BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance (Wash/Wax/Detailing/Exterior Restoration & Repairs) > Paint protection on M2C or not?

11-29-2018, 05:26 PM   #45
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Is PPF worth it for door dings? That is the bane of my automotive existence right now. People just have no regard when opening doors these days.

Obviously, it won't stop the dent, but maybe it'll save the paint and can just do paintless dent repair.
Appreciate 0
      11-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #46
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bimmers & Porsches

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post
Is PPF worth it for door dings? That is the bane of my automotive existence right now. People just have no regard when opening doors these days.

Obviously, it won't stop the dent, but maybe it'll save the paint and can just do paintless dent repair.
It'll stop small dings.

Yes, you are correct on both points:

It may very well save the paint.

Plenty of people have no regard when open doors or much of anything.
chris7197273.00
      11-29-2018, 05:30 PM   #47
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris719 View Post

It can be more difficult to do the dent repair if PPF but they can still do the repair, so says my ding guy....
Appreciate 1
chris7197273.00
      11-29-2018, 11:27 PM   #48
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Guys,

How long does it usually take to install Xpel or PPF on only the front of the car?

I'm hoping it can be done within a day.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      11-30-2018, 05:56 AM   #49
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckybadger View Post
Guys,

How long does it usually take to install Xpel or PPF on only the front of the car?

Usually one day.
      11-30-2018, 01:37 PM   #50
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Quote:
Guys,

Usually one day.
Thanks!
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 05:22 PM   #51
fmandel
Rep
Drives: Ford GT350R

PPF for Track Use

What are the most essential parts of the car to have coverage on? I will track the car often but dont want to spend $6k to do the entire car. I assume there are certain areas that are most likely to be chipped.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      12-01-2018, 11:58 PM   #52
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmandel View Post
What are the most essential parts of the car to have coverage on? I will track the car often but dont want to spend $6k to do the entire car. I assume there are certain areas that are most likely to be chipped.

Thanks!
front bumper, full front fender, full hood, A pillars, mirrors, rocker panels, behind rear wheels, maybe front of roof line, maybe replace rear fender OEM piece with a large piece that goes from door edge to edge of fender and up to the horizontal body line above it.

other popular options door cups, top of rear bumper luggage area, and just cover the edge of the doors in case you swing your door edge into something. these are wear and tear not stone chip options.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 12:04 AM   #53
aerokubectl
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C

What are your thoughts on 3M Scotchguard vs Expel? I was quoted 2500 for full front with rear fenders fully covered and window tint on back windows + rear glass with 3Ms Scotchguard
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 09:51 AM   #54
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by oshalygin View Post
What are your thoughts on 3M Scotchguard vs Expel? I was quoted 2500 for full front with rear fenders fully covered and window tint on back windows + rear glass with 3Ms Scotchguard
Scotchgard's 3M Pro Film is the apparent go to if choosing 3M PPF. I have heard great things about this film; excellent clarity, minimal orange peel, good comparable thickness to its competitors. This is their latest version. That said, I have no personal experience with it. Some detailers say they love it, others not so much. The majority seem to shy away from it.

It is kind of ironic 3M has fought to gain control again. They were the first to the PPF scene dating at least back to the early 2000s. Their film was initially developed for helicopter blades against pitting. The film was only available is certain dimensions and had to be cut by hand on the car. One example is the Porsche hood which could not be completely covered with one piece. My 2008 turbo and 2010 GT3 had the typical uncovered small small pie piece at each corner of the hood nearest the windshield. The film offered superb protection but had some orange peel.

Xpel is also a great product and all I currently allow on my cars. That does not mean Xpel is superior to Scotchgard Pro Series. I am just not ready to commit until I hear more from actual clients.

Install costs should be similar whether choosing Xpel or 3M. Choose the installer not the film.

Last edited by devo; 12-02-2018 at 10:08 AM..
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 11:50 AM   #55
Downunder99
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 | LBB | MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Anyone here planning to add clear bra (paint protection) on their M2C?

I'm thinking to do it but not sure if it is worth it or if it will lead to other issues that I'm unaware of.

