BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > Pricing / Ordering / European Delivery / PCD > Is the m2 worth buying at its current market value

12-05-2021, 06:41 PM   #23
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep
Drives: ///M2

Garage List
I would stick to the e9x m3 in any version (price aside). I had a E90 M3 before
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 06:45 PM   #24
AndrewLe90
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW E36 M3

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 6speed_M2 View Post
Ya man great car, regret selling it already lol. Unfortunately I had to sell to get something good for the winter being that it was my only car. Car went to a good home at least
Appreciate 1
blkonblk195.00
      12-05-2021, 07:35 PM   #25
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
The market is tough with the M2. Personally, I would look for a M3/4. I think the M3 is the way to go.

For the M2, I would aim for a comp. I know people love the sound of the N55 and I can't blame them. I ran mine with the M performance exhaust + catless downpipe, also with a high flow cat (intake, e85 etc). I've pushed it to the limits on the stock turbo (445whp 500wtq)

The comp is the way to go IF the price is right. I could see a similar mileage N55 (2018 LCI) for 10-20k less. For the N55 I'd get a DCT for sure, comp DCT as well but manual if you must.

The only thing to watch out for with the comp is the crack hub.

Good luck with the search!
Appreciate 2
Ronin76739.00
ried791.50
      12-05-2021, 07:46 PM   #26
AndrewLe90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
The market is tough with the M2. Personally, I would look for a M3/4. I think the M3 is the way to go.

For the M2, I would aim for a comp. I know people love the sound of the N55 and I can't blame them. I ran mine with the M performance exhaust + catless downpipe, also with a high flow cat (intake, e85 etc). I've pushed it to the limits on the stock turbo (445whp 500wtq)

The comp is the way to go IF the price is right. I could see a similar mileage N55 (2018 LCI) for 10-20k less. For the N55 I'd get a DCT for sure, comp DCT as well but manual if you must.

Thanks for the input, I had an f80 about 2 years ago and the s55 is the way to go. Not sure if I'd want another f80 but I'm not against the idea since the m2 and m3 are similar is price. Maybe if the comps come down a bit in price I'll go with one, I'll most likely be purchasing sometime in the spring but I can't imagine any crazy price changes from now to then
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:09 PM   #27
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewLe90 View Post
Quote:

Thanks for the input, I had an f80 about 2 years ago and the s55 is the way to go. Not sure if I'd want another f80 but I'm not against the idea since the m2 and m3 are similar is price. Maybe if the comps come down a bit in price I'll go with one, I'll most likely be purchasing sometime in the spring but I can't imagine any crazy price changes from now to then
You know what's up. The F80 is the perfect sized car for daily driving. I don't think the M2 is much faster because of size alone. It's more for personal feel if anything.

I like the pocket sized fit of the M2. If you're track driving I could see the smaller car being easier to toss around but I'd go with the F80 personally.

After doing FBO, HPFP, flex fuel sensor, etc on my N55, I would stay away from it. Even with the sound being factored in. Nothing beats the straight piped sound of the N55 but it's not enough of a factor for me to pick it over the S55

Maybe the sound for me is different now that I've had it for a few years and got sick of the catless smell
Appreciate 2
ried791.50
      12-05-2021, 08:13 PM   #28
AndrewLe90
United_States
Rep

Garage List
1995 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

You know what's up. The F80 is the perfect sized car for daily driving. I don't think the M2 is much faster because of size alone. It's more for personal feel if anything.

I like the pocket sized fit of the M2. If you're track driving I could see the smaller car being easier to toss around but I'd go with the F80 personally.

After doing FBO, HPFP, flex fuel sensor, etc on my N55, I would stay away from it. Even with the sound being factored in. Nothing beats the straight piped sound of the N55 but it's not enough of a factor for me to pick it over the S55

Maybe the sound for me is different now that I've had it for a few years and got sick of the catless smell
Ya it's annoying to get power out of the n55, and crazy that the m2 still weighs as much as it does
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 08:35 PM   #29
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
@AndrewLe90

My car is the performance edition in manual. It weighed in at 3390lbs.

After spending 5-7k on performance mods it's still slow than the S55 with a JB4. Once you mod the S55 with ethanol and turbos, forget it.

My car with a pure stage 2 turbo (3-5k) on top of all I've done will get it to 500whp and 500wtq. Again, slower than a stock turbo S55 with a tune and ethanol alone.

I wouldn't even bother with the N55 but that's just me. All respect to those who still want it and love it. I can't blame anyone, it's a sweet engine. Just not the one I'd pick if I had the choice today.
Appreciate 1
      12-05-2021, 09:19 PM   #30
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
If you are indifferent on the color and both are optioned as you like I would go with the OG 2018!

