BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > Time frame for M2C order

02-13-2021, 09:01 AM   #1
Billybutcher
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta St

Time frame for M2C order

I ordered an M2C a month ago. Asked dealer for a vin or production number. He says there isn’t one, but it’s in que. Thoughts? I was told 12-14 weeks initially, think this is inline
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 09:50 AM   #2
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3M40i 2019 X5 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billybutcher View Post
I ordered an M2C a month ago. Asked dealer for a vin or production number. He says there isn’t one, but it’s in que. Thoughts? I was told 12-14 weeks initially, think this is inline
Does the dealer have an allocation?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 10:51 AM   #3
Dave H in NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
I put a deposit on my dealer's next allocation in early November. They finally received an allocation towards the end of January and I received a production number at that point. The vehicle entered the "Production Begins" phase in the first week of February so I have a VIN number now. I expect all of the main assembly to occur next week and then just have to be patient for transport. I think I can reasonably expect to have it by mid April, which will be just in time for my birthday!

This is my first BMW, never mind an M car so I am very excited. To say I haven't bought myself a car in a while is an understatement. I'm currently driving a 2000 VW GTi VR6 that I bought brand new.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 11:51 AM   #4
Billybutcher
Rep
Drives: Ford Fiesta St

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave H in NC View Post
I put a deposit on my dealer's next allocation in early November. They finally received an allocation towards the end of January and I received a production number at that point. The vehicle entered the "Production Begins" phase in the first week of February so I have a VIN number now. I expect all of the main assembly to occur next week and then just have to be patient for transport. I think I can reasonably expect to have it by mid April, which will be just in time for my birthday!

This is my first BMW, never mind an M car so I am very excited. To say I haven't bought myself a car in a while is an understatement. I'm currently driving a 2000 VW GTi VR6 that I bought brand new.
Thanks guys this helps.

Dave, my first M as well. I’ve had my share of front drive hatches and rear drive sports cars. More work to drive cars but more rewarding on the right day. I’ll find out about my allocation. Are there good roads down around Charlotte I was actually looking at spots around lake Norman?
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:11 PM   #5
Dave H in NC
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HS 6MT

Garage List
Quote:
Thanks guys this helps.

Dave, my first M as well. I’ve had my share of front drive hatches and rear drive sports cars. More work to drive cars but more rewarding on the right day. I’ll find out about my allocation. Are there good roads down around Charlotte I was actually looking at spots around lake Norman?
I hear you, I've never owned anything but manual transmissions and two doors. My VW is the only car that I have ever owned that had power locks and windows. Of course I really haven't owned all that many cars considering I'm 53. Everything is relative, this M2C is going to seem very high tech and fancy to me. It's also 3x more than I have ever spent on an automobile.

Within Charlotte itself roads are a nightmare at this point, very busy city and growing quickly so constantly under construction. There are still quite a few good b roads/farm roads as you get to the outskirts however. I live on the north side of Charlotte so I'm close to the Lake Norman area, my Dad lived there when he was still alive. Lake Norman is also a very busy area but there are some fun places to drive between Charlotte and there, just stay off of I-77.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 12:29 PM   #6
EtotheD
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C LBB

Seems like you might not have an allocation yet. Dealer here told me the same thing last year, that I was que. As time went by I kept my eye open in case my spec would show up in neighboring areas. Never ended up getting an allocation and found my car not too far away. I believe allocations come out in the beginning of the month but I would definitely check other dealerships. If something is in the early stages of being built they can change it as well. I would also make sure someone is not ahead of you in line at your dealer.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2021, 01:26 PM   #7
AWFTMFWIN
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 21 AW M2C, Roush 440A

Quote:
I placed my order on 31 December and was told that the car would go into production at the earliest week 13 of 2021. My dealer then contacted me on January 12th and told me that my car would go into production in week 5.

The car is scheduled to arrive at the dealership late this week.

Keep in mind that I am in Germany, and I placed the order through a US Military dealership here.

Also, I asked why the car was being produced so much earlier than originally expected and while he said he wasn't exactly sure, the dealer said that he thinks it's due to people not buying many cars in with the current COVID situation.

Hope this helps.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 02:51 PM   #8
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
Originally Posted by AWFTMFWIN View Post
I placed my order on 31 December and was told that the car would go into production at the earliest week 13 of 2021. My dealer then contacted me on January 12th and told me that my car would go into production in week 5.

The car is scheduled to arrive at the dealership late this week.

Keep in mind that I am in Germany, and I placed the order through a US Military dealership here.

Also, I asked why the car was being produced so much earlier than originally expected and while he said he wasn't exactly sure, the dealer said that he thinks it's due to people not buying many cars in with the current COVID situation.

Hope this helps.
Sounds like you dealer had a week 13 allocation and they traded up for a week 5 allocation. Or they had another week 5 allocation that the buyer backed out of and your order moved up to their earlier allocation.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2021, 03:01 PM   #9
SEAT TIME RULES
Major
Rep
Drives: 20 BMW M2C 17 Mazda MX-5 RF

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [5.00]
Quote:
I work at a dealer In NH.

If your dealer hasn't given you a production # then the odds are they haven't received an allocation unit.

Its happened to me on the M2C. I had to inform 2 clients that they were in limbo. I lost one to a used 2018, and the other is shopping other stores while keeping his deposit with me.

If this is the case I'd confirm this with your CA ASAP. The clock is running and I don't think there will be many more units allocated between now and June. You could leave the deposit with them and then try to snag a unit from another store. Just let them know what your doing...

Good luck!
HAZMAT
My 2020M2C Build: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1696726
Appreciate 1
fflins0.00
      02-15-2021, 07:24 AM   #10
richard in NC
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 Z4 35i

Quote:
Thanks guys this helps.

