BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > Dealership Wrecked/Damaged M2C During Scheduled Maintenance

05-24-2022, 09:10 AM   #23
Mavus
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E90 335i, F80 zcp

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mavus View Post
sucks man! that's why I go to my indy cause I don't trust stealership aholes.

I'd want car on the lift and full inspection of suspension and body parts with images to get the total damage assessment, parts & labor.

As soon as the warranty ends I will be doing everything at the indie and even then I want to get some suspension work done and will get it done at the indie to start building the relationship
good idea instead of some prick that has no respect for these cars or your property. Stealerships think they are protected no matter what and behave accordingly. Some techs at my shop have been there 15-20y and know these cars well including good quality aftermarket parts and never need to worry whether somebody will wreck my car.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:11 AM   #24
happyjack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F87 M2C 6MT

Garage List
gopropham dude that sucks. which DMV dealership?

my garage: '23 G05 xDrive40i m-sport; '21 F87 M2C, 6MT; '17 F25 x-drive28i SAV; '15 F55 mini hatch 5-door
retired: '87 E30 MT 'vert; '92 E36 sedan; '99 E36 MT 'vert; '06 E90 x-drive sedan; '07 E83 x-drive30 SAV; '09 E91 x-drive wagon; '12 E89 Z4 MT M-sport; '15 F22 sport line
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:18 AM   #25
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

Quote:
good idea instead of some prick that has no respect for these cars or your property. Stealerships think they are protected no matter what and behave accordingly. Some techs at my shop have been there 15-20y and know these cars well including good quality aftermarket parts and never need to worry whether somebody will wreck my car.
yeah, I have no idea who is working on my car at the dealership. Could be a good tech, could be some random guy that has not much experience or care.

They have been ok with me so far, nothing bad to report but next time I go back they going to hear from me because someone torqued (or shall I say, didn't actually torque) the crap of 2 of my wheels. 1 side was fine and the other was over torqued that when I was trying to change my wheels to the track wheels almost stripped the lug nut. It blows my mind that a dealership is not using a torque wrench on this kind of car. This is one of the reasons I have not installed a stud kit because torque on those is even lower and I don't want to have a list of shit to have to tell the dealer everytime I bring the car in (like don't wash the damn car, I am that guy that tells every single person and then has a mirror hanger and a car over the speedometer just in case)
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:27 AM   #26
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
yeah, I have no idea who is working on my car at the dealership. Could be a good tech, could be some random guy that has not much experience or care.

They have been ok with me so far, nothing bad to report but next time I go back they going to hear from me because someone torqued (or shall I say, didn't actually torque) the crap of 2 of my wheels. 1 side was fine and the other was over torqued that when I was trying to change my wheels to the track wheels almost stripped the lug nut. It blows my mind that a dealership is not using a torque wrench on this kind of car. This is one of the reasons I have not installed a stud kit because torque on those is even lower and I don't want to have a list of shit to have to tell the dealer everytime I bring the car in (like don't wash the damn car, I am that guy that tells every single person and then has a mirror hanger and a car over the speedometer just in case)
that's exactly it! if they can't tq the wheel what about the engine repair even a simple one!? hell no!!

my shop told me years ago that most M drivers do not take their cars to stealerships.

years ago when I took my e90 for the heater recall I told them no wash and the car does not leave the property. I went around the car and took images of the entire vehicle with CA. I then asked to talk to the tech that will be doing the repair. They were annoyed at first but then realized it makes sense considering $$ worth of mods and cf parts. We had a friendly chat afterwords and and they said we wish bmw would build proper cars again lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:28 AM   #27
BigKutta
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C, 2019 330xi, 2017 Q7

Garage List
2019 330xi  [0.00]
2017 Audi Q7 3.0  [0.00]
2020 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:

Yep, blows my mind. Everyone over torques. Its amazing how little you need to tighten based on our torque specs
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 10:22 AM   #28
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
Appreciate the community here and all of the advice. This dealership is already losing my trust more and more as time goes by. Here's some more, minor info that I left out in the initial story: When I was waiting in the lobby, some other customers overheard what had happened. One of the gentlemen waiting told me that earlier this weekend he saw the dealership curb rash a different M2C belonging to a client. That same M2C was sitting outside, and I found out the dealer was now ordering a new wheel for him.

