BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > Kimchi and Rice - A Build Saga (M2C) (Schirmer Page 9)

02-18-2019, 11:06 PM   #111
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 19 AW M2C, 21 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
And...????
Lol I'll post a preliminary report right now.
      02-19-2019, 12:38 AM   #112
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Ohlins Install + Painting the Muffler

Ohlins Install + Painting the Muffler

Yesterday I had President's Day off from work so some M2 friends and I headed over to our local BMW performance shop so we could do some work.

For me, I wanted to paint my muffler black and install my Ohlins. Another friend, who just received his M2C, wanted to paint his muffler, install front/rear reflector deletes, and install the oil cooler guard.

I showed up a little late since traffic in Seoul sucks, and immediately got to work once I got there.

All lined up, pretty and all.

Now time to get the old stuff outta there! 5,180 miles on these.

Now it was time to start putting the Ohlins together and installing them.

So.... Issue number 1 was that I just went with what Ohlins sends in the box which is 9k/18k or something extreme like that, I've ridden in that before and it's teeth shattering, at least on roads here in Korea. So we sent off for some 12k springs for the rear, much more manageable.

....Then issue number 2. One of the rear dampers' adjustment knob was freely spinning and apparently disconnected. As a result not only could you not adjust the firmness, but if you put weight on the damper to compress it, it wouldn't rebound after. Obviously some issues there.

So as my car was already fairly well taken apart at this point, so do I reinstall everything stock and ship the entire giant package back to the US for warranty repair? Korea has an Ohlins branch so I can just send it there, but does my US warranty cover it? Thankfully the shop owner had a lightly used set of Ohlins which he grabbed two rear dampers from and loaned them to me while I send my pair to Ohlins Korea for repair. I'm going to see if Ohlins USA will reimburse the cost to fix it, but we'll see!

Next on the list was that ugly fugly muffler!

The way we did it was we took (and by we I mean the shop owner and his employee, I just watched) the exhaust off, prepped it by taping off the tailpipes and spraying some sort of cleaner on it to prep the surface. We could have used steel wool to prep it, but we didn't because it seemed like it was "good enough" and if some paint comes off later I'll just reapply. Or, buy a new exhaust.

Anywho, once that was done it was painted twice then reinstalled. Yeah I guess we could have done the heat cycles but as in the above paragraph, if there's issues with the paint I'll just buy a new exhaust. The paint we used was Rustoleum flat black rated to 2000F.

The muffler pretty much disappears now. Happy with the results!

Meanwhile I was jealously looking at my friend's new M Performance shifter... Might be ordering this soon along with some other alcantara stuff Another friend has a M Performance steering wheel and I really like the feel of alcantara on the steering wheel so I might do that too.

I also took a minute to do a mini-photoshoot of another buddy's car, timing was perfect with the snow.

We also did a mini photoshoot with everyone but I'll post about that in a subsequent post, I'm still going through my photos.

OKAY. SO THE OHLINS. WHAT DO I THINK ABOUT THE OHLINS.

So for starters, I have a s2000 in the states that is on Ohlins. Love them on there, knew I'd love them no matter the application so I didn't even cross shop I just went for it. If I wanted to directly compare the stock M2 suspension and Ohlins I would break it into two categories:

For every day driving, Ohlins don't "crash" over bumps and dips in the road like the M2's stock suspension does. For whatever reason my apartment complex thought it would be a great idea to install those stone pavers (they're pretty gnarly) so on my stock suspension it would be pretty jarring and it would seem to "crash" over them, whereas the Ohlins float over them for lack of a better term. I won't say that you don't feel any vibration or that it's literally like an air ride suspension or something like that, but it definitely stays much more composed. As far as stiffness, they're definitely more stiff! But it's not the "so stiff I'm bouncing around everywhere with my teeth falling out" but you can definitely feel that it is stiffer.

For spirited driving, the steering feels more direct and the car definitely is more "planted" and I have a lot more confidence taking a corner. Body roll is diminished significantly. I'll know more once I push the car a bit but yesterday it was pretty cold so I took it easy. I can't underestimate the "direct" feeling of the steering now... Huge difference.

I am going to wait to fully open it up because I still need to get an alignment. I can tell that switching out the suspension has tweaked it a bit (which is understandable) and I went to do it yesterday but the place was so booked up and it was threatening snow so I didn't get it done. I'm hoping for this weekend, it's not a big deal since I took the train to work today anyway lol.
      02-19-2019, 10:25 AM   #113
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Another awesome post! Appreciate it!

