BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Competition Model > TPMS malfunction

05-06-2023, 05:26 PM   #1
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M2 Comp

TPMS malfunction

Wondering if anyone has had this issue on their comp (or og for that matter). Started getting TPMS malfunction. Message comes and goes, sometimes I reset it and works sometimes it doesn't. Then start driving and works, then error then works again. Its pretty annoying. It is not the wheel sensors because this happens with all 3 sets of wheels, same exact symthoms.
Took car to dealer since still under warranty. They first just reset everything. Of course this did not do much, within 100 miles was back. So I took it back there again. Car was with them for a week. They put a new module on which apparently broke other things, gps antena, wheel sensor which they replaced. They were having problems still but eventually told me car was ready. Went to get it and it was fine (well they broke my sat nav and xm radio which still needs to be fixed, this is probably because they did that new 3g fix and need to repeat it, common problem).
So at first it did not pair after a reset but next day it seemed fixed, great. Well did not last long, about 50 miles later the error was back. I am going to be taking it back in a week or so but just wondering if anyone has had something similar or a suggestion. I think they are out of ideas so maybe someone has gone through the same and found a fix.
Appreciate 0
      05-08-2023, 05:01 PM   #2
Enabled
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 328xd Wagon, M2 Competition

I wonder what the codes are exactly?

The DSC module is the TPMS antenna for these as far as I knew.
Others:
-E36 328is. 2000 Z3 Roady. 2003 VW Jetta TDI Manual. Estoril Z3M Coupe.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      05-08-2023, 05:18 PM   #3
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I will try to find out, maybe I should read the codes myself and see. It is really strange and one of those where they got it working so they sent me on my way but then malfunction pops on again.

I did not know that the DSC module was the TPMS antena on this, I thought was separate and was under the rear speakers but I am not sure. Just getting really frustrated with this, car has to go back and I feel it will be be there and they will "fix" it again and then randomly will pop on. They also replaced at least 2 of the wheels TPMSs (even though this happens with all 3 sets so definitely not that but it was fair to get that done). Luckily under warranty or this would have been I think $1200 and still broken lol.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2023, 02:01 PM   #4
Charles33982
Rep
Drives: 2021 Silver M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooMooM2 View Post
Wondering if anyone has had this issue on their comp (or og for that matter). Started getting TPMS malfunction. Message comes and goes, sometimes I reset it and works sometimes it doesn't. Then start driving and works, then error then works again. Its pretty annoying. It is not the wheel sensors because this happens with all 3 sets of wheels, same exact symthoms.
Took car to dealer since still under warranty. They first just reset everything. Of course this did not do much, within 100 miles was back. So I took it back there again. Car was with them for a week. They put a new module on which apparently broke other things, gps antena, wheel sensor which they replaced. They were having problems still but eventually told me car was ready. Went to get it and it was fine (well they broke my sat nav and xm radio which still needs to be fixed, this is probably because they did that new 3g fix and need to repeat it, common problem).
So at first it did not pair after a reset but next day it seemed fixed, great. Well did not last long, about 50 miles later the error was back. I am going to be taking it back in a week or so but just wondering if anyone has had something similar or a suggestion. I think they are out of ideas so maybe someone has gone through the same and found a fix.
I have similar issue on my 2021, would work ok for awhile after reset but now it’s stuck in TPM malfunction mode. Car is only about 2.5 years old on oem wheels. I plan to ask the dealer to check it out later this year.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      05-09-2023, 03:35 PM   #5
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles33982 View Post
I have similar issue on my 2021, would work ok for awhile after reset but now it’s stuck in TPM malfunction mode. Car is only about 2.5 years old on oem wheels. I plan to ask the dealer to check it out later this year.
if you are lucky its just 1 bad TPMS on 1 of the wheels, or low battery or something which is more common and does happen. But since I have multiple wheel sets and all have the error its not that. I will update this if I ever get it figured out.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 04:07 PM   #6
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

You need the exact codes, which wheel?

There's 4 receivers one in each wheel arch. You should be able to tell which one has the problem. Can you read pressure from all wheels or is one missing?
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2023, 06:40 PM   #7
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by doughboy View Post
You need the exact codes, which wheel?

There's 4 receivers one in each wheel arch. You should be able to tell which one has the problem. Can you read pressure from all wheels or is one missing?
can't be the wheel sensors, all 3 sets of wheels do it. Dealer replaced 2 of the wheel sensors and still a problem
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2023, 12:49 AM   #8
doughboy
Major General
Rep

No i mean the vehicle side receivers, called trigger transmitters i think.

1 in each wheel arch. They link back to the RDC module.

EDIT - this was my old E91, things hav moved on a bit now I suspect

Last edited by doughboy; 05-12-2023 at 07:39 AM..
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      05-16-2023, 06:33 AM   #9
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: `17 X5 35d/`15 335i/`18 M550IX

I had this issue in my F30 and I replaced the 315/433mhz (different depending on geo location/year) radio receiver and it solved my issues. It was located on the package shelf on the F30 but I guess it's in differing locations around the rear depending on the model. I had multiple sets of wheels (with TPMS) that would fail and it became increasingly more frequent. I can't remember the exact code in ISTA but it wasn't obvious, the receiver is like 3 wires so it's not a real intelligent module.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      05-16-2023, 06:46 AM   #10
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinner View Post
I had this issue in my F30 and I replaced the 315/433mhz (different depending on geo location/year) radio receiver and it solved my issues. It was located on the package shelf on the F30 but I guess it's in differing locations around the rear depending on the model. I had multiple sets of wheels (with TPMS) that would fail and it became increasingly more frequent. I can't remember the exact code in ISTA but it wasn't obvious, the receiver is like 3 wires so it's not a real intelligent module.
thanks.

