BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > M Performance Exhaust - Pairing Process

06-04-2018, 02:13 PM   #1
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Re-Pair M2 M Performance Exhaust

Someone stole the exhaust remote on for M2 M Performance Exhaust. Just got a replacement from the dealer.

Does anyone know the procedure for pairing the stick bluetooth remote? Couldn't find anything mentioned in the paper instructions included with the remote.

Thanks in advance!!
Appreciate 0
      06-04-2018, 05:40 PM   #2
Smindustries
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Perhaps your best bet for pairing instructions is to reach out to the manufacturer, Red Arch Manufacturing:

https://www.redarcheng.co.uk/contact-us/
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 01:45 PM   #3
cookiesowns
;)
Rep
Drives: X5 45e, 535i N54, X3 N55

Hold down the button for about 10-15 seconds close to the controller box in the trunk.

Should re-pair right up
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      06-05-2018, 01:57 PM   #4
alscks0414
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: MY18 X3 M40i, MY18 M3 ZCP

How on earth can someone steel your remote?? Did you leave it outside your car?? Did you passenger take it?

Just curious.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2018, 08:36 PM   #5
onesixeight
Captain
Rep
Drives: F82 M4/i8

Quote:
Originally Posted by alscks0414 View Post
How on earth can someone steel your remote?? Did you leave it outside your car?? Did you passenger take it?

Just curious.
Thanks Guys!!

Valet . I absolutely always skip the valet but went to a restaurant that was valet only and didn't have any self parking within a reasonable distance. Never going to that restaurant again!!
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      06-05-2018, 10:24 PM   #6
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
Thanks Guys!!

Valet . I absolutely always skip the valet but went to a restaurant that was valet only and didn't have any self parking within a reasonable distance. Never going to that restaurant again!!
Which restaurant? Just want to make sure I don’t go there.
Appreciate 1
///M TOWN13117.00
      06-06-2018, 11:03 PM   #7
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

Could lock the remote in the glove box next time. Give valet the fob and you keep the key.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2018, 09:15 AM   #8
Moonlapse
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post
Perhaps your best bet for pairing instructions is to reach out to the manufacturer, Red Arch Manufacturing:

I sent them a note yesterday, hopefully I'll hear something! Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2018, 02:27 PM   #9
BSMF87
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: M2 BSM 6SPD

Quote:
Originally Posted by onesixeight View Post
Thanks Guys!!

I would have went back to the restaurant and raised hell, I hope you made them pay for the new remote.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2019, 02:42 PM   #10
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition (MY2021)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonlapse View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smindustries View Post

I sent them a note yesterday, hopefully I'll hear something! Thank you.
Slightly old thread but I'm curious, did you hear anything back? I have started to get random BT controller connectivity issues and wondering if repairing/resetting will help
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2019, 08:37 PM   #11
spucktacular
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2020 BMW X4M  [0.00]
2021 GLC  [0.00]
It’s honestly bad design. I have the same system in my BMW X4, and I’ve had the entire thing changed twice. He control module, the remote, even the pipes to amake sure it wasn’t somehow faulty wiring in the electric flaps.

Everyone who has variations of this kit report the same random disconnect problems. The mini JWT kit, the F26 35i MPE and the F87 M2 MPE are all sourced from the same vendor and while each has different piping and mufflers, they share the BT implementation and the silly control unit installed in the trunk.

It’s BT 4.0 interference, low power by design it gets easily interfered with even by someone wearing an Apple Watch waiting at a bus stop (it’s not a coincidence they tend to switch off at red lights). Truth is I’ve noticed Apple watches REALLY don’t play nice at all with the MPE and if someone is wearing an Apple Watch inside your car, good luck getting more than 30 seconds before it closes.

Personally I’m gonna try to wire up a toggle so I can flap the exhaust open and then disconnect the negative line between the fuse box and the MPE ECU, essentially achieving the same thing as physically disconnecting the wiring harness, but to do it from a toggle in the drivers seat. Still use the BT remote to switch modes, but once it’s in the desired mode, essentially cut the power to the MPE ECU to lock it in that mode.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 07:23 AM   #12
caf4676
Rep
Drives: M2

All,

Just this morning, my flaps are stuck open and the remote is not responding.

Could it be the battery is dying? I get two quick lights if I press the button, nothing else otherwise.

Any suggestions will help. I have a 1200+ mile journey ahead of me! I would rather have the valves closed!

