BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M Performance HAS or H&R

03-24-2022, 12:00 PM   #1
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 E46 ZHP, 20 X3M, M2CS

M Performance HAS or H&R

Would like to lower the CS a bit and would love thoughts from anyone who may have experience with the M Performance or other HAS kits on our cars with EDC suspension. I track 1-2 times a year so not a huge factor. I prefer not to lose EDC function so not really considering coilovers. Lucky enough to have TC Kline’s shop in my backyard so if I were, I’d probably use his.

TC can order the H&R HAS kit which apparently is made for EDC F8X cars. Similar price to M Performance.

Details on changes to ride quality, handling, etc would be much appreciated!
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 12:45 PM   #2
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

I have MP HAS and comfort is a bit more compliant, but still enjoy it on a regular basis while I've used Sport+ on the track and felt it was more than capable to handle the task at hand. Can't say more than that since I'm no technical wizard when it comes to suspension, but I also didn't want to lose EDC and don't regret going with MP HAS

Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      03-24-2022, 02:15 PM   #3
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
The owner of my shop which has no less than a dozen Porsches and 3-4 full track cars on any given day talked me into going with the regular H&R sport springs. He said if I'm not tracking the car regularly I'll never notice the difference on the road.

Very happy with the result and the stance is great. The handling feels like stock, I remember thinking it felt a bit more stiff initially but now it just feels normal.

I'm sure both HAS kits are great as well, and the cost over the sport springs is not significant especially once you factor in install labor and alignment.

They only reason to go with coilovers is if it's going to be tracked a lot or if you are going for a super aggressive stance. Going too low will likely actually negatively affect handling, then you need to go with camber plates and leads to more issues. Been there, done that.

Good luck and keep us posted with the results.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 06:23 PM   #4
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I've read on the M3/M4 forums that even H&R recommends the MP HAS kit if track is not your primary focus. I pulled my MP HAS kit from my M4 and installed it on my M2cs so it was an easy decision for me.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 09:46 PM   #5
ShortSides
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I've read on the M3/M4 forums that even H&R recommends the MP HAS kit if track is not your primary focus. I pulled my MP HAS kit from my M4 and installed it on my M2cs so it was an easy decision for me.
Quote:
What about the KW HAS kit?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2022, 10:18 PM   #6
jessief29812
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShortSides View Post
Quote:
Quote:
What about the KW HAS kit?
From what I've been told it's the same. Not sure if it's true but just what I heard
Appreciate 1
Got f1?681.00
      03-25-2022, 07:18 AM   #7
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Found this comment on the thread below:

“Both are made by KW. The difference is in the engineering - people rave about the MP HAS kit because it's very clear it was designed and engineered specifically for the car and transforms the adaptive suspension to something it should have been from the factory. The KW HAS kit is good too, but it seems to be a bit more harsh and less refined, which is likely due to far less attention to suspension engineering and more towards getting the car lower.”

https://f80.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...erformance+HAS
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 06:55 PM   #8
frostyrides
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '20 M2 CS | '18 GT3 T

I'm on H&R adjustable springs.

If you have good roads, the ride is similar to OEM. My biggest issue with the springs is that they don't handle dips well (especially at high speed). My guess is that the OEM dampers don't have enough travel with the car being lowered. I will probably go full coil over soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2022, 07:52 PM   #9
kyrocks
Lieutenant
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 M3 Touring

I'm on MP HAS. Drove a friends with H&R. Both very good and similar. I just wanted OEM and height adjustability.
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 04:25 PM   #10
JPMD
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrocks View Post
I'm on MP HAS. Drove a friends with H&R. Both very good and similar. I just wanted OEM and height adjustability.
Do you happen to know the range of adjustability of the MP HAS?
HR adjustable state 0.8-1.4 front and back
Appreciate 0
      03-27-2022, 07:29 PM   #11
Got f1?
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPMD View Post
Do you happen to know the range of adjustability of the MP HAS?
HR adjustable state 0.8-1.4 front and back
I don’t know. Can’t remember where I saw it but the MP is slightly less I think…
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2022, 01:12 PM   #12
RugbyBro
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M3

My $0.02 (skip to last sentence for the direct answer to your question ): having lowered my last F82 w/ adaptive dampers on springs (MP HAS) I won't be doing it again. The OE shocks just can't cope with it over time. Sure it will feel great right away on a young car, but your ride & damping quality will degrade quicker over time. Keep in mind, these dampers are nearly a 10 year old design at this point - M2CS doesn't have anything proprietary from a suspension hardware perspective. The whole point of the CS is that it is the most optimized all rounder from a suspension perspective, and suspension travel has a lot to do with it. If I am to lower again it will be on a proper coil over setup with a shock that's designed to operated at lower ride heights. I'd also consider a diff mount and adjustable arms as when you lower with only springs, you are changing the suspension geometry (for better or worse).

