Rep
Drives: 2017 Big Turbo BMW M2

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [9.42]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcouchh View Post
What's more puzzling is how in 18 months I've gone through 4 sets of OEM taillights under warranty because the LEDs fail so often. There are no safety issues here. If you don't like them, don't buy them!
Absolutely fair to criticize the stock taillights for their inherent unreliability. But at least they're DOT-certified and aren't made in some forced labor factory in China, alongside bottle rockets and cheap Android phones.
I'm deaddd you do make a good point
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2022, 04:55 PM   #46
Wah
IG@i.am.wah
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 CS

Garage List
I sold my tail lights today after almost 2 months. Don't get me wrong, I really liked them. I don't care what others think, the OLEDs look awesome to me. During a really sunny day (think... sunglasses days) the rear daytime running lights (the OLED part) were maybe a little faint, but here's the thing... you have to code the OLED DRL to stay on when the headlights are off. Most people don't code rear DRLs on their OEM tails anyway, so I don't see what the complaining is about lol. Dim DRLs are brighter than no DRLs, right? The OLED parts are NOT brake lights. At night or on a less than sunny day, they look bright enough to be noticeable.

The brake lights, on the other hand, are as bright as OEM so the complaints about them being unsafe are BS. Quality, fitment were fine. The blue startup sequence... not a big deal... its like 2 seconds when you start the car. The blue is actually less bright than the red so its not that easy to see in person during the day. Regardless, they are starting to sell these lights with the blue animation changed to red, so I guess they hear the complaints from us crazy people all the way in china.

I don't think I've ever been stopped before by people to tell me my tail lights look "siiiiiiick" but now I do apparently.

The issue I had was the color of the lens. In photos its fine, but the red lens wasn't dark cherry red enough... it was almost like magenta. Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. I looked for films that made them redder, but couldn't find anything that wasn't orange or more magenta. In the end I decided to sell them...

and order the clear lens version with red startup animation.

So once again... the haters can suck it. When I get bored of them, it'll take all of 15 minutes to revert back to stock.
Appreciate 2
Jimjamz4581.50
rcouchh2360.00
      08-07-2022, 04:09 AM   #47
bromudez
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Competition

Selling them was the right decision
Appreciate 0
      08-07-2022, 10:50 AM   #48
///393
Captain
Rep
Drives: X6

Guys installing cheap eBay tail lights and calling them OLED is my new favorite thing in BMW world.
Appreciate 2
Poochie9104.50
StephGOD218.50
      10-17-2022, 03:47 PM   #49
Twonice2485
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wah View Post
I sold my tail lights today after almost 2 months. Don't get me wrong, I really liked them. I don't care what others think, the OLEDs look awesome to me. During a really sunny day (think... sunglasses days) the rear daytime running lights (the OLED part) were maybe a little faint, but here's the thing... you have to code the OLED DRL to stay on when the headlights are off. Most people don't code rear DRLs on their OEM tails anyway, so I don't see what the complaining is about lol. Dim DRLs are brighter than no DRLs, right? The OLED parts are NOT brake lights. At night or on a less than sunny day, they look bright enough to be noticeable.

The brake lights, on the other hand, are as bright as OEM so the complaints about them being unsafe are BS. Quality, fitment were fine. The blue startup sequence... not a big deal... its like 2 seconds when you start the car. The blue is actually less bright than the red so its not that easy to see in person during the day. Regardless, they are starting to sell these lights with the blue animation changed to red, so I guess they hear the complaints from us crazy people all the way in china.

I don't think I've ever been stopped before by people to tell me my tail lights look "siiiiiiick" but now I do apparently.

The issue I had was the color of the lens. In photos its fine, but the red lens wasn't dark cherry red enough... it was almost like magenta. Once I saw it, I couldn't unsee it. I looked for films that made them redder, but couldn't find anything that wasn't orange or more magenta. In the end I decided to sell them...

and order the clear lens version with red startup animation.

So once again... the haters can suck it. When I get bored of them, it'll take all of 15 minutes to revert back to stock.
Where did you order the red lights with the red start up animation?
Appreciate 0