I do think they have replaced the radio receiver (that is located above the boot by the rear speakers. Car goes back in tomorrow so they will hopefully figure something out.

But same issue. It will work, sometimes for 50/100 miles. Then stop working. Right now its not working, its not even ever pairing up, either sits on 0% or goes to 49% and stops. This is good so it goes in there with the error so they can see I am not full of shit.

I am not sure what to do, this will be the 3rd time car goes in there and I don't want to have to keep bringing car in, what are my options if it is still not fixed?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 08:06 AM   #11
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
thanks.

I do think they have replaced the radio receiver (that is located above the boot by the rear speakers. Car goes back in tomorrow so they will hopefully figure something out.

But same issue. It will work, sometimes for 50/100 miles. Then stop working. Right now its not working, its not even ever pairing up, either sits on 0% or goes to 49% and stops. This is good so it goes in there with the error so they can see I am not full of shit.

I am not sure what to do, this will be the 3rd time car goes in there and I don't want to have to keep bringing car in, what are my options if it is still not fixed?
Lemon law?
      05-16-2023, 08:19 AM   #12
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
Lemon law?
maybe but that would be crazy for a tpms malfunction. I will say this, its extremely annoying. I don't need TPMS but it is nice to have, I also don't want a warning on my screen most of the time
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 08:59 AM   #13
Swish77
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition '21

Very sorry to hear about this. Hope it gets resolved.

I have a '21 M2C, and haven't had any TPMS issues (knock on wood) despite swapping wheels (summer/winter) a couple of times.

I wonder if the TPMS can be coded off through Bimmercode or similar. Certainly not ideal, but it would at least get the warning off of your dash if a permanent fix can't be found.

Last edited by Swish77; 05-16-2023 at 02:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:31 AM   #14
inTgr8r
Lieutenant General
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swish77 View Post
Very sorry to heard about this. Hope it gets resolved.

I have a '21 M2C, and haven't had any TPMS issues (knock on wood) despite swapping wheels (summer/winter) a couple of times.

I wonder if the TPMS can be coded off through Bimmercode or similar. Certainly not ideal, but it would at least get the warning off of your dash if a permanent fix can't be found.
Yes, it can be coded out but not with Bimmercode.
'07 Z4 M Coupe Alpine White (sold)
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 09:41 AM   #15
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

I would be interested in coding it out but then would like to have the other system coded in that checks for loss of pressure through the wheel sensors or however it does it. I definitely want to know if one of my tires are low.

But yeah lets see what happens, hopefully can be figured out.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 03:16 PM   #16
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
thanks.

there is a bunch of part numbers for that receiver i believe. does your key work consistently?
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2023, 03:42 PM   #17
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
there is a bunch of part numbers for that receiver i believe. does your key work consistently?
sometimes (but very very rarely) the touch handle to open won't open. Apart from that they key is always detected and it has been fine.

I believe there are 3 of those receivers?

I believe they only replaced the back one, they also did not put it back, they zip tied it in the trunk which kind of annoyed me, I think they thought maybe something was blocking it, I am going to have them put it back where it belongs
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2023, 07:59 AM   #18
zinner
Major
United_States
Rep

don’t think there are three of them on a car but maybe
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      05-18-2023, 03:43 PM   #19
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
don’t think there are three of them on a car but maybe
Comfort access has a receiver at each lock point. I.e 3, both doors and the boot / trunk on M2.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2023, 03:46 PM   #20
doughboy
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I would be interested in coding it out but then would like to have the other system coded in that checks for loss of pressure through the wheel sensors or however it does it. I definitely want to know if one of my tires are low.

But yeah lets see what happens, hopefully can be figured out.
It's either all on or all off. The low pressure warning needs a fully functioning system.
Appreciate 1
MooMooM21817.50
      06-01-2023, 06:09 AM   #21
MooMooM2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Car came back from the dealer 2 days ago. They told me bmw remoted in to do some software thing, apparently I had european software in there (which I think they put cuz last time I went there they did something that borked my xm radio and nav). They said all updated and tpms working.

Just like before they work and then stop working. They will be good for 50 miles then malfunction then come back again. I am sick of this but also not going to bring the car in anymore. I am going to see what errors its throwing this weekend and will try to fix it myself. I think there is a loose connection somewhere because usually feels like I get on a bumpy road and it will go out, then come back again.

My question for yall is where is the tpms receiver? Someone said its the abs receiver? But i am not sure that is the case, or is it the rdc thing under the rear windshield? Anyone got a diagram? Or know where I can find one?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2024, 04:53 AM   #22
aatlas
Private
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Quote:
Car came back from the dealer 2 days ago. They told me bmw remoted in to do some software thing, apparently I had european software in there (which I think they put cuz last time I went there they did something that borked my xm radio and nav). They said all updated and tpms working.

Just like before they work and then stop working. They will be good for 50 miles then malfunction then come back again. I am sick of this but also not going to bring the car in anymore. I am going to see what errors its throwing this weekend and will try to fix it myself. I think there is a loose connection somewhere because usually feels like I get on a bumpy road and it will go out, then come back again.

My question for yall is where is the tpms receiver? Someone said its the abs receiver? But i am not sure that is the case, or is it the rdc thing under the rear windshield? Anyone got a diagram? Or know where I can find one?

Did you ever get this figured out? I'm having the same issue as of yesterday I disconnected/reconnected the battery then used bimmercode to toggle tpms setting from showing pressure to pressure and temps to reset the ecu/module and see if that would fix the issue for now.
BBS e88/513m
IG: @aatlas_M2C
Appreciate 0