BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Which spoiler?

12-10-2018, 05:54 PM   #45
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
I just added the rw carbon GTX spoiler. This seems larger than even the ACS. I got it for looks but I wonder how much downforce this provides compared to those.

I wanna say I do feel a slight difference in stability and maybe even some front lift but that might just be a placebo effect im feeling :

Wondering if I should get the front lip now.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-10-2018, 07:25 PM   #46
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
this x2.

People need to just enjoy the looks and stop pretending to be engineers on this forum .

Without CFD models or real data, trusting some manufacturers that pooped out a carbon part attached with double sided tape as proving any measureable aero gains is kind of funny.

Trade secrete, no. It's called not having any real data. If they took a screenshot out of their CFD model I'll believe it, but drawing a pretty excel chart, nah.
The chart is for people to reference upon and if you want to challenge it go and make a case and disprove it. Then I will believe you are a real engineer instead of a keyboard wannabe. So far nobody else has challenged that chart, BMW certainly didn't.

I will have faith on ACS because they are a renowned German tuner with 30 over years of solid track record. They have all the resource to conduct proper aerodynamic testing. What about you? What's your credential on aerodynamics and have you done any experiments to disprove their claim? Please also show us those raw data that you have collected as well.

Last edited by Karmic Man; 12-10-2018 at 07:36 PM..
Appreciate 2
cptobvious2531.50
VIERsr2621.50
      12-10-2018, 08:03 PM   #47
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Karmic Man View Post
The chart is for people to reference upon and if you want to challenge it go and make a case and disprove it. Then I will believe you are a real engineer instead of a keyboard wannabe. So far nobody else has challenged that chart, BMW certainly didn't.

I will have faith on ACS because they are a renowned German tuner with 30 over years of solid track record. They have all the resource to conduct proper aerodynamic testing. What about you? What's your credential on aerodynamics and have you done any experiments to disprove their claim? Please also show us those raw data that you have collected as well.
lol I don't need to prove I'm a "real" engineer. Just saying chart is BS as there is zero data to back it up. No CFD, no modeling, not peer validated by ANYONE, no wind tunnel results, basically fake news.

Challenge a chart...I don't even...I'd love to see the judges face at any FSAE comp or at work if I said "scrutinize my chart? Nothing? Then it's fact!" I'm actually not sure if I could do it with a straight face lol

A lot of people crap on a traditional 4 year degree and point to random industry experience, but man ME101 is where the basics are taught. You know most textbooks provide a reference for charts?

I ain't engaging further, but this will be good material at my next happy hour.
Appreciate 2
chris7197334.00
Fabb228.50
      12-10-2018, 09:14 PM   #48
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:

This shit is attached with TAPE to a piece of sheet metal. I would not sit on the trunk for fear of it collapsing. It is mostly cosmetic for sure. If they post their test methodology I would be interested.

You can volunteer to put a 100 kg weight on your trunk lid and tell us what happens .
Appreciate 1
tokki203.50
      12-10-2018, 10:51 PM   #49
JackyStuntin
JackyStuntin
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2

MTC design's looks pretty good imo
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
HS_M2C118.50
      12-11-2018, 12:16 AM   #50
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
This shit is attached with TAPE to a piece of sheet metal. I would not sit on the trunk for fear of it collapsing. It is mostly cosmetic for sure. If they post their test methodology I would be interested.

You can volunteer to put a 100 kg weight on your trunk lid and tell us what happens .
That 100 kg downward force is spread out across the area of the trunk and not just on one single spot...the rear spoiler is mostly for air deflection to reduce lift and drag...a Wing is for mega down force
Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      12-11-2018, 12:25 AM   #51
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
lol I don't need to prove I'm a "real" engineer. Just saying chart is BS as there is zero data to back it up. No CFD, no modeling, not peer validated by ANYONE, no wind tunnel results, basically fake news.

Challenge a chart...I don't even...I'd love to see the judges face at any FSAE comp or at work if I said "scrutinize my chart? Nothing? Then it's fact!" I'm actually not sure if I could do it with a straight face lol

A lot of people crap on a traditional 4 year degree and point to random industry experience, but man ME101 is where the basics are taught. You know most textbooks provide a reference for charts?

I ain't engaging further, but this will be good material at my next happy hour.
Yes, you can challenge it. Buy the ACS rear spoiler and put it on a M2 and do your own wind tunnel testing (if you have the resource). Gather all the data and plot your chart. If it performs differently in an adverse way go sue them for false advertising.
Appreciate 2
VIERsr2621.50
RINTAXI35.50
      12-11-2018, 02:51 AM   #52
Karlosm2c
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
this x2.

