BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Story behind Awron and where it is going...

04-04-2020, 06:27 PM   #1
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 CSL Turbomeister

Garage List
Story behind Awron and where it is going...

For your information guys, I have been connected to Awron now for about four years or so, maybe even longer and I have seen the company gone wrong simply because it forgot to innovate the display it had... Other parties arrived on the market as well.

Two parties internally split up and now there is only one "Awron" left. The "Awron" we know of the displays is no longer there and won't make any new displays. It is over and gone. If you want to have a display, try to find one at a dealer somewhere online or in a specific country. It will be the last one of its kind.

MR

Last edited by MR.; 05-22-2020 at 11:10 AM..
Appreciate 3
      04-15-2020, 02:59 AM   #2
m3smurf
Rep
Drives: LBB F87

subscribed! hope they can come up with something cool
Appreciate 1
      05-19-2020, 12:53 AM   #3
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 LBB M2, 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
this is too bad, as I have one and really like it. The competitors are OK, but I really like that AWRON is controlled by buttons instead of a damned touchscreen.

is there any plan to provide future updates or support for existing users? Or are we just totally screwed? (I don't know what updates I would hope to see, but...)
I'm also a fan of aural pleasure.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2020, 04:51 PM   #4
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZPrime View Post
this is too bad, as I have one and really like it. The competitors are OK, but I really like that AWRON is controlled by buttons instead of a damned touchscreen.

is there any plan to provide future updates or support for existing users? Or are we just totally screwed? (I don't know what updates I would hope to see, but...)
You are completely screwed. Nothing new is coming. The company is dead and the new Awron is not offering any service on the display.

Be aware that if you move it to another car you are also screwed, because the display will show the wrong figures if you move it to another car. It needs a reset done via the USB cable and a PC.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2020, 01:37 AM   #5
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MR. View Post
You are completely screwed. Nothing new is coming. The company is dead and the new Awron is not offering any service on the display.

Be aware that if you move it to another car you are also screwed, because the display will show the wrong figures if you move it to another car. It needs a reset done via the USB cable and a PC.

MR
By "move it to another car" do you mean some other model?
Thankfully not planning on doing that. (I'm happy with my N55)
I don't see why it wouldn't work fine with a 1:1 swap into another N55 car though... it's just reading data from CAN / OBD2, no? And I'm fairly sure there's a way to reset it to default from within the car as well.

I have a USB cable plugged into it, but I don't know if I saved a copy of their reprogramming software anywhere (I believe they did release something to update firmware at one point...)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 04:23 AM   #6
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
By "move it to another car" do you mean some other model?
Thankfully not planning on doing that. (I'm happy with my N55)
I don't see why it wouldn't work fine with a 1:1 swap into another N55 car though... it's just reading data from CAN / OBD2, no? And I'm fairly sure there's a way to reset it to default from within the car as well.

I have a USB cable plugged into it, but I don't know if I saved a copy of their reprogramming software anywhere (I believe they did release something to update firmware at one point...)
There is a piece of code in the system of the display that reads the VIN of your car. As soon as you swap it and it reads a new VIN, the display starts to show the wrong information.

This was to urge customers to go back to their dealer to ask what is wrong and ask from them a fee to fix the issue. It would also keep people from selling the display on to someone else.

The reset by default is not sufficient. I have seen displays being reset a few times and I can tell you the display was telling rubbish before the proper hard reset was done and the right kind of info after.

You need a specific tool for this, which they never released. Software update doesn't work.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2020, 12:16 PM   #7
tom @ eas
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
There is a piece of code in the system of the display that reads the VIN of your car. As soon as you swap it and it reads a new VIN, the display starts to show the wrong information.

This was to urge customers to go back to their dealer to ask what is wrong and ask from them a fee to fix the issue. It would also keep people from selling the display on to someone else.

The reset by default is not sufficient. I have seen displays being reset a few times and I can tell you the display was telling rubbish before the proper hard reset was done and the right kind of info after.

You need a specific tool for this, which they never released. Software update doesn't work.

MR
The Awron unit is married to the DME type, not the VIN itself. Meaning a M2 (N55) unit couldn't be used in a M2 Competition (S55), as its configured differently.