I have owned both, and love my comp… but the price difference, similar experience, lower mileage, being local, I jump would jump LCI OG between the two. Cant go wrong, really
wow, thanks for the insight. yeah, I was leaning to the 2018 also. my color preference would be white but in the used car market, they are hard to find. I do like the miles and price of the 2018.

I do have another question, not M2 related, but color related. what color wheels do you guys think would look good on a black car? not really a fan of the wheels on the OG so would eventually like to replaces them. was thinking something in silver but not sure. also, do you guys daily drive your M2s?
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 09:27 PM   #31
DanG
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [7.68]
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkalhan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX102 View Post
If you are indifferent on the color and both are optioned as you like I would go with the OG 2018!

I have owned both, and love my comp… but the price difference, similar experience, lower mileage, being local, I jump would jump LCI OG between the two. Cant go wrong, really
wow, thanks for the insight. yeah, I was leaning to the 2018 also. my color preference would be white but in the used car market, they are hard to find. I do like the miles and price of the 2018.

I do have another question, not M2 related, but color related. what color wheels do you guys think would look good on a black car? not really a fan of the wheels on the OG so would eventually like to replaces them. was thinking something in silver but not sure. also, do you guys daily drive your M2s?
I daily drive my M2.
      12-05-2021, 09:31 PM   #32
Ronin76
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2018 Tesla Model 3

Quote:

How wide spread is the crack hub issue? that is another reason why I think I am leaning to the OG. Both M2s I am looking at are DCT and I do not plan on doing any mods to them...other than aesthetic mods.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:29 PM   #33
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

How wide spread is the crack hub issue? that is another reason why I think I am leaning to the OG. Both M2s I am looking at are DCT and I do not plan on doing any mods to them...other than aesthetic mods.
I haven't done much research on this topic (as I don't have the S55). I never cared to dig deep into it. I would ask the guys on the M3/4 forum.

From what I know, it's not as widespread as people make it out to be. I think a good percentage of cars that got it were newer or higher up in power (550+whp) but it has happened to stock cars.

I think it's from rapid downshifts. For example, a DCT car going from 7th to 2nd or 3rd at WOT. It causes the crank hub to spin rapidly and break. I know the new S58 engine removed the crack hub all together from what I understand.

I would still get the comp, slap some pure turbos and a crack hub and run that puppy on pump gas all day. It should be about 500whp and hit the same power levels on stock turbos with ethanol and stock fuel systems. Combine the pure turbos + ethanol and you're flying.

The crank hub is about 2k. Other then that and a tune, you'll still be at the same torque as my N55 build and more WHP with 1/3 of my budget.
Appreciate 0
      12-05-2021, 10:30 PM   #34
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:

I would get the comp, get a warranty for it and you're fine. Just make sure it's never been ECU reflashed because that'll come up when it's been servicing. A BMW tech can figure that out at the dealer.

I wouldn't stress about it at all.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 03:19 AM   #35
Fined
ghost user
Rep
Drives: M2 | 997 GTS

Quote:
Maybe I would too. I haven't had one yet but after some extended test drives I think I'd like it more.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 04:44 AM   #36
6speed_M2
Captain
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
Quote:
Maybe I would too. I haven't had one yet but after some extended test drives I think I'd like it more.
They have a ton of issues. Rod bearings, hoping the motor doesn't give out, no torque, heavy, somewhat clunky, no auto rev match for the manual, the DCT is annoying in stop and go traffic, maintenance, burning oil, they're slow power wise, etc

With all that said, I miss my E90 and even after having a perfect N55 build in my eyes, I still would take the a E90 M3 over my M2. It's worse in almost every statistical category but it's the car I'd rather be in.

Maybe for a track car and daily driver the M2 comp is a better pick because of the engine cooling/reliability but a proper M3 build would be incredible.
Appreciate 0
      12-06-2021, 02:23 PM   #37
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:

I don't think you can go wrong with either the OG or the Comp. I got a comp because it was just what BMW was selling at the time. Don't get me wrong, I like the engine better, but the chassis is the biggest draw for these things. Small, but relatively spacious for a coupe with genuine rear-drive thrills and good handling.

If you dont like the wheels that come with the OG, you might think about painting them. I think both sets of M2 wheels (437M and 788M) look a TON better when they're repainted in a solid color, be it silver, bronze or black. In fact, i really didn't like the 437M's at first, but now I know they're just a color change away from looking really really good. Example.

