BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust

07-17-2016, 11:02 AM   #67
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benzima View Post
Yes! Good assumption
So I see it this way - Driver Experience Setting + MPE Setting = sound you get. Unfortunately one MPE setting is Sport which is an overloaded term since the Driver Experience Setting can also be in its own "Sport". So for MPE I will call it MPE Sport ( street mode ).

Below is YMMV but it kind of gives you an idea.
  1. Comfort & MPE Sport ( street mode ) = characterful and quietest but still loud with burbles
  2. Sport & MPE Sport ( street mode ) = characterful and loud with burbles and pops
  3. Sport+ & MPE Sport ( street mode ) = characterful and loudest - with burbles/pops/bangs
  4. Comfort & MPE Track ( track mode ) = more raw and quietest but still loud with burbles
  5. Sport & MPE Track ( track mode ) = more raw and loud with burbles and pops
  6. Sport+ & MPE Track ( track mode ) = more raw and loudest - with burbles/pops/bangs

* for the burbles or pops or bangs - this is not scientific proof. This is just from memory and my current feeling as I write this. YMMV depending on the way you drive too! For example where you shift, how hard you let off etc...

I drive mainly in sport and toggle the MPE sport/track depending on how I feel. If others are in the car, I may go down to comfort mode and stay on MPE sport to reduce drone or volume.

Hope that helps!
Just confirmed my choice and made the wait even longer

Great review!
      07-17-2016, 03:04 PM   #68
TMP
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagull View Post
Kind of back to back. I really wished they had the same sequence and duration of revs and lift off. Also they should have done it in the same mode ( sport or sport+ ) and not different ones. It should effect the throttle response and a lift off and the sound.

That said, it seems like the stock exhaust is deeper sounding than the MPE in street mode.
Yeah agree, not quite a back to back. The stock one sounds better to me in this video, but that could be the way the video is shot and you can't hear the difference in volume!
      07-17-2016, 11:22 PM   #69
Seagull
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: F87 M2, E84 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMP View Post
Yeah agree, not quite a back to back. The stock one sounds better to me in this video, but that could be the way the video is shot and you can't hear the difference in volume!
BTW, I felt the same - the stock was better in the videos. I based "better" on it being a more deeper, fuller, thoatier sound.

But the truth is that now after actually listening it to it live, the stock is not better. I find the MPE just as deep and full, however, I feel that the raw notes have been pushed up more and some of the overall volume is greater.
      07-18-2016, 11:31 AM   #70
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB M2

I'm surprised so many people like the deeper tone. I would much rather have a great sounding high pitched exhaust (at the upper rev range). Feels/sounds more like a high revving Ferrari
Appreciate 1
NachoM67.00
      07-19-2016, 01:51 PM   #71
KGun
Buffalo Bills Fan
United_States
Rep
Drives: (2019 X2 M35i) (2022 Z4 M40)

Garage List
Question....

I just added the Exhaust and Carbon Fiber tips to my week 36 build. Here is my dealers price break down:

ZA4 - M Performance Exhaust - $2,985

Z6M - Carbon Fiber Exhaust Tips - $1,500

I think I'm being overcharged over here , can someone please confirm. Thanks
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:37 PM   #72
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 1m

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGun
I just added the Exhaust and Carbon Fiber tips to my week 36 build. Here is my dealers price break down:

I would say you're price is high.
In Canada,mine is $3500.00 with carbon tips on the build sheet and us Canadians know you guys would pay less than that.

The only thing I'm not aware of is are you buying this after you rec'd the car? If that's the case then it's probably accurate.

I've see it priced as high as $5000 if added after you receive your car and want to add it.

Greg
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 03:41 PM   #73
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGun

Here is Canadian price
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 04:14 PM   #74
element241
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGun View Post

The prices aren't "wrong" in the sense that the dealer artificially marked it up. However, that is the max list price for the exhaust and carbon fiber tips, and it's more than you have to pay. BMW of El Cajon (in San Diego) offers the M2 MPE for $2175 and BMW of Morristown offers the carbon fiber tips for $1050 on their eBay stores:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-Perfor...pXYYH~&vxp=mtr
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-Carbon-F...tUGEIZ&vxp=mtr

Given that you're in Philadelphia, if you want to get it all from Morristown, they offer the MPE for $2200, only $25 more than El Cajon. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-Perfor...ZXSF7w&vxp=mtr) The only extra thing that your dealer's price includes is installation. If you order the exhaust on your build, it'll be installed at the port facility for no additional cost. If you buy just the parts, you'll have to pay a local shop or dealer to do the installation (unless you DIY). Both Morristown and El Cajon offer free shipping, so that's not of any concern.

The M2 MPE isn't your typical exhaust installation because it requires some dismantling of the trunk lining to re-arrange some modules near the battery and run the wiring to support the Bluetooth control module. It can take 2 or maybe even 3 hours in total, especially if yours is the first M2 MPE installation by your shop/dealer, so you should take that cost into account. But even with the installation costs, you could save about $1000. You might also save an additional couple hundred bucks on sales tax if you buy from out-of-state and have it shipped to you (versus buying in-person at, say, Morristown). Technically, you're probably supposed to report it on your state tax return and pay it, but... If you include it on your build spec, you'll pay sales tax on the exhaust regardless because it'll be included in the purchase price of the car.

If you're worried about the eBay aspect of it, you can always call the respective dealership's parts department and I can't imagine that they wouldn't honor the eBay price. Even if you buy through eBay, the parts should come with dealership invoices (which you can confirm with the dealer before buying on eBay). However, if you wanted to buy from Morristown and have them do the installation, they most likely won't be able to offer you free or discounted installation in lieu of the free shipping because the free shipping is offered by the parts department whereas the installation is handled by the service department, which is separate.

