BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > 763M Wheel locks

10-20-2020, 12:35 PM   #1
chrisfortier
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

763M Wheel locks

Does the CS come with wheel locks, or do I need to order separately? TIA!
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:15 PM   #2
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Mine came with wheel locks, but even better is adding a second set.

Appreciate 1
Artemis28911.50
      10-20-2020, 01:16 PM   #3
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Just say no to those terrible wheel locks. If you have a need of them you're parking in the wrong damn place.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 01:34 PM   #4
Pol
Major
Belgium
Rep
Drives: M2 CS BMS DCT August 2020

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
Just say no to those terrible wheel locks. If you have a need of them you're parking in the wrong damn place.
Prevention is better than cure, mho.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 02:20 PM   #5
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I disagree.

AFAIK every F87 M2 iteration came/comes stock with one BMW wheel lock on each wheel (well, at least the EURO-spec ones). Adding a non-BMW wheel lock per wheel helps preventing wheel theft by amateurs (who often have the BMW key set) + damage from leaving the car without wheels (rotors / body / paint). However, it will not stop pros who are determined to get your wheels (if they want them, they'll get them).

Tip 1: 5 bolts per wheel: fit the wheel locks opposite to each other, rather than right next to each other.

Tip 2: wheel lock key storage: imagine where thieves would look first to find the key and outsmart them.

McGard wheel locks (rumor has it that they are a BMW supplier) - M14 x 1.25 is the right size for F87 M2:
  • black head: 27226sub: here;
  • chrome head: 27226su: here.
Less than €55 + shipping = money well-spent on your first mod.

My set (black head):

Victim I personally know (unpleasant surprise after returning from a business trip):

Other victim:
      10-20-2020, 02:53 PM   #6
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
I disagree.
Just another thing we'll have to disagree on, and 2 pictures isn't going to change my mind. But then again, I don't park on the street, or in parking garages, and don't live in the city. Of course, I hardly think it'll be any different for those with a CS.
Appreciate 1
      10-20-2020, 03:11 PM   #7
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Just another thing we'll have to disagree on, and 2 pictures isn't going to change my mind. But then again, I don't park on the street, or in parking garages, and don't live in the city. Of course, I hardly think it'll be any different for those with a CS.
Let me guess: you don't like insurances and back-up plans too.
      10-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #8
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
I work for an insurance company

I've seen more wheel locks that had to be machined off of wheels than I have stolen wheel sets, so there you go. I have the set of wheel locks that came with my car if you'd like them, they are free to you other than the shipping.

And again, I live in a small town, no need for that sort of thing here.
Appreciate 0
      10-20-2020, 04:19 PM   #9
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
I've seen more wheel locks that had to be machined off of wheels than I have stolen wheel sets, so there you go. I have the set of wheel locks that came with my car if you'd like them, they are free to you other than the shipping.
Yeah, that's a classic: a lost wheel lock key. But with McGard wheel locks you get a code printed on a sheet of paper sent with the package (which you better keep aside in case of need). Should you ever lose the wheel lock key they can make you a new one if you can provide the code: https://shop.mcgard.de/customer-key/

If the wheel lock or the wheel lock key itself is messed up or you lost the code, it's of course a different story: most tire dealers can help you out, but it's a job they usually hate to do (can involve damaging tools to get the job done).

Quote:
You bad boy, recommending wheel locks could save money for less than the price of 1 refuel.

Name:  BadDog.jpg
Views: 1139
Size:  60.0 KB
      10-21-2020, 02:04 PM   #10
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:

Take it from someone who used to roll around with wheel thieves; wheel locks are in-fact a deterrent.

For the record, I didn't personally steal myself but didn't have a car and was very young, so they were like my bad Uber.

It's not that wheel locks are not impenetrable but to remove them can be a tedious and noisy process, which attracts attention, which is the last thing you need in, that line of business, unless it's maybe a stormy night where you can cover your tracks.

Point is, you never know how many times they kept your wheels attached, unless one day you get slipping without them and your can ends up on some cinder blocks.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 03:48 PM   #11
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

My US M2C didn't come with wheel locks.

I haven't had wheels stolen, but had a Holley 600 stolen off of my 289 while I was away on a weekend trip...:
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:26 PM   #12
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Take it from someone who used to roll around with wheel thieves; wheel locks are in-fact a deterrent.

For the record, I didn't personally steal myself but didn't have a car and was very young, so they were like my bad Uber.

It's not that wheel locks are not impenetrable but to remove them can be a tedious and noisy process, which attracts attention, which is the last thing you need in, that line of business, unless it's maybe a stormy night where you can cover your tracks.

Point is, you never know how many times they kept your wheels attached, unless one day you get slipping without them and your can ends up on some cinder blocks.
Deterrent? Sure. But they're like a pinstripe on a Ferrari...just not needed.

