BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Tuned M2 Competition vs 911 GT3RS on Nurburgring

05-22-2020, 11:05 PM   #67
D22M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: Not a real M Car

So much wishful on this thread. lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2020, 01:06 PM   #68
Commanderwiggin
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C - X3M - Turbo E46 M3 - 45E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Staszek View Post
Did you watch the entire video? He was in traffic the entire time. Once it was clear the GT3 couldnt keep up no way he would have passed him.
Read the rest of the posts; regardless the M2C was not the faster car here.
      05-24-2020, 04:17 AM   #69
Boss330
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

What can we draw from this video?

Two drivers are driving their respective cars during tourist rides on the Nürburgring.
One car is white and one is orange.
One is a BMW and the other a Porsche.
Both probably had a good time and enjoyed themselves.
Driver of Porsche does not go as fast as the car is capable of in some sections (not traffic related).

What can't be drawn from this video?

How hard BMW driver is pushing in the sections the Porsche driver eases of.

Conclusion:
Inconclusive due to lack of useable data... 😉

But put same driver in both cars with a max attack lap and the GT3 RS would be quicker.
Appreciate 3
CanAutM321104.50
cptobvious2531.50
willjames708.00
      05-24-2020, 10:48 AM   #70
adc
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 F80 M3 ED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
He stated it was Pirelli Trofeo R under the youtube comments

It's aero settings that provides the added grip at high speed. According to AC Schnitzer, a wing on the M2 provides 100kg of downforce at 200kmh, 170kg at 225kmh and over 230kg at 250kmh
That means, in fast corners you would have 2 extra really fat guys in the trunk. If there isn’t any front aero to balance the rear wing, I don’t see how it is actually helpful. I guess that is why the M Performance wing is mostly cosmetic.

2018 F80 Santorini
2019 Z4 3.0i
2022 X2 M35i
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 02:54 AM   #71
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by adc View Post
That means, in fast corners you would have 2 extra really fat guys in the trunk. If there isn’t any front aero to balance the rear wing, I don’t see how it is actually helpful. I guess that is why the M Performance wing is mostly cosmetic.
Of course it would be helpful...full throttle out of fast corners at or even before apex might be possible because of the down force

The weight distribution on the M2C is front bias so naturally the font sticks better than the rear if running square and one would go for a rear wing first to balance that out. The flip side of that is because of that front bias weight usually the front tyres will overheat first and lead to understeer.

A front lip is missing on the car so yes there is still room for more speed from more aero without looking like an all out time attack car.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 05-26-2020 at 03:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 12:21 PM   #72
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep
Drives: E90M/E92M/M4GTS/M4GT4/X5M

Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commanderwiggin View Post
these folks who think the M2 is faster need a reality check
Quote:
Originally Posted by capt_and View Post
Very entertaining to hear people say that the "tuned M2C" is faster than a "GT3RS". People realize that the cars don't drive themselves right? My spec Miata with 117hp isn't faster than a GT3RS, Vipers, Corvettes, McLarens,etc. I have plenty of video passing those cars.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXE46 View Post
Since when is a tuned M2C a match for GT3RS. All we can say here is that the M2C has a better driver. The Porsche is in another realm of performance/handling.
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
An M2C simply isn't in the same league as a GT3RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanAutM3 View Post
With equal drivers, there's no M2C that can keep up with a GT3RS.
Quote:
Originally Posted by yk36 View Post
I own a M4 but sorry BMW fans, no M cars can keep up with a GT3RS or any 911s in general.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fenerbahce View Post
modern GT3 is on another level
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss330 View Post
But put same driver in both cars with a max attack lap and the GT3 RS would be quicker.
So did all of you read what the owner of the M2C says in the youtube comments?

It's what I'm always saying - some light modding to M cars, and the latest and greatest GT3's & GT3 RS's are perfectly within reach, and it's drivers skills that tilt the balance in favor of one or the other being faster at the track. And no, that doesn't mean the BMW needs to have a pro driver vs a complete rookie in the GT3 either!

But please, do keep comparing ring times and thinking a GT3 should be able to crush an M 'because the spec sheet says so', it makes it so much fun

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlazierGlaze View Post
Lol some real clowns on this forum if you think that a tuned M2C is giving any trouble to a .2 3RS. M2C should have moved over several times. The 3RS driver also sucks.

