04-03-2024, 03:24 PM   #1
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: N/A

Suspension Upgrade Choice

Hi all,

While this topic may feel well-trodden, I've noticed a variety of perspectives persist, often influenced by biases. I'm seeking an objective viewpoint and guidance to meet my goals.
  • I will most likely NEVER track the car
  • I live in NYC, and you can imagine how poor the roads are
  • I'm OK with the firm ride, but I do not enjoy how I lose grip when driving over bumps
  • Ideally, I'd like to improve conering, handling, and overall driving dynamics.
  • Ideally, I would not like to egregiously lower my car.
  • Not a requirement, but It would be nice to consider options that present an excellent value.

Appreciate the help, in advance!
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 03:53 PM   #2
HP Autosport
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, AP, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, www.hpautosport.com

You certainly don't want springs only or HAS. You need a coilover kit with properly matched springs and damping.

KW V3 lowering f .6-1.5 r .9-1.8
ST XTA lowering f.8-1.6 r .8-1.8

KW makes ST, and it's of great value.

PM us with any questions or for a quote.
Appreciate 1
Shaq937.00
      04-03-2024, 06:08 PM   #3
ThreeStripes
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hank Scorpio View Post
What’s your budget?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 06:48 PM   #4
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThreeStripes View Post
What’s your budget?
Tbh I’m not so sure. Maybe something within the $2500 range? I was looking at the M Performance coil overs as default. But I’m sure there’s far better alternatives out there.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:47 PM   #5
OG Shark
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Tbh I’m not so sure. Maybe something within the $2500 range? I was looking at the M Performance coil overs as default. But I’m sure there’s far better alternatives out there.
I'm getting ready to get my hands on Nitron's new road kit that will be in that range just fyi. Getting rid of the crashy/harshness of the oem, bumping performance a bit, and prioritizing street manners.
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 07:50 PM   #6
Hank Scorpio
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I'm getting ready to get my hands on Nitron's new road kit that will be in that range just fyi. Getting rid of the crashy/harshness of the oem, bumping performance a bit, and prioritizing street manners.
My car will be driven mostly on city streets and highways. Price point really isn’t something I’m focused on (obviously reasonable pricing does matter). Is there something better for a little more?
Appreciate 0
      04-03-2024, 08:05 PM   #7
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Hi all,

While this topic may feel well-trodden, I've noticed a variety of perspectives persist, often influenced by biases. I'm seeking an objective viewpoint and guidance to meet my goals.
  • I will most likely NEVER track the car
  • I live in NYC, and you can imagine how poor the roads are
  • I'm OK with the firm ride, but I do not enjoy how I lose grip when driving over bumps
  • Ideally, I'd like to improve conering, handling, and overall driving dynamics.
  • Ideally, I would not like to egregiously lower my car.
  • Not a requirement, but It would be nice to consider options that present an excellent value.

1. Every aftermarket coil-over available for this car will increase the spring rate, but give you better damping, so you'll have more "bounce" so to speak, but you'll be rid of the "crashiness" of the stock suspension and the car will feel more planted in every situation.

2. The M Performance Suspension is overall the best road suspension for the car that I've ever found with regards to ride, longevity/reliability, and price. They are $2458 from getbmwparts.com.

3. The stock ride height is 620/620. BMW recommends a street height of 595/600, and the M Performance suspension is literally made to do that. It lowers the car a bit, gets rid of the stock front wheel gap, and reliably makes the ride better. Hard to beat that.

Stock with stock tires + Ferric 437's + 12/10 spacers + MPS at 595/600.

Autumn in the air. by Andrew Thompson, on Flickr
Appreciate 1
Alanine15.00
      04-05-2024, 11:09 AM   #8
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

i think adjustable springs are the way to go for street cars. Unless you plan on tracking, I would save the money from a coilover upgrade

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:10 PM   #9
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
i think adjustable springs are the way to go for street cars. Unless you plan on tracking, I would save the money from a coilover upgrade
I'm surprised to hear you say this, since it's common knowledge now that all HAS kits will kill the stock shocks/struts in a very short period of time because they are made to work within a very specific range and HAS kits put them out of that range.

I mean, if someone wants a terrible ride within 10K miles I guess they're fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:24 PM   #10
mike@x-ph.com
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///MPhatic View Post
I'm surprised to hear you say this, since it's common knowledge now that all HAS kits will kill the stock shocks/struts in a very short period of time because they are made to work within a very specific range and HAS kits put them out of that range.

I mean, if someone wants a terrible ride within 10K miles I guess they're fine.
That's not been my experience. I have had adjustable springs on all my street cars without any issues. I also don't have complaints or warranties from customers with adjustable springs.

If customers want to pay more for coilovers, that's fine with me. From a business perspective, it's certainly more profitable for us since we offer these products. But that's my personal opinion about it

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2024, 12:28 PM   #11
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike@x-ph.com View Post
That's not been my experience. I have had adjustable springs on all my street cars without any issues. I also don't have complaints or warranties from customers with adjustable springs.

If customers want to pay more for coilovers, that's fine with me. From a business perspective, it's certainly more profitable for us since we offer these products. But that's my personal opinion about it
Interesting. I'm finding it common to hear of guys swapping their lowering springs because they have killed their struts. Super common.
Appreciate 0