BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > NEW RELEASE: Dinan Stage 4 Tune, Big Turbo & Dual Core Intercooler

01-09-2017, 09:48 AM   #177
QM
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoothM2 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by serrated View Post
Apparently my dealer already got the parts in so I drop my car off Tuesday morning. I'm getting the intake, turbo, intercooler, and tune. (already have MPE so I didn't want to spend any more than I already am)

We have a few warmer days (~45 F), but then we're forecasted for snow on Saturday and Sunday. I sure hope they finish before Saturday so I can drive home on dry pavement. I don't imagine 460 hp and RWD on MPSS does well in snow.
Sounds like you are in the Midwest
If you are in the Chicago area can you tell me where u are doing the install?
Dinan web site lists Fields as a Dinan dealer. There is another one listed as well I believe (Patrick?). Try one of those. If you do please post the details.
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2017, 01:47 PM   #178
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeanWRT View Post
That gets me worried. Sound like the re-sync of wastegate must be done by a Dinan dealer? What should I do apparently no dealer is available around?

In addition, a few questions on your new IC, I am surprised there isn't any reviews here that I can find of the similar m235i dual core IC released one year back or so.

With new IC for m2, there aren't much concrete info/details to support the claimed gains, other than the impressive 270% cooling surface thanks to dual core design. If you don't mind, some customers like us would like to know some details or basics:
1) Fin and tube or bar & plate?
2) Effective core volume compared to Stock?

Thanks!
1. Bar and Plate
2. N55 stock = 410 in^3 (19.5 x 5.25 x 4)

D330-0021 N55 Dinan = 450 in^3 (front) + 372 in^3 (rear) = 822 in^3
-- This is 100% increase over stock

D330-0026 F87 M2 Dinan = 407 in^3 (front) + 377 in^3 (rear) = 784 in^3
-- This is 91% increase over stock

Quote:
Originally Posted by QM View Post
Dinan web site lists Fields as a Dinan dealer. There is another one listed as well I believe (Patrick?). Try one of those. If you do please post the details.
Fields is new but have been very gung-ho out of the gate. You also have Patrick, Laurel for dealerships and Fall Line Motorsports and Bavarian Auto Werke for independents.
Appreciate 2
SeanWRT3179.00
QM287.00
      01-11-2017, 05:20 PM   #179
njw
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M2 - LBB/6MT/Exec

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer28312 View Post
Local dealer is charging $1400 to have the turbo, intercooler, and tune installed only. That's $5600 for parts and labor.
Quote:
My local dinan dealer quoted me at $1355 for installation of everything in the P2 power package except for the exhaust (I already have the MPE and this is already expensive enough as-is lol). Figured the rest of you guys might want a rough idea of what it would cost to install. (and I'm sure it can vary greatly from one dealer to another)
Similar enough here in SoCal, as l aready have the MPE as well. Total all in (parts, labor, tax) was $6750. Pricing breakdown was $4870 for parts (per Dinan website for tune, turbo, intake, and intercooler) $1440 for labor (per Dinan website for 12hrs recommended) and $400-ish for CA tax.

My biggest debate now is:
1) spend the $6K now plus better tires to handle the power.
2) keep power the same, maybe do suspension/camber plates for track days
3) be happy with what I have for now, wait on comp pkg, trade my '16 M2 then add Dinan tune to the S55 (if it even needs it)

Unfortunately I have that mod bug that keeps going around...
      01-11-2017, 07:31 PM   #180
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2

I pick the car up tomorrow. So excited. Unfortunately, today was in the 60's and would've been perfect for testing it out, but they said it's their first one so it's taking them longer than expected. What sucks is that tomorrow will be around 30 degrees out so I won't have the grip to really get a feel for it
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2017, 07:58 PM   #181
No Boost
enthusiasm > practicality
United_States
Rep
Drives: 987 CS | G35x

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by njw View Post
1) spend the $6K now plus better tires to handle the power.
This
Appreciate 0
      01-12-2017, 12:49 PM   #182
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Got the car back. FMIC looks awesome through the front bumper. The intake looks good but I don't hear much of its noise over the MPE even with the valves closed. (Not necessarily a bad thing). As for performance, it's 25 degrees F outside so traction is limited but all I can say is that it feels like an ICBM on wheels. I don't perceive any more turbo lag either but I've barely had a chance to drive it so far. Will report back once I get some warmer days to play around with
Appreciate 8
LBBDrew336.00
SeanWRT3179.00
njw58.00
toastie213.50
BruceM985.50
DrKevM52277.50
AngryBaby344.50
      01-12-2017, 01:29 PM   #183
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
Got the car back. FMIC looks awesome through the front bumper. The intake looks good but I don't hear much of its noise over the MPE even with the valves closed. (Not necessarily a bad thing). As for performance, it's 25 degrees F outside so traction is limited but all I can say is that it feels like an ICBM on wheels. I don't perceive any more turbo lag either but I've barely had a chance to drive it so far. Will report back once I get some warmer days to play around with
Thank you for the update, I have been waiting to hear your impressions!!!

I think the down pipe mods will give you more turbo noise than an intake (unless it's that crazy e-venturi deal). But I'll bet you could hear the turbo better with the window down

Please let us know how the car is once you get some traction...which might not be until spring :9
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 11:18 AM   #184
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: e39 M5

Quote:
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2017, 09:40 PM   #185
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Car is filthy, so be nice lol. It's rough living in the rust belt.

