BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Vorshlag Camber Plates & NVH

02-12-2019, 06:02 PM   #1
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Black Shadow Edition

Vorshlag Camber Plates & NVH

I'm about to pull the trigger on Vorshlag F Series camber plates in preparation for some spring and summer tracking. Will probably run at -2.5 front.

Reading some last minute reviews and I keep seeing the term NVH which is new to me but apparently stands for Noise/Vibration/Harshness which I guess some camber plates can add to the vehicle.

It's a big purchase and not one I want to regret so does anyone have experience with Vorshlag camber plates and possible rattling and noise that might result, or other camber plates for that matter?

Is NVH inherent if you do camber plates or rare?

Thanks.
      02-12-2019, 07:10 PM   #2
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

No issues with my Vorshlag’s. 40+ track days, 20k miles.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 08:45 PM   #3
theEZV
Lieutenant
Russia
Rep
Drives: F30 335i; Looking for F80

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
Do you daily the car? To be honest I'm only looking at getting plates for my KW V1s so I can run a square x9.5 setup all around, and just need something that I can set and forget that will stand up to daily use year round.
Appreciate 0
      02-12-2019, 09:08 PM   #4
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZM2 View Post
What camber are you running? Do you change from street to track?
      02-13-2019, 05:48 AM   #5
ZM2
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

Lots of info on this in the Suspension section of the forum.

I daily it. -1.8 on the street, -3.1 on the track.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 06:11 AM   #6
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Also, can you run them on stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2019, 07:37 PM   #7
jclaib7
First Lieutenant
Rep

I reached out to Vorshlag with this question and one of their engineers gave me a very detailed and technical response so I thought I would share it here and close the loop on this. I'll report back after i've had the camber plates installed for awhile.

"John, there are three issues here, so I'll address them all.

#1, yes, all camber plates, all brands, even "street" plates, add some NVH to any car they are installed on. Our camber plates do not make or cause any noise, but removing a big chunk of rubber and replacing it with metal will allow noise from other parts of the car to be transferred to the tub, and on to the passenger compartment. Adding a small isolation biscuit, or a rubber gasket under the spring isn't enough to change this. There should be NO knocking or rattling from the camber plates though, only a slight change in harshness and other noises being passed on. For most cars it is about the same as going to a +1 tire fitment.

#2, the F30/F80 series cars have rubber embedded sphericals in their suspension which is great for performance use, but passes on more noise than the solid rubber or fluid filled bushings they used to use. We are finding that about one in ten of them have an issue with something in the lower suspension, front cradle or transmission. This issue is making noise and transferring it to the tub. This is more noise than normal, and it's isolated to this series of BMWs. We've had customers swap from one brand of camber plate to another, and then another with the noise following them. I can't tell you if your car will be a noisy one or not, and despite a few dealers digging into these cars we don't know the source of the noise. I have not had an affected car available to us to see if we can find the source, which I suspect is a control arm bushing that has a good spherical, but damaged rubber.

#3, the first short run of camber plates with OEM style spring perches I made for this car did not accommodate the upper spring isolator. We found that as the spring moved it would make a "tick" noise as it compressed over the nose of the spring perch. One of our customers gave us feedback about this issue at the same time he posted online. I redesigned the spring perch to use the OEM upper spring isolator and sent them out to the few owners that had the early version. That solved the spring-tick issue they found."

Thanks,
Jason McDaniel - Lead Engineer, Vorshlag Motorsports
      02-14-2019, 09:22 AM   #8
modernbeat
Motorsports Engineer
Rep
Drives: Caged

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
Also, can you run them on stock suspension?
Yes, but since the plates are modular, they have to be configured for the OEM spring and OEM strut. And only through 2018 models of the M2. For the 2019 M2 models BMW added the M3 strut tower bracing which interferes with camber plate fitment.
      02-14-2019, 09:17 PM   #9
KeepItlow
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: Car

Good info here, looking to buy Vorshlag Camber plates too so I can get more negative front camber for trackdays..
Appreciate 0