BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Why so people lower there ride height????

03-07-2020, 10:58 AM   #1
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2021 Z4 M40i - Lexus NX300 F

Why so people lower there ride height????

I have 2020 M2C- The stance of the car- the way the car feels to me feels absolutely perfect.

Back in the day I used to have nothing but Japanese cars and the first thing I would always do was put on swift springs or Eibach Springs. G37 IPL- 350z NISMO. My Q50 Red Sport- RSR springs.

Yes the car would look cool lowered -but then I would end up ruining my chamber premature tire wear and after a while the car would feel bouncy after about 25k miles. Trying to understand why anyone would want to mess with the competition suspension on this car. Except for the fact that lowering the car lowers the center gravity point -makes it look nicer but does it really increase the overall handling of the limits that you're going to push the vehicle?

I'm not sure if anything changed on the year 2020 for the M2 competition. I know the car feels amazing and I know that there's an M performance Coils kit—but I'm trying to understand if spending an additional $3000 installed am I really going to see a benefits over a suspension has been tuned by engineers on the Nuremberg Ring in multiple test environments to get the car to feel absolutely perfect.

I was not able to find any post regarding MY20
Suspension VS the M- performance suspension.

If I was to lower the vehicle with a M performance suspension kit I would only lower it by 10mm.

Thanks!
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 11:16 AM   #2
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

I think with the M2C there are handling advantages with proper coilovers and a reasonable drop to lower the center of gravity. As you said it wouldn't necessarily be perfect without some trial and error with adjustments. IMO, slammed cars are not good for twisty driving or everyday commuting, they are really for smooth tracks and get a fail when more compliant suspension is needed to keep traction on uneven roads.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-07-2020, 11:25 AM   #3
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
On the M2, I ran stock.

On the M2C, I installed the MPC prior to delivery.

The MPC is amazing. Though even at recommended settings it too low and scrapes the black brake mud flaps which is annoying. I plan to raise it a tad

Last edited by omasou; 05-09-2020 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:30 AM   #4
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
On the M2, I ran stock.

On the M2C, I installed the MPS prior to delivery.

The MPS is amazing. Though even at recommended settings it too low and scrapes the black brake mud flaps which is annoying. I plan to raise the at least 1/2"
Quote:
On the M2, I ran stock.

The MPS is amazing. Though even at recommended settings it too low and scrapes the black brake mud flaps which is annoying. I plan to raise the at least 1/2"
So out of the box what is the ride height? I'm literally looking for two finger ride height if that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:41 AM   #5
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
It looks better, and handles better when it's lower, and yes, at the expense of increased wear and shortened life of some components. But such is the way with high performance cars.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 11:45 AM   #6
FrozenGT
Captain
Rep

The M performance suspension is designed in house by M division from my understanding and KW builds it to there specifications.

I wish I knew if the suspension thats on my 2020 model is better than the M performance suspension.

Meaning when they released the M performance suspension back in 2016 it was to upgrade the handling characteristics of the M2 not the competition. All my sources that I have read the competition version does have different suspension tuning.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:45 PM   #7
Tag
this is the way
Rep
Drives: N-1 starfighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
The M performance suspension is designed in house by M division from my understanding and KW builds it to there specifications.

I wish I knew if the suspension thats on my 2020 model is better than the M performance suspension.

Meaning when they released the M performance suspension back in 2016 it was to upgrade the handling characteristics of the M2 not the competition. All my sources that I have read the competition version does have different suspension tuning.
Early on during the M2c debut there was some inaccurate information regarding the M2c's suspension being revised. We all later learned there were no changes, a quick parts lookup will show you the OG M2 and M2c share the exact same suspension components and part numbers. To further confuse things owners noticed the M2c had better ride quality compared to the OG M2 which had some convinced the suspension had been re-tuned. It had not, the difference in ride quality between the two models can be attributed to the added bracing which stiffened up the front of the M2c as well as the M2c weighing more than the OG M2.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2020, 12:47 PM   #8
omasou
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMWs

Garage List
2023 BMW S1000RR  [0.50]
2022 BMW F900XR  [3.00]
2022 BMW X6 40i  [0.50]
2020 BMW M2C  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrozenGT View Post
Quote:
On the M2, I ran stock.

Quote:
On the M2, I ran stock.

On the M2C, I installed the MPC prior to delivery.

The MPC is amazing. Though even at recommended settings it too low and scrapes the black brake mud flaps which is annoying. I plan to raise the at least 1/2"
So out of the box what is the ride height? I'm literally looking for two finger ride height if that makes sense.
Looking for pictures of lowered M2C https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1545008

Page 2
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 12:50 PM   #9
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

“handles better” is a very subjective term. Most folks here haven’t done back to back runs with and without a suspension upgrade and even if they did, most of us aren’t consistent enough from lap to lap to identify an improvement if there was one.

Lowering the car lowers the cg but it also modifies the suspension kinematics. How? Nobody knows because we also don’t know how camber/toe were changed/if any. What’s the tire pressure? what’s the tire spring rate(specific to the tire)?

Good Suspension design is usually rooted in engineering and mathematics.

A lowered car sometimes looks really good and it’s not shameful to say you did it for looks.

Improved handling? show me the data.
Appreciate 2
FrozenGT1116.50
///AVM2528.00
      03-07-2020, 02:09 PM   #10
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
I did it for looks.
Appreciate 2
JeremyDFW458.00
Kankles1484.50
      03-07-2020, 02:25 PM   #11
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Adding to the comments of it looks good and lower center of gravity for better handling. Lowering the car also smooths out the air that passes underneath the car. Making the car more aerodynamic and fuel efficient.