Thanks!
Did the full front, doors, A-Frame, rear panels, plus factory rear fender piece on top. Costly, but saves you from stone chips! No downsides, have had ceramic coating applied on top.
Had it crusted in salt during last week's winter storm in Chicago. Drove it through the heavy rain yesterday and it looks almost like freshly washed! I did all this just because of living in Chicagoland, with lots of road debries and lots(!) of salt in winter.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2018, 08:53 PM   #56
akkando
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Scotchgard's 3M Pro Film is the apparent go to if choosing 3M PPF. I have heard great things about this film; excellent clarity, minimal orange peel, good comparable thickness to its competitors. This is their latest version. That said, I have no personal experience with it. Some detailers say they love it, others not so much. The majority seem to shy away from it.

It is kind of ironic 3M has fought to gain control again. They were the first to the PPF scene dating at least back to the early 2000s. Their film was initially developed for helicopter blades against pitting. The film was only available is certain dimensions and had to be cut by hand on the car. One example is the Porsche hood which could not be completely covered with one piece. My 2008 turbo and 2010 GT3 had the typical uncovered small small pie piece at each corner of the hood nearest the windshield. The film offered superb protection but had some orange peel.

Xpel is also a great product and all I currently allow on my cars. That does not mean Xpel is superior to Scotchgard Pro Series. I am just not ready to commit until I hear more from actual clients.

Install costs should be similar whether choosing Xpel or 3M. Choose the installer not the film.
Seems like the new suntek ultra is the new hot product. I'm not an expert in the differences though.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2018, 12:43 AM   #57
fmandel
Rep
Drives: Ford GT350R

PPF Installer in Los Angeles Area

Can anyone recommend a good PPF installer in Los Angeles?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 01:13 PM   #58
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Have any of you been offered to have the BMW dealer install PPF on your vehicle? Check out this offer from my sales rep after I inquired if they have any nearby PPF installers that he would recommend for xpel ultimate:

Quote:
Hi Brandon,

We will be able to do it in our Center for $2,995+tax.
It covers the front hood, front bumpers the remaining front area, 2 mirrors, edge guards, front head lights, front rocker panels, and rear bumper applique.
The reason why I inquired of the dealer about this is because I'm driving about 80 miles to pick up the car, and I wanted to see if I could have it done before I drive back.

1) Does this price seem reasonable for the coverage offered?
2) Should I trust BMW with this service?
3) Any idea what product they are using? I've asked him but haven't heard back just yet.
      12-05-2018, 01:41 PM   #59
pz619
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87 M2C 6MT, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bplewis24 View Post
Have any of you been offered to have the BMW dealer install PPF on your vehicle? Check out this offer from my sales rep after I inquired if they have any nearby PPF installers that he would recommend for xpel ultimate:

Quote:
Hi Brandon,

It covers the front hood, front bumpers the remaining front area, 2 mirrors, edge guards, front head lights, front rocker panels, and rear bumper applique.
The reason why I inquired of the dealer about this is because I'm driving about 80 miles to pick up the car, and I wanted to see if I could have it done before I drive back.

3) Any idea what product they are using? I've asked him but haven't heard back just yet.
Price seems really high compared to other installers.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:00 PM   #60
buckybadger
BMW forever!
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Quote:
Hi Brandon,

That's high.
2009 BMW 328i
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:16 PM   #61
obazavil
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, SO, 6MT

Quote:
Quote:

Quote:
Hi Brandon,

That's high.
BMW uses XPEL ultimate plus. They offered it to me, but full front was 2200.

IMHO just go with a 3rd party installer, will be cheaper
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:28 PM   #62
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by fmandel View Post

Thanks!
Do the front end and area in front of the rear wheels as well as the full plastic sideskirt, those will get beat to hell without PPF.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 03:41 PM   #63
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Anyone knows what's "Load sill paint protection." ?

It's factory option or port option but I can't find any info on my Google search..
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      12-05-2018, 04:10 PM   #64
devo
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
Anyone knows what's "Load sill paint protection." ?

It's factory option or port option but I can't find any info on my Google search..
Top of the rear bumper beneath the deck lid? Idk...

That or door sills I suppose.
      12-05-2018, 05:09 PM   #65
bplewis24
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 LBB M2 Comp; Tesla Model3

Quote:
Originally Posted by obazavil View Post
BMW uses XPEL ultimate plus. They offered it to me, but full front was 2200.

IMHO just go with a 3rd party installer, will be cheaper
They got back to me and said they use a 3M product. I don't think they offer full protection anyway, so I believe i'll go with a 3rd party installer. Anyone know of good installers in the Concord, CA area?
      12-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #66
obazavil
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C, SO, 6MT

Wow ... interesting each dealer uses something different...
Appreciate 0