Get your heads out of the brands ass.
Sounds like some really brave statements - so you're a better driver than the one in the 3RS in the video, right? Please, do share some of your videos at the track so we can be awed and schooled by your prowess behind the wheel!

And it doesn't seem like others are the ones lost in dark places, perhaps you can be enlightened by reading the M2C owner's comments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by MystroX5 View Post
You get to the point with high performance cars that the driver is really the most important element.
(...)
The internet is full of armchair racing experts that never have attended a single club race, let alone raced their actual car.
(...)
ItÂ’s a rookie move and hard lesson to assume price of vehicle =Â’s faster on the race track when you get to a certain level of performance cars with similar hp figures. This mentality is driven by marketing and image more than reality and automakers exploit it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ragged Edge View Post
A lightened M2C with 487hp is quick enough with that driver at the wheel!
Precisely! You can clearly tell the armchair racers from people that actually flog their cars at the track, what's disappointing is how many folks that go to the track still think they should buy their way into faster times by upping the hardware, when they are nowhere near the capabilities of the car. Gotta mod the driver...
Appreciate 5
MystroX56246.00
Davil6333.50
AUSf222687.00
Robin_NL8679.50
      05-27-2020, 02:17 PM   #73
MystroX5
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7 M50i/ 911

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYT_Shadow View Post

It's what I'm always saying - some light modding to M cars, and the latest and greatest GT3's & GT3 RS's are perfectly within reach, and it's drivers skills that tilt the balance in favor of one or the other being faster at the track. And no, that doesn't mean the BMW needs to have a pro driver vs a complete rookie in the GT3 either!

But please, do keep comparing ring times and thinking a GT3 should be able to crush an M 'because the spec sheet says so', it makes it so much fun

Sounds like some really brave statements - so you're a better driver than the one in the 3RS in the video, right? Please, do share some of your videos at the track so we can be awed and schooled by your prowess behind the wheel!

And it doesn't seem like others are the ones lost in dark places, perhaps you can be enlightened by reading the M2C owner's comments?

Precisely! You can clearly tell the armchair racers from people that actually flog their cars at the track, what's disappointing is how many folks that go to the track still think they should buy their way into faster times by upping the hardware, when they are nowhere near the capabilities of the car. Gotta mod the driver...
Thank you for all the research you did to get the entire story from both drivers. Absolutely priceless when the GT3 RS driver said the little humble M2 Competition was pulling away from him.. Even more priceless when the M2C owner admitted he owned a GT3 RS and wanted a faster purpose built Ring car and choose the M2C. I am seeing I am not the only other multi 911 vehicle owner that has chosen the new M2C over another 911.
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
BlkSVT388.50
Robin_NL8679.50
      05-27-2020, 02:27 PM   #74
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Thank you for all the research you did to get the entire story from both drivers. Absolutely priceless when the GT3 RS driver said the little humble M2 Competition was pulling away from him.. Even more priceless when the M2C owner admitted he owned a GT3 RS and wanted a faster purpose built Ring car and choose the M2C. I am seeing I am not the only other multi 911 vehicle owner that has chosen the new M2C over another 911.

In general people have to stop their fantasies about car X or car Y and learn to drive whatever they have now.
Their cars are not holding them back, it is their driving skills.

People feel like they need a 991 GT3 RS to crack 2:10 at the Glen... it's so sad. Their regular M3 with suspension and brakes already accomplishes that.

The same thought processes that make a regular M3 owner bow down to the 'unbeatable' GT3 RS is what makes them not push at the track.
"oh no my car is too heavy"
"oh no I don't have mod X"
"oh no my car is not a purpose built sports car"
These same drivers one day will scrape together enough dough to buy a 991 GT3 RS and will continue to be pathetically slow.

