BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > First HPDE in a few weeks, which tires to learn on?

06-04-2019, 01:31 PM   #45
OldDirtyCoaks
Private
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by just blaze View Post
I have my first HPDE in a few weeks and was wondering what tires would be best for my first day and to learn on as well as the next couple of HPDE days.

Now before anyone says "stock tires", I would but the OEM MPSS need to be replaced. So now I'm looking for some opinions for a first timer. I see the RE-71r brought up a lot but not too sure if having that type of tire would be more than I need at the moment considering this is my first track day, and secondly, the possibility of the tire masking some of the mistakes I would make as a beginner. I will be using stock 437M wheels for this year and see how things go before committing to a full track wheel/tire setup.

Current mods are:

Ohlins R&T coilovers
Vorshlag camber plates

Track:

Laguna Seca

HPDE organization:

HOD
Invest in yourself first, it's likely the car is far beyond your abilities as a driver stock and the best benefit is going to come from proper instruction/coaching and seat time.

Until you are able to pull laps that are consistently within .5 seconds of each other, you are going to be the main hindrance to your performance.

And keep the traction control on, use it as a guide to teach you how to be smoother.
Appreciate 1