GET DAILY UPDATES ON OUR BLOG · FACEBOOK · YOUTUBE · FLICKR · INSTAGRAM
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 11:10 AM   #8
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
The Awron unit is married to the DME type, not the VIN itself. Meaning a M2 (N55) unit couldn't be used in a M2 Competition (S55), as its configured differently.
Awron told me something else at the time... Mine went from a M2C to a M2C and it was total bullshit on the display.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 03:35 PM   #9
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:

MR
That is an ugly business tactic and something I have never heard about the displays.

Why not be upfront with it? Plenty of tunes and tuning devices have well published reset fees and or "lives". It is not a foreign concept.

In my eyes this greatly reduces the value of a unit if you plan to sell it on. It also means a bunch of people now have "useless" displays they might not be able to sell with the car.
ZPrime611.50
      05-22-2020, 03:51 PM   #10
gphung
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 LBB - 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
Quote:

MR
That is an ugly business tactic and something I have never heard about the displays.

Why not be upfront with it? Plenty of tunes and tuning devices have well published reset fees and or "lives". It is not a foreign concept.

In my eyes this greatly reduces the value of a unit if you plan to sell it on. It also means a bunch of people now have "useless" displays they might not be able to sell with the car.
Yeah shady business practice IMO, to purposely reduce the value of a unit to nil once the OG consumer no longer wants them just to get more sales without mentioning this anywhere.

I really hope this "new" AWRON is fully transparent about these types of anti-features, or ditch them altogether. I know they won't be getting my money otherwise.
Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 04:09 PM   #11
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post

Earlier Awron units didn't do this - the displays have always been compatible in both M and non-M models in the past. The locking of devices to a DME type it was introduced later down the line (we were their US distributor) forcing M users being charged a premium (+$100EU) compared to non-M models. Difference was only a change in software.

A lot of key people were let go, and likely went during the final months understaffed - since emails were unanswered for weeks.

Fantastic product, but horrible business model. Hopefully we can see a decent product down the road again soon.

Appreciate 0
      05-22-2020, 06:26 PM   #12
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom @ eas View Post
Earlier Awron units didn't do this - the displays have always been compatible in both M and non-M models in the past. The locking of devices to a DME type it was introduced later down the line (we were their US distributor) forcing M users being charged a premium (+$100EU) compared to non-M models. Difference was only a change in software.

A lot of key people were let go, and likely went during the final months understaffed - since emails were unanswered for weeks.

Fantastic product, but horrible business model. Hopefully we can see a decent product down the road again soon.
I was in the office to talk to the people on site when you didn't got emails anymore. Munich is not far away from me. With investors we tried to save it, but it was impossible to make anything work. It is pretty much dead and won't come back. The original office is empty. The stuff is all gone.

The new Awron Automotive isn't going anywhere either. One-man show that is unable to fulfill promises and simply doesn't want to work with distributors and importers anymore. I can show you my conversation I had that left me and my partners stunted. I have given up on the OPF-Delete solution and any future products from that location.

Only solution is AK Motion right now, but for now I will keep my Awron display that is slowly dying. The display is showing the usual signs of the spots on it.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-26-2020, 04:08 AM   #13
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:

MR
Oh jebus. That is exceedingly lame to lock down a device like this without making it clear anywhere on the website that they do this. Thankfully I'm happy with mine and see no need to sell it, but now I know that when/if something goes wrong or I move to a competitor device, I can just throw this thing in the trash (yay, generating more e-waste...)

tom @ eas do you still have any of the software to update the units? I purchased mine direct from AWRON in March 2018... I don't know the current software build on it (will check later today), but wanted to make sure mine was on the latest release I can find.
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 05:21 AM   #14
MR.
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Oh jebus. That is exceedingly lame to lock down a device like this without making it clear anywhere on the website that they do this. Thankfully I'm happy with mine and see no need to sell it, but now I know that when/if something goes wrong or I move to a competitor device, I can just throw this thing in the trash (yay, generating more e-waste...)

tom @ eas do you still have any of the software to update the units? I purchased mine direct from AWRON in March 2018... I don't know the current software build on it (will check later today), but wanted to make sure mine was on the latest release I can find.
v5.28 is what I have I think... I got the latest, they said.

MR
Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 01:35 PM   #15
tom @ eas
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW i3s  [0.00]
2010 BMW M3  [6.50]
2015 BMW M4  [5.25]
Quote:

No, software updates were all performed by Awron. Any batch files we were provided were for the specific Awron serial.

Appreciate 0
      05-27-2020, 09:56 PM   #16
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
v5.28 is what I have I think... I got the latest, they said.

