BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > Akrapovic Mid Pipe and Muffler M2 CS Sound at start up

08-02-2022, 07:48 AM   #23
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: BMW M's

Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Is anyone able to point to an image where the sound kit valve connectors pass through the trunk. The Akrapovic manual differs slightly. I've got a second computer in the space that the control box mounts, and I don't seem to have a passthrough for the connectors where the manual suggests. I finally gave up. It's driving me nuts.
Wish I could help Dave. I just had the shop install my system complete
      08-02-2022, 11:29 AM   #24
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

I think what's going on is the comp has a computer mounted to the chassis with a hard mount and the CS uses a janky hard foam case that just sits in there wedged between the other hardware. I'm guessing the floor passthrough ports are also in a slightly different spot because the don't seem to match the location on the Akra instructions.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2022, 09:30 PM   #25
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Success! There are some differences in the underbody heat shielding that mad things a bit confusing. I thought the instructions suggested I should pass the connector plugs down through the hole in the floor. I unplugged everything and fed the wires up because the hole was too small. Wish I had that thought yesterday. I connected it to the stock exhaust. Sound change is significant from valves closed to open.
Appreciate 1
ptgltw3777.50
      08-03-2022, 07:54 AM   #26
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Success! There are some differences in the underbody heat shielding that mad things a bit confusing. I thought the instructions suggested I should pass the connector plugs down through the hole in the floor. I unplugged everything and fed the wires up because the hole was too small. Wish I had that thought yesterday. I connected it to the stock exhaust. Sound change is significant from valves closed to open.
Pics and videos or it didn't happen
      08-03-2022, 08:23 AM   #27
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I'll try to grab a soundclip of stock exhaust with valves open vs closed, and then with akra. I'll record it during the warmup because it's very dramatic. I can't wait for the Akra to be installed. Poking around with the valves open on the stock exhaust has already added to my enjoyment.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 11:19 AM   #28
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I listened to the soundclip on the Akra website with the catless downpipes. It appears to be the sound I'm ultimately after. Shame it would require a tune to delete CEL.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 03:38 PM   #29
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
I listened to the soundclip on the Akra website with the catless downpipes. It appears to be the sound I'm ultimately after. Shame it would require a tune to delete CEL.
Too loud Dave. You and I are old, we don't need that.
      08-03-2022, 08:43 PM   #30
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptgltw View Post
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cNWdS3RNy3MyDihc8

Edit: video no worky

This proves to me how nonsensical it is to record exhaust sound. Video presents as very little difference. In person it's a dramatic difference. Makes me even more excited about the exhaust.

Last edited by medphysdave; 08-03-2022 at 08:50 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2022, 09:31 PM   #31
Jimjamz
Colonel
Australia
Rep
Drives: G81 M3 Touring (Frozen Black)

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
https://photos.app.goo.gl/cNWdS3RNy3MyDihc8

Edit: video no worky

This proves to me how nonsensical it is to record exhaust sound. Video presents as very little difference. In person it's a dramatic difference. Makes me even more excited about the exhaust.
It's why I haven't put something up. In person it's amazing. Phone video is hopefulness.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 05:40 AM   #32
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 CS

Quote:
Is anyone able to point to an image where the sound kit valve connectors pass through the trunk. The Akrapovic manual differs slightly. I've got a second computer in the space that the control box mounts, and I don't seem to have a passthrough for the connectors where the manual suggests. I finally gave up. It's driving me nuts.
My sound kit is in its original box on the shelf.
I didn't feel like dismantling my entire trunk interior on a brand new car.

As previously posted in the thread, this is a 20 minute solution that has worked flawlessly for me so far. It also provides more control. Well worth the money.

Review Of CG Precision VSC-2 Variable Sound Controller (Exhaust Valve Controller) https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1099274
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 06:02 AM   #33
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87CSdrifterential View Post
My sound kit is in its original box on the shelf.
I didn't feel like dismantling my entire trunk interior on a brand new car.

As previously posted in the thread, this is a 20 minute solution that has worked flawlessly for me so far. It also provides more control. Well worth the money.