Last edited by SYT_Shadow; 06-18-2020 at 11:59 AM..
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      06-18-2020, 12:59 PM   #75
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:

I can’t see an M2 tuned beating me in a regular GT3 or GT3rs. Just won’t happen and I’m not a good driver neither.
🤣😂🤣 🔥 🔥
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:01 PM   #76
SYT_Shadow
///M Powered for Life
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
I can’t see an M2 tuned beating me in a regular GT3 or GT3rs. Just won’t happen and I’m not a good driver neither.
🤣😂🤣 🔥 🔥
Stop stirring the pot!!!!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2020, 01:03 PM   #77
IMG
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IMG View Post
🤣😂🤣 🔥 🔥
Stop stirring the pot!!!!!!
Yes yes 🤣😂. We can discuss over a thin Sicilian 🤗😘
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      06-18-2020, 01:58 PM   #78
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Sold His Porsche 991 GT3 RS & Bought a Schirmer E…:

Pot stir
Appreciate 1
SYT_Shadow11421.00
      06-18-2020, 04:56 PM   #79
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
I have 30 years of 911 ownership and 12 years of club racing 930’s and 2 C4S models with a pretty health race budget towards the end. After 30 years in PCA, I have switched gears and have been a concourse judge and officer. It’s cheaper and my cars look better.

You get to the point with high performance cars that the driver is really the most important element. I use to see it when I club raced in PCA. O.k drivers with deep pockets would try to buy their way out of their inexperience. It never worked other than I did see a clear advantage with owners of identical cars and the PDK transmission were clearly faster at tracks like Watkins Glen. The great thing about these Nürburgring videos is owners actually using their cars hard. The internet is full of armchair racing experts that never have attended a single club race, let alone raced their actual car. Most people would be terrified just to ride along on a lap of the Ring let alone race on it.

98% of Porsche “GT class” owners are too scared to get a scratch on them and the most they get driven is to cars and coffee. They are not factory race cars but commodities and attract those type of owners. To see one actually being race in the above videos is refreshing.
By far the hardest raced Porsche models in the North East region of PCA is the Boxster/Cayman. These owners will really set their cars up and play hard. As a 911 owner I will let the dirty little secret out that you watch out for these guys. They destroy most 911’s on the track costing 6 times as much money. I don’t think it’s just economic reasons either. It’s a rookie move and hard lesson to assume price of vehicle =’s faster on the race track when you get to a certain level of performance cars with similar hp figures. This mentality is driven by marketing and image more than reality and automakers exploit it.
Mystro

What a great post . . .

///AVM
Appreciate 1
MystroX56246.00
      06-18-2020, 04:57 PM   #80
///AVM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3C

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Sold His Porsche 991 GT3 RS & Bought a Schirmer E…:

Pot stir
Dave

Just looking at the still pic of your video post makes me really appreciate where BMW was not too long ago design-wise. The front fender flare and overall design are awesome!!! Makes you instantly recognize the vehicle as a BMW . . . for all the right reasons. Not to mention, it is not the size of tank. Just a stunning piece of machinery. I have not watched the video as of yet - I will though - but I have no doubt that baby is a racer.

///AVM
Appreciate 0
      06-19-2020, 07:40 AM   #81
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:

In general people have to stop their fantasies about car X or car Y and learn to drive whatever they have now.
Their cars are not holding them back, it is their driving skills.

People feel like they need a 991 GT3 RS to crack 2:10 at the Glen... it's so sad. Their regular M3 with suspension and brakes already accomplishes that.

The same thought processes that make a regular M3 owner bow down to the 'unbeatable' GT3 RS is what makes them not push at the track.
"oh no my car is too heavy"
"oh no I don't have mod X"
"oh no my car is not a purpose built sports car"
These same drivers one day will scrape together enough dough to buy a 991 GT3 RS and will continue to be pathetically slow.
Maybe getting the expensive fast car is an admittance that they're not a good enough driver in a slow car to be fast. I'm the first to admit that I have a ways to go, with only 1 VIR HPDE per year, I can't get to the level of a friend who's nearly 10 seconds a lap faster in nearly equivalent M2Cs. He did have camber plates and better tires. PS: He's now in a dedicated track car to avoid ruining a nice M2C. PPS: Neither of us can touch the speed of dedicated club racers or pros at the track.
Appreciate 2
///AVM2528.00
Brandt51839.50
      06-19-2020, 07:42 PM   #82
Brandt51
Flavor of the month
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW F87  [9.50]
This thread is great. I don't have FB, but there's enough drama in here for me to be content.
2020 F87 M2 Comp
Appreciate 3
SYT_Shadow11421.00
cptobvious2531.50
IMG1118.50