BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > M2 Photos, Videos and Builds > BMW M2 Car and Driver Lightning Lap Review and Video

09-15-2016, 03:40 PM   #23
rjn
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yes. And when your car comes out of a corner and it's in the wrong gear, then a shift is needed , versus a car in the correct gear that doesn't need to shift.
I hear you. Really, I do. Certainly a possibility.

But, with ruler a flat torque curve, less likely than back in the day (e.g. remember above or below the S52 4500 vanos rpm?), and the DCT 7th cog is not likely in play at most tracks.

And it's still just talk and conjecture on my part. I'm not arguing. Really looking forward to finding out for real after delivery.

Peace
Appreciate 1
      09-15-2016, 04:17 PM   #24
M3 Adjuster
Banned
Albania
Rep
Drives: 1M, X1 M Sport, E46 325ic

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjn
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Adjuster View Post
Yes. And when your car comes out of a corner and it's in the wrong gear, then a shift is needed , versus a car in the correct gear that doesn't need to shift.
I hear you. Really, I do. Certainly a possibility.

But, with ruler a flat torque curve, less likely than back in the day (e.g. remember above or below the S52 4500 vanos rpm?), and the DCT 7th cog is not likely in play at most tracks.

And it's still just talk and conjecture on my part. I'm not arguing. Really looking forward to finding out for real after delivery.

Peace
I don't have the answer either, and I would love to see some back to back tests of DCT vs manual.

If you have seen of the comments about the M2 and the M235/240 and looked at the gearing of the two, it has already been shown that the top speed of the seven speed DCT M2 in fourth gear is about 8-10 mph lower than the six speed in the m235/240. The non m car is actually faster ...
Appreciate 1
rjn43.50
      09-15-2016, 04:48 PM   #25
tke743
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: LBB M2 Comp

LOL, even in the video you can't see the dials...
      09-15-2016, 10:27 PM   #26
MINI135i
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C and 2013 FR-S

Bill don't need no shuffle steer

https://youtu.be/qvYsMyumOI8

We are kinda picking on this journalist in good fun, but truly his lap speed, was probably more or less in line with what it should be as you make comparisons to other cars, E92 M3, M4, etc. in the past CD lighting laps.

So I must ask since it was stated that shuffle steer is being taught by track instructors...WHY? To what advantage? The only thing I can fathom is the instructors want them to be better at transitioning back to street driving after the track session

Last edited by MINI135i; 09-15-2016 at 11:58 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:26 AM   #27
M2 CSL
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: M2 Lightweight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI135i View Post

We are kinda picking on this journalist in good fun, but truly his lap speed, was probably more or less in line with what it should be as you make comparisons to other cars, E92 M3, M4, etc. in the past CD lighting laps.

So I must ask since it was stated that shuffle steer is being taught by track instructors...WHY? To what advantage? The only thing I can fathom is the instructors want them to be better at transitioning back to street driving after the track session
Yes, it's definitely what it, "should" be, however, certainly not what it could be.

"The M2 should be a few seconds behind the M4" - Bill Auberlen, the first day of the Lightning lap test.

"Got it" - C&D editors
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 11:11 AM   #28
ashburyn54
Captain
Rep
Drives: f87 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by paradoxical3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin_NL View Post
Not trying to be rude, but we are sitting in front of a PC/laptop/ iPad watching this video, and HE is driving the damn thing.

He is cautious and I understand...

On paper/internet we 'all' are faster than 'that guy'...

Cheers
Robin

It's not difficult to be faster than that guy, there are many of us on these forums that are.

