BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Best engine oils

04-18-2018, 08:31 PM   #45
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 F87 M2C, 2023 G87 M2

Garage List
BMW M2 Competition  [0.00]
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
BMW put 0W-30 in for my most recent oil change in Nothern California. Not sure if that's the best choice.
Only bad if you're doing infrequent oil changes or are in warm climate or tracking your car or planning on keeping your car for a long time... so I guess the answer is yes, not as good as a heavier weight in my opinion...
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 09:00 PM   #46
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Only bad if you're doing infrequent oil changes or are in warm climate or tracking your car or planning on keeping your car for a long time... so I guess the answer is yes, not as good as a heavier weight in my opinion...
Perhaps if I request 5W-40 next time they will do it. Been changing every 5k.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2018, 09:04 PM   #47
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevM2 View Post
Perhaps if I request 5W-40 next time they will do it. Been changing every 5k.
Yes if they still carry that in their stock and haven't replaced it with 0-30 then they would if you ask them... also if you don't mind paying for the oil yourself, you can buy any oil that has LL01 approved label on it and give it tot he dealer to put in your car (that's what I do)... I wouldn't worry about having 0-30 too much for now if you've been changing it every 5k and it's still low mileage
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2018, 11:59 PM   #48
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Would this lead to more carbon build up though? That's not going to be BMW's problem at 50k or less miles.
No... carbon buildup is more related to the NOACK rating than the oil viscosity....

they are doing 0w30 cause of fuel efficiency and better winter protection
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 12:07 AM   #49
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsrbri View Post
The sticker under my hood reads 0W30 so that's what I'll use and given it's a //M car, the factory recommendation has other considerations outside of fuel economy. Although I do change the oil/filter every 5-7k miles or every other track day
you will get better protection with a 40 weight oil specially at high temperatures, 0w30 will be very thin...

the N55 in the M2 is basically same engine as the one in the M235 apart from crankshaft, oil sump and a few other parts...... that's why it uses as 30 weight oil...and the push for BMW for better fuel economy... and probably less than 5% of the cars see any track days....

the S55 uses 10w-60 for a reason...

I'm sure the 2019 M2 will NOT be using 0w30

Update: they actually do WTF??????
Name:  2018-09-07_2215.png
Views: 2993
Size:  42.2 KB

Last edited by pikcachu; 09-08-2018 at 12:17 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 05:38 PM   #50
gsrbri
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
Quote:
The sticker under my hood reads 0W30 so that's what I'll use and given it's a //M car, the factory recommendation has other considerations outside of fuel economy. Although I do change the oil/filter every 5-7k miles or every other track day
you will get better protection with a 40 weight oil specially at high temperatures, 0w30 will be very thin...

the N55 in the M2 is basically same engine as the one in the M235 apart from crankshaft, oil sump and a few other parts...... that's why it uses as 30 weight oil...and the push for BMW for better fuel economy... and probably less than 5% of the cars see any track days....

Attachment 1895743
F1 engines use proprietary light viscosity oils in the 10 weight range - although they are dry sump, it still is critical to have oil film in the bearings.

It's all about design - not the viscosity.

The new twin turbo V-8 M5 also uses 0W-30
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-08-2018, 08:46 PM   #51
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 1895743
F1 engines use proprietary light viscosity oils in the 10 weight range - although they are dry sump, it still is critical to have oil film in the bearings.

It's all about design - not the viscosity.

The new twin turbo V-8 M5 also uses 0W-30
Yeah but F1 engines last 3 weekends

Appreciate 1
Bosozoku693.50
      09-09-2018, 08:54 AM   #52
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

Quote:
Quote:

Attachment 1895743
Just a FYI. With regards to Euro spec oils the HTHS* doesn't vary that much between a 30 & 40 weight. This is why Euro oils have historically been known to be "Thick 30" OR "Thin 40". The biggest difference between these oils in the Euro spec world is the cost to manufacture. 5w40's are cheaper to blend.

*HTHS (High Temperature High Shear) https://commercial.lubrizoladditives...f-engine-oils/

Running too thick of an oil will just result in lost HP from higher churning losses and excess heat.

435i, MPPK, MPE, M-Sport Line
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 02:54 PM   #53
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:

the S55 uses 10w-60

Attachment 1895743
That's actually not true.... It is recommend for 0w30, 5w30, or 0w40 and I believe 5w40.

Again it is NOT a good idea to run super high weights that are so far out of the recommend range specified by bmw due to the tight tolerances these engines are built to. If you go with such a high oil weight oil may have a difficult time getting into rod bearings or tight spots (turbo bearings etc) in the engine causing increased wear...

IMO it's best to use oil weights in the bmw toelrated range 0w30 or 5w30 for street usage and one weight up for track (to better handle the higher temps w/o drops in viscosity and loss in protection) use such as a 0w40. The important aspect of oil is its ability to protect against frictional wear and ability to withstand high heat and repeated heat cycling without degrading or falling out of its viscosity ratings. That imo is way more important that the standard notion that higher weight is better..... So the best way to find out which is a good oil to use is by looking at the countless sources of nonbiased TEST DATA actual data with sensible testing methods. I would link it but I cannot find the article I read comparing brands like castrol, mobil1, amsoil, penzzoil, and others for wear testing with a metal bearings. This lead me to use pennzoil ultra platinum on my m2 as it consistently performed among the top of the oil competitors. Sure it isn't bmw certified (i think they lost it because they didnt test it with a newer standard or something iirc) but I change my oils really frequently so it shouldnt matter.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 06:35 PM   #54
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by F87source View Post
That's actually not true.... It is recommend for 0w30, 5w30, or 0w40 and I believe 5w40.

