvement that should have been from the factory. I can’t believe the difference is so good. It’s like a new car.

Sometimes i do 50-60 mile motorway at night. Quiet, no radio, cruise at 75mph and it was really getting right on my tits even in comfort, but now it’s like a weight has been lifted from my ears ahhhhhh it’s so , so much better.
Appreciate 1
robmx46.50
      12-11-2019, 03:00 PM   #13
robmx
Private
Rep

I fitted mine today at work. Was relatively easy, but like you, I had to have a little nibble at the connectors with a Stanley knife to make the kit fit. Glad you’d done that as I felt a bit more comfortable knowing the end result would probably be ok.

Anyways, after my commute I’m amazed at how much noise that little box was creating, I realised there was an artificial element to what I was hearing, but I didn’t realise the extent of it. In Sport modes it’s night and day, almost disconcertingly quiet at first without the faked induction roar. I like it though, it’s loads more pleasant in the cabin and I can now drive in sport and still enjoy my music. Can also appreciate the exhaust a lot more and even pick up turbo noises that were well hidden before when I turn the music off. All in all, it’s £50 well spent in my eyes.

A shame you can’t just turn it on and off though, I miss the ‘Individual’ mode I used to have in my Golf where you could turn the engine (sound) on and off as you pleased. But then again, I don’t think I ever turned it on for very long, if at all.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2020, 09:31 PM   #14
iooal3xooi
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 comp

I have a spare one for sale. If anyone is interested direct message me.

Sold.

Last edited by iooal3xooi; 01-19-2020 at 12:06 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2020, 05:48 PM   #15
spenny_b
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Comp, HS

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by iooal3xooi View Post
I have a spare one for sale. If anyone is interested direct message me.
Have just PM’d you,

Ta
Spencer
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 05:01 AM   #16
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Found this also.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/392580055300

My worry is if the wires are connected wrong and causing damage to the system?
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2020, 05:46 PM   #17
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Has anyone tried this ebay bypass? It says pnp, But wires don't look the same?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PnP-ASD-B...YAAOSw1add7tgB

Is this better option?

Appreciate 0
      07-15-2020, 05:41 AM   #18
Megator
Captain
Rep

Why not use Bimmercode? costs half as much and lets you do much much more.

Takes 5min to program ASD off.
      07-16-2020, 10:11 AM   #19
Lost in München
Private
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2 competition

Beacuse of the hissing sound when stationary.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2020, 03:56 AM   #20
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost in München View Post
Beacuse of the hissing sound when stationary.
I have 0 hiss... didnt even know that was supposed to be a thing.
      09-22-2023, 05:44 AM   #21
Cbobbit
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 OG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by robmx View Post
I fitted mine today at work. Was relatively easy, but like you, I had to have a little nibble at the connectors with a Stanley knife to make the kit fit. Glad you’d done that as I felt a bit more comfortable knowing the end result would probably be ok.

Anyways, after my commute I’m amazed at how much noise that little box was creating, I realised there was an artificial element to what I was hearing, but I didn’t realise the extent of it. In Sport modes it’s night and day, almost disconcertingly quiet at first without the faked induction roar. I like it though, it’s loads more pleasant in the cabin and I can now drive in sport and still enjoy my music. Can also appreciate the exhaust a lot more and even pick up turbo noises that were well hidden before when I turn the music off. All in all, it’s £50 well spent in my eyes.

A shame you can’t just turn it on and off though, I miss the ‘Individual’ mode I used to have in my Golf where you could turn the engine (sound) on and off as you pleased. But then again, I don’t think I ever turned it on for very long, if at all.
Hi Everyone, I want to revive this thread a little as it seems to be the only alternative source for UK based owners who don't want to pay the extortionate shipping and tax on the Technic PnP harness.

I have just ordered the same harness from Germany, made sure the sign up to the site so I can track shipping.

robmx Keen to understand what you mean by "have a little nibble at the connectors", did you have to create notches or shorten how deep the pins sit?

Either way, knowing it worked for you and jaffamuffin gives me hope.

It cost me £62 as were a few years on now, just couldn't bring myself to by the Technic PnP one. What a rip off!
Appreciate 1
gnx751.50
      09-26-2023, 10:01 AM   #22
Cbobbit
Registered
Rep
Drives: M2 OG LCI

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cbobbit View Post
Hi Everyone, I want to revive this thread a little as it seems to be the only alternative source for UK based owners who don't want to pay the extortionate shipping and tax on the Technic PnP harness.

I have just ordered the same harness from Germany, made sure the sign up to the site so I can track shipping.

robmx Keen to understand what you mean by "have a little nibble at the connectors", did you have to create notches or shorten how deep the pins sit?

Either way, knowing it worked for you and jaffamuffin gives me hope.

It cost me £62 as were a few years on now, just couldn't bring myself to by the Technic PnP one. What a rip off!
I received the harness yesterday and for the most part it feels well made.

I have now fitted it to the car which was pretty easy and it works as expected. For those wondering, you will have to use a knife to cut some bits of plastic off both ends of the harness. The notches that ensure it all aligns as you plug it in are not the same, you can cut the additional bits off which took me about 20 minutes and was a bit of a pain to do neatly.

My only other comment is that the pins in the white connector are a little flimsy. When I first plugged this end in a couple of the pins bent, but I managed to bend them back and got it to fit in.

Just went for a drive and it's strange after having ASD for the 6 months I have had the car. I like that I can hear the engine, exhaust and turbo as well as being able to listen to music without the drone from the speakers. When driving without any music it makes all the noises such as plastic fitments poorly fitted creaking really stand out.

Overall really happy with the result and for half the price of the Technic PnP harness it is a good option for those in Europe.
Appreciate 0