BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Akrapovic Mid Pipe and Muffler M2 CS Sound at start up

08-17-2022, 12:12 PM   #45
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I really like the sound of the stock box. I think adding a single mid to it would be a nice addon. I couldn't pass up the Akra system for the price. My ear really likes the Ti sound. I like Inconel more, but no one makes one for our cars and I wouldnt spend the cash.

Off topic: My old Nissan Xterra always pulls through for the win. Got the whole thing in and still able to close the hatch properly
Attached Images

08-17-2022, 08:17 PM   #46
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'm glad I have the sound kit. I'm not a huge fan of the CS exhaust valve logic. However, it is LOUD with valves open. CS valve logic combined with full open option is a nice balance of moods because you're never stuck fully closed. I don't think I could tolerate a non valved exhaust on a daily basis. I'm sure my neighbors are already thrilled in the afternoon when I come home valves open. The new exhaust is awesome ��
      08-17-2022, 10:18 PM   #47
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
I'm glad I have the sound kit. I'm not a huge fan of the CS exhaust valve logic. However, it is LOUD with valves open. CS valve logic combined with full open option is a nice balance of moods because you're never stuck fully closed. I don't think I could tolerate a non valved exhaust on a daily basis. I'm sure my neighbors are already thrilled in the afternoon when I come home valves open. The new exhaust is awesome ��
I didn't get the sound kit but may do so. The titanium shriek at high revs is just beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2022, 07:50 AM   #48
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

This exhaust has created a constant battle between listening to music and turning it off to listen to exhaust
      08-18-2022, 08:30 PM   #49
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
This exhaust has created a constant battle between listening to music and turning it off to listen to exhaust
Wow, it's that good. Now I'm really pumped.

Mine is ready. I'm reunited with it tomorrow night. First drive will be on Sunday afternoon.

Pics will be taken as well of the other mods. Stay tuned, this is a great way to end the otherwise crappy work week.
      08-19-2022, 01:38 PM   #50
///MPECABL
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post

Mine is ready. I'm reunited with it tomorrow night. First drive will be on Sunday afternoon.

Pics will be taken as well of the other mods. Stay tuned, this is a great way to end the otherwise crappy work week.
Any driveby's yet? Would love to hear it in person!
      08-20-2022, 11:36 PM   #51
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

What's the good word?
      08-21-2022, 02:34 PM   #52
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Ok, let me gather my thoughts here.

First off the M2 CS from the factory sounds bad and looks ever worse. All those guys saying their OG M2 sounds better are absolutely right.

As for the looks, I had an M2C and I immediately painted the udder black to make it 1/2 acceptable. I didn't want to paint the exhaust of an M2 CS so I knew eventually I would get a new exhaust to try to work on both issues.

Honestly I've never spent this much on an exhaust system before in my life. How can a $8000 system possibly live up to expectations? I'm going to say this one has.

From an installation standpoint it couldn't have been easier. The Akrapovic link pipe and the muffler is precision defined. My installer was impresses, he had just come off a very difficult M2 CS muffler / mid pipe installation and he isn't alone. Most systems require headaches and modifications to make them work. This fit and finish and ease of installation gets a 10/10.

The weight savings speak for themselves. And it's significant if you ask me.

The throttle response seems to be better. More immediate, no lag.

The looks speak for themselves. No more udder and the looks are now fitting for a legendary M car.

The sound. I'm not going to lie. With the flaps open and you're partial throttle below 4k rpm, the system drones. So I just don't drive around under those conditions.

Compared to my old M2 CSR the system sounds better. It's more aggressive on throttle and going from WOT to partial throttle the bark is pretty angry.

I love the flexibility of the system. Quite when you want it and angry when feeling frisky or you want to impress the Hondas giving you a hard time.

Overall I would do it again for $8000. The ease of removal and potential sale down the road make this a no brainer for me. In the meantime I get to enjoy the new sound of my S55 which definitely makes the M2 CS a more enjoyable machine to pilot.
      08-21-2022, 04:38 PM   #53
CarJunkie
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e82 1M, f87 M2cs

