BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > I feel like my car is slower than when I had it in Europe: am I crazy?

11-21-2018, 07:57 AM   #23
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Maybe someone stole one of the turbos when the vehicle was in transit

Kidding, if there is no MIL, it's just your mind paying tricks on you..

Just like when some folks put a louder ass exhaust on their vehicle, emotionally, it feels faster..

Just enjoy your car, and rest assured that S55 motor is a lot of things but underpowered is not one them..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
nomoracin758.00
      11-21-2018, 10:46 AM   #24
BlkSVT
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2c BSM, 2020 MB GLC63

A crazy thought because it may not apply at all to the S55, but is it a lot colder where you are now than when you first drove the car?

Reason I ask is the Audi 3.0T was identical in every way except tuning for everything from the Q5 (~280hp) up to ~400 in some of the S cars. They used that engine in everything. Just tuning differentiated power levels... kind of like with the M2/3/4 variations.

So here's the odd part, every car I'd ever driven/modified/owned ran much harder in cool fall weather. Except that detuned 3.0T. Come to find out, the way they mapped the boost bleed-off was to match a desired power curve...Not a Boost PSI cap or something easy like that. It had the crappy effect of making the thing feel less responsive and almost burdened when the weather got cold because so much boost bleed was going on. Of course a proper tune and minor mods fixed all that and it runs like a MoFo in this weather

I've been wondering about whether the M2C S55 is doing the same thing and whether colder whether would clearly be "boost season" or just frustrating. That miles-wide, flat 405hp plateau from 5-7k+ is highly artificial on the dyno plots I've seen and screams much more than just a boost cap
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-21-2018, 02:36 PM   #25
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
For some reason, I feel like my car is slower than when I had it in Europe. I don't feel the head-sucking effect as much here...and it's got the break-in service done now.

Weird...I know...anyone else have a similar experience or a potential explanation?
You do drive a lot faster in the US. Cars are bigger and a great deal more powerful on average. Could be the relative difference?
A lot faster in the US?
He was in Germany for ED..how can that be?
What I was aware of when I was in New Jersey/ NY, we overhere on the west European continent drive a lot faster...

???

Cheers
Robin
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-21-2018, 03:21 PM   #26
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Porsche GTS 4.0

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlkSVT View Post
A crazy thought because it may not apply at all to the S55, but is it a lot colder where you are now than when you first drove the car?

Reason I ask is the Audi 3.0T was identical in every way except tuning for everything from the Q5 (~280hp) up to ~400 in some of the S cars. They used that engine in everything. Just tuning differentiated power levels... kind of like with the M2/3/4 variations.

So here's the odd part, every car I'd ever driven/modified/owned ran much harder in cool fall weather. Except that detuned 3.0T. Come to find out, the way they mapped the boost bleed-off was to match a desired power curve...Not a Boost PSI cap or something easy like that. It had the crappy effect of making the thing feel less responsive and almost burdened when the weather got cold because so much boost bleed was going on. Of course a proper tune and minor mods fixed all that and it runs like a MoFo in this weather

I've been wondering about whether the M2C S55 is doing the same thing and whether colder whether would clearly be "boost season" or just frustrating. That miles-wide, flat 405hp plateau from 5-7k+ is highly artificial on the dyno plots I've seen and screams much more than just a boost cap
Yes, I believe it's colder here now than when I was in Europe.

...maybe it's a combination of the gas, the weather, and probably mostly in my head. Haha
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 03:23 PM   #27
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottAndrew View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by nomoracin View Post
For some reason, I feel like my car is slower than when I had it in Europe. I don't feel the head-sucking effect as much here...and it's got the break-in service done now.

Weird...I know...anyone else have a similar experience or a potential explanation?
You do drive a lot faster in the US. Cars are bigger and a great deal more powerful on average. Could be the relative difference?
A lot faster in the US?
He was in Germany for ED..how can that be?
What I was aware of when I was in New Jersey/ NY, we overhere on the west European continent drive a lot faster...

???