Update: I've been exchanging emails with the service manager, and I am directing him to tow the car to a certified BMW collision center. He was trying to tow it to a local repair center instead.. I had already spoken to the collision center in which I want the work done, and gave them a heads up that this issue is coming their way. The collision center was extremely helpful - I spoke to a gentleman that helped me in the past (~2 years ago) when my 335 was vandalized by a homeless person, and I was happy with their service. He even remembered me. He was also helpful in giving me a few recommendations on how to move forward. There are so many red flags at the moment. I'm reaching out to my insurance company for advice, and also reaching out to some folks in my local BMW CCA chapter for guidance.
Appreciate 4
RideM317.00
nismosao204.00
Moflow2484.50
Mavus2037.00
      05-24-2022, 10:58 AM   #29
nismosao
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Toyota Tacoma, '21 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by gopropham View Post
Appreciate the community here and all of the advice. This dealership is already losing my trust more and more as time goes by. Here's some more, minor info that I left out in the initial story: When I was waiting in the lobby, some other customers overheard what had happened. One of the gentlemen waiting told me that earlier this weekend he saw the dealership curb rash a different M2C belonging to a client. That same M2C was sitting outside, and I found out the dealer was now ordering a new wheel for him.

Update: I've been exchanging emails with the service manager, and I am directing him to tow the car to a certified BMW collision center. He was trying to tow it to a local repair center instead.. I had already spoken to the collision center in which I want the work done, and gave them a heads up that this issue is coming their way. The collision center was extremely helpful - I spoke to a gentleman that helped me in the past (~2 years ago) when my 335 was vandalized by a homeless person, and I was happy with their service. He even remembered me. He was also helpful in giving me a few recommendations on how to move forward. There are so many red flags at the moment. I'm reaching out to my insurance company for advice, and also reaching out to some folks in my local BMW CCA chapter for guidance.
Good luck to you buddy!
      05-24-2022, 11:44 AM   #30
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW HS M2C DCT

I'd make them buy the car back. This is total BS. Even if they fix everything "off the record", you know the car is tainted. Lawyer up.
Appreciate 1
akkando5864.50
      05-24-2022, 01:22 PM   #31
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
I'd make them buy the car back. This is total BS. Even if they fix everything "off the record", you know the car is tainted. Lawyer up.
and then buy what?
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 01:47 PM   #32
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Quote:
It was probably the porter when parking it; they shuffle cars around the dealer all day and you don't need much to get that job expect maybe a pulse - if that.

One of the dealer porters that didn't even speak a word of english, scratch my bumper and other time etched the steering wheel leather with all the keys he had around his belt clip.

They dealer surprisedly reimbursed me without a fuss, which lead me to believe it happens often and they just write it off.

However, for good measure, the next time gave me a loaner car, I smoked hella weed in it and turned it into a hotel-on-wheels. They can't hire decent porters, so they'll get some shitty customers to boot. 😎
Appreciate 1
Moflow2484.50
      05-24-2022, 02:02 PM   #33
Mavus
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

Get the car moved to the collision shop and don't let them touch it. Get everything inspected and find an attorney in case you need it. Also report to BMW NA.

Take plenty of photos and keep all correspondence.

scumbags
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:25 PM   #34
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
and then buy what?
This is exactly the problem.

There isn't anything out there that fits the niche like the M2 Competition. I should know because I spent weeks trying to figure this out until I decided on the M2C. Even the new M2 won't be out for awhile and, frankly, I find it uninteresting and too big.

It's a bad deal. The car is not really replaceable except with another M2C.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 02:36 PM   #35
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

I would definitely go back to the spot where you think it may have happened and take pictures of the skid marks and the curb (which will have obvious scarring).

Sorry to hear it bro, but I imagine this can be fixed rather easily with new parts/paint/wheels/tires/alignment.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 04:29 PM   #36
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZ-Wildcat View Post
and then buy what?
That's the issue….
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 05:05 PM   #37
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

IMO have them fix everything on the house (obv) , the service you had done today should be comp'd, make sure nothing is on carfax but take pics of damage for next owner, get an extended warranty on the house (warranty it to the hilt- a warranty that covers wear and tear items).

End of the day it could've been worse. At least it's two wheels and a lip. Shouldn't depreciate the value too much on an M2C as long as next owner knows what was replaced. People respray bumpers, replace wheels all the time.

Sorry to hear this happened…
Appreciate 1
chris7197345.50
      05-24-2022, 07:30 PM   #38
aftercorbu
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 20 M2C, 20 S3

Outrageous. So sorry this happened to you. Sounds like you are handling as well as can be expected. Jeezus that sucks.
      05-24-2022, 07:44 PM   #39
chmura
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2 Competition

Even if they do it in-house and won’t show up in the carfax report you still know it has been in an accident and need to disclose it if a new buyer asks.

I would tell them to fix it and give me $6,000 diminished value.

This sounds like a shady dealer. I would never go back there ever again.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 07:50 PM   #40
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by chmura View Post
Even if they do it in-house and won’t show up in the carfax report you still know it has been in an accident and need to disclose it if a new buyer asks.

I would tell them to fix it and give me $6,000 diminished value.
Exactly. I don’t like the advice to get the dealer to somehow game Carfax not to show this accident.

Odds are this car will end up traded in. If he’s not directly selling it, you know that the dealer will not disclose this accident. That’s the whole point of Carfax. It ought to be reported.

I would be furious if I bought this car second hand only to find out, after the fact, that it was involved in an incident like this. Personally, stuff like this were deal breakers when I was shopping for an M2C.