And on top of that, I think fat girls can't ride in low cars. I had a hispanic neighbor a number of years ago with a decal on his windshield that said "too low for fat hoes" so that's where I'm getting that that's another reason to lower your car lol.
Appreciate 2
BigKutta3895.00
Tag18119.50
      03-07-2020, 02:46 PM   #12
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
I wouldn't touch it because I think the ride is perfect, and I don't need to worry about every tiny bump in the road. Some lower it to ugliness, while some are tastefully done, just the right amount to close the gap slightly in the wheel well. I suppose mostly looks, as I can't imagine there is a significant benefit to performance.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-07-2020, 02:51 PM   #13
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by spetsnazos View Post
“handles better” is a very subjective term. Most folks here haven’t done back to back runs with and without a suspension upgrade and even if they did, most of us aren’t consistent enough from lap to lap to identify an improvement if there was one.
No, it's not.

Lowering the car by even 10mm will also lower the center of gravity and increase the negative camber slightly, both of which will make the car handle better. Not that it would make a massive difference, of course, but there will be a positive difference.

Physics, bitches.
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2020, 02:53 PM   #14
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

There is a difference between coilovers and lowering springs. Which I'm sure everyone knows, but hasn't mentioned yet. The reason coilovers will always be faster than lowering springs, and even stock suspension, is because with coilovers you can corner balance the car, adjust rebound/compression, and suspension heights depending on the track and type of racing you are doing.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 02:54 PM   #15
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
We have several streets near me that have speed bumps. Lowering is not an option because the car would scrape.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 02:57 PM   #16
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
No, it's not.

Lowering the car by even 10mm will also lower the center of gravity and increase the negative camber slightly, both of which will make the car handle better. Not that it would make a massive difference, of course, but there will be a positive difference.

Physics, bitches.
I was going to respond to him myself, but after seeing he prefers anecdotal evidence over science and that he thinks no one knows the affects of lowering a McPherson suspension, I figured it wasn't worth the effort.
Appreciate 1
      03-07-2020, 04:03 PM   #17
wavyyyy
Captain
Rep

Garage List
2023 bmw m3 6mt  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
We have several streets near me that have speed bumps. Lowering is not an option because the car would scrape.
This whole time I thought I was scraping my bumper, but when I got it on a lift I realized I was scraping the mud flaps.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 04:37 PM   #18
Montaver
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 718 GT4 & M340i LCI

I wouldn't touch the suspension (unless it's camber plates) without changing the dampers. The primary benefit of coil overs is more sophisticated dampers that have better control, adjustability, and won't overheat and deteriorate under extended load. The stock dampers are decent, but are designed with longevity in mind as well as performance. Even lower end coil overs such as the M performance will be a significant upgrade. The stock system also has progressive springs on the rear which softens small bumps but can make it feel a bit 'bouncy' over rough pavement at low speed.

Overall I think the stock suspension has quite an impressively broad operating window, for the street I wouldn't touch it. But for the track proper coil overs will provide more feel, and respond much quicker to large hits (i.e. slamming curbs), and because they control undulations in one stroke increase front and rear end traction.

If you care about aesthetics but don't want to change the stock dampers, reducing the damper stroke will result in a deterioration in ride quality and performance. Why people spend $60k on an M2C then put $300 H&R springs on it makes no sense to me, as it has 0 upsides (and multiple downsides) outside of aesthetics.
Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-07-2020, 05:00 PM   #19
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
On the M2, I ran stock.

Are you running a splitter with your MPS?

My MPS kit has been collecting dust for over 5 months now and I'm feeling forced to sell them now that I'm going for a front splitter

I still want to be able to drive anywhere, steep ramps and bumps no exception
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:19 PM   #20
OGM2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 AW DCT MPS,N180 4Runner

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dav3 View Post
Are you running a splitter with your MPS?

My MPS kit has been collecting dust for over 5 months now and I'm feeling forced to sell them now that I'm going for a front splitter

I still want to be able to drive anywhere, steep ramps and bumps no exception
Sounds like your going to have to make a choice. I have the MPS set at factory recommended specs and have only scraped the rubber flaps but would most likely have scraped any splitter maybe with the exception of the winglets. I do avoid steep driveways when I’m not sure but am pretty much able to drive normal. Speed bumps are a non issue. IMO most splitters don’t look good on this car anyway. The lower front bumper is just not conducive to good designs.
Appreciate 0
      03-07-2020, 07:44 PM   #21
Dav3
Major
Rep
Drives: G87 M2/E89 35is/F21 M140i/GT4

Quote:
Originally Posted by OGM2 View Post
Sounds like your going to have to make a choice. I have the MPS set at factory recommended specs and have only scraped the rubber flaps but would most likely have scraped any splitter maybe with the exception of the winglets. I do avoid steep driveways when I’m not sure but am pretty much able to drive normal. Speed bumps are a non issue. IMO most splitters don’t look good on this car anyway. The lower front bumper is just not conducive to good designs.
I have a front splitter on the Z4 M and I think that car sits a lot lower than the M2C and have no issues yet.

M2 Competition front bumper is fine in stock form, winglets (which I bought but am selling) are a good tradeoff but I wanted to finish my front end with something different that is not carbon

Went for the AC Schnitzer front splitter, will paint bottom BSM and supports in white (AW car). Honestly, I think it looks quite neat, really doesn't have to be carbon fiber all the time

Appreciate 1
FrozenGT1116.50
      03-08-2020, 01:11 AM   #22
aerokubectl
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by VisualEcho View Post
No, it's not.

Physics, bitches.
You honestly just skipped like 30 variables in suspension design and decided to go with “lower == better”.

This cars suspension was specifically designed for a certain ride height. Yeah physics...the kind of stuff the doesn’t do make broad stroke assessments excluding 30 variables. I think you’re thinking of something more divine...
Appreciate 0