Crank hub issue is probably not a big deal if you're leaving the car stock in terms of power levels. There are a lot of M3/M4 cars with the S55 engine that are getting pretty old and we're not seeing just widespread engine failure or anything like that. It also seems to be slightly more common in DCT cars.
Appreciate 1
      12-08-2021, 07:30 AM   #38
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fined View Post
I have both, and my M2C comes extremely close to being my favorite M car, but the E92 M3 still slightly edges it out.

I'd argue the M2C is probably the best M car out of the box, not to mention it's super playful. However, the E9x M3 was a very high mark for the M department IMO. There is nothing, and I mean nothing, like revving the engine out to 8400 RPM. I still maintain that the S65 would have been at home in far more exotic and expensive cars than the M3.

Both have their places to be completely honest.
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 1
Fined243.00
      12-08-2021, 11:17 AM   #39
rcouchh
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM G87

I would not pay $50k for an OG M2, considering the MSRP was $52k. It's a great car but at $50k for a 3-5 year old car it's no longer the best bang for your buck.

Save up for a comp or wait a year IMO. I paid $53k for my 2019 M2C with 6k miles last year. Even $60k for a comp is still worth it IMO as you get much more car per dollar than an OG.
Appreciate 2
Ronin76739.00
qnet681.50
      12-08-2021, 11:18 AM   #40
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Quote:
I am in the same boat. I am actually trading in my Tesla Model 3 (2018) for either a 2020 M2 Comp a hair over $60k with 19k on the odo or a 2018 M2 (CPO) for $52k with 10k on the odo. I know everyone says that the Comp is the better car, but I do not plan on tracking it and I like the price point a bit better.

the 2018 is in Black and the 2020 is in Hochenheim Silver. The 2018 is local while the 2020 is a 7 hour drive each way.
Ya I'd like to find one for low 40k preferably under 50k miles, I would get the lci 2018 but I gotta say I'm a fan of analog gauges like in pre lci lol
LCI gauges are analog, just back lit.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 07:43 PM   #41
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
@AndrewLe90

My car is the performance edition in manual. It weighed in at 3390lbs.

After spending 5-7k on performance mods it's still slow than the S55 with a JB4. Once you mod the S55 with ethanol and turbos, forget it.

My car with a pure stage 2 turbo (3-5k) on top of all I've done will get it to 500whp and 500wtq. Again, slower than a stock turbo S55 with a tune and ethanol alone.

I wouldn't even bother with the N55 but that's just me. All respect to those who still want it and love it. I can't blame anyone, it's a sweet engine. Just not the one I'd pick if I had the choice today.
Currently building a 2017 M2 and while the diminishing returns you’re referencing are real, I’m actually quite happy with power in the 400whp/440wtq range for a fun, reliable street car that’s a blast on track.

No doubt the M2C has advantages, but the guy next to me in the paddock at the last BMW CCA HPDE claimed to be on his second engine as he spun his on BM3 Stage 2. He was DCT if I recall correctly. Totally anecdotal, but it’s enough to make me hesitate to pursue a big power S55 build.

I’ll be hitting a M2 CS tune at max should I eventually move to a M2C.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2021, 08:27 PM   #42
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

I have both an OG and comp M2 (as well as several E9x M3's). If you are not planning on modding the car much the comp M2 would be my preference over the OG. They can be had for close to 50 with patience. The OG is great with a bit of help over what the factory gets you. But if you track you still have the heat issues to deal with (unless you want to go way down the rabbit hole) and they still start to fall on their face as they rev out. The comp just does everything a bit better except sound. Off track to me it's a toss up - there are pros & cons to both.

That being said - as much as I love the F87's my preference is still with the E9x M3's. They need a little help from the factory but once they get it they are very hard to beat in fun factor.
Appreciate 1
W///7494.00
      12-08-2021, 08:42 PM   #43
Wolfman’s Brother
Banned
Rep
Drives: M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OG Shark View Post
I have both an OG and comp M2 (as well as several E9x M3's). If you are not planning on modding the car much the comp M2 would be my preference over the OG. They can be had for close to 50 with patience. The OG is great with a bit of help over what the factory gets you. But if you track you still have the heat issues to deal with (unless you want to go way down the rabbit hole) and they still start to fall on their face as they rev out. The comp just does everything a bit better except sound. Off track to me it's a toss up - there are pros & cons to both.
To be fair here you’re also seeing heat issues with your M2C so you may be putting JUST a bit more stress on yours at COTA than your average newb like me at Barber.
Appreciate 1
OG Shark4692.50
      12-08-2021, 08:58 PM   #44
OG Shark
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: Angry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfman’s Brother View Post
To be fair here you’re also seeing heat issues with your M2C so you may be putting JUST a bit more stress on yours at COTA than your average newb like me at Barber.
Ha yeah you might have a point there
Appreciate 0