Curious - where in Seoul is this shop? And would love any more feedback as you get more wheel time and after the alignment. Thanks!!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 05:57 PM   #114
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Another awesome post! Appreciate it!

Curious - where in Seoul is this shop? And would love any more feedback as you get more wheel time and after the alignment. Thanks!!
It's actually in Yongin, which is about 12km south of the very bottom tip of Gangnam. Take the exit right before the first toll booth on hwy 1 and go about 8km from there and it's around there.
      02-19-2019, 07:52 PM   #115
scflaw
Captain
Rep
Drives: M135I, Macan S, G26 i4M50

How's the Ohlins on the M2C? I've contemplated it over feverishly but i was worried that it was going to make little noises.
Appreciate 1
mhanism277.00
      02-19-2019, 07:57 PM   #116
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by scflaw View Post
How's the Ohlins on the M2C? I've contemplated it over feverishly but i was worried that it was going to make little noises.
I posted a mini-review in my previous post-

Quote:
For every day driving, Ohlins don't "crash" over bumps and dips in the road like the M2's stock suspension does. For whatever reason my apartment complex thought it would be a great idea to install those stone pavers (they're pretty gnarly) so on my stock suspension it would be pretty jarring and it would seem to "crash" over them, whereas the Ohlins float over them for lack of a better term. I won't say that you don't feel any vibration or that it's literally like an air ride suspension or something like that, but it definitely stays much more composed. As far as stiffness, they're definitely more stiff! But it's not the "so stiff I'm bouncing around everywhere with my teeth falling out" but you can definitely feel that it is stiffer.

For spirited driving, the steering feels more direct and the car definitely is more "planted" and I have a lot more confidence taking a corner. Body roll is diminished significantly. I'll know more once I push the car a bit but yesterday it was pretty cold so I took it easy. I can't underestimate the "direct" feeling of the steering now... Huge difference.

I am going to wait to fully open it up because I still need to get an alignment. I can tell that switching out the suspension has tweaked it a bit (which is understandable) and I went to do it yesterday but the place was so booked up and it was threatening snow so I didn't get it done. I'm hoping for this weekend.
As far as noise, I guess you can get some noises where the aluminum Ohlins rub against the steel connection points (specifically in the area in the photo below) but I haven't heard any. Silent. No creaking, etc. It's a good suspension.

02-19-2019, 09:38 PM   #117
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Random question - how would you compare the M2C to your S2000? I understand the two cars aren't of the same class, time period or purpose, but both are performance sports vehicles; so figured I'd get your take, aside from some of the obvious differences and strengths/weaknesses: 2 seater roaster vs 4 seater coupe, weight differences, ride height, and NA high rev vs. turbo engineer characteristics, technology and luxury features, etc.

How's overall driving 'feel', tossability/nimbleness, fun factor, balance..

Thanks!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2019, 10:59 PM   #118
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Random question - how would you compare the M2C to your S2000? I understand the two cars aren't of the same class, time period or purpose, but both are performance sports vehicles; so figured I'd get your take, aside from some of the obvious differences and strengths/weaknesses: 2 seater roaster vs 4 seater coupe, weight differences, ride height, and NA high rev vs. turbo engineer characteristics, technology and luxury features, etc.

How's overall driving 'feel', tossability/nimbleness, fun factor, balance..

Thanks!
Hmmm interesting question.
For starters, I can't literally compare them side to side because they're physically located 6,000 miles away from each other. But I did drive the s2000 over Christmas and I nearly crashed the car once I started driving! The clutch feel, shifter, everything was SO MUCH DIFFERENT than the M2 it really threw me off.
I think the best way to explain it is the M2 is a hammer and the s2000 is a razor. Actually, a better analogy is the S2000 is a brain surgeon and the M2 is an ER doc - S2000 is precise, exact, and if you mess up it's big consequences with nothing to save you - rear steps out there's literally no saving it. The M2 is sooo forgiving if the rear steps out, but goes about everything with brute force (and quickly at that!) that kind of leaves you in awe that "you were able to keep that guy alive??" One's focus on the track is momentum (s2000) and the M2 is about power. S2000 is a true "sports car" or even I'd say a "track car" that you can drive on the street, whereas the M2 is street car that you can drive on the track.

In terms of value, you get more value out of a s2000. If I de-modded my s2000 and sold it today, I'd sell it for more I bought it for. The M2 depreciated the second I started driving it. S2000 is seen as one of the last raw and mechanical sports cars, and the M2 is seen as a ton of technology shoved in a small package. I love how much cool technology the M2 has and it's all a lot of fun to play with. M2 has torque whereas the S2000 doesn't and you really have to wring it out to get it to do anything, M2 is much more balanced than i thought it would be, but doesn't have the 50/50 weight distribution of the s2000.

