BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Limp mode on track with DCT - reposted from general discussion

11-12-2020, 10:14 AM   #1
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Limp mode on track with DCT - reposted from general discussion

I have M2C with DCT, Last winter I put a Dinan heat exchanger for warm desert days on the track. This Summer, on the track mid day, Limp mode occurred once in Laguna, I let it go and a second time 3 weeks ago at Big Willow. I was pushing the car hard, following really fast cars. I went back in, cooled it off and restarted the car everything went normal, I didn't push it as hard. Oil Temps were very steady around 240.
What do you guys think? recommend? I am thinking overheating of DCT fluid.
2019 M2C Sunset Orange/Black (Ohlins/swift coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, Dinan Heat exchanger, BM3 ECU tune, CF mirror caps, diffuser and rear spoiler, Vorsteiner V-FF 101 Patina Bronze wheels)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 09:21 AM   #2
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOT M View Post
I have M2C with DCT, Last winter I put a Dinan heat exchanger for warm desert days on the track. This Summer, on the track mid day, Limp mode occurred once in Laguna, I let it go and a second time 3 weeks ago at Big Willow. I was pushing the car hard, following really fast cars. I went back in, cooled it off and restarted the car everything went normal, I didn't push it as hard. Oil Temps were very steady around 240.
What do you guys think? recommend? I am thinking overheating of DCT fluid.
What is happening when it goes into limp mode?
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 12:50 PM   #3
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

How much gas did you have in the tank? If you run on track with less than half a tank, you risk going into limp mode.
      11-13-2020, 01:26 PM   #4
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
What is happening when it goes into limp mode?
couple of hickups and rpm will not go higher than 3k.
2019 M2C Sunset Orange/Black (Ohlins/swift coilovers, Ground Control Camber Plates, Dinan Heat exchanger, BM3 ECU tune, CF mirror caps, diffuser and rear spoiler, Vorsteiner V-FF 101 Patina Bronze wheels)
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 01:29 PM   #5
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
How much gas did you have in the tank? If you run on track with less than half a tank, you risk going into limp mode.
I plugged the OBD2 reader to check for any errors, there was none. I did have a little less than half tank, did learn my lesson never hit the session unless half tank at least.
Anybody had issues with overheating DCT? or this not an issue in the M2C.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:04 PM   #6
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
couple of hickups and rpm will not go higher than 3k.
At a decent pace - and track dependent - DCT's can definitely be susceptible to overheating. Usually starts with sloppy, laggy shifts. An upgraded cooler usually does the trick. The do88 coolers have performed very well on other platforms with DCT's - but not sure if they fit the M2C. They do have them for the OG so would think it ought to be ok but definitely something to verify. There are other brands as well - but do88 has been pretty rock solid when it comes to the DCT.

Another potential problem with DCT's can be starvation under high g loads. My experience with this has been on my E92 M3 race car running full slicks, all that good stuff so capable of some pretty decent lateral g's. When this has happened it kicks the car into limp mode and typically accompanied by the loss of either all the odd or all the even gears. Sometimes it would let me continue around to the pits like that, other times it would shortly after kick it up to 6th or 7th and then barely limp back. This has been resolved on the E92 M3 platform with a pan from Slon Workshop. It takes some relatively high g load to trigger it though.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:06 PM   #7
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
At a decent pace - and track dependent - DCT's can definitely be susceptible to overheating. Usually starts with sloppy, laggy shifts. An upgraded cooler usually does the trick. The do88 coolers have performed very well on other platforms with DCT's - but not sure if they fit the M2C. They do have them for the OG so would think it ought to be ok but definitely something to verify. There are other brands as well - but do88 has been pretty rock solid when it comes to the DCT.

Another potential problem with DCT's can be starvation under high g loads. My experience with this has been on my E92 M3 race car running full slicks, all that good stuff so capable of some pretty decent lateral g's. When this has happened it kicks the car into limp mode and typically accompanied by the loss of either all the odd or all the even gears. Sometimes it would let me continue around to the pits like that, other times it would shortly after kick it up to 6th or 7th and then barely limp back. This has been resolved on the E92 M3 platform with a pan from Slon Workshop. It takes some relatively high g load to trigger it though.
thank you great info.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2020, 02:39 PM   #8
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Ive never had any problem with M2c cooling on my last 3 visit of laguna seca. I was pushing averaging 1:44 and there was no signs of overheating whatsoever. Might be a cooler day than mid summer though.
DCT as well.
      11-14-2020, 08:49 AM   #9
HOT M
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
Ive never had any problem with M2c cooling on my last 3 visit of laguna seca. I was pushing averaging 1:44 and there was no signs of overheating whatsoever. Might be a cooler day than mid summer though.
DCT as well.
My best laps were closer to your numbers, I am new. Now that I am thinking about it, in details it could have been the tank being more than 2/3 empty.
Appreciate 0
      11-14-2020, 01:48 PM   #10
Fabb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C SO

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabb View Post
DCT as well.
My best laps were closer to your numbers, I am new. Now that I am thinking about it, in details it could have been the tank being more than 2/3 empty.
Yeah my best was 1:43.0 but still lots of time left on the table. I have to refuel every two sessions. This car just have a tiny fuel tank.