M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > PSC2 hot temps

05-27-2019, 09:54 PM   #1
kristobias
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2CS

PSC2 hot temps

Does anyone have experience and recommendations on the hot temps to aim for with PSC2 tires? Setup is 265/35/18 square with camber plates and KW HAS
      05-29-2019, 03:33 PM   #2
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

I'm curious, measured how? Probe while in pits, IR in pits? IR while on track? I'm currently in learning process what optimum temps are measuring with IR while on track.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2019, 07:30 AM   #3
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kristobias View Post
Does anyone have experience and recommendations on the hot temps to aim for with PSC2 tires? Setup is 265/35/18 square with camber plates and KW HAS
I've measured using a laser thermometer, started doing it over about 6 track days on the psc2s. Initially, before this period, I used ps4s and moved to psc2 after I found the high-end temperature of the ps4s starts to lose its grip by becoming greasy. Ps4s actually is very grippy at the low temp end and really good in the rain, where with the psc2 in the rain is really just for a bit of fun and going pretty slow and learning car control.

Personal experience for me is the best running temp was around 40 celsius (convert if you use F), it would remain in what felt to me to be the highest grip state.

At the low end (~10-20 C) for me it is very noticeably less grippy and feels hard. Personally I do a warm up lap or two and where it is safe to do so (no cars near) I would weave to bring the temps up. If you want to test for yourself just to see the low end temp grip, you can try to push out of a corner at these temps gently just to see for yourself how little grip there is at the lower temps as your rears break traction easily.

I usually end a session at up to 80 C and I spend time to cool it down, either by timing for at least a cooldown lap before the end of the session, or I go out to the lot to cool them down. You will notice the greasy, low grip feeling past this point and for me I would take a cooldown lap or 2 at this point.

If you've got TPMS I suggest just keeping it up on the dash and keeping an eye on the temp, it's not 100% accurate but its a good indication. Usually within 5-10 C of what's going on. First lap or two while you are warming up watch it rise to the temp you want, go for a few fast laps then you should see the temp go up to 60 and higher, for me at 70ish I would cooldown a lap to bring it back to 50-60 and go again until the end.

Obviously, this all depends on the type of circuit you're running at, my circuit is hard braking so heats the tires very quickly.

This is all my own experience, is not universal but hope it helps.
Appreciate 1
      06-22-2019, 08:51 AM   #4
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

Interesting to see how temps change in different track sections! These are R888Rs

Appreciate 0
      06-22-2019, 10:09 PM   #5
codylikerice
Private
Australia
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MagnusT View Post
Interesting to see how temps change in different track sections! These are R888Rs

This setup is awesome, what's the equipment you're using?
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2019, 10:39 AM   #6
MagnusT
Captain
Sweden
Rep

My own cheap thermal cam build. And Racechrono and Gopro :-)

Here's my open source project page on github https://github.com/MagnusThome/RejsaRubberTrac
Appreciate 0