As always, thank you for your help.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2019, 02:04 PM   #13
mr_lab_rat
Major
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2, 2018 X1

Obvious troubleshooting would be the battery replacement and/or re-pairing the BT.
For the road trip you can close them by turning the car off and waiting few seconds. Confirm the flaps closed and disconnect the harness in the trunk (the bigger grey rectangular connector).

Now that I think of it to turn it off you should be able to just flip the power switch on the control unit.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2019, 11:59 AM   #14
caf4676
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_lab_rat View Post
Obvious troubleshooting would be the battery replacement and/or re-pairing the BT.
For the road trip you can close them by turning the car off and waiting few seconds. Confirm the flaps closed and disconnect the harness in the trunk (the bigger grey rectangular connector).

Now that I think of it to turn it off you should be able to just flip the power switch on the control unit.
I replaced the battery and no luck. The valves stayed open from NY to western VA; then they closed by themselves after the car was turned off at a gas station.

So now they are stuck shut. I get a quick 2 blinks from the remote but no response of the valves. I (un)plugged and gray connection at the control unit as well as toggled the switch to open/close valves.

It's at the dealership here in TX, I hope they can fix it since they are the ones who installed it not 4 months ago!!

Thanks for the help and I will keep you posted of any progress, for lack thereof.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 03:11 AM   #15
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by caf4676 View Post
All,

Could it be the battery is dying? I get two quick lights if I press the button, nothing else otherwise.

Any suggestions will help. I have a 1200+ mile journey ahead of me! I would rather have the valves closed!

Have you checked the fuse is secure?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 07:17 AM   #16
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

I bought my car used and will be ordering the remote. How do you pair it?
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2019, 10:50 PM   #17
caf4676
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
I didn't think to check the fuses. Dealership said the remote was the culprit. To pair the new remote, they reset the ECU. I was swetting bullets since it was flashed via bootmod3!!

But thankfully they did not notice!! And everything seems to be working just fine.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2019, 02:08 AM   #18
NathObeaN
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathObeaN View Post
I didn't think to check the fuses. Dealership said the remote was the culprit. To pair the new remote, they reset the ECU. I was swetting bullets since it was flashed via bootmod3!!

But thankfully they did not notice!! And everything seems to be working just fine.
Good to hear! I wouldn't worry too much, when they say 'ECU' they aren't talking about the main car, the exhaust has a separate control unit in the boot which BM3 wouldn't have touched.
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 09:44 AM   #19
skillz1318
6MT User
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 6MT

How do you reset the exhaust ECU in the trunk? Pull fuse? Switch on/off?

Picking up my MPE remote tomorrow morning...
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2019, 01:31 PM   #20
GoneIn4Secs
Banned
Rep
Drives: BSM F87 LCI (DCT)

Quote:
All,

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2019, 12:58 PM   #21
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

M Performance Exhaust - Pairing Process

Recently I had the MPE installed for my husbands birthday. Unfortunately when I picked up the vehicle, I wasn't able to test the exhaust. It wasn't until the week after that I discovered that it wasn't actuating the valves. So I popped open the trunk and removed the top piece. I could see that the module was in the off position. I thought, great - no problem here. I'll just turn it on. I did but that didn't make a difference.

With the vehicle running, I held the button down for 20+ seconds in hopes that I could pair the controller to the module. Since zero paperwork was provided to me, I have no idea if there are any additional steps involved. Fast forward to numerous email exchanges with the SA as well as another trip there so I could prove (yes prove) that It wasn't working. I asked him to look into the exhaust and verify for me that the valves were actuating. They weren't. So he attempted to pair the exhaust and was unsuccessful and left me with, "I'm not sure what to do next".

So either the module is defective, wired incorrectly or no one seems to know exactly how to pair the controller to the module itself. The latest email I received today said that the shop foreman "thinks" the module has a pairing button that has to be pressed. Yes, "thinks"...

Thanks in advance,
Monika

Going to give these a try this weekend:
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=77
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...4&postcount=79
https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3&postcount=84

Last edited by ///Monika; 08-29-2019 at 04:34 PM.. Reason: Tests to perform.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 03:20 PM   #22
Dirtboy
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: F87, F97

I lost connection to mine and from what I read online you have to press and hold the remote button for 15-20 seconds while holding it right next to the module in the trunk. Do this while the module is on. Worked for me.
Appreciate 0