MR
Mine has a "FWR" of D.50 and an "APL" of 5.50 (I finally remembered to check it today)

My serial # is 3784, for whatever that's worth.
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2022, 07:30 PM   #17
dmanb2b
Banned
Rep
Drives: G07, F97, F30, E90, E46, E30

Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm guessing I may be experiencing what MR is mentioning above. I purchased at very lightly used unit that was working on a 2018 440i, now installed on my 2016 340i and I can tell that voltage is off, and there is no readout for EGT, AFR, Boost..

I have wired it every which way I can think of and no change. Tested can bus right at the unit plug by vent...brown to green =12v, Brown to red 2.3v and brown to red /blue 2.6v. (normal canbus) I'm not getting any voltage reading from the ETH wire, but afaik that only sends a wake-up signal, which the unit does power on and off as one would expect.

Houck1224 and I have been waiting for days for a response from AWRON...crickets. Another member gave me the update that was sent to them from the company, but the config button is greyed out when connected to my device, although it is reading serial #, etc, so the USB connection is good as well, just can't resuscitate the damn thing. Embarrassing that they would start another company with the same name.

ECU id F2428
sn:0000002866
fwr:d.50
APL: 4.80
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2022, 09:15 PM   #18
ZPrime
I INDIC8
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmanb2b View Post
Sorry to bump an old thread, but I'm guessing I may be experiencing what MR is mentioning above. I purchased at very lightly used unit that was working on a 2018 440i, now installed on my 2016 340i and I can tell that voltage is off, and there is no readout for EGT, AFR, Boost..

I have wired it every which way I can think of and no change. Tested can bus right at the unit plug by vent...brown to green =12v, Brown to red 2.3v and brown to red /blue 2.6v. (normal canbus) I'm not getting any voltage reading from the ETH wire, but afaik that only sends a wake-up signal, which the unit does power on and off as one would expect.

Houck1224 and I have been waiting for days for a response from AWRON...crickets. Another member gave me the update that was sent to them from the company, but the config button is greyed out when connected to my device, although it is reading serial #, etc, so the USB connection is good as well, just can't resuscitate the damn thing. Embarrassing that they would start another company with the same name.

ECU id F2428
sn:0000002866
fwr:d.50
APL: 4.80
Per the rest of this thread, I'm pretty sure that you're absolutely boned, unless someone at eAs can step in and help somehow.

My Awron is starting to develop dead pixels, so I imagine it is going to slowly continue to degrade... Guess that is a "feature" to make it feel like the old E46 info displays and their failing pixels, make people familiar with BMW's history feel "at home?"

I had been watching the AK Motion Datadisplay as a possible alternative, but I dislike that it's a touchscreen, and last I saw, they were in the middle of revising the thing (or possibly couldn't get parts for it) so they weren't available now...

One company that I can vouch for is P3Cars - their vent gauge isn't nearly as sophisticated as AK Motion or Awron, but it's readily available, a US-based company, and it will display a chunk of the same vital data (boost, coolant, exhaust temp, several other things)... and it does it without completely disabling a vent, as well (it takes up the top half, but the bottom chunk of the vent still retains full functionality).
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 03:31 AM   #19
triplecaution
Enlisted Member
Australia
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

I'll keep this one rolling along since someone raised it from the dead unlike Awron.

Has anyone tried the CanChecked solution? https://www.canchecked.de/bmw-data-d...erie-m2-m3-m4/
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2022, 05:43 AM   #20
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplecaution View Post
I'll keep this one rolling along since someone raised it from the dead unlike Awron.

Has anyone tried the CanChecked solution? https://www.canchecked.de/bmw-data-d...erie-m2-m3-m4/

I have this in installed in my car Will post photos in a few
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 2
      05-29-2022, 08:37 AM   #21
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeLife View Post
I have this in installed in my car Will post photos in a few
would love to see it. Also where did you buy it? it looks really good.

I was going to buy a p-3 gauge but I would much rather have more than just 1 pice of data on the screen
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2022, 08:39 AM   #22
CoffeeLife
Coffee Every Day
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Garage List
2021 BMW M2C  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
would love to see it. Also where did you buy it? it looks really good.

I was going to buy a p-3 gauge but I would much rather have more than just 1 pice of data on the screen
Aww dang! I forgot I said I would post photos etc. Give me 30 mins and will update!
-Recaro Pole Position , 2kBody Half Cage, Pinnacle Motorsports Half Cage (On order), CAE Shifter
-Remus Race + BR EL Mid
Appreciate 0