BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis > Bilstein PSS10 B16

03-02-2020, 01:11 PM   #1
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2C HS

Bilstein PSS10 B16

Anyone rocking these coilovers? Would love to hear your thoughts and please share photos of your ride height with the settings as well. (Ur photo of your car and if you are at the min height setting etc)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2020, 10:06 PM   #2
bentom2
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

See post #8 from DriverDaily

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1697147
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 03:34 AM   #3
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Daleb also has them on his M2

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=35
      03-03-2020, 05:16 AM   #4
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep
Drives: M2

Me me, as well and we're loving them.

Before I had stock shocks with eibach springs, but I hated the rear end.

The comfort was terrible and I was looking for something that can improve comfort and have better damping over standard suspension setup.

The B16 PSS10 was the right choice after very long search, and for my country shitty street use I run them on 5 knob position on all 4 corners. The height is bit lower then stock suspension, and the springs are really good quality as there isn't any height difference 4 months after installation.

There is a youtuber from Uk who reviewed them and he didn't like them after few months of usage. Because most of the people do the lowering and than expect that damping will be in check for standard road use. While adjustments has to be made when running them on street or on track.

That's why we measure the shock length when compressed and expanded in order to find the fine adjustment for standard road usage.
Appreciate 2
Bee Pee1737.50
Krelle90.00
      03-03-2020, 08:11 AM   #5
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
Me me, as well and we're loving them.

Before I had stock shocks with eibach springs, but I hated the rear end.

The comfort was terrible and I was looking for something that can improve comfort and have better damping over standard suspension setup.

The B16 PSS10 was the right choice after very long search, and for my country shitty street use I run them on 5 knob position on all 4 corners. The height is bit lower then stock suspension, and the springs are really good quality as there isn't any height difference 4 months after installation.

There is a youtuber from Uk who reviewed them and he didn't like them after few months of usage. Because most of the people do the lowering and than expect that damping will be in check for standard road use. While adjustments has to be made when running them on street or on track.

That's why we measure the shock length when compressed and expanded in order to find the fine adjustment for standard road usage.
Thanks for the input. Do you have a photo of your setup/ride height?
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2020, 09:08 AM   #6
Yellowflash21
First Lieutenant
Slovenia
Rep

We have documented the initial measurements, but its in my friends garage. I will take snapshot of it, with the current car height by the end of this week.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2020, 09:14 AM   #7
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yellowflash21 View Post
We have documented the initial measurements, but its in my friends garage. I will take snapshot of it, with the current car height by the end of this week.
Thank you, I look forward to seeing a photo!
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 04:11 AM   #8
Alfy
Private
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

I installed the B16's on my car last week and loved the handling of the kit but faced an issue regarding the ride height as well. My plan was to drop the front by 20mm and the rear by 15mm compared to the stock ride height to achieve a positive rake of 5mm between front and rear.

Before the installation, I read the instruction booklet carefully and noticed that Bilstein specifies a minimum and maximum measurement range for the front and rear spring adjusters of (175mm-190mm from the spring seat to the center of the pinch bolt for the front and 50-60mm from the adjustable spring plate till the spring seat for the rears).

So I respected this range and set my measurements to 190mm (highest setting) on the front and 50mm (lowest setting) on the rear. To my surprise, the front got lowered by 25mm and the rear dropped by 10mm compared to stock. So I want to lift the front by 5mm and drop the rear by 5mm to achieve my desired ride height but I will fall out of Bilstein's specified range if I do so!!!

There are still plenty of threads on the spring adjuster to lift or drop the car but I don't know what the consequences will be if I exceed the range. My front is lower than the rear by 15mm at the moment which is 10mm above my desired goal.

Do you think it will be fine to exceed the specified measurements?
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      03-04-2020, 06:42 AM   #9
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfy View Post
I installed the B16's on my car last week and loved the handling of the kit but faced an issue regarding the ride height as well. My plan was to drop the front by 20mm and the rear by 15mm compared to the stock ride height to achieve a positive rake of 5mm between front and rear.

Before the installation, I read the instruction booklet carefully and noticed that Bilstein specifies a minimum and maximum measurement range for the front and rear spring adjusters of (175mm-190mm from the spring seat to the center of the pinch bolt for the front and 50-60mm from the adjustable spring plate till the spring seat for the rears).

So I respected this range and set my measurements to 190mm (highest setting) on the front and 50mm (lowest setting) on the rear. To my surprise, the front got lowered by 25mm and the rear dropped by 10mm compared to stock. So I want to lift the front by 5mm and drop the rear by 5mm to achieve my desired ride height but I will fall out of Bilstein's specified range if I do so!!!

There are still plenty of threads on the spring adjuster to lift or drop the car but I don't know what the consequences will be if I exceed the range. My front is lower than the rear by 15mm at the moment which is 10mm above my desired goal.

