BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Ultimate Clutch Pedal

06-03-2020, 01:51 PM   #23
mzcp
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
If you have the ability to install it and already have the part, I'd say go for it. Flushing the fluid seems to be one of the biggest sticking points for people, and you've addressed that problem by just flushing all the fluid

The biggest difference for me was that sometimes when I thought I hit a perfectly timed shift, it wasn't smooth. I blamed myself (what else could it be), but once I did the CDV delete, my perceptions and reality merged.
Ok got it. Thank you
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 05:23 PM   #24
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition, HS6MT

Just an adjustment update,

I had originally set it using all factory springs on the "race" setting. At first I liked the firm engagement but after a month of use I came to loathe the "poppy" nature. It made the shifts from 1st to 2nd around town a bit too jerky and hard to control. I found myself spending too much leg energy "managing" the pop point rather than enjoying the drive.

Talking with another user of the UCP and he had removed the large spring and put it on the sport setting and that was perfect for him.

I spent today trying all the settings with test drives back to back. I tried removing the larger spring, in the sport setting. Felt decent. No more pop.. but a bit wobbly at the top of the pedal.

I then tried it in sport with all springs - this is the most popular setting from what I read on UCP threads. It stiffened up a bit, but undesirable "pop" returned.

Then I tried all springs with the "stock" position. No pop, Felt very much like removing the big spring in the sport setting but more stable at the top of the travel and a bit more firm.

I ended up with the "stock" spring position with all springs. The travel feels smooth. No wobbles. There is no "pop" point like in the other settings. I think this is the ideal geometry for the assembly. I believe the big spring adds rigidity to the assembly, takes out play, and adds slight stiffness to travel. Moving the pivot point towards the arm increases stiffness but also pop, which I did not like.

The UCP benefits in the "stock" setting are still a shorter travel and better pedal position which is what I was after.

Hope this is helpful to those of you who want to tinker with it. Don't be afraid of the "stock" setting like I was. It is still a major improvement over stock pedal.
Appreciate 6
      06-21-2020, 07:48 PM   #25
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFM2C6MT View Post

I had originally set it using all factory springs on the "race" setting. At first I liked the firm engagement but after a month of use I came to loathe the "poppy" nature. It made the shifts from 1st to 2nd around town a bit too jerky and hard to control. I found myself spending too much leg energy "managing" the pop point rather than enjoying the drive.

Talking with another user of the UCP and he had removed the large spring and put it on the sport setting and that was perfect for him.

I spent today trying all the settings with test drives back to back. I tried removing the larger spring, in the sport setting. Felt decent. No more pop.. but a bit wobbly at the top of the pedal.

I then tried it in sport with all springs - this is the most popular setting from what I read on UCP threads. It stiffened up a bit, but undesirable "pop" returned.

Then I tried all springs with the "stock" position. No pop, Felt very much like removing the big spring in the sport setting but more stable at the top of the travel and a bit more firm.

I ended up with the "stock" spring position with all springs. The travel feels smooth. No wobbles. There is no "pop" point like in the other settings. I think this is the ideal geometry for the assembly. I believe the big spring adds rigidity to the assembly, takes out play, and adds slight stiffness to travel. Moving the pivot point towards the arm increases stiffness but also pop, which I did not like.

The UCP benefits in the "stock" setting are still a shorter travel and better pedal position which is what I was after.

Hope this is helpful to those of you who want to tinker with it. Don't be afraid of the "stock" setting like I was. It is still a major improvement over stock pedal.
This is very helpful. The pop sometimes just drives me up the wall in casual non aggressive driving situations around town. Going to try this next.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 10:45 PM   #26
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:

Very interesting. How did you adjust the over-center spring positions? Did you have to remove or uninstall anything (like the master cylinder pin/bolt)? I may have to try this...
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2020, 11:42 PM   #27
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by RocketBoots View Post
Quote:

Very interesting. How did you adjust the over-center spring positions? Did you have to remove or uninstall anything (like the master cylinder pin/bolt)? I may have to try this...
Yes I had pop out the clutch cylinder shoulder bolt and disconnect the light spring each time. This gives the pedal the freedom to easily reposition the over center spring.

Hardest part of this is getting the clutch cylinder shoulder bolt out each time, it's a bit of a snug fit. Use your socket wrench to tap on the end of the threads to knock it loose and you won't have an issue.
Appreciate 0
      06-22-2020, 09:25 PM   #28
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

You sweet beautiful son of a b****. Just did this tonight, and the pop is gone. Finally! (Although after accidentally putting it in the race position and having my arms fail me lol). Thanks!
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 2
SFM2C6MT175.00
      06-22-2020, 11:44 PM   #29
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep

Glad it helped. I have to say. I was driving today and was having an absolute blast with my mind off the pedal pop - much more smooth experience.
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      06-23-2020, 06:58 PM   #30
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Can you guys post pics of your pedals... mine is so crooked, but I can't imagine I messed up the install... and the function has been normal, without any issues

Last edited by Malakas; 06-23-2020 at 07:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2020, 08:46 PM   #31
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Can you guys post pics of your pedals... mine is so crooked, but I can't imagine I messed up the install... and the function has been normal, without any issues
Mine is slightly crooked but the position and feeling is perfect, and since I don't look at my pedals ever, I was cool with it.
Appreciate 1
Malakas465.00
      06-23-2020, 08:47 PM   #32
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Glad it helped. I have to say. I was driving today and was having an absolute blast with my mind off the pedal pop - much more smooth experience.
Today was the first full day with it, and you are right on. Much more pleasant experience without the pop for every day driving.
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 05:57 PM   #33
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C (6MT) & X3MC

Quote:

Hi, I just want to make sure I understand correctly about the placement.