Review Of CG Precision VSC-2 Variable Sound Controller (Exhaust Valve Controller) https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=1099274
I like how it has an option to default to valves open. Question though. I've read some details on the Akra module. It's programmed to be more advanced than just open and closed. Specifically, it's tuned to open/close the valves to reduce sound variance between the exhaust and piped in artificial sound. It also seems to be tuned to work with the Akra link pipe for specific sound tuning to the Evo system. I can't confirm/deny the claim, but I found it interesting. I can't imagine the VSC-2 is Akra specific, but does it have any inherent sound tuning characteristic beyond binary open/closed?
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 08:14 AM   #34
johnny_slo
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
I like how it has an option to default to valves open. Question though. I've read some details on the Akra module. It's programmed to be more advanced than just open and closed. Specifically, it's tuned to open/close the valves to reduce sound variance between the exhaust and piped in artificial sound. It also seems to be tuned to work with the Akra link pipe for specific sound tuning to the Evo system. I can't confirm/deny the claim, but I found it interesting. I can't imagine the VSC-2 is Akra specific, but does it have any inherent sound tuning characteristic beyond binary open/closed?
If on OPEN (red light on the remote thingy), then it's always open during driving. When car is restarted, or if you go off of the open setting (for both, this is indicated with a white light on the remote) it falls back to default setting, which follows the car's original settings for exhaust flaps management.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 09:25 AM   #35
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

How does the CG Precision VSC-2 Variable Sound Controller (Exhaust Valve Controller) work?
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 05:51 AM   #36
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
How does the CG Precision VSC-2 Variable Sound Controller (Exhaust Valve Controller) work?
The VSC-2 is not Akrapovic specific or tuned for any specific exhaust.

I can not confirm if the Akrapovic sound kit functions differently than the simplicity of the VSC-2 to provide sound in a different way.

These are the directions for the Akrapovic installation.

https://www.mtk-tuning.com/media/doc...nd_kit_M2_.pdf

These are the directions for the VSC-2 installation.

https://speedindustry.com/images/upl...Guide%20v3.pdf

The VSC-2 installs entirely underneath the car and receives power through the existing factory valve control harness.

You simply mount it and then connect the 4 plugs to intersect the existing harness. Tuck the wires properly and that it. The remote then opens and closes the valves based on your preselected settings prior to the unit shipping. Then as previously posted you can integrate the wireless functionality into the home link system.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 07:59 AM   #37
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

I was receiving assistance from Turn14 on my installation. I asked about the functionality of the Akra controller. They replied that it is an on/off function. I can't find the reference to what I was mentioning earlier.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 03:08 PM   #38
f87CSdrifterential
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I was receiving assistance from Turn14 on my installation. I asked about the functionality of the Akra controller. They replied that it is an on/off function. I can't find the reference to what I was mentioning earlier.
If this is the case it doesn't seem worth your time to dismantle all of the trim from your trunk versus 20 minutes of working underneath the car with the VSC-2
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2022, 06:25 PM   #39
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by f87CSdrifterential View Post
If this is the case it doesn't seem worth your time to dismantle all of the trim from your trunk versus 20 minutes of working underneath the car with the VSC-2
The trunk dismantling was super quick and easy. Their instructions were excellent. If you ever need to get deep into the trunk download the link pipe instructions from the Akra website. It includes the soundkit install instructions.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2022, 07:13 PM   #40
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Holy, the CS exhaust has character, batman. Sport+ hides pops and burbles in that muffler. Akra evo system installed. I'm really impressed. Sounds nothing like any of the videos. Nice rumble down low, and then gets the higher pitch that I've been wanting as it starts going above 4500 rpm. There's a bit of drone, to my ear, right around 2800. It's not unpleasant to my ear. Stock exhaust is waaayyy bassier at idle. Stock you kinda feel rather than hear. Valves open or closed the Akra is super quiet at idle. But give it just a little rpm and it gets much louder very quickly. Warmup idle is much louder than stock.

Akra is funny because they don't seem to let you adjust the exhaust tips in or out. Only the pivot angle. Gotta keep that Akrapovic advertising visible. I would have preferred them tucked a bit more lock stock, but they look really good like this.

Attached Images

Last edited by medphysdave; 08-16-2022 at 07:24 PM..
Appreciate 1
F87EVO4033.00
      08-16-2022, 08:56 PM   #41
yaymitch
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS & 2022 RSQ8

Cheers!

https://youtu.be/HELTwuEhVbo
      08-16-2022, 09:08 PM   #42
ptgltw
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Congrats Dave. I pick mine up at the end of the week. I'll give a full report this weekend.

I'm assuming it only enhances the driving experience.
      08-16-2022, 09:09 PM   #43
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Congrats Dave. I pick mine up at the end of the week. I'll give a full report this weekend.

I'm assuming it only enhances the driving experience.
Drove with the windows down and the AC on
      08-17-2022, 12:10 AM   #44
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
I'm pretty happy with the sound of the CS stock as long as the windows are open. It's very BMW.

I did just get the secondary cats replaced with Quicksilver de cat pipes on the AMR though. This video is a very accurate recording. So that's how I get my emotional exhaust insanity fix. It's nice to have both options depending on mood.

Appreciate 0