Hope that helps.
2015 F80 M3 - MG/SO - DCT - Exec Pkg - EDC (sold)
2014 F22 M235i - AW/Black - 6MT - Premium Pkg - Tech Pkg (sold)

Last edited by element241; 07-19-2016 at 04:21 PM..
Appreciate 2
      07-19-2016, 04:51 PM   #75
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by element241
Quote:

The prices aren't "wrong" in the sense that the dealer artificially marked it up. However, that is the max list price for the exhaust and carbon fiber tips, and it's more than you have to pay. BMW of El Cajon (in San Diego) offers the M2 MPE for $2175 and BMW of Morristown offers the carbon fiber tips for $1050 on their eBay stores:

Given that you're in Philadelphia, if you want to get it all from Morristown, they offer the MPE for $2200, only $25 more than El Cajon. (http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M-Perfor...ZXSF7w&vxp=mtr) The only extra thing that your dealer's price includes is installation. If you order the exhaust on your build, it'll be installed at the port facility for no additional cost. If you buy just the parts, you'll have to pay a local shop or dealer to do the installation (unless you DIY). Both Morristown and El Cajon offer free shipping, so that's not of any concern.

The M2 MPE isn't your typical exhaust installation because it requires some dismantling of the trunk lining to re-arrange some modules near the battery and run the wiring to support the Bluetooth control module. It can take 2 or maybe even 3 hours in total, especially if yours is the first M2 MPE installation by your shop/dealer, so you should take that cost into account. But even with the installation costs, you could save about $1000. You might also save an additional couple hundred bucks on sales tax if you buy from out-of-state and have it shipped to you (versus buying in-person at, say, Morristown). Technically, you're probably supposed to report it on your state tax return and pay it, but... If you include it on your build spec, you'll pay sales tax on the exhaust regardless because it'll be included in the purchase price of the car.

If you're worried about the eBay aspect of it, you can always call the respective dealership's parts department and I can't imagine that they wouldn't honor the eBay price. Even if you buy through eBay, the parts should come with dealership invoices (which you can confirm with the dealer before buying on eBay). However, if you wanted to buy from Morristown and have them do the installation, they most likely won't be able to offer you free or discounted installation in lieu of the free shipping because the free shipping is offered by the parts department whereas the installation is handled by the service department, which is separate.

Hope that helps.
That's what I figured as well.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 07:21 PM   #76
jtfields
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2, X2 M35i, X6,328i,230i

Garage List
Quote:

This is the same price my dealer is charging me. It is the MSRP of the MPE and tips so not over sticker but certainly not a bargain.
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2016, 08:46 PM   #77
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep

Quoting you for post-delivery install (with labor) or port-install?
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:11 AM   #78
KGun
Buffalo Bills Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by element241
Quote:

Hope that helps.
Thank you very much. I'll rethink my options.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:12 AM   #79
KGun
Buffalo Bills Fan
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew
Quoting you for post-delivery install (with labor) or port-install?
Port installed.
Appreciate 0
      07-20-2016, 07:32 PM   #80
LBBDrew
Lieutenant
Rep

I was just quoted the same price from my dealer. Did the price go up for FY17? I could have swore I was seeing much lower prices a couple months ago.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2016, 01:45 AM   #81
sarcastrix
Wallander
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBBDrew View Post
I was just quoted the same price from my dealer. Did the price go up for FY17? I could have swore I was seeing much lower prices a couple months ago.
I know here in Europe BMW AG increased the M-tax on performance parts around the same time the car was officially launched - by as much as 25% on the rear CF spoiler and other parts

It certainly pays to shop around and haggle on getting a good deal or wait for a group-buy.
      07-23-2016, 10:20 PM   #82
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

MPE keyfob started to malfunction. Just a quick flash and that's all, no matter what you try. Butterfly valve remains closed.

I replaced the battery but to no avail. No idea what happened.
      07-23-2016, 11:31 PM   #83
///Mē
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2 6MT

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis View Post
MPE keyfob started to malfunction. Just a quick flash and that's all, no matter what you try. Butterfly valve remains closed.

That sucks!!

Looks like you can buy the remote but it's not cheap.

http://www.bmwpartsworldwide.com/oe-bmw/18302445006
      07-24-2016, 01:25 AM   #84
gk09
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artemis

Is it not under warranty?
I heard it is for the whole duration
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 07:45 AM   #85
BMW_M2_BE
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Don't know if this is correct but there should also be a switch in the rear trunk on the module to open the value.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2016, 07:54 AM   #86
Benzima
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

Quote:

Curious to know what's the problem...
      07-24-2016, 11:28 AM   #87
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_M2_BE View Post
Don't know if this is correct but there should also be a switch in the rear trunk on the module to open the value.
Thanks.

Solved. The MPE module switch inside the boot was turned off (probably touched unknowingly when putting something in the cavity next to it). Hence, the MPE remote could no longer make contact with the MPE module inside the boot.

So watch out when putting stuff near the MPE module switch.

Name:  MPE_Module_Switch.jpg
Views: 2795
Size:  179.5 KB

Last edited by Artemis; 07-24-2016 at 09:44 PM.. Reason: Added picture of the MPE module switch
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2016, 12:07 PM   #88
BMW_M2_BE
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

Quote:
Thanks.

Solved. The MPE module switch inside the boot was turned off (probably touched unknowingly when putting something in the cavity next to it). Hence, the MPE remote could no longer make contact with the MPE module inside the boot.

So watch out when putting stuff near the MPE module switch.
Glad to hear the problem is solved. Back to making noise again
Appreciate 0