BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Gasket Replacement with new DP & Intercooler?

03-10-2018, 08:15 AM   #1
60HawkDriver83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Gasket Replacement with new DP & Intercooler?

My 2018 M2 has just over 1200 miles in the month I've owned it, just completed the break-in service, and now it's time to install my new Fabspeed Sport Cat DP when it arrives next week.

With so few miles on the vehicle, is it necessary to replace the gasket and/or clamps when installing the new sport cat? If so, does anyone have a link for where I can purchase these items?

Secondly, I'm also upgading the stock IC with an Active Autowerkes IC (not replacing the charge pipes at this time...). Are there any sort of gaskets on the attachment fittings to the stock charge pipes that need to be replaced? If so, does anyone have a link for where I can purchase these items?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 10:19 AM   #2
Endeav
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BRG G80 M3

I had my OEM downpipe swapped out for the Fabspeed Catless one at 4000kms (2450 miles) and the dealership did not swap the gasket out for a new one.

As for the intercooler, nope! No fittings or gaskets need to be replaced for that job.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #3
NO_USER_
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: .

There's no need, I swapped out the gasket and clamps...but that's because I love to swap out stuff HAHA.

Looking at the "old" and new one...both looked to be in the same condition. And I swapped around 1500 miles or so I think?

So, no, save your money

For the intercooler, nothing to replace, the charge pipes do have O-Rings in them which you would transfer to your new charge pipe (although the FTP Motorsport charge pipes come with new O-Rings and C-clips). Also, if you haven't already purchased the AA intercooler, don't get it...get a Wagner or CSF if you want actual performance increase in cooling.
Appreciate 0
      03-10-2018, 02:16 PM   #4
M2guru
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
To add to the list of replies, I did mine at 700 and didn't replace the gasket.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2018, 01:24 PM   #5
Gimmethecash
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F90 M5 Comp

I’ve swapped downpipes 3 times (-> Fabspeed, -> stock, -> Fabspeed). I’m still using the original clamps without issue, gasket is still on the stock DP.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2018, 07:32 AM   #6
60HawkDriver83
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Thanks for the info!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tehboost View Post
There's no need, I swapped out the gasket and clamps...but that's because I love to swap out stuff HAHA.

Looking at the "old" and new one...both looked to be in the same condition. And I swapped around 1500 miles or so I think?

So, no, save your money

For the intercooler, nothing to replace, the charge pipes do have O-Rings in them which you would transfer to your new charge pipe (although the FTP Motorsport charge pipes come with new O-Rings and C-clips). Also, if you haven't already purchased the AA intercooler, don't get it...get a Wagner or CSF if you want actual performance increase in cooling.
The AA & CSF intercoolers are both on backorder for at least 4 weeks, so upon the advice of Mike from X-PH, I ended up shelling out another couple hundred bucks for the Wagner Comp EVO 2. Looking forward to feeling the difference with new K&N drop-in filter, Fabspeed sport cat DP, Dinan STG 1, and the Wagner IC installed all in one go...

Brian L
Appreciate 0