That said, if you really want to pursue springs, then MP HAS would be the way to go given it is approved by BMW using BMW specific spring rates.
      03-30-2022, 05:41 PM   #13
mfarrzhp
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 M3 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by RugbyBro View Post
My $0.02 (skip to last sentence for the direct answer to your question ): having lowered my last F82 w/ adaptive dampers on springs (MP HAS) I won't be doing it again. The OE shocks just can't cope with it over time. Sure it will feel great right away on a young car, but your ride & damping quality will degrade quicker over time. Keep in mind, these dampers are nearly a 10 year old design at this point - M2CS doesn't have anything proprietary from a suspension hardware perspective. The whole point of the CS is that it is the most optimized all rounder from a suspension perspective, and suspension travel has a lot to do with it. If I am to lower again it will be on a proper coil over setup with a shock that's designed to operated at lower ride heights. I'd also consider a diff mount and adjustable arms as when you lower with only springs, you are changing the suspension geometry (for better or worse).

That said, if you really want to pursue springs, then MP HAS would be the way to go given it is approved by BMW using BMW specific spring rates.
I don't think the 2cm drop will do anything noticeable to the shocks or the handling. I certainly don't notice it on the street. It is not even noticeable visually until you see it next to a standard CS.

Race springs available for other cars that drop it 5-7cm is another story. You can tell when a dropped car is bouncing down the road it's too much for the suspension to handle.

The only 2 things visually I don't love on the stock CS is the saggy exhaust and the wheel gap. The exhaust doesn't bother me enough to change it out since it's under the car. The wheel gap is an easy solution. Just personal preference.

I agree if you want it lower and are going to be tracking it, go with coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2022, 03:28 PM   #14
fstclyz
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostytacos View Post
I'm on H&R adjustable springs.

If you have good roads, the ride is similar to OEM. My biggest issue with the springs is that they don't handle dips well (especially at high speed). My guess is that the OEM dampers don't have enough travel with the car being lowered. I will probably go full coil over soon.
Exactly. That's the problem with lowering using OEM shocks. The operating rate and ranges are different and the shock bottoms out more often, isn't tuned to the springs and is working at a different compression/rebound rate. Not a deal breaker but not tuned like some people want. Most of the H&R lowered springs kits have this result.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 12:02 PM   #15
gc.g80brg
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3C Individual

Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I have MP HAS and comfort is a bit more compliant, but still enjoy it on a regular basis while I've used Sport+ on the track and felt it was more than capable to handle the task at hand. Can't say more than that since I'm no technical wizard when it comes to suspension, but I also didn't want to lose EDC and don't regret going with MP HAS
MP HAS kit is made for M3/M4, it uses their spring rate. You kinda don't want such kit on any M2... same with KW HAS kit...
2001 M3 Laguna seca 6 speed
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2022, 01:08 PM   #16
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc.m2c View Post
MP HAS kit is made for M3/M4, it uses their spring rate. You kinda don't want such kit on any M2... same with KW HAS kit...
So far so good. With weights close enough to an F80/F82, I don't think it's going to be drastically bad on the CS. Probably a solid 10k miles on them.

Appreciate 0
      06-14-2022, 02:04 AM   #17
johnny_slo
Private
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Can someone help me out here. I'm currently looking at MP HAS system (I have H&R lowering springs on, but would like to go OEM due to warranty and resale). Does anyone have the part number for MP HAS system which fits the M2CS?
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:14 PM   #18
ZL9M2
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 M2 ZL9-'20 M2CS-'68 1600

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny_slo View Post
Can someone help me out here. I'm currently looking at MP HAS system (I have H&R lowering springs on, but would like to go OEM due to warranty and resale). Does anyone have the part number for MP HAS system which fits the M2CS?
Interested in this as well....
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:29 PM   #19
jessief29812
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Quote:
This is it:

https://ind-distribution.com/product...-m4-suspension

Get the hardware kit as well. I installed it and love it

You can find it cheaper:

https://www.bmwpartshub.com/oem-part...on-33502414216
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 02:32 PM   #20
jessief29812
BMW Enthusiast
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZL9M2 View Post
Quote:
Here's a photo as well (still settling). Rides even better than stock in all honesty and it looks 100x better. I hated the wheel gap. It was too large.
Attached Images

Appreciate 1
      08-15-2022, 03:03 PM   #21
Reddevils7
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87 M2CS

Garage List
2010 E92 M3  [7.83]
2020 F87 M2CS  [7.13]
Anyone getting clicking noises in the front wheel when turning in parking lots after lowering? Mine came with kw has and on the test drive I didn't notice it but now it's annoying. The Bilstein on my m4 did it too but not to this degree
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2022, 06:12 PM   #22
allinon72
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20' M2C, 23' X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddevils7 View Post
Anyone getting clicking noises in the front wheel when turning in parking lots after lowering? Mine came with kw has and on the test drive I didn't notice it but now it's annoying. The Bilstein on my m4 did it too but not to this degree
Appreciate 1