Again it is NOT a good idea to run super high weights that are so far out of the recommend range specified by bmw due to the tight tolerances these engines are built to. If you go with such a high oil weight oil may have a difficult time getting into rod bearings or tight spots (turbo bearings etc) in the engine causing increased wear...

IMO it's best to use oil weights in the bmw toelrated range 0w30 or 5w30 for street usage and one weight up for track (to better handle the higher temps w/o drops in viscosity and loss in protection) use such as a 0w40. The important aspect of oil is its ability to protect against frictional wear and ability to withstand high heat and repeated heat cycling without degrading or falling out of its viscosity ratings. That imo is way more important that the standard notion that higher weight is better..... So the best way to find out which is a good oil to use is by looking at the countless sources of nonbiased TEST DATA actual data with sensible testing methods. I would link it but I cannot find the article I read comparing brands like castrol, mobil1, amsoil, penzzoil, and others for wear testing with a metal bearings. This lead me to use pennzoil ultra platinum on my m2 as it consistently performed among the top of the oil competitors. Sure it isn't bmw certified (i think they lost it because they didnt test it with a newer standard or something iirc) but I change my oils really frequently so it shouldnt matter.
you are right sorry... i was thinking the 10w60 was still being used on current models

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-...SABEgKIkPD_BwE

Why didn't you use the Pennzoil Platinum Euro which is LL-01 ?
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #55
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
you are right sorry... i was thinking the 10w60 was still being used on current models

Haha no worries just didn't want someome to mess up their engine.

I used the ultra platinum over the platnium euro because it had the best protection under the toughest conditions based on extensive tests I read online. I've also read that they use this oil (0w40) for pro racing with really high reviving engines under extreme load for long periods of time in endurance races, and the oil held up with zero issues. I know it's not LL-01 but iirc it lost that certificate because they didn't test it on one newer BMW, but again that doesn't really bother me as I change my oil ever 2,000km and ultra platinum should be significantly better than the platnium euro.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 09:31 PM   #56
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I used the ultra platinum over the platnium euro because it had the best protection under the toughest conditions based on extensive tests I read online. I've also read that they use this oil (0w40) for pro racing with really high reviving engines under extreme load for long periods of time in endurance races, and the oil held up with zero issues. I know it's not LL-01 but iirc it lost that certificate because they didn't test it on one newer BMW, but again that doesn't really bother me as I change my oil ever 2,000km and ultra platinum should be significantly better than the platnium euro.
I see. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 10:47 PM   #57
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I think the reason why they are not LL-01 approved is cause of the high NOACK rating... which shows at 13% ... I believe LL-01 requires < 11%

high NOACK = higher carbon deposits on intake valves.... maybe not so important on the N55 as it used to be on the N54 but something to think about...

http://www.billswebspace.com/Pennzoi...hrysler-en-TDS
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2018, 11:09 PM   #58
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
I think the reason why they are not LL-01 approved is cause of the high NOACK rating... which shows at 13% ... I believe LL-01 requires < 11%

high NOACK = higher carbon deposits on intake valves.... maybe not so important on the N55 as it used to be on the N54 but something to think about...

http://www.billswebspace.com/Pennzoi...hrysler-en-TDS
Maybe I really don't remember the reason why, but I have PI and water injection coming in shortly so it really won't matter to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-17-2018, 02:08 PM   #59
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

Here's my Blackstone report on Motul 300V 5w-40 at both 1700 miles and 5000 at the change interval. Prior to the 1700 I had done 2 track days and wanted to see how it was holding up so as to change it or not...it's not cheap at about $17/qt. It held up great so I left it in up to the 5k interval(which included 2 more track days) and checked it again and still a great result! This gave me the confidence to run this oil allll the time, especially here in the Las Vegas climate.
Attached Images

Last edited by VegasM2; 09-19-2018 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 3
geogerf115.50
D CHOI580.00
      09-19-2018, 12:56 PM   #60
JTPitsch
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasM2 View Post
Here's my Blackstone report on Motul 300V 5w-40 at both 1700 miles and 5000 at the change interval. Prior to the 1700 I had done 2 track days and wanted to see how it was holding up so as to change it or not...it's not cheap at about $17/qt. It held up great so I left it in up to the 5k interval(which included 2 more track days) and checked it again and still a great result! This gave me the confidence to run this oil allll the time, especially here in the Las Vegas climate.
Can't really see the image its too small and blurry to zoom in.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2018, 01:03 PM   #61
VegasM2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB/Manual/Exc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPitsch View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by VegasM2 View Post
Can't really see the image its too small and blurry to zoom in.
Tried adding again...but better this time. Not sure why it get blurry, sorry
      10-20-2018, 12:31 PM   #62
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Some interesting info in the thread...so, after you have decided what flavor of oil you are going to use, and you change it, if you reset the oil service 'indicator/warning/message', does the car document the mileage like it does if the dealer resets it?
      10-31-2018, 07:56 AM   #63
ChristosD
First Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: m135i

is pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 the same as shell helix ultra 5w40 that is sold in europe?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 02:15 PM   #64
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristosD View Post
is pennzoil platinum euro 5w40 the same as shell helix ultra 5w40 that is sold in europe?
I'm not sure about that, but from what I know is that shell owns pennzoil so it's possible.
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 03:18 PM   #65
M Fifty
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2 & 330CI

Maybe if you just put what they recommend in and change it on whatever mileage/interval you're happy with?
Appreciate 0
      11-01-2018, 06:32 PM   #66
KevM2
Captain
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M Fifty View Post
Maybe if you just put what they recommend in and change it on whatever mileage/interval you're happy with?
Only if you don't plan on keeping your car for a long time and you're not going to track it... otherwise 5w40 or 0w40 or a heavier 30 weight like the redline 5W30 is your best bet
Appreciate 0