The holes that you are referring to are:

Stock (Farthest from Pedal, closest to Engine)
Sport (Middle Hole)
Race (Closest to Pedal, Furthest from Engine)

Is that correct? Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      06-24-2020, 06:09 PM   #34
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midtown2020 View Post
Quote:

Sport (Middle Hole)

Yes correct
Appreciate 1
      06-24-2020, 06:35 PM   #35
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Sport (Middle Hole)

Yes correct
I put mine in the middle, because, well it's the middle. Not too this, not to that. I'm super excited to try out stock this weekend. The whole clutch/shift experience has slowly been bothering me more and more. Hopefully this will help! Thank you for trying out various combinations!
Appreciate 1
SFM2C6MT175.00
      06-27-2020, 04:11 PM   #36
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Mine is slightly crooked but the position and feeling is perfect, and since I don't look at my pedals ever, I was cool with it.
Cool, thanks for the feedback.
2012 - 5.2L R8 v10, 6MT
2011 - 4.0L E92 M3, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 06:08 PM   #37
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

I changed my UCP to the "stock" spring position today. Working in 90 degree, humid Houston weather. Got in to test drive and car won't start! It gives me the "Depress the clutch to start the car" message. Of course I was doing that already, so I pumped the clutch a bunch of times, but it didn't help. Had to stop for the day, so wasn't able to troubleshoot any further.

The only things I can think of are;
Air in the lines, needs more pumping?
My clutch stop needs to be less thick, now that I am in the new spring position?
Somehow in my haste I missed the eyehole when attaching the master cylinder to the ucp with the bolt? Hard to believe I would have done that, but it's possible.

Anyone have any ideas?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      06-27-2020, 08:25 PM   #38
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I changed my UCP to the "stock" spring position today. Working in 90 degree, humid Houston weather. Got in to test drive and car won't start! It gives me the "Depress the clutch to start the car" message. Of course I was doing that already, so I pumped the clutch a bunch of times, but it didn't help. Had to stop for the day, so wasn't able to troubleshoot any further.

My clutch stop needs to be less thick, now that I am in the new spring position?
Somehow in my haste I missed the eyehole when attaching the master cylinder to the ucp with the bolt? Hard to believe I would have done that, but it's possible.

Anyone have any ideas?
That's odd. I just did this switch earlier this week with no issues after. Full clutch stop and stock position. I'm a bit stumped because I don't know what you could have done that would have impacted it like that. Nothing you did requires clutch bleeding or electronics.

If after removing clutch stop it still doesn't work, that ain't it and it's probably electrical or a master cylinder issue.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 03:43 PM   #39
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Anyone have any ideas?
Likely you forgot, or missed the bolt hole in the end of the clutch cylinder. Check / re attach the shoulder bolt through the bolt hole at the end of the clutch cylinder. It has some play in it to aid alignment but possible this play had you miss it with the shoulder bolt and now when you press the pedal it's not actuating the cylinder all the way.
Appreciate 1
      06-28-2020, 05:29 PM   #40
Midtown2020
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

So, it turns out that a wiring connector to the clutch cylinder came undone when I was removing the footwell cover plate yesterday.
I didn't realize it at the time and when I saw it yesterday just thought it was a wire bundle and I pushed it off to the side out of the way.

Today I figured it out, connected it and voila, car started up!

Took it out for about an hour test drive and I agree with everyone else that the pedal travel is much smoother. I like it and am happy!
Attached Images

Appreciate 3
SFM2C6MT175.00
flybigjet6619.00
Thescout134944.00
      06-29-2020, 01:16 PM   #41
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Just moved mine to the 'stock' position. I do like it better! It feels more linear to me, and more forgiving. The 'pop' or springiness is all but gone, and it does feel like 'stock', but shorter, more firm, more precise. I guess that's why there are 3 positions; to each his own I just can't believe I never thought to try this! A big thanks to you guys!
Appreciate 2
Thescout134944.00
SFM2C6MT175.00
      06-04-2022, 03:25 PM   #42
nizer
Rep
Drives: F80 M3

Has anyone tried or compared the UCP pedal vs the Turner pedal? I have a UCP pedal that came with the car (M2 CS) but am not really satisfied. My issues are looseness at top of travel, crooked pedal position, and light pressure/springiness. I’ve read through this thread and it looks like there are some things I can try to adjust but just wondered how the UCP compares to Turner. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2022, 08:32 AM   #43
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Have you double checked that it was installed correctly? Some people didn't install all of the springs (for various reasons), but that can affect how solid the UCP feels.

It definitely does not sit crooked and there is no looseness at the top (in fact it removes what little looseness was there).

Most all modern clutches are light. You might try the different spring positions to adjust the level of springiness; i know it helped me.

Also, did you use the proper clutch stop? You can't use a soft one like the Burger one.
Appreciate 0
      07-17-2022, 03:34 PM   #44
selmeralto
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

From Twitter.
Attached Images

Appreciate 2