BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > M2 Track Time (The New New - Top Times only from the namesake thread)

11-15-2020, 02:12 AM   #133
pal
Captain
Rep
Drives: Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvas View Post
Equalled, to the 100th of a second, my previous best time at LRP, although had a best rolling lap in the mid 0.59s. Was a cool day, perfect for setting good lap times. Unfortunately, my front brake pads were getting paper thin, prohibiting my pushing any further.
You clearly have some great car control, but watching that video it seems your hands are quite busy, esp. through Big Bend and West Bend. Almost felt like you were fighting oversteer a bit. Or was it just you trying to drive it at the top of tire mountain and exploring the other side?
Appreciate 0
      11-16-2020, 11:41 AM   #134
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal View Post
You clearly have some great car control, but watching that video it seems your hands are quite busy, esp. through Big Bend and West Bend. Almost felt like you were fighting oversteer a bit. Or was it just you trying to drive it at the top of tire mountain and exploring the other side?
I like the car a bit on the loose side, it's easier to control and a lot less annoying than an understeering setup. But you're right, that day did require some busy handwork. I could have softened the rear a bit that day towards more neutral handling.

I had a TCR Touring Car Champion, and close friend, drive my car on track and he also suggested softening the rear/hardening the front. I did that by only a few clicks and the car started to understeer badly so I had to back it off a bit to get somewhere in the middle. But this type of setting is really only good for that moment in time when you are really trying to drive at the limit of grip everywhere. As ambient temperatures, track temps, tire temps and condition, etc. changes, so does the need to adjust the suspension settings to compensate. Given that I don't have a crew and am a bit lazy to tinker all day to get that perfect setting, every spring I get new rubber, corner balance/align and find a setting that generally works (unless there is severe weather changes) and just compensate for the rest by driving around it.

Having said that, taking a corner fast requires some meaningful slip angle and slide. Having done many, many days in my M2 and previous cars, I'm comfortable sliding it out a bit. Plus it's fun when you get it just right with a tiny bit of oversteer correction at the exit.
      11-19-2020, 11:20 AM   #135
twocannsam
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2c

This post is little over due but headed back to New York Safety Track for post mod shake down on September 25th nearly a month after baseline.

New York Safety Track - 1:42.191 (Track Addict) 9.25.2020
2019 M2 Comp
6 Speed
Ohlins R&T (stock rates, 5 clicks)
Ground Control CP's
Rogue TAB Monoballs

Both mods and growing track experience led to finding 4+ seconds. What a platform!

*First Track day was August 28th

Quote:
Originally Posted by twocannsam View Post
New York Safety Track
1:46.366 (Track Addict)

2019 M2 Comp
6 Speed
bone stock
* baseline set, running next month with Ohlins R&T, GC Camber Plates, TAB Monoballs

Picture this time, video for next session
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 02:09 AM   #136
Slyphen
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
Ridge Motorsports Park. Couldn't find my gopro so you'll have to excuse my dash cam footage. Trackaddict was running though.

Full stock include tires: 1:58:09

Still got a lot of time out there.

Last edited by Slyphen; 12-07-2020 at 02:19 AM..
Appreciate 2
bentom2335.50
pal433.00
      12-07-2020, 10:59 PM   #137
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyphen View Post
Ridge Motorsports Park. Couldn't find my gopro so you'll have to excuse my dash cam footage. Trackaddict was running though.

Full stock include tires: 1:58:09

Still got a lot of time out there.

That’s a solid time in a stock M2. Nice driving.

Did they do anything to reduce the compression dip between 7 and 8a? It still looks like your car reacts to it, but it doesn’t look as severe on camera. Could just be the video flattening everything out.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2020, 11:59 PM   #138
Slyphen
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentom2 View Post
That’s a solid time in a stock M2. Nice driving.

Did they do anything to reduce the compression dip between 7 and 8a? It still looks like your car reacts to it, but it doesn’t look as severe on camera. Could just be the video flattening everything out.
Thanks. yah they smoothed out the dip and opened up some corner entries. I was pussy footing at turn 10 and turned in way to early into the cork screw. i reckon there's at least another 6-7s out there. still learning the car
Appreciate 1
bentom2335.50
      12-08-2020, 06:22 PM   #139
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slyphen View Post
Thanks. yah they smoothed out the dip and opened up some corner entries. I was pussy footing at turn 10 and turned in way to early into the cork screw. i reckon there's at least another 6-7s out there. still learning the car
Please post video as you chase that 6-7s. You’re already running faster than me.

Fun to have a good rabbit to set the pace.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2020, 11:00 PM   #140
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a white BMW

Quote:
The dry grip of these tires falls somewhere between the Michelin PS4S and the Bridgestone RE71R, breakaway appears to be predictable, and wear is better than both of these tires. It handles heat better than the PS4S and hence does not appear to be chunking after 5 days, and it does not wear our like the RE71R does where you can see it wear after every session.

In the wet I'd day it also falls between the RE71R and the PS4S, and while it will not run PS4S laps in the wet, it allows for driving at a decent pace where you can have some fun and are not simply driving around the track just because it's your session. Breakaway in wet and slippery conditions is predictable - the one day I had it in the rain, I felt it gave enough warning before the rear would let go.