My understanding is that raising the car higher than the recommended spring perch range results in too little rebound travel and potential premature damper wear.

https://www.bilstein.com/uk/en/blog/...tion-mistakes/

Bilstein says:
Quote:
the spring plate is set too high, the shock absorber goes into the rebound buffer and has too little rebound travel. There is a risk of the spring blocking. The result of incorrect spring plate height: less than ideal driving behaviour.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2020, 10:19 AM   #10
Detoxified
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Thanks for providing these pictures, I actually don't think I will go with Bilstein coilovers since I'd want the rear another 10mm or so lower than picture above and your at the lowest setting. I'll either have to commit to KW or stick with BC racing.
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 01:56 AM   #11
Alfy
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DriverDaily View Post
My understanding is that raising the car higher than the recommended spring perch range results in too little rebound travel and potential premature damper wear.

https://www.bilstein.com/uk/en/blog/...tion-mistakes/

Bilstein says:
That will make me feel better to lower the rear by a little bit.

There are enough threads to the lower the car as much I want but that Bilstein lowering range doesn't make sense...
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2020, 07:05 AM   #12
DriverDaily
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:

There are enough threads to the lower the car as much I want but that Bilstein lowering range doesn't make sense...
The same goes for going lower than the recommended range: you might have issues with early damper wear, hitting the bump stops, and not enough travel.

I too was disappointed with the adjustability of the Bilstein s, but I am hoping to find a slightly thicker camber plate or spacer between the body and strut to let the front sit higher without going outside the recommended range.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2020, 10:13 PM   #13
dvas
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 - Mineral Gray, 6spd

Have had B16's on my '17 M2 since 2017. 18,000 miles and 50+ track days later, no issues. Much better control than stock and love the adjustability for track. Built like a tank.
      03-18-2020, 12:33 AM   #14
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

Quote:

Did you end up adjusting? How’d it feel?

I’m thinking of B16 for a 15mm/15mm drop.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 11:02 AM   #15
Alfy
Private
Lebanon
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bioman View Post
Did you end up adjusting? How’d it feel?

I’m thinking of B16 for a 15mm/15mm drop.
I ended up lowering the rear by another 7mm and raising the front by 2mm to achieve a positive rake of 5mm and got the car realigned.

The car drives so much better compared to stock suspension, the body role has been significantly reduced without compromising ride comfort. The car basically feels like it's on rails and traction has also improved.

Regarding the ride height issue, I was comfortable exceeding the lowering range on the rear since I never put passengers in the rear so I basically have no added weight to stress the dampeners.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2020, 06:07 AM   #16
bioman
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E30

Do you think there’d be much issue with a 15/15mm drop? Or even a 10/10mm drop? I can’t go too low due to my area roads.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2020, 01:48 AM   #17
Gusman1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I ended up lowering the rear by another 7mm and raising the front by 2mm to achieve a positive rake of 5mm and got the car realigned.

The car drives so much better compared to stock suspension, the body role has been significantly reduced without compromising ride comfort. The car basically feels like it's on rails and traction has also improved.

Regarding the ride height issue, I was comfortable exceeding the lowering range on the rear since I never put passengers in the rear so I basically have no added weight to stress the dampeners.
Did you ever get measurement from the bottom of the wheel to the fender? I should have measured stock height but I forgot.
I just installed mine stiffness is set at 5F & 3R and I'm at about 590mm all around. My guess is it's set too low and out of the range since the ride is very bouncy over small bumps in the road.
      04-24-2021, 04:39 PM   #18
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Bump please.

I'm interested in the Litchfield B16 package, I don't want to go very low they are saying 10mm is the lowest drop you can do.

Based on this thread is that true?

What is minimum height drop of B16s?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2021, 05:04 PM   #19
Gusman1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Bump please.

I'm interested in the Litchfield B16 package, I don't want to go very low they are saying 10mm is the lowest drop you can do.

Based on this thread is that true?

What is minimum height drop of B16s?

Thanks
Based on what my installer told me, the minimum is above stock height.
      04-24-2021, 05:59 PM   #20
bmwv
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 325i Manual, M2 LBB DCT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
2006 BMW 325i  [0.00]
the only reason i a have not put these is the minimum drop. my understanding is 25mm
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:49 AM   #21
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

See what I mean. Try to make an informed choice but one of you thinks ABOVE stock height and one 25mm minimum drop!

I mean I could get it installed ask for minimum drop but what if it's 25mm are they going to honour an email where they say they 'believe' the minimum drop is 10mm? It's obvious non committal language.

Would you have a case to demand reversal of fitment back to stock as they have not provided a product as advertised?

It should be SIMPLE and tbh should be in their website.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:17 AM   #22
Gusman1
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
See what I mean. Try to make an informed choice but one of you thinks ABOVE stock height and one 25mm minimum drop!

I mean I could get it installed ask for minimum drop but what if it's 25mm are they going to honour an email where they say they 'believe' the minimum drop is 10mm? It's obvious non committal language.

Would you have a case to demand reversal of fitment back to stock as they have not provided a product as advertised?

It should be SIMPLE and tbh should be in their website.
I don't "think", I know this is the case. I have them installed on my car. My installer set them initially to around half way and the car sat about the same height or higher than stock. This has also been the experience from other members if you search in the forum.

This is where he ended up setting it at (590mm all around from wheel to fender). Front & rear had about 10mm left, so pretty much maxed out. Lowered the rear a little more when I went to 18s.

Not sure how manufacturers measure and set the numbers they give. I know the bilstein kit can be used on M3/M4 as well so maybe it's averages. I've learned to trust people that have the product installed and get feedback from them.

If you looking for a 10mm drop, that shouldn't be a problem at all. Just make sure to measure before the install.
Attached Images