Garage List
2020 M2cs  [0.00]
2011 BMW 1M  [0.00]
You almost made me want to part ways with $8000, but I just can't bring myself to do it!
1M track toy mods: BMS chargepipe, BMS OCC, ADE FMIC, ADE motor mounts, MadDad/Lightweight Ti exhaust, ADE custom oil thermostat/cooler, custom MHD tune, F10 550i clutch, Ohlins R+T, Vorschlag camber plates, M3 'vert FSB with Turner endlinks, Stoptech Trophy BBK.
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2022, 08:00 PM   #54
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
You almost made me want to part ways with $8000, but I just can't bring myself to do it!
lol. The mid pipe is the secret. Don't do it unless you can buy both. You can sell it easily if you do.
      08-21-2022, 08:22 PM   #55
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Hauling the old exhaust into the attic makes you appreciate Ti even more. Kidding aside I find that the new exhaust makes me want to drive even more. I'm sure this isn't an Akra only phenomenon, but the sound is Awesome.
      08-22-2022, 04:01 AM   #56
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarJunkie View Post
lol. The mid pipe is the secret. Don't do it unless you can buy both. You can sell it easily if you do.
I did explore the midpipe route but found the drone too much (admittedly I went AA EL rather than Akra). I reverted to stock though kept the Akra catback and love the final outcome.

That all said, if you're not after anything boisterous under the load, stock is fine. But when you load up the beast with rpms there's no doubting you're in something special. Epic is the word that comes to mind.
Appreciate 0
      08-22-2022, 07:00 PM   #57
clutchdj
Colonel
Rep
Drives: a few cars

Quote:
Holy, the CS exhaust has character, batman. Sport+ hides pops and burbles in that muffler. Akra evo system installed. I'm really impressed. Sounds nothing like any of the videos. Nice rumble down low, and then gets the higher pitch that I've been wanting as it starts going above 4500 rpm. There's a bit of drone, to my ear, right around 2800. It's not unpleasant to my ear. Stock exhaust is waaayyy bassier at idle. Stock you kinda feel rather than hear. Valves open or closed the Akra is super quiet at idle. But give it just a little rpm and it gets much louder very quickly. Warmup idle is much louder than stock.

Akra is funny because they don't seem to let you adjust the exhaust tips in or out. Only the pivot angle. Gotta keep that Akrapovic advertising visible. I would have preferred them tucked a bit more lock stock, but they look really good like this.

I don't like the drone at all. ruins it a bit for me, however stock was too quiet. Had the same evo system on the m2c and there was no drone. pretty sure its the valve tuning differences between the 2c and 2cs.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 02:42 PM   #58
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Akra used prices going up. This thread started something....
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2022, 07:16 PM   #59
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Akra used prices going up. This thread started something....
What you seeing price wise Dave?
      08-30-2022, 07:18 PM   #60
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Just monitoring the for sale section 5500 to 6500
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      09-13-2022, 10:49 PM   #61
M2CSDuckie
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_slo View Post
Akrapovic really makes a great exhaust for the CS. I have also put on the slip-on a few weeks ago, mid-pipe is stock, due to OPF. Million times better than stock, looks great too.

A lot of people got the CS backbox lately, as the factory makes them in batches.
Does anyone know what the difference is between the C and the CS muffler? I'm looking to buy one and if the CS is better for our cars in any way I'd prefer to get that specifically.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 06:20 AM   #62
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Akra mid pipe hanging low

I installed the Akra full system and I'm currently in discussion with Akra about how low the mid pipe hangs down, is anyone else's similar to mine?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 11:56 AM   #63
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiysersosae View Post
I installed the Akra full system and I'm currently in discussion with Akra about how low the mid pipe hangs down, is anyone else's similar to mine?
I haven't looked on mine, but the previous owner did get a mild scrape on the midpipe while he had it on his car.
      09-14-2022, 12:21 PM   #64
kiysersosae
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: 1M, M2CS, M3CS

Quote:
Quote:
I haven't looked on mine, but the previous owner did get a mild scrape on the midpipe while he had it on his car.
They shouldn't hang this low. Akra are saying I can try and adjust the DPs and this may raise it a bit but I personally think it's been misaligned during fab, which I know is difficult to do in a pre made jig. Akra also say that, it has to hang a bit lower due to the diameter of their pipes. From memory, the OPF are much larger in diameter? These mids will definitely hit the deck at some point.
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #65
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
They shouldn't hang this low. Akra are saying I can try and adjust the DPs and this may raise it a bit but I personally think it's been misaligned during fab, which I know is difficult to do in a pre made jig. Akra also say that, it has to hang a bit lower due to the diameter of their pipes. From memory, the OPF are much larger in diameter? These mids will definitely hit the deck at some point.
Yep, hit a tall enough speed bump and they'll take a hit for sure.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2022, 08:45 AM   #66
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Mines in the trailer now so a good time to snap a pic of this. I'll report back soon.