Cheers
Robin
Yea, I definitely drove faster in Europe as I was probably averaging 90-100mph there. People drive so much better there!
Appreciate 1
Robin_NL8679.50
      11-21-2018, 03:26 PM   #28
JWMII
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, GLE53, GLA 250

Truth is

We've been in NOVA too long.
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      11-21-2018, 06:50 PM   #29
cptobvious
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C HS DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWMII View Post
We've been in NOVA too long.
Oh, yeah, nomoracin, that would totally explain it. I regularly do 80-90mph on the freeways here in Southern California. When I moved to NOVA, what I realized is that freeways don't exist out there. Pretty much every major thoroughfare in NOVA is the equivalent of a 25mph school zone in SoCal. The top speed you can hit on the 50, for example, is something like 32mph.

I did once reach 60mph on the 66... but it was at 2am.
Appreciate 1
nomoracin758.00
      11-23-2018, 09:10 PM   #30
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Curious...could having the exhaust flap open at all times play a factor?
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2018, 09:44 PM   #31
nomoracin
Major
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Ok, so I think I'm crazy again...

I took the car out for a spin today and at times, it felt fast and then other times, it felt underwhelming again. What gives? Could there be something wrong with my car? I'm not sure, but I think sometimes it sputters (not sure if that's the right term) or hesitates and other times, it just goes...giving me that head-sucking back feeling.

I normally just start off in first gear slowly, shift to second, and then push it to about 6000-6500 rpms. (I haven't even gotten close to redline yet)

Any thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 01:28 AM   #32
articulatedsphinx
meow
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Trust me the BM3 as quoted earlier will put a smile right back on your face.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2018, 02:31 AM   #33
MrOhnoez
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 GLI, '79 beetle, '99 M3

Data log the car, if it's feeling inconsistent a data log will provide proof if what the ol' butt dyno thinks is true or not.
Appreciate 2
nomoracin758.00
mikeahso411.50
      12-13-2018, 02:33 AM   #34
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
It's the gas. I felt the same from euro top grade gas to Canadian Chevron 94. I can feel the difference between US Shell 92 and Canada Chevron 94 as well.

My Hong Kong stock 1M also feels faster than my 1M in Canada.

Get the best gas you can find if you're always needing the all the power.
What gas are you using in Vancouver? I've heard the 94 Chevron with no ethanol is actually crap, and the 91 Shell is best. I read some posts from people who had their cars Cobb flash tuned (E9x platform), and even on the 93 octane tune, it would drop timing. So not the greatest quality 94...

And I saw in a different post you have BM3 tune now on your car. Which map did you get, 93 or 91, and which gas are you using with it? Done any logging to see if you have timing drops?
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 03:07 PM   #35
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
What gas are you using in Vancouver? I've heard the 94 Chevron with no ethanol is actually crap, and the 91 Shell is best. I read some posts from people who had their cars Cobb flash tuned (E9x platform), and even on the 93 octane tune, it would drop timing. So not the greatest quality 94...

And I saw in a different post you have BM3 tune now on your car. Which map did you get, 93 or 91, and which gas are you using with it? Done any logging to see if you have timing drops?
Depends on the car. For the dailies I use regular. For the slightly more sporty occasional car I use 94 Chevron. For higher performance (track), I use 92 Shell from the states.

I'm running the CS+ tune on the M2C and I don't think it'll have any problems with 94 Chevron but don't really have a chance to test it with the weather.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2018, 08:55 PM   #36
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Depends on the car. For the dailies I use regular. For the slightly more sporty occasional car I use 94 Chevron. For higher performance (track), I use 92 Shell from the states.

I'm running the CS+ tune on the M2C and I don't think it'll have any problems with 94 Chevron but don't really have a chance to test it with the weather.
So for your CS+ map, have you tried just running it on 91 to see if there are any timing drops?

What I was referring to though was the map you get as a credit with the tune... Which one of the Stage 1 maps you picked, and what gas you were running for it. Since we have 94 octane here, technically the 93 map should be good, but given the poor quality of the gas, wasn't sure if you had maybe logged it with that setup or not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post
With the purchase of the S55 license the following maps are FREE:

Stage 0+ (M4 CS)
Stage 0+ (M4 CSL)
Stage 0+ (M4 GTS)
Stage CS+

OTS maps (one free or $100 to unlock access to all of them):

Stage 1 91 octane
Stage 1 93 octane
Stage 1 ACN91 octane (BETA)
Appreciate 0