Appreciate 3
SeanWRT3179.00
No Boost4027.00
WolfGTI716.00
      01-13-2017, 11:59 PM   #186
BruceM
Major
Rep
Drives: '17 6MT MG M2,930,Jag XKR 5.0

Quote:
Car is filthy, so be nice lol. It's rough living in the rust belt.

That is not filthy. It's beautiful
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 12:11 PM   #187
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

If I get a 200 or 300 cell catted downpipe, will I benefit at all? I assume the Dinan tune is a canned tune in a piggyback? Is there or will there ever be support for aftermarket downpipe?
Appreciate 0
      01-14-2017, 03:19 PM   #188
switlikbob
Chuggin' Along
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 LBB ///M2

Quote:
If I get a 200 or 300 cell catted downpipe, will I benefit at all? I assume the Dinan tune is a canned tune in a piggyback? Is there or will there ever be support for aftermarket downpipe?
Read this page: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...270926&page=11

Dinan won't support another vendor's catted DP, and it seems like most of them besides the fabspeed model are throwing CEL's. However, I believe that even with the Dinan setup, you should see some gains with a DP. If nothing else, faster spool with the big turbo.
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:03 PM   #189
1bmwaddict
No music no life....
Rep
Drives: 22" F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by switlikbob View Post
Quote:
Read this page: http://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...26&page=11

Dinan won't support another vendor's catted DP, and it seems like most of them besides the fabspeed model are throwing CEL's. However, I believe that even with the Dinan setup, you should see some gains with a DP. If nothing else, faster spool with the big turbo.
What is CEL???????
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:23 PM   #190
Molez93
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4M, 2001 740i

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1bmwaddict View Post
What is CEL???????
Check Engine Light
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:27 PM   #191
1bmwaddict
No music no life....
Rep
Drives: 22" F95

Quote:
Originally Posted by Molez93 View Post
Quote:
What is CEL???????
Check Engine Light
Thank! But Bruh! I've been having engine light for some time. Sometimes the I can see the CEL, sometimes not. I have the PP tune, full fi exhaust system, and the eventuri intake. I think it's the catless. Every time I want to scan the car the engine light when off :
Appreciate 0
      01-15-2017, 10:38 PM   #192
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Here's a very short clip of me revving the car in the parking garage at work. You can hear the turbo through the intake. Sounds good! (I have MPE and ASD Bypass as well as the Dinan Stage 4)

The valves in the exhaust are closed in this video. (the sound would probably clip if I had it open--it's REAAAAAALLY loud inside of a parking garage with the valves open)

Appreciate 2
BruceM985.50
toastie213.50
      01-16-2017, 10:12 AM   #193
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Thank! But Bruh! I've been having engine light for some time. Sometimes the I can see the CEL, sometimes not. I have the PP tune, full fi exhaust system, and the eventuri intake. I think it's the catless. Every time I want to scan the car the engine light when off :
FI Exhaust has catless DP which explains your CEL.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 10:16 AM   #194
toastie
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Here's a very short clip of me revving the car in the parking garage at work. You can hear the turbo through the intake. Sounds good! (I have MPE and ASD Bypass as well as the Dinan Stage 4)

The valves in the exhaust are closed in this video. (the sound would probably clip if I had it open--it's REAAAAAALLY loud inside of a parking garage with the valves open)

+1, damn this doesn't help convince me not to upgrade. How is the driveability? I know Dinan markets their upgrades to be daily livable.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 11:39 AM   #195
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
You will yield more power. You are reducing the biggest roadblock in the system after all.

There will never be true support from Dinan on a downpipe. They are emissions illegal so supporting them (clearing CEL namely) would be subject to fines. The potential financial fallout is just not worth it to us. As I said though they will function fine, and yield some extra power but we will not tune specifically for them nor clear the associated CEL.
Appreciate 1
      01-16-2017, 12:54 PM   #196
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by toastie View Post
+1, damn this doesn't help convince me not to upgrade. How is the driveability? I know Dinan markets their upgrades to be daily livable.
Feels pretty normal until you get on it. The difference is pretty big under full acceleration. I see lots more TC light in lower gears and a lot more break-neck pull in the upper gears. I'll try to get a video of a good pull this week if weather permits.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 12:57 PM   #197
serrated
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
You will yield more power. You are reducing the biggest roadblock in the system after all.

There will never be true support from Dinan on a downpipe. They are emissions illegal so supporting them (clearing CEL namely) would be subject to fines. The potential financial fallout is just not worth it to us. As I said though they will function fine, and yield some extra power but we will not tune specifically for them nor clear the associated CEL.
Assuming my dealership is cool with it (which they seem to be fairly mod-friendly), if I got one of those catted ones, does Dinan void my warranty or do you guys even care that I have one? I'm only considering it because everyone is saying they aren't getting CELs with the catted ones
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2017, 01:01 PM   #198
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post

Assuming my dealership is cool with it (which they seem to be fairly mod-friendly), if I got one of those catted ones, does Dinan void my warranty or do you guys even care that I have one? I'm only considering it because everyone is saying they aren't getting CELs with the catted ones
Just go catless and get CEL delete wires from VSFR or the odb2 tool from armytrix. You'll be spending 1/2 the money and see twice the hp then if you were to get a "sport cat" for $1500 that will eventually throw you a CEL anyway