BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Ultimate Clutch Pedal overcenter spring

12-18-2019, 10:21 AM   #1
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

Ultimate Clutch Pedal overcenter spring

I was just wondering how others have set up the overcenter spring on the UCP?

Initially it was installed without it, but I found the pedal was a little too heavy through the action of pressing it (my wife had trouble driving it and it was tough in stop and go traffic) and sloppier than I would like at the top, so I put it back on in the center position. Now I have a little trouble with 1st gear take-off and can't tell if it is because I had the Carbahn stage 1 tune installed at the same time and the throttle response is more sensitive, or if it's bc the return throw of the clutch is almost dual staged? It seems easy to push and kind of a soft return up to the point of engagement, and then is firmer at the top half of the throw. I still really like the pedal, particularly after take-off with every successive gear change. It takes me about 30 minutes to remove the lower trim and change up the spring setting each time, so I'll probably keep playing around with it, including maybe trying only using the inner spring like others have suggested. Currently waiting on my Autosolutions SSK to arrive as well and am so pumped to experience that clickety click shift with the UCP+SSK combo!
Appreciate 0
      12-18-2019, 10:23 PM   #2
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
I have the spring in the middle setting.

I'm happy with it and the feedback the pedal gives me..
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 10:24 AM   #3
schembree
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3M Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hingle Mccringleberry View Post

Initially it was installed without it, but I found the pedal was a little too heavy through the action of pressing it (my wife had trouble driving it and it was tough in stop and go traffic) and sloppier than I would like at the top, so I put it back on in the center position. Now I have a little trouble with 1st gear take-off and can't tell if it is because I had the Carbahn stage 1 tune installed at the same time and the throttle response is more sensitive, or if it's bc the return throw of the clutch is almost dual staged? It seems easy to push and kind of a soft return up to the point of engagement, and then is firmer at the top half of the throw. I still really like the pedal, particularly after take-off with every successive gear change. It takes me about 30 minutes to remove the lower trim and change up the spring setting each time, so I'll probably keep playing around with it, including maybe trying only using the inner spring like others have suggested. Currently waiting on my Autosolutions SSK to arrive as well and am so pumped to experience that clickety click shift with the UCP+SSK combo!
I've got it in the center position with the outer spring removed.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 11:25 AM   #4
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by schembree View Post
Same.
Appreciate 0
      12-19-2019, 03:25 PM   #5
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

I have it in the center position, and used all the springs. IME, when you don't use a spring, there is just too much wobble. If I were to guess, I'd say it's the tune, not the UCP, that's giving you some problems.

BTW, I have the AS SSK. You're going to like it
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:13 PM   #6
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malakas View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by schembree View Post
Same.
Did any of you use the clutch stop that came with? If so, did you use the full amount or reduce the thickness at all? I seem to recall some potential synchro issues from a clutch stop usage, but not confident in that memory or that it matters here with the UCP.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 05:32 PM   #7
Malakas
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c

I used the full stop. It's the same thickness as the BMS one with one washer removed.... I was running that prior to the UCP without any issues
Appreciate 1
Thescout134944.00
      12-31-2019, 05:37 PM   #8
Hingle Mccringleberry
Private
Rep
Drives: '20 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thescout13 View Post
Did any of you use the clutch stop that came with? If so, did you use the full amount or reduce the thickness at all? I seem to recall some potential synchro issues from a clutch stop usage, but not confident in that memory or that it matters here with the UCP.
I used the replacement clutch stop at full thickness. I don't remember the thickness of the original bc I threw it away, but I would think the difference couldn't be much more than 1 centimeter. I haven't experience any noticeable synchro issues (I think it would be shift crunching right?), and don't think the slight difference in total clutch throw should make the clutch not work properly.

In addition, as a follow-up, I used the smaller inner spring in the middle position and removed the outer spring. It solved the issue I had in my original post on this thread about a weird inconsistent clutch action feel that was making it difficult to get going smoothly in 1st gear after my Carbahn tune!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2019, 08:17 PM   #9
Thescout13
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 F80 M3CS, %E2%80%9818 GT3

Quote:
Quote:
I used the replacement clutch stop at full thickness. I don't remember the thickness of the original bc I threw it away, but I would think the difference couldn't be much more than 1 centimeter. I haven't experience any noticeable synchro issues (I think it would be shift crunching right?), and don't think the slight difference in total clutch throw should make the clutch not work properly.

In addition, as a follow-up, I used the smaller inner spring in the middle position and removed the outer spring. It solved the issue I had in my original post on this thread about a weird inconsistent clutch action feel that was making it difficult to get going smoothly in 1st gear after my Carbahn tune!
Thanks for the feedback. I ended up taking out two washers and think that thickness is about right. I left the outer spring on because I was concerned about what other posters said about potential wobble in the clutch pedal with it removed. I may leave both in for a few weeks and reevaluate.

Definitely going to take a bit of practice to get used to this new feel and be smooth again into first and into second. I feel like I'm relearning a new car's clutch pedal again. Shocking how short the throw is now (in a good way). Hoping that after my SSK install next week it will be the perfect manual set up I've been wanting.
Wife's Prior Car: 2018 F80 M3, Yas Marina Blue, DCT, Black 19s, Carbon Structure Anthracite Cloth/Leather Combination, Driving Assistance Package (Euro Delivery Oct. 9, 2017)
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2020, 04:25 PM   #10
RocketBoots
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Horse Drawn Carriage

Quote:
I used the clutch stop; I think it's mandatory (both as instructed in the installation directions and in practice). I had a BMS clutch stop before (the UCP), and it's much too thick. I think people will have issues if you use anything else other than the one provided with the UCP. Also, the UCP one feels a lot more solid to me.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 03:27 PM   #11
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition, HS6MT

Due to everyone putting it in the sport setting, I had to be a renegade and put mine in the race setting and kept all springs in place.

Feels really good - but it's a bit poppy on the return. if I don't get used to it I'll adjust to sport. Sport is probably perfect.

What a great mod!
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 04:02 PM   #12
Mpowered777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019

I like the most with outer spring removed on shortest setting. Before that i tried center location with all springs.
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:04 PM   #13
SFM2C6MT
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition, HS6MT

Help me understand:

1) does the bolt position impact the length of travel, or the force required or both?

2) can you describe the effect of removing the larger spring vs leaving it in?
Appreciate 0
      05-31-2020, 07:10 PM   #14
Mpowered777
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019

The springs main purpose is to assist with the second half of the clutch pedal travel, in doing so it takes away the feel and feedback from the clutch. In regards to the position of the pivot on the pedal, the furthest away from the pedal is closest to oem. Basically on one end you have oem comfort, easy to push in during traffic situations. On the other end is more feedback but less assist.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2021, 10:22 PM   #15
Kaz.siddique@gmail.com
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW m2c

Quote:

is there a right hand drive option for this?
Appreciate 0