BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Rev Match in Autocross

05-20-2019, 05:18 PM   #1
toy4speed
Private
Rep
Drives: bmw m2

Rev Match in Autocross

Hi! Still getting to know my M2 LCI. Want to autocross in B-Street once all the routine stuff is inspected, fluids changed, etc.

Been googling and youtube binging for info on DSC, Sport, MDM, settings. Still wondering is it possible to turn off all the "nannies" yet still retain the rev matching? For now, it seems (to me) the most I can do is Sport+ and still rev match. That setting still has "some" DSC right?

What settings are you all using in the Street tire class autocross events?

I haven't delved any deeper than basic IDrive so far. Thanks!

Don
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 07:36 PM   #2
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by toy4speed View Post
Hi! Still getting to know my M2 LCI. Want to autocross in B-Street once all the routine stuff is inspected, fluids changed, etc.

Been googling and youtube binging for info on DSC, Sport, MDM, settings. Still wondering is it possible to turn off all the "nannies" yet still retain the rev matching? For now, it seems (to me) the most I can do is Sport+ and still rev match. That setting still has "some" DSC right?

What settings are you all using in the Street tire class autocross events?

I haven't delved any deeper than basic IDrive so far. Thanks!

Don
Give this a read: http://www.bimmerfile.com/2016/02/22...ng-the-bmw-m2/
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:25 PM   #3
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

My rev matching is still enabled with DSC turned off. Hold down the traction button for a few seconds and you get the "DSC Off" mode.

I never tried Traction mode yet (single press of the traction button) so not sure of rev matching is retained there.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:35 PM   #4
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
My rev matching is still enabled with DSC turned off. Hold down the traction button for a few seconds and you get the "DSC Off" mode.

I never tried Traction mode yet (single press of the traction button) so not sure of rev matching is retained there.
It is. You have to hold the DSC button for 10 seconds or so to go full traction off and remove rev matching.

I've noticed the best way to practice on your own is to rev match prior to selecting the gear (clutch in, neutral, rev match, select gear, clutch out) to remove the need to turn of all hold modes just to practice heel-toe.
'15 Subaru BRZ (Sold)
'12 Camaro (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2019, 08:46 PM   #5
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ec90 View Post
It is. You have to hold the DSC button for 10 seconds or so to go full traction off and remove rev matching.

I've noticed the best way to practice on your own is to rev match prior to selecting the gear (clutch in, neutral, rev match, select gear, clutch out) to remove the need to turn of all hold modes just to practice heel-toe.
Ohhh, I just realized something. Maybe I have rev matching with DSC off because I have a DCT.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:41 AM   #6
toy4speed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by landapanda View Post
Very good read! Thank you! Looks like turning off DSC fully, also stops the rev matching.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:48 AM   #7
toy4speed
Private
Rep

So, what setting is everyone using for autocross events? I like the feel of the throttle in Sport+, rev match still works, but not sure how much of the DSC or traction control is remaining. Perhaps for my driving style, maybe Sport+ will be a faster way around an autocross course. I'm guessing the faster drivers don't feel the need for rev matching, and can do the heel/toe thing ok, so no need for Sport+ for them.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 05:13 AM   #8
ec90
Private
Rep
Drives: '17 M2

Quote:
So, what setting is everyone using for autocross events? I like the feel of the throttle in Sport+, rev match still works, but not sure how much of the DSC or traction control is remaining. Perhaps for my driving style, maybe Sport+ will be a faster way around an autocross course. I'm guessing the faster drivers don't feel the need for rev matching, and can do the heel/toe thing ok, so no need for Sport+ for them.
i haven’t autocrossed the M2 yet but I’d tell someone to start in sport and expect to stay in second gear mainly. As you get better then work with Sport+.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 08:49 AM   #9
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Turn everything off, learn how to heel/toe downshift. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 11:53 AM   #10
toy4speed
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CosmosMpower View Post
Turn everything off, learn how to heel/toe downshift. Problem solved.
Haha! Yes, the easy solution! I can adequately heel/toe downshift, but if this amazing car can do it for me, it is one less thing for my aged brain to think about. When I autocrossed a BRZ a few years ago, it had rev matching, and I thought it made that car an even greater joy to autocross. Some courses require lots of shifting around here, and my reflexes are a bit slower now so poorly executed downshifts may lose me a 1/10 or so on a turn entry. It adds up. Still, I'm looking forward to trying the DSC full off (no rev match) vs. the Sport+ on a course. Will be an interesting study. It's all fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 01:31 PM   #11
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Haha! Yes, the easy solution! I can adequately heel/toe downshift, but if this amazing car can do it for me, it is one less thing for my aged brain to think about. When I autocrossed a BRZ a few years ago, it had rev matching, and I thought it made that car an even greater joy to autocross. Some courses require lots of shifting around here, and my reflexes are a bit slower now so poorly executed downshifts may lose me a 1/10 or so on a turn entry. It adds up. Still, I'm looking forward to trying the DSC full off (no rev match) vs. the Sport+ on a course. Will be an interesting study. It's all fun.
I think you don't really have a choice, the car even in MDM mode is pretty restrictive on cutting throttle when it encounters wheel slip. I get what you're saying though, it does make it very easy. Unfortunately I don't know of a way to get DSC fully off and retain auto rev match.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2019, 03:37 PM   #12
toy4speed
Private
Rep

Yup, looks like DSC full off is the way. At least on this setting the power remains at 100% whereas I believe some of the other settings (Sport, Sport+, MDM) can decrease engine power a certain amount. I'm sure on less than dry surfaces, those Sport settings can be very helpful.
Appreciate 0