There are some good roads in the Charlotte area, but so many have neighborhoods and traffic popping up all over. That includes the Mooresville/Lake Norman area. The best are probably southeast of I-485 or northwest towards the mountains.
Even better, Charlotte is only 2 hours away from all the mountain roads toward the Blue Ridge Parkway.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2021, 09:30 AM   #11
mwh2009
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2C

OP - this was my exact situation as well. Placed an order with local dealer and they never got an allocation - after 2 mos. I kept my deposit with them until I found another dealer that had a real car on the way.

Then I put a deposit down on the real car before canceling the deposit on the original imaginary car.

My car is now on a slow boat to the US. I track its progress daily and can't wait until it gets here to do the PCD delivery in SC!
No longer with me: 2018 Golf R, 2017 F80 M3, 2016 F30 340i xDrive
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2021, 11:09 PM   #12
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2006 M Roadster

Can anyone shed light on possible discounts for an M2 Competition? My nephew is planning to order one and asked me what kind of number he may be able to negotiate. He plans to order one as he wants a very minimally optioned car (SO with Executive package). Hard to find on a lot.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2021, 06:54 AM   #13
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chickdr View Post
Can anyone shed light on possible discounts for an M2 Competition? My nephew is planning to order one and asked me what kind of number he may be able to negotiate. He plans to order one as he wants a very minimally optioned car (SO with Executive package). Hard to find on a lot.
I think discounts will be minimal as we approach the final allocations.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:49 AM   #14
phriz
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
I just ordered an M2C with executive package and some MP carbon fiber bits. Dealer took $1000 off MSRP, and I got locked in to a 1.9% APR which is super nice. I honestly wasn't expecting any special treatment considering that it's an M model and a special order. Additionally, I'm terrible at negotiating prices with dealers. But overall the experience with my local dealer has been wonderful. Everyone's been nice and helpful.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 08:59 AM   #15
ADDONE
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by phriz View Post
Quote:
I just ordered an M2C with executive package and some MP carbon fiber bits. Dealer took $1000 off MSRP, and I got locked in to a 1.9% APR which is super nice. I honestly wasn't expecting any special treatment considering that it's an M model and a special order. Additionally, I'm terrible at negotiating prices with dealers. But overall the experience with my local dealer has been wonderful. Everyone's been nice and helpful.
I thought current BMWFS rate was 0.9%
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:53 AM   #16
phriz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It is, but unfortunately it didn't apply to the M2C
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2021, 09:57 AM   #17
phriz
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ADDONE View Post
Quote:
Quote:
It is, but unfortunately it didn't apply to the M2C
Oh wait, I stand corrected. Just checked the website and The new rate is 0.9%. Dealer told me if the interest rates dropped between order and delivery he'd lock me in on the lower rate. I'm glad you mentioned this!
Appreciate 1
ADDONE230.00
      02-25-2021, 05:25 PM   #18
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Oh wait, I stand corrected. Just checked the website and The new rate is 0.9%. Dealer told me if the interest rates dropped between order and delivery he'd lock me in on the lower rate. I'm glad you mentioned this!
My nephew placed an order for one on Tuesday with the executive package only. They did not give any discount and said they could not lock in the 0.9% interest rate as since the car is special order they have no idea what the rates will be at the time of delivery so they couldn't promise 0.9%.

Interesting to me is it seems folks were getting up to 10% off on 2020 M2C's, but now there are no discounts. You would think discounts go up as a car gets older, but then again I got a smoking lease deal on a 2006 S2K and when my lease was up in 2009 and I wanted to get another one, they couldn't get me a deal at all on a car which was unchanged from the one I got in 2006....
Appreciate 0
      02-25-2021, 10:15 PM   #19
dmcM2C
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My nephew placed an order for one on Tuesday with the executive package only. They did not give any discount and said they could not lock in the 0.9% interest rate as since the car is special order they have no idea what the rates will be at the time of delivery so they couldn't promise 0.9%.

Interesting to me is it seems folks were getting up to 10% off on 2020 M2C's, but now there are no discounts. You would think discounts go up as a car gets older, but then again I got a smoking lease deal on a 2006 S2K and when my lease was up in 2009 and I wanted to get another one, they couldn't get me a deal at all on a car which was unchanged from the one I got in 2006....
Seems he was about a month off on being able to get a discount. Production becoming limited and coming to an end, combined with a lot of people trying to get them before production ends seems to have cut down on deals.
Appreciate 0
      02-26-2021, 06:02 PM   #20
keylime503
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C 6MT, Audi A4 Avant

Quote:
They did not give any discount and said they could not lock in the 0.9% interest rate as since the car is special order they have no idea what the rates will be at the time of delivery so they couldn't promise 0.9%.
This sounds like some dealer BS. The APR is the APR. It's listed right on BMWUSA's website every month and it clearly states the APR for a 2021 M2C is 0.9%. It has been this way since the beginning of February when the 2021 M2C finally dropped from 1.9% to 0.9% (MY2020 had been 0.9% for awhile).

You don't need them to promise you any specific APR. You just need them to honor a) the locked in APR from the time of application (60 days east coast, 90 days west coast), and b) that they won't make the deal contingent on a higher APR (with the dealer eating the profit). I usually just get them to say "the base APR for that month from BMWFS" and I've never had an issue.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2021, 09:55 AM   #21
chickdr
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

But here is the issue with that. There wouldn't be an issue if the car was on the lot as the 0.9% is available now. Who knows if they will be offering 0.9% when the car arrives in May or June. I understand them not being able to offer 0.9% on a car which doesn't even exist yet.
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2021, 08:44 PM   #22
brainf18
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 904 GTS, 2021 M2C

Quote:
I placed an order this past week...Dealer says it could be june or july before the car arrives. Chip shortage
Appreciate 0