So yeah I'd say that they're extremely different, yet of course share similarities. They have that base sports car DNA but one is compromised and the other isn't. You can't choose one or the other because they both serve a different purpose. Most people who buy a s2000 and then sell it end up buying another s2000 later on down the road, I think people who sell the M2 end up buying a M3/4 later on.

Anyway, hope that answers your question in a roundabout way.
      02-19-2019, 11:46 PM   #119
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Appreciate the response and pretty cool feedback! While they're on different ends of the sports car spectrum, I'm relieved to hear the M2 has the sport car DNA still. I'm sure mods like a sportier suspension, exhaust, tune will push things more towards the rawer sports car side of things.

Looking forward to your on-going posts and pictures!
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2019, 05:45 PM   #120
mhanism
Captain
United_States
Rep

Oh and I thought the M2 (and most other BMWs) has the 50/50 weight distribution. I could be mistaken, but I thought that was the case..
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2019, 08:02 PM   #121
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Mini-Photoshoot

After we installed the Ohlins + painted the muffler we all went out for a quick photoshoot.

02-26-2019, 12:28 AM   #122
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
What about ride quality with Ohlins? Much stiffer that stock suspension?
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2019, 02:22 AM   #123
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
What about ride quality with Ohlins? Much stiffer that stock suspension?
Well I went with softer settings than what comes in the box. In the box the rears are 18k and I went with 12k, which is a big difference. Even then, yes the ride is stiffer. A lot stiffer even. But, for obstacles and bumps I think it handles them MUCH better than OEM suspension.

It's also much more competent and it's much, much more capable in corners. Sharper handling.
      05-27-2019, 06:53 PM   #124
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Volk ZE40 install

It's been awhile since I updated the thread but I just had a big change so it's time to update! I have a few other small updates that I'll throw in soon but I want to get this one out of the way.

In January I ordered a M2 spec set of Volk ZE40's in Bronze and they finally arrived in the mail. The M2 spec is 19x9+23 (F), 19x10+34 (R). This ends up being 6mm further offset than stock. These sizes replace the original M3/M4 size as well, which were 19x9.5+22 and 19x10.5+35, which were a bit aggressive for the M2 and some people had issues with rubbing, even when they ran 245/265 tire widths.

I also decided to up the tire width to 255/275, and there is plenty of room to do so. I went with Michelin PS4S and so far in my 20 miles of driving I like them! I went with the PS4S over something more aggressive like RE71's because I wanted the tires to last a little longer.

Now I had heard rumors that not all 19" rims will fit over the M2 Competition brake caliper, but I was assured that it would fit by a number of different people since the inner barrel of Volks tends to be fairly wide. However, my worst fears were confirmed after we mounted and balanced the tires and tried to install the wheel - it doesn't clear by ~2mm or so. It has to do with the very outer edge of the caliper being just a little too wide. Just a word to the wise, the valuable lesson I learned here was don't mount tires without test fitting the wheel first.

At this point I had a couple of options... I could sell the wheels + tires at a likely loss locally, but another shipment of ZE40 had just come in so the market was saturated so to speak - or I could take this opportunity to change the brakes. In all honesty I was never a fan of the M2 Competition brake kit, I feel that they're too heavy for any performance benefit they might have. Sure they look great, but they're HEAVY. I can't find the exact thread at the moment but if my memory serves the M2 comp brakes are 35lbs heavier than the OG M2 brakes. The brake kits in stock immediately available to me were the $10k Brembo kit or a baby blue Alcon kit, or try to source a blue kit from a F87 M2. So I ended up buying a readily available used M2 brake kit to run for now while I decide what kit I want to go with.

While some would have said I should have waited on installing the wheels then, well, I don't disagree but I'm shipping my car back to the states in two weeks and it was the best solution at the moment.

What are my thoughts? So far I'm happy! I'm by no means a professional racing driver but I can tell no discernible difference in braking between the 6p and 4p kits, I can tell a slight difference with the tire widths, and I want to say that the car feels a bit more nimble with the wider tires, lighter wheels, and lighter brakes, but I'm not sure if that's a placebo or not. I'll drive more and report back.

Anyway, on to the pictures!

First things first, remove the TPMS from the stock wheels so we can move them over to the new wheels.

Now... Let's mount!

It was at this point we realized the wheel wouldn't fit, started exploring options, etc. etc.

And it was then time to say goodbye to these.

New brakes are definitely smaller... Definitely. But I actually feel that they fit the car better. So I'm really happy with the switch.

