BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip > Stock Seatbelt Tension Trick

02-29-2020, 12:07 PM   #1
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Stock Seatbelt Tension Trick

I heard of this trick recently where you move your seat back all the way, then pull on the belt hard to get it to lock, then move your seat up into the normal driving position. Because the belt is locked, you can put extra tension on the seat belt by moving the seat forward, which straps you in tighter.

Has anyone tried this? And downside to doing this or safety concerns? I just did it while parked and it does work to hold me in place tightly. Haven't driven like that yet, because I just remembered to try it as I got home.
Appreciate 2
      02-29-2020, 04:03 PM   #2
Zoomzoommo
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C

I've been doing this for years during track weekends. Never bother for street driving though.
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2020, 06:35 PM   #3
cncmastr
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46 ZCP, F85, E70, G07

Garage List
2018 X5 M  [0.00]
2020 M2 CS  [0.00]
2005 BMW X5 4.8is  [0.00]
2006 BMW M3  [0.00]
Yup! Good ol tribal knowledge! Good on you for bringing this up for new comers though!
      03-02-2020, 03:59 PM   #4
Noel911
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 & 2019 Golf R (Daily)

You can actually make a second memory setting for the seat (a pre-tension setting), then after the belt locks hit the other memory button and it's the same belt tightness and position every time.
      03-03-2020, 07:50 AM   #5
mcvaughan
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 Competition

Submarining is a danger in an impact. Admittedly I've used this at the track in the past. Also the neck could be at risk, unless using a HANS device.
      03-10-2020, 10:34 AM   #6
K-Fab
Dirt Junkie
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I heard of this trick recently where you move your seat back all the way, then pull on the belt hard to get it to lock, then move your seat up into the normal driving position. Because the belt is locked, you can put extra tension on the seat belt by moving the seat forward, which straps you in tighter.

Has anyone tried this? And downside to doing this or safety concerns? I just did it while parked and it does work to hold me in place tightly. Haven't driven like that yet, because I just remembered to try it as I got home.
I've been using this trick pretty much as long as I've been tracking. Makes a huge difference being held in and not hanging onto the steering wheel for support.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'WOW-What a Ride!'" - Anonymous
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 06:55 PM   #7
GasBurnlife(landapanda)
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by K-Fab View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post

I've been using this trick pretty much as long as I've been tracking. Makes a huge difference being held in and not hanging onto the steering wheel for support.
+1. I usually have to keep scooting the seat forward throughout the session to keep the right amount of tension in place.
Appreciate 0