BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 CS Model > M2 CS upgrade to CCB OEM Kit

10-14-2022, 10:04 AM   #67
JohnnyH
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prodrive_X View Post
All the calipers are the same, I wear the ccb with the anthracite calipers, everything fits perfectly.
No one has yet proved that the gold caliper pistons are different....
That's cool. As I said, I didn't measure it, but I have just looked at some older photos of the brakes, and to be fair, the gap looks exactly the same, so you are correct
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 02:02 PM   #68
M3R1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: ///M2cs

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyH View Post
One thing I need to mention, I believe the carrier length is different between the red and gold calipers, so I'm not sure you can just swap the discs and pads. It appears that the gold caliper is a tighter fit on the wheel than the red caliper was. I didn't measure the difference, as I presumed the calipers were exactly the same, apart from the colour and the pistons. Only noticed it when the front wheels went back on
Quote:
All the calipers are the same, I wear the ccb with the anthracite calipers, everything fits perfectly.
No one has yet proved that the gold caliper pistons are different....
I will also be doing this in the near future. Thank you both for posting your results. I wonder why JohnnyH did not need to code the booster?

Prodrive, did you run your set up both with and without coding? Forgive me if you answered this previously.
      10-14-2022, 03:17 PM   #69
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post
I will also be doing this in the near future. Thank you both for posting your results. I wonder why JohnnyH did not need to code the booster?

Prodrive, did you run your set up both with and without coding? Forgive me if you answered this previously.
Without coding they were very sensitive, and it was impossible to get used to braking equally, with the same pressure it braked a lot or a little, it was impossible to control the touch.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 05:56 PM   #70
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Without coding they were very sensitive, and it was impossible to get used to braking equally, with the same pressure it braked a lot or a little, it was impossible to control the touch.
Got it.. Thank you sir..
      10-14-2022, 09:30 PM   #71
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
My driving factor is brake dust. Yes, it's an expensive solution, but for the right price I'll jump on it.
Davo. Just switch to Porterfield R4-S pads. I did this on the Aston. 90+% less dust, nice feel and no squeal. Superb street pad. I also got my wheels ceramic coated when I got a full PPF and ceramic. That helps too. Suffice to say dust is no longer an issue.

I'll likely do all the same stuff on the CS too.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2022, 10:29 PM   #72
sdhotwn
Mmmm... Bavarian
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, X5 45e, i3, Cayman S

I'm running the hawk ceramic pads and can go 500 plus miles with minimal dust. The rust from a wash is more of an issue than the pad dust
2014 Cayman S
Appreciate 1
Davil6524.50
      10-15-2022, 10:09 AM   #73
JohnnyH
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3R1 View Post

I don't know why our pedal feel is so different. All I can say is that I am very happy with the brakes as they are now, and I won't be changing anything else.

For comparison, I recently drove another M car with factory fitted ceramics, and found the pedal to be very sensitive. It's the reason I expected mine to be that way, but it isn't. And I have no idea why
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      10-15-2022, 01:33 PM   #74
Track/S
Major
Rep
Drives: M2C, M4 GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyH View Post
I don't know why our pedal feel is so different. All I can say is that I am very happy with the brakes as they are now, and I won't be changing anything else.

For comparison, I recently drove another M car with factory fitted ceramics, and found the pedal to be very sensitive. It's the reason I expected mine to be that way, but it isn't. And I have no idea why
Maybe the dkg is coded in a different way, mine is manual, I also have an m4 gts and the pedal is not as sensitive as in the m2c, I think it has something to do with the coding because it is dkg.
Appreciate 1
M3R12168.50
      10-15-2022, 01:37 PM   #75
M3R1
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davil View Post
Davo. Just switch to Porterfield R4-S pads. I did this on the Aston. 90+% less dust, nice feel and no squeal. Superb street pad. I also got my wheels ceramic coated when I got a full PPF and ceramic. That helps too. Suffice to say dust is no longer an issue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdhotwn View Post
I'm running the hawk ceramic pads and can go 500 plus miles with minimal dust. The rust from a wash is more of an issue than the pad dust
I'm running Carbotech 1521's and also ~90% dust reduction without squeal. The dust was my main gripe, however the rust is also right up there. The car is so beautiful, the see rust makes me sad.

Of course dropping the weight would be the icing on the cake.
      10-16-2022, 09:06 AM   #76
medphysdave
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS | 85 of 592

Quote:

How does the RS4 compare to the factory pads on track. I'm admittedly happily surprised by how the stock pads held up. My instructor in an M3 running Alcon was also surprised. Yes, when they heat up they require earlier braking, but they are consistent when hot. I'm not the fastest around track, but my laptimes for stock were pretty good.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2022, 07:15 PM   #77
Davil
Brigadier General
Australia
Rep
Drives: M2 CS, 18 Vantage AMR, 00 WRX

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by medphysdave View Post
Quote:

How does the RS4 compare to the factory pads on track. I'm admittedly happily surprised by how the stock pads held up. My instructor in an M3 running Alcon was also surprised. Yes, when they heat up they require earlier braking, but they are consistent when hot. I'm not the fastest around track, but my laptimes for stock were pretty good.
I haven't used them on track, and they are specifically sold as a street pad. Feedback I've read is they are ok at 8/10 but you'll get far better results switching to a track pad like the R4 which is of course noisy as hell.
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 10:29 AM   #78
JohnnyH
Rep

Quote:
Maybe the dkg is coded in a different way, mine is manual, I also have an m4 gts and the pedal is not as sensitive as in the m2c, I think it has something to do with the coding because it is dkg.
My apologies, but what is dkg?
I think there must be different coding between the Comp and the CS. BMW would not tell us what was different coding wise between the steel and ceramic CS's. We even looked into whether they were running different ECU's. They really didn't want us retro fitting these brakes. I guess I ultimately just took a chance with them, thinking they couldn't be that bad, and fortunately it has worked out very well
Appreciate 0
      10-18-2022, 02:24 PM   #79
iminiulot
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Depending on how you drive the car, I'd change the brake pads first. I believe there is a decent solution for this.
Appreciate 0
      12-04-2022, 04:50 PM   #80
JohnnyH
Rep

It has been a while since I have posted on this, but felt I needed to post my findings here after spending a good few weeks with the brakes now.

I am still super happy with the performance on the road, but last week, I took it on track for the first and only time to see if there were any issues with the new brake setup under sustained hard braking. I have to say that when driving on track, they performed / stopped very well time after time, but the pedal feel was indeed very sensitive. It seemed to give maximum braking power for about half the pedal pressure I was used to. The stopping power was very impressive though, but I would prefer some more pedal modulation for track use. Surprisingly, they also produced quite a bit of brake dust.

If I was going to do track days from time to time, i would definitely change the booster, and maybe even look at the coding if I still wasn’t happy. If I was going to do a lot of track days, I’d probably leave the steel brakes on, and change the pads and fluid.

Overall though, I’m very happy with my decision to fit these brakes. I feel the improvements are not just limited to braking, as both systems seem to have similar stopping power. Having now driven it on all types of surfaces, I feel the car now steers and rides a little better. It also feels like it accelerates a little better too. I accept this may also be placebo on my part, but I am very happy none the less
Appreciate 2
JPMD171.00
thrilla123.50