Overall, this is certainly a tire that will be in my list of go-to tires in the future.
So I ran this tire over the weekend and was pretty happy with it given the price and having nothing to compare it to (other than some 3 year old Sportcontact3s ). What were you running for hot pressures? I struggled a bit trying to work out pressures and was shooting for 36psi hot, but just couldn't get the wear to the little foot. We also had some shifting weather complicating things a little bit.
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2020, 09:22 AM   #141
Erwan
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2c, 2011 GTI

Hit up Laguna Seca yesterday, rained all weekend - track was still wet and super slick for my first session out. However, by the time my second session was up the sun had come out and plenty of cars had driven the track, it was dry and quick!

Went out on my stock MPSS tires and managed to beat my best time by 1/10th, was a really sloppy lap with turn 3 being compromised by traffic and then some over steer here and there. I'm sure I could have gone a few tenth quicker still but then....front passenger tire decided that it no longer wanted to be abused right at the apex of turn 6, popped off the wheel - sent the car into the sand, car is fine thankfully (minus the wheel). Will post video of that later.

But for now... 1:42.1 in essentially a stock BMW M2c with the only mods brembo HT64 brake fluid and pagid RS29 pads for peace of mind.

Appreciate 1
kpaso183.00
      12-16-2020, 10:35 PM   #142
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

2nd time on track and 2nd time at COTA. First time was in my previous '18 M2 where I ran a 2:46.xx on old Continental Sportcontact3 (or something to that effect).

New time 2:36.22

'21 M2 Competition
Öhlins R&T 5 clicks Fr & Rr
GC camber plates Fr: -3.2 Rr: -2.3
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar3 245/35-19 & 265/35-19
Pagid RSL29

I'm pretty new to this and know there's still time in the car and me. I think I'm surprised that the very wide exit at T6 my Miata-driving instructor showed was as quick as it was. I typically lift a tad to nose in for the 2nd apex of 6 and keeping right to setup T7. Anyway, wondering if I can get into the 34s on this setup—I like the challenge of trying to get the most out of the stock tire sizes. I had a great instructor the 2nd day who really pushed me on a couple corners and it's just unfortunate track conditions didn't cooperate to give me a shot at bettering Saturday's time.

Appreciate 0
      12-18-2020, 08:45 AM   #143
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
So I ran this tire over the weekend and was pretty happy with it given the price and having nothing to compare it to (other than some 3 year old Sportcontact3s ). What were you running for hot pressures? I struggled a bit trying to work out pressures and was shooting for 36psi hot, but just couldn't get the wear to the little foot. We also had some shifting weather complicating things a little bit.
Comparisons aside, what did you think of the tires?

I am not great at managing tire pressures at the track. Between my sessions, student sessions and BSing in the paddock the day is kinda full That being said, I started the day at 30psi cold all around and I believe they got up to the 40-42psi range. Towards the end of sessions, they felt a bit greasy, so I believe shooting for a 36-38psi hot may be a good target to shoot for.

As for wear, I am impressed at how well these tires seem to hold up. The sidewall appears to be solid as well. And I have stock camber.
Appreciate 0
      12-20-2020, 12:28 AM   #144
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

I am not great at managing tire pressures at the track. Between my sessions, student sessions and BSing in the paddock the day is kinda full That being said, I started the day at 30psi cold all around and I believe they got up to the 40-42psi range. Towards the end of sessions, they felt a bit greasy, so I believe shooting for a 36-38psi hot may be a good target to shoot for.

As for wear, I am impressed at how well these tires seem to hold up. The sidewall appears to be solid as well. And I have stock camber.
I was happy with them—good feedback, very progressive as they give, and they relatively talkative. I would agree they seemed to grease up toward the end of a 25min session, but it was typically the front for me, and I'm learning how to be more gentle on turn-in. The wear seems excellent and it'll be interesting to see where the performance is as they continue to wear. I should also add that given what I was coming from, I think I could have been faster/harder getting on throttle to get more out of the rear.

I am very much in the learning camp so I'm trying not to overthink and begin making changes (evidenced by only setting pressures despite very different track conditions). That said, I have read these tires have very stiff sidewalls and it makes me wonder if I should have set my dampers to be a little faster and/or shot for even lower tire pressures. I'm at -3.2 camber up front and only started to wear the wing-feet when my pressures dipped to 35.x psi hot. I definitely think a pyrometer is in my future if I want to challenge myself on the 245/265 setup.

Also in terms of the rear, looking back at the afternoon of day 2, I was getting some ASD blinking exiting the long T16,27,18 "carousel". I don't think it's anything that I wouldn't be in control of if it were off, but I'm curious if that is throttle it's trying to keep in check, or is it unhappy because the car is essentially in a light 4-wheel drift there? See 8:12 and 10:51 in the vid below—almost the exact same spot where I'm slowly rolling on throttle and letting the car shift wide to be "caught" at the exit where the track cambers in a bit.