They fit! Thank god.

Now time for some finished shots.

05-28-2019, 12:35 AM   #125
VIERsr
Major
Switzerland
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
Blue calipers really don't match with bronze rims
Appreciate 0
      05-28-2019, 12:53 AM   #126
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by _RS4_ View Post
Blue calipers really don't match with bronze rims
Eh not bothering me too much at the moment, once I decide the direction I want to go with the brakes then I'll do something about it. If I keep them, then I'll paint them otherwise it'll get switched to another car with the new kit.
      05-28-2019, 01:09 AM   #127
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Horrible news about the brakes, but the wheels look great. I love Volks, had CE28N Time Attacks on my 350Z.
if youre thinking about going darker on the windows, do it. I have 20% tint, it's perfect. Can't see in at night but can see perfectly out, 3M ceramic.
      05-28-2019, 01:37 AM   #128
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Horrible news about the brakes, but the wheels look great. I love Volks, had CE28N Time Attacks on my 350Z.
if youre thinking about going darker on the windows, do it. I have 20% tint, it's perfect. Can't see in at night but can see perfectly out, 3M ceramic.
Can't go darker now, I'm shipping the car to California in 2 weeks and they have strict tint laws!
      05-28-2019, 01:57 AM   #129
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by warrenw View Post
Quote:
Can't go darker now, I'm shipping the car to California in 2 weeks and they have strict tint laws!
I hear you, I'm two states north of CA, nobody really cares in WA.
I still think you should put the big brakes back on.
      05-28-2019, 04:01 AM   #130
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Quote:
I hear you, I'm two states north of CA, nobody really cares in WA.
I still think you should put the big brakes back on.
Eh, we'll see how I feel about it in a month or two. I can always switch back later if I want.
      05-28-2019, 06:58 AM   #131
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I’m liking the brake crossgrade. The fast and furious wheels are not my cup of tea though. But can appreciate different people like different things.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2019, 08:38 AM   #132
warrenw
Food Critic
South Korea
Rep

Update - changes, but no change

Well, a lot has changed (but actually very little) since my last update!

Mid June I put my car in a container and shipped it to the US.

I dropped it off June 12th, and June 3rd it hit the port of Long Beach! Then it took about two weeks to clear customs.

Due to the fact I had to surrender my plates in Korea, I had no way of driving it home so I had a friend pick it up for me and drop it at my house.

Then started the saga of getting it registered. I took everything into the DMV, but they rejected me because I only had copies of the customs forms instead of the "wet signature." Have you seen these guys' signatures? It's literally just a line, or an X, or a scribble. Anyway, had to track that down from CBP and have him mail it to me. Meanwhile I needed a smog, VIN verification, EPA certs, etc. Even though it's a brand new US spec car.

The funny part was CBP made me get a letter of conformity from BMW for EPA and DOT conformance even though BOTH are literally listed on the title of the car - which I had provided - and are on stickers in the engine bay of the car, which was technically in his possession.

Anywho, I took everything to the DMV and got it registered. I was really worried that I would have to pay CA use tax on the car, but thankfully my bill of sale was July 12th and I registered in CA on July 14th of the following year, so since that's technically 12 months I was exempt from paying tax.

It's great having the car back in my possession, and it's great being able to drive it on smooth roads! In comparison Korea was like driving on a washboard. I had also forgotten how easy it is to rack up miles too - in a little over a month I've already done an additional 1,200 miles!

My next hurdle is getting ConnectedDrive to work. The Korean VPC disconnected it so I've never had maps, carplay, or anything like that. My phone connects via bluetooth not wifi. I've taken it in twice now, the first time they couldn't help me because I "wasn't in the warranty system yet", the second time I went in they complained they didn't have enough techs since it was Saturday and nobody was there who could code, and now I have an appointment for Monday. Hope they get it working.

After that, I need to take the car in to a friend's shop and have the holes they drilled in my bumper fixed. It's driving me nuts.

Then, I need to track down why my Ohlins are making so much noise. I started a thread on it last week, I'm thinking I need new top hats. There is so much ticking and clacking especially at slow speeds and while turning it's driving me insane.

Future mods? I'm trying to get my competition brakes mailed to me here and I plan on selling the Volks and getting 763's. I love the Volks, but having the downgraded brakes just kind of bothers me a little bit. It's like I'm driving around with something missing.

Just as a side note, it's weird being back. I was gone for 5 years and so much has changed in America since then. Not to mention the stark cultural contrast, I definitely feel out of my element. I'm slowly getting back in the groove though.