People need to just enjoy the looks and stop pretending to be engineers on this forum .
Agreed. I just bought the MPerf lip spoiler to increase the looks of my HS M2C (when I get it in April). I wasn't thinking about aerodynamics at all and even if it does make a difference I doubt I would be skilled enough to notice it.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 03:13 AM   #53
OGM2C
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICantDrive4Sht View Post

This is from shuterganglabs, costs just over 200e and looks as good as the 1-2k spoilers, if not better.
any more pictures of the spoiler? it looks great.
      12-12-2018, 07:38 AM   #54
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2C View Post
any more pictures of the spoiler? it looks great.
Not any good pictures sry. Their website has plenty
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 06:58 PM   #55
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Yes, you can challenge it. Buy the ACS rear spoiler and put it on a M2 and do your own wind tunnel testing (if you have the resource). Gather all the data and plot your chart. If it performs differently in an adverse way go sue them for false advertising.
How about you show me the data behind your chart to disprove my chart below

Appreciate 2
tokki203.50
HS_M2C118.50
      12-12-2018, 07:26 PM   #56
tokki
Private First Class
Canada
Rep

LOL I'm genuinely amused how many people think these little taped on lips are doing anything remotely significant to the car's overall aerodynamics. Seriously, having to get a front lip to match the rear lip because of "front end lift" lol, I'm dead.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 07:53 PM   #57
Karmic Man
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep

Quote:
How about you show me the data behind your chart to disprove my chart below

Didn't you say you are not going to engage further Without some hard data from a wind tunnel test...you will never be taken seriously.

No. I have nothing against your Colour chart because it means nothing to me at all. It is probably your kid's painting chart from school as far as I am concerned. Very colourful I must say
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2018, 08:48 PM   #58
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Didn't you say you are not going to engage further Without some hard data from a wind tunnel test...you will never be taken seriously.

No. I have nothing against your Colour chart because it means nothing to me at all. It is probably your kid's painting chart from school as far as I am concerned. Very colourful I must say
All good I just wanted to use the same color pallet as your chart hehe .

No hard feelings were all here enjoying our cars!
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      12-12-2018, 08:59 PM   #59
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
That 100 kg downward force is spread out across the area of the trunk and not just on one single spot...the rear spoiler is mostly for air deflection to reduce lift and drag...a Wing is for mega down force
I'm not disputing there are effects on lift and drag.

My ass would be spread across the area of the trunk too. Still wouldn't do it to a body panel.
Appreciate 1
Karmic Man1996.00
      12-13-2018, 12:29 AM   #60
ICantDrive4Sht
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by tokki View Post
LOL I'm genuinely amused how many people think these little taped on lips are doing anything remotely significant to the car's overall aerodynamics. Seriously, having to get a front lip to match the rear lip because of "front end lift" lol, I'm dead.
Yup
Let them have their fun lol
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2019, 04:13 AM   #61
Vincitore
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 2-Series M Sport

Garage List
This was the only thread I was able to find any information re the F22/F87 Flow Through spoiler, thanks.
Unfortunately, no pictures of adapters and the install process anywhere, so anyone have same issues you can check my link below.
Here is my experience with the M Performance Carbon Spoiler upgrade for 2 Series:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1628549
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
cptobvious2531.50
      10-07-2019, 08:48 PM   #62
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HS_M2C View Post
I just added the rw carbon GTX spoiler. This seems larger than even the ACS. I got it for looks but I wonder how much downforce this provides compared to those.

I wanna say I do feel a slight difference in stability and maybe even some front lift but that might just be a placebo effect im feeling :

Wondering if I should get the front lip now.
HS_M2C So did you install yours using just double sided tape, or with Betalink also? If yours is staying on with just double sided tape, with all that downforce, I think we're safe!

Also, I've been reading some inconsistent things as far as whether Betalink is permanent or not, when you go to remove it (to take the spoiler off and sell it perhaps). Does anyone know for sure / have any links to info on it? If it's serious stuff, like JB Weld, I'd think it's permanent...
Appreciate 0
      10-08-2019, 12:15 AM   #63
HS_M2C
Private
Rep
Drives: HS M2C 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
HS_M2C So did you install yours using just double sided tape, or with Betalink also? If yours is staying on with just double sided tape, with all that downforce, I think we're safe!

Also, I've been reading some inconsistent things as far as whether Betalink is permanent or not, when you go to remove it (to take the spoiler off and sell it perhaps). Does anyone know for sure / have any links to info on it? If it's serious stuff, like JB Weld, I'd think it's permanent...
I used double sided 3M tape. It's been great so far, had it on my previous M4 for years as well and it held up well.
Appreciate 1
Lotus99628.00