Appreciate 1
      12-20-2020, 08:14 PM   #145
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M1500Z View Post
Quote:

I was happy with them—good feedback, very progressive as they give, and they relatively talkative. I would agree they seemed to grease up toward the end of a 25min session, but it was typically the front for me, and I'm learning how to be more gentle on turn-in. The wear seems excellent and it'll be interesting to see where the performance is as they continue to wear. I should also add that given what I was coming from, I think I could have been faster/harder getting on throttle to get more out of the rear.

I am very much in the learning camp so I'm trying not to overthink and begin making changes (evidenced by only setting pressures despite very different track conditions). That said, I have read these tires have very stiff sidewalls and it makes me wonder if I should have set my dampers to be a little faster and/or shot for even lower tire pressures. I'm at -3.2 camber up front and only started to wear the wing-feet when my pressures dipped to 35.x psi hot. I definitely think a pyrometer is in my future if I want to challenge myself on the 245/265 setup.

Also in terms of the rear, looking back at the afternoon of day 2, I was getting some ASD blinking exiting the long T16,27,18 "carousel". I don't think it's anything that I wouldn't be in control of if it were off, but I'm curious if that is throttle it's trying to keep in check, or is it unhappy because the car is essentially in a light 4-wheel drift there? See 8:12 and 10:51 in the vid below—almost the exact same spot where I'm slowly rolling on throttle and letting the car shift wide to be "caught" at the exit where the track cambers in a bit.

Thanks.

Re: your DSC question, what I've found on BMWs is that the system likes to control your throttle input on track out to prevent the car from "spinning" out and it's annoying when all you're trying to do is carry some slip angle on exit. I guess it's designed for a wide swath or driver skills. Once you start to get comfortable, try turning DSC fully off and see how the car feels. Take it down a tenth or two while you explore.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 12:22 AM   #146
pal
Captain
Rep

The Ridge Motorsports Park, 3/20/2021, Session 7 - Fast Lap

- Pagid RS29 brake pads
- Castrol SRF brake fluid
- BMW front camber correcting hubs
18" BMW 513M wheels with 255/40 (f) and 275/40 (r) Good Year Eagle Supercar3 tires
- Rogue Engineering transmission mounts
- Akrapovic exhaust (stock downpipe)
- Recaro Sportster CS seats

Appreciate 3
      03-22-2021, 11:39 AM   #147
Nitromidah
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Stock 2018 M2 w/ Ferodo 2500 pads & new Michelin PSCs
Still working up my confidence to carry more speed into turns.

Anyone have a recommendation for and OBD data system and compatibel app? Those views are great!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1NgoYSuENNU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2021, 11:51 AM   #148
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitromidah View Post

Anyone have a recommendation for and OBD data system and compatibel app? Those views are great!

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1NgoYSuENNU" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>
I have had good luck with my Aim Solo 2 DL and race render software.
      03-24-2021, 07:59 PM   #149
pal
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitromidah View Post

My video was made from a GoPro Hero5 Black video file using Race Technologies GoPro specific software. This also lets you do basic data analysis on your PC.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2021, 03:19 PM   #150
chiefsubjugator
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT LBB

No times from Sonoma recorded yet? You can add mine - 2:03.64. Fully stock, just castrol SRF and Pagids in the front.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 01:21 PM   #151
M1500Z
First Lieutenant
Rep

New PR at COTA last weekend 2:35.5 ✊��

Same setup as last time
'21 M2 Competition
Öhlins R&T 5 clicks Fr & Rr
GC camber plates Fr: -3.2 Rr: -2.3
Goodyear Eagle F1 Supercar3 245/35-19 & 265/35-19
Pagid RSL29

I have no idea if this is a respectable time for this car/setup, but strongly feel like there's a 34 in me and the car—that may have happened but my lap timer was acting up and only recorded ~10 laps over the weekend. That said, I think the stock 245 front is very limiting over the course of a session.

A funny convo that happened: Some dude in a GT350R on Pirelli slicks saw me around the car on day 1 and asked if it was mine. I said yes, to which he replied, "Dude. That thing hauls ass!," in a slowly-measured way. He then said he was running 35/34s and couldn't catch me ����*♂️ (no idea if that's true, but made me feel good). He also mentioned just how much faster it seemed than his E90 he also owns.

Last edited by M1500Z; 03-30-2021 at 03:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2021, 02:36 PM   #152
kart driver
Captain
Rep
Drives: M & GT

Any idea of what time difference experienced driver (not a pro though) can achieve between the two cars on a typical 90-120 seconds racetrack?

1) M2 competition, DCT, M Perfomance coilovers, Cup2 tires
2) M2CS, DCT, M Perfomance coilovers, Cup2 tires
Appreciate 0
      03-31-2021, 06:01 AM   #153
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by chiefsubjugator View Post
No times from Sonoma recorded yet? You can add mine - 2:03.64. Fully stock, just castrol SRF and Pagids in the front.
You'll need to add the times yourself. Link to the spreadsheet is in the OP.
Appreciate 1
      04-02-2021, 10:04 AM   #154
AWC-F87
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Streets of willow CCW 1:25
Appreciate 0