Maybe it's where I drive, and park my car. It's not a '79 Olds, it's an M2...

This is my view at work, just now, and it's about the only place I park my car other than my garage.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:36 PM   #13
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

This is my view at work, just now, and it's about the only place I park my car other than my garage.
Hmm.. Fine, I surrender, I obviously can't argue with that caliber of icon-clad logic..

I'll just remember to only park my car at home and absolutely no where else, problem solved!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 06:39 PM   #14
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Hmm.. Fine, I surrender, I obviously can't argue with that caliber of icon-clad logic..

I'll just remember to only park my car at home and absolutely no where else, problem solved!
There you go again.

Are you aware that you're argumentative?

Exrapolate.

If you're going to park your M2 on the street overnight, in bad neighborhoods, at the mall for hours, or some unsecure parking garage for the same, then yeah, you might need wheel locks. But you might do yourself one better and be smarter...buy a beater.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 07:02 PM   #15
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

There you go again.

Exrapolate.

If you're going to park your M2 on the street overnight, in bad neighborhoods, at the mall for hours, or some unsecure parking garage for the same, then yeah, you might need wheel locks. But you might do yourself one better and be smarter...buy a beater.

Argumentative?

You are arrogantly advising people not to use a $40 wheel lock, claiming that they're as effective as pinstripes and no one steals M2 wheels, when there are clearly several cautionary photos of wheels that where already stolen, from various different locations..

If for a small cost, by chance, the added annoyance of some wheel locks means that a would-be armature thief would maybe move on to something easier and spare your $6,000 wheels, wouldn't a reasonable person assume they are worth the investment..

That's all I'm saying..
Appreciate 3
BigKutta3870.50
MomoM3981.00
      10-21-2020, 07:05 PM   #16
AUSf22
Lieutenant Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C HS & Ferrari Roma

Garage List
Quote:

Hi, I wonder what shipping is like to Australia during these times ... Jks

My 2020 M2 Comp didn't come with lock nuts either
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2020, 11:32 PM   #17
Artemis
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Argumentative?
You are arrogantly advising people not to use a $40 wheel lock, claiming that they're as effective as pinstripes and no one steals M2 wheels, when there are clearly several cautionary photos of wheels that where already stolen, from various different locations..
If for a small cost, by chance, the added annoyance of some wheel locks means that a would-be armature thief would maybe move on to something easier and spare your $6,000 wheels, wouldn't a reasonable person assume they are worth the investment..
That's all I'm saying..
Siding with Poochie here.

In a perfect world, door locks, seat belts, airbags, crumple zones, safety nannies and the like are all redundant features on a car.

But in real life, we don't live in a perfect world.

10-22-2020, 12:46 AM   #18
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Siding with Poochie here.

In a perfect world, door locks, seat belts, airbags, crumple zones, safety nannies and the like are all redundant features on a car.

If I had a CS with those gold 763Ms, you better believe I'm double-bagging and installing two separate model of wheel locks.

Anything to discourage a thief will factually work to your advantage..

I too have cameras inside and facing my car, they are reactionary and not proactive as wheel locks.
Appreciate 1
      10-22-2020, 09:01 AM   #19
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Argumentative?

That's all I'm saying..
Junk. Waste of time for 99.999% of the population.

Quote:

Wow, 2 pictures? Bro, you can do better than that.

Find 500 and you might change my mind.

And notice where they are parked...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:17 PM   #20
smknjoe
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2018 GTI, 2007 Rabbi

Not going to take sides here, but I'm definitely careful about where I park. If I need to go to a "less desirable" part of town I take my VW Golf. 😁 She's been such a great little beatermobile.

Anecdotally, this seems to be more common in Europe. Maybe because people park on the street more? Maybe because it's easier to get away with? 🤷🏻*♂️

...in the US you have much more "freedom" to protect yourself and your property...
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2020, 12:38 PM   #21
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Thinking about it, my negative experience comes from having worked at several car dealerships. People regularly lose their wheel lock key, or strip the lock face itself so much more commonly than wheels are stolen. But again, I realize that's probably because of my area. In my 50 years I've never seen a single car up on blocks like the pictures above, having had the wheels stolen, but that doesn't mean it doesn't happen, or that all wheel locks are bad. To each their own.
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2020, 09:10 AM   #22
MadBimmeRad
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M235i, 420i, and now the M2 CS

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
I disagree.
My 9-month old 420i GC was stolen from my garage recently. Thieves broke into the house while we were still up in other rooms, took the keys and the car.

We live in a reasonably good suburb in S.Australia. I guess if they want what you've got bad enough, they'll find a way to take it.

I'm now petrified to find out what my insurance premium will be for the M2CS after the theft.

BTW, what colour are the wheel nuts/locks for the gold wheels on the CS?