BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > My OG OEM+ Build Thread

10-31-2020, 10:02 AM   #23
SebsM2
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Great build! I keep on coming back here to beat my wallet up just a bit more

Do you think the Philips WhiteVision 5000k Low/High Beam made a big difference?
      10-31-2020, 10:21 AM   #24
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SebsM2 View Post
Great build! I keep on coming back here to beat my wallet up just a bit more

Do you think the Philips WhiteVision 5000k Low/High Beam made a big difference?
Thanks!

The purpose of that mod for me was to change the color of the bulb/beam to make it whiter and more LED looking and to get rid of the typical purple hue that factory xenon bulbs have. Cosmetically in that regard the 5000k bulbs worked great. I don't think it changed the brightness of the beam at all and I don't usually drive the car at night so I'm not sure it had any impact on visibility either. It was really just a cosmetic change to make the car look more modern, kinda like changing the reverse bulbs to LEDs. Just looks cleaner and newer.
      10-31-2020, 10:49 AM   #25
MikeF87LCI
Second Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Love this car....got me started on mods for my own bsm lci m2

Nice write up, good to see all the small details that have gone into the build
Appreciate 1
AndrewC198910903.50
      10-31-2020, 12:30 PM   #26
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF87LCI View Post
Love this car....got me started on mods for my own bsm lci m2

Nice write up, good to see all the small details that have gone into the build
Thanks for the kind words
      08-23-2022, 07:31 AM   #27
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep
Drives: MK2 Focus RS Stage 4+

Garage List
Amazing build! Such a shame you sold
      08-23-2022, 07:35 AM   #28
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MFrankie View Post
Amazing build! Such a shame you sold
Thanks! It was a fun car but just not very practical for my needs so I had to let it go. I have an xDrive diesel F30 build right now that I love and I will continue to buy bimmers and mod them as I have always done
      08-23-2022, 07:40 AM   #29
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewC1989 View Post
Thanks! It was a fun car but just not very practical for my needs so I had to let it go. I have an xDrive diesel F30 build right now that I love and I will continue to buy bimmers and mod them as I have always done
I think you have fully sold me on the KW HAS kit with bigger spacers, your stance was perfect.

Over the time of owning them how did they hold up? Did you ever get any scraping?
      08-23-2022, 07:53 AM   #30
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I think you have fully sold me on the KW HAS kit with bigger spacers, your stance was perfect.

Over the time of owning them how did they hold up? Did you ever get any scraping?
At the ride height I used, I never scraped the bottom of the car on any driveways, curbs, or anything like that. With a front lip I definitely would've, which is why I never added one.

In terms of rubbing, the front end had some minor rubbing over large dips that sorted itself out once the fender liner/tires got a little worn. Upon closer inspection It was only the top of the tire occasionally hitting the fender liner so it wasn't a concern.

I also had some rubbing in the rear by the fender liner that I sorted out with a dremel because I was worried about some metal tabs making contact with the tires and I didn't want anything catastrophic happening at high speed:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1780655

Also keep in mind I only put 11k miles on the car in the 4.5 years I owned it so I can't really talk about how it stood the test of time. But If you want to avoid any rubbing issues either don't lower it as much as I did, and/or use 12mm spacers instead of 15.
      08-23-2022, 08:31 AM   #31
///MFrankie
///MHead
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
At the ride height I used, I never scraped the bottom of the car on any driveways, curbs, or anything like that. With a front lip I definitely would've, which is why I never added one.

In terms of rubbing, the front end had some minor rubbing over large dips that sorted itself out once the fender liner/tires got a little worn. Upon closer inspection It was only the top of the tire occasionally hitting the fender liner so it wasn't a concern.

I also had some rubbing in the rear by the fender liner that I sorted out with a dremel because I was worried about some metal tabs making contact with the tires and I didn't want anything catastrophic happening at high speed:

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1780655

Also keep in mind I only put 11k miles on the car in the 4.5 years I owned it so I can't really talk about how it stood the test of time. But If you want to avoid any rubbing issues either don't lower it as much as I did, and/or use 12mm spacers instead of 15.
That's awesome dude, thanks for the insight.

Did the KW's improve handling and stability?

Also, are they easy to adjust? Is it a wheels-off or ramp job? Or can it be done on the drive?

Some of your pics have so much character, I find American cities and nature so amazing and beautiful. We just don't have that kind of scenery or driving roads where I am in England, it sucks.
      08-23-2022, 08:48 AM   #32
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
That's awesome dude, thanks for the insight.

Did the KW's improve handling and stability?

Also, are they easy to adjust? Is it a wheels-off or ramp job? Or can it be done on the drive?

Some of your pics have so much character, I find American cities and nature so amazing and beautiful. We just don't have that kind of scenery or driving roads where I am in England, it sucks.
Lowering the car definitely improved stability while turning and made the car feel more planted. At high speeds (100+) in a straight line the f87s short wheel base felt very sketchy to me, even with the car lowered. Maybe some aero would help with that.

In terms of ride comfort, one thing I loved about the KWHAS kit was the retention of the OEM shocks which are fantastic at absorbing bumps in my opinion. Ride comfort is still top notch with this set up and I never tracked my car which is why I never upgraded to coilovers.

I don't have any insight on making adjustments unfortunately, I had a friend who is a mechanic do all of that fun stuff for me.

Yes, the US is very large and beautiful and is like Europe in a sense, where leaving your home state can be like visiting a different country. I'm from the north east which is very scenic, especially in the fall. Makes for good photos
      08-23-2022, 09:55 AM   #33
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
In terms of ride comfort, one thing I loved about the KWHAS kit was the retention of the OEM shocks which are fantastic at absorbing bumps in my opinion. Ride comfort is still top notch with this set up and I never tracked my car which is why I never upgraded to coilovers.
It's a shame that the HAS kits are bandages, they all drastically shorten the life of the stock struts by forcing them to operate out of their intended range. The only way to do long-term suspension on this car is to go coil-over, but for short-term the HAS kits can't be beat.
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2022, 10:02 AM   #34
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
Quote:
It's a shame that the HAS kits are bandages, they all drastically shorten the life of the stock struts by forcing them to operate out of their intended range. The only way to do long-term suspension on this car is to go coil-over, but for short-term the HAS kits can't be beat.
For what it's worth I had mine for about 10k miles and 4 years and no issues. I think shock life will depend on how much you drive, how much you lower the car, and the quality of the roads you drive on. If you have a garage queen like my car, it's a non-issue.
      08-23-2022, 12:05 PM   #35
dtmurf
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2

Garage List
1996 BMW 318is  [4.75]
2012 Audi Q5  [4.50]
2017 BMW M2  [10.00]
Wondering if you had any issues with the X5M Razor Key Conversion?
      08-23-2022, 12:14 PM   #36
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by dtmurf View Post
Wondering if you had any issues with the X5M Razor Key Conversion?
No issues at all (other than needing to change the battery). Also have the gates innovations key for my F30 and I love it.
      02-19-2023, 07:15 AM   #37
Drifter2090
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 | E92 335i | E90 335d

One of the cleanest builds! Great job Andrew, sad to see it go but it's good inspiration for my BSM OG build
Appreciate 0