BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Studless vs performance winter on tire rack?

11-01-2018, 06:40 AM   #1
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Studless vs performance winter on tire rack?

Hey guys. Just bought my M2! Coming from an xdrive m235i. Rep said I should be good in snow(live in NJ) with winter setup
On tires. Been reading up online now about winter snow tires as the sales
Advisor said with stock tires I'm not going anywhere but with snow winter tires the car is very good. Where I live snow sucks and there are some hills I need to worry about and getting to work and using my car daily is a priority in the winter over performance driving. I'm using tire rack bc they can ship free to my house and looks to be cheaper than bmw winter package. I'm looking at the 18" option.

245-40/18 front and 265-40/18 in rear. This size should clear stock brakes correct?

I'm seeing though two options for winter tire and my focus is being able to drive in the snow. I see studless ice and snow, and performance winter/snow. I'm assuming the studless are better for traction but wasn't sure since our cars are performance cars if I'm forced to go with a performance winter tire and didn't want to cause any damage to my car due to my poor tire choice.

Which are best option? I see about 5 different brand choices for studless and and 6 for performance on tire rack.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2018, 02:12 AM   #2
chris719
Major General
Rep
Drives: '08 M Roadster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryanm235i View Post
Hey guys. Just bought my M2! Coming from an xdrive m235i. Rep said I should be good in snow(live in NJ) with winter setup
On tires. Been reading up online now about winter snow tires as the sales
Advisor said with stock tires I'm not going anywhere but with snow winter tires the car is very good. Where I live snow sucks and there are some hills I need to worry about and getting to work and using my car daily is a priority in the winter over performance driving. I'm using tire rack bc they can ship free to my house and looks to be cheaper than bmw winter package. I'm looking at the 18" option.

245-40/18 front and 265-40/18 in rear. This size should clear stock brakes correct?

I'm seeing though two options for winter tire and my focus is being able to drive in the snow. I see studless ice and snow, and performance winter/snow. I'm assuming the studless are better for traction but wasn't sure since our cars are performance cars if I'm forced to go with a performance winter tire and didn't want to cause any damage to my car due to my poor tire choice.

Which are best option? I see about 5 different brand choices for studless and and 6 for performance on tire rack.
You probably want to go with a square setup in the snow. Tire rack recommends 245/40/18 all around, it's not quite a match for the rear OE diameter but it's close enough to not cause problems. Not all 18" wheels clear the brakes, so you'll have to check.

Anyway, if you want to be able to get around no matter what weather comes, then you want the studless Michelin Xi3 or Bridgestone WS80. If you can stay home when it is truly bad outside, then get the Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4. Those are the best tires in each category.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2018, 07:38 AM   #3
BMWTurbo
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW

Thanks! I'm looking at the michellin ice and apex ec7 31's. Hoping these fit. Apex has been helping me pick a rim that fits
Appreciate 0