Like you - I think he needs to figure out a way to recoup diminished value on the front end.
Appreciate 1
      05-24-2022, 08:28 PM   #41
okla_m2c
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '20 BMW F87 M2C

Garage List
After speaking to several friends, advisors, etc., I'm leaning more towards filing a claim with the dealership's insurance company. Quite frankly, I just don't trust this dealership to follow through with making this right. Unfortunately, this will now most likely show up on the vehicle's history, but I think the truth is owed to the next potential owner. I was planning on keeping the car for a long time, but who knows, that could change. This is my first M car, and it has exceeded all of my expectations. It's hard to know that there could be something better than what I have currently (for its value, that is). But this incident, however, has caused me to re-think that mentality.

Initially, I was thinking of having the dealership complete repairs + provide some form of compensation to offset the diminished value, inconvenience, etc. (via upgraded wheels, etc.) and not have it reported, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

I did speak to a friend of mine (who happens to be a claims adjuster), and he recommended that I file a claim with the dealership's insurance. I do have comprehensive coverage, but he stated that if I'm trying to get everything repaired + compensated for diminished value, I should file a claim through their insurance and not mine, and it should be a general liability claim (not the typical auto claim). If I filed through my own insurance, he stated it would be much tougher to get additional compensation for my time, inconvenience, diminished value, etc. since my insurance is not incentivized to go beyond repairing the vehicle to what it once was.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with the process of working with another insurance company, since I've always gone through mine - I've never had an accident with another vehicle, only time I've filed an auto claim with my own insurance was for previously owned cars: 1) homeless person vandalized my car and 2) hit and run on my car (minor front bumper damage).

As of today, the dealership informed me that the car was picked up and towed to the certified collision center (though, my BMW app says it's still at the same dealership.. not sure if it only updates if the car is turned on). I tried calling the collision center but didn't get a response, and they are now closed for the evening. Will follow back up with them first thing in the morning tomorrow. Before the collision center can do any adjustments, estimates, etc., they need a decision from me on how I want to move forward (filing a claim or having the dealership foot the bill directly).
Appreciate 3
      05-24-2022, 08:44 PM   #42
AZ-Wildcat
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
After speaking to several friends, advisors, etc., I'm leaning more towards filing a claim with the dealership's insurance company. Quite frankly, I just don't trust this dealership to follow through with making this right. Unfortunately, this will now most likely show up on the vehicle's history, but I think the truth is owed to the next potential owner. I was planning on keeping the car for a long time, but who knows, that could change. This is my first M car, and it has exceeded all of my expectations. It's hard to know that there could be something better than what I have currently (for its value, that is). But this incident, however, has caused me to re-think that mentality.

Initially, I was thinking of having the dealership complete repairs + provide some form of compensation to offset the diminished value, inconvenience, etc. (via upgraded wheels, etc.) and not have it reported, but I'm not sure if I want to go that route.

I did speak to a friend of mine (who happens to be a claims adjuster), and he recommended that I file a claim with the dealership's insurance. I do have comprehensive coverage, but he stated that if I'm trying to get everything repaired + compensated for diminished value, I should file a claim through their insurance and not mine, and it should be a general liability claim (not the typical auto claim). If I filed through my own insurance, he stated it would be much tougher to get additional compensation for my time, inconvenience, diminished value, etc. since my insurance is not incentivized to go beyond repairing the vehicle to what it once was.

I'm fairly unfamiliar with the process of working with another insurance company, since I've always gone through mine - I've never had an accident with another vehicle, only time I've filed an auto claim with my own insurance was for previously owned cars: 1) homeless person vandalized my car and 2) hit and run on my car (minor front bumper damage).

As of today, the dealership informed me that the car was picked up and towed to the certified collision center (though, my BMW app says it's still at the same dealership.. not sure if it only updates if the car is turned on). I tried calling the collision center but didn't get a response, and they are now closed for the evening. Will follow back up with them first thing in the morning tomorrow. Before the collision center can do any adjustments, estimates, etc., they need a decision from me on how I want to move forward (filing a claim or having the dealership foot the bill directly).
Dude, what a nightmare. Hang in there
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 09:18 PM   #43
jonbardzy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2 Comp

Garage List
Nah bro this is foul.. Hope everything gets repaired quickly, that you get those free 763ms, and that you are back cruising again soon. So sorry this happened to you
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2022, 10:37 PM   #44
Sublime00
Banned
Rep
Drives: Car

Quote:

If you file through their insurance co., why would they provide any additional compensation (wheels, warranty, diminished value, etc). Wouldn't they just tell you, that's fine, here's $X.

You can always go through their insurance as a last resort, but give the shitty dealership a chance to rectify the situation plus give you a good will gesture.

If anything I'd see if the location where this occurred has any surveillance cameras so you can see what really happened.
Appreciate 0