Quote:
I've had the same experience on my M3 PSS as C&D. Keep the pressures down and they are very consistent. Anything over 36-37 hot and they'll get slippery. If you don't drop a couple psi from your street pressures you'll definitely be overheating them. I'm not the absolute fastest guy out there, but I'm very far from slow.
I will caveat this by saying I have not tracked on the M2 specific variant of the PSS, and I acknowledge there may be a compound difference. But the normal PSS tires will chunk and delaminate if driven past the intermediate level unless you alternate hot laps with a couple of cool down laps. They absolutely can't run 30min sessions driven by an advanced driver without falling off and getting greasy.
I can attest to that. Even with cold temps in the high 20's when they start creeping towards 37-38psi they change character on track. That's about every 4-5 laps once they are warm. You have to back off for some time then hit it agin. Although I will say the wear wasn't awful, the fronts of course wore more on the shoulders but we all know this car needs camber up front. I kinda gave up trying to get more speed through the slow stuff because they just scrub.

I'm sure with 265/275's up front this car is a different beast. Severely tire limited in the slow stuff if your trying to be smooth/not throttle steer with your instructor yelling at you.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 01:42 PM   #29
CosmosMpower
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: F87c, GT3, MK7 GTI

Quote:
Originally Posted by MINI135i View Post

I don't know any instructors who teach shuffle steer unless you HAVE to from a physical limitation or an extremely tight corner.
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 04:21 PM   #30
Racer20
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, 228i THP, E46 ZHP

Quote:
Quote:
Not trying to be rude, but we are sitting in front of a PC/laptop/ iPad watching this video, and HE is driving the damn thing.

Cheers
Robin

It's not difficult to be faster than that guy, there are many of us on these forums that are.

Quote:
I've had the same experience on my M3 PSS as C&D. Keep the pressures down and they are very consistent. Anything over 36-37 hot and they'll get slippery. If you don't drop a couple psi from your street pressures you'll definitely be overheating them. I'm not the absolute fastest guy out there, but I'm very far from slow.
I will caveat this by saying I have not tracked on the M2 specific variant of the PSS, and I acknowledge there may be a compound difference. But the normal PSS tires will chunk and delaminate if driven past the intermediate level unless you alternate hot laps with a couple of cool down laps. They absolutely can't run 30min sessions driven by an advanced driver without falling off and getting greasy.
I'll also add a caveat that the club I run with only does ~20 minutes sessions. I'm pretty sure the C&D guys are also not running continuously for 30 minutes.
      09-16-2016, 10:22 PM   #31
rich8566
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 + Z-4

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Wear - what wear?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashburyn54
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Robin

Quote:
I can attest to that. Even with cold temps in the high 20's when they start creeping towards 37-38psi they change character on track. That's about every 4-5 laps once they are warm. You have to back off for some time then hit it agin. Although I will say the wear wasn't awful, the fronts of course wore more on the shoulders but we all know this car needs camber up front. I kinda gave up trying to get more speed through the slow stuff because they just scrub.

I'm sure with 265/275's up front this car is a different beast. Severely tire limited in the slow stuff if your trying to be smooth/not throttle steer with your instructor yelling at you.
MPSS after a few hot laps at Pocono. While these tires stick well and have great feel, they do roll over and wear.
Attached Images

09-18-2016, 06:45 AM   #32
Bamaben
Major
Rep
Drives: 07 335i blk/blk/alum 6MT

Quote:
Who is this dude driving? Shuffle steering, late throttle application, etc? Hands not even in 9 and 3 position most of the time. I figured C&D would have had a racer drive the cars to get real lap times, this pretty much invalidates them all.
Terrible. Shuffle steering to just turn it 5 degrees? !

It takes a big man to cry. It takes an even bigger man to laugh at him-- Jack Handey

mods: blackout grill, finishing rods, badges, Blacklines.
Appreciate 0
      09-18-2016, 08:37 PM   #33
SGL
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine M2

Garage List
2016 M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20
Quote:
Quote:

Cheers
Robin

Quote:
I'll also add a caveat that the club I run with only does ~20 minutes sessions. I'm pretty sure the C&D guys are also not running continuously for 30 minutes.
The star spec super sports feel great if you can keep the psi around 34-35 psi, once they get above that they feel greasy, I didn't have any chunking on my tires until the left side of my front left tire delaminated at 145mph during the last 40 minute session of the day. Tire still stayed together and I was able to drive it home 120 miles. Very impressed with the tire.
Appreciate 0