BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
M2 Technical Topics > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics > Active Sound Design (ASD) topics

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-13-2019, 08:48 AM   #727
mdonnelly
Registered
1
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 135i DINAN
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Greenwich CT

iTrader: (0)

installed the ASD bypass, did not take the black plastic off, took about 15 minutes end to end. its significantly quieter in the cabin now except for a drone at 3k rpm where there really is a lot of resonance / drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:38 AM   #728
jzip6116
Registered
jzip6116's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2017 AW M2
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omasou View Post
Are the flaps open?
Doesnít matter whether the flaps are open or not. Even in comfort mode there is still a bit of drone at 3k. Much better than before turning off the ASD tho.
Appreciate 0
      06-13-2019, 10:40 AM   #729
jzip6116
Registered
jzip6116's Avatar
Canada
2
Rep
4
Posts

Drives: 2017 AW M2
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I have the MPE and donít.
I guess Iíll get the Technic asd bypass as well then. Hopefully it gets rid of it.
Appreciate 1
DanG2233.00

      06-13-2019, 12:48 PM   #730
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
986
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jzip6116 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by DanG View Post
I have the MPE and don’t.
I guess I’ll get the Technic asd bypass as well then. Hopefully it gets rid of it.
You'll need to close the flaps.

Driving back from Monticello there was a stretch where I was holding a constant speed that kept me at 2300 RPM. I had to switch out of Sport+ into Comfort to close the flaps on my stock exhaust or loose my mind b/c of the constant drone.
Appreciate 0
      06-16-2019, 09:39 AM   #731
MR.
Colonel
MR.'s Avatar
No_Country
3771
Rep
2,709
Posts

Drives: BMW M2 Competition on order
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Travelling / Managing / Writing

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
In all honesty, I drove a M2 earlier this week and with the latest software the ASD is sooooo much more quiet. The difference is huge!

The total car has changed in its behavior, but that is a different story. Therefore I believe that cars with the latest software have a much better ASD tune and can decide not to have the ASD switched off.

MR
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 06:54 PM   #732
makeitbetter
Private
10
Rep
61
Posts

Drives: 2017 ///M2
Join Date: Nov 2018
Location: San Francisco, CA

iTrader: (0)

Strange Whine after Disabling ASD

So I had the ASD coded out when I was installing my LCI Gauge Cluster...now the strangest noise sounds like it is coming from the speakers. On hard acceleration, it creates a whining noise...has anyone else experienced this?

Sounds similar to a really high pitched howl from wind...My next step is to use the harness to de-activate the ASD all together, I certainly have enjoyed the car more without it.

-Mark
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2019, 07:29 PM   #733
boostm3
Major
boostm3's Avatar
573
Rep
1,499
Posts

Drives: '18 LBB M2 6MT Exec
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Hartford County

iTrader: (0)

Send a message via AIM to boostm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitbetter View Post
So I had the ASD coded out when I was installing my LCI Gauge Cluster...now the strangest noise sounds like it is coming from the speakers. On hard acceleration, it creates a whining noise...has anyone else experienced this?

Sounds similar to a really high pitched howl from wind...My next step is to use the harness to de-activate the ASD all together, I certainly have enjoyed the car more without it.

-Mark
Havent detected any superfluous sound using the harness.
__________________
Boostm3
'18 LBB MT M2 Exec pkg, Moonroof, Production 7/6/17
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2019, 09:04 AM   #734
CTSean
Second Lieutenant
145
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: LCI BSM MT M2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by makeitbetter View Post
So I had the ASD coded out when I was installing my LCI Gauge Cluster...now the strangest noise sounds like it is coming from the speakers. On hard acceleration, it creates a whining noise...has anyone else experienced this?

Sounds similar to a really high pitched howl from wind...My next step is to use the harness to de-activate the ASD all together, I certainly have enjoyed the car more without it.

-Mark
I read a bunch of reports of whine from coding out ASD. I went with the harness and there's no added noise as far as I can tell.
Appreciate 1
DanG2233.00

      06-18-2019, 10:42 AM   #735
DanG
Brigadier General
DanG's Avatar
United_States
2233
Rep
3,809
Posts

Drives: 2018 M2 AW DCT
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [4.87]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
I read a bunch of reports of whine from coding out ASD. I went with the harness and there's no added noise as far as I can tell.
I agree. The harness got rid of any trace of ASD.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2019, 01:42 PM   #736
omasou
Lieutenant Colonel
omasou's Avatar
United_States
986
Rep
1,921
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: US

iTrader: (3)

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
Just did the harness in the M2C
Appreciate 0
      06-29-2019, 03:40 PM   #737
mhanism
Captain
mhanism's Avatar
United_States
270
Rep
806
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Just coded off ASD using BimmerCode, a boy what an immediate difference. I read this in another post, but your don't realize how much noise is getting piped in until it's gone. The cabin is actually 'calmer' and quieter in many respects, and you only hear what is real. The car has a more analog and realistic experience sound wise. You can also hear more of the stereo and music, without a thin bit of ASD interference. It's as if a thin veil of buzzing and synthetic car noise has been removed from the car.

Total win IMO and coupled with an aftermarket exhaust system really grounds the car.
__________________
MY20 M2 Competition
MY16 M3 (Sold)
MY17 X3 35i M Sport
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:37 PM   #738
RichardInVenice
New Member
United_States
5
Rep
5
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Venice, CA, USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Just coded off ASD using BimmerCode.
any sign of the high-pitch sounds that others have complained about when doing it only via the app?
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2019, 08:44 PM   #739
mhanism
Captain
mhanism's Avatar
United_States
270
Rep
806
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2C
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Fremont, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RichardInVenice View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhanism View Post
Just coded off ASD using BimmerCode.
any sign of the high-pitch sounds that others have complained about when doing it only via the app?
Nope, none at all.
__________________
MY20 M2 Competition
MY16 M3 (Sold)
MY17 X3 35i M Sport
MY14 335i M Sport (Sold)
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2019, 04:41 AM   #740
floc
Private First Class
floc's Avatar
Italy
34
Rep
167
Posts

Drives: BMW M2
Join Date: Jul 2019
Location: Milano

iTrader: (0)

the adaptor is currently out of stock. Any hint on when it will be available again?
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 11:33 AM   #741
ricko32
New Member
United_States
8
Rep
12
Posts

Drives: F87 M2C
Join Date: May 2019
Location: under the radar

iTrader: (0)

Put an ASD harness in my M2C a couple of days ago.
So much better!
I think the crappy audio system even sounds better.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 01:49 PM   #742
Infamus
Private
Infamus's Avatar
74
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
so excuse the newbee BMW question... I have read this entire thread and from what I gather this ASD is no more than a white noise filter correct? that is why everyone is stating that they can hear more road noise. White noise filter are used to cancel out noise with noise, so in essence are we not making the noise more noticeable now?

BTW dont no need to flame just an honest question... I'm new to BMW mostly a benz and chevy owner. I know that in my 1LE camaro there was a sound tube but all that did was magnify the engine noise. It did not transmit white noise. This dose not seem to be the case with ASD...
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2019, 03:12 PM   #743
CTSean
Second Lieutenant
145
Rep
244
Posts

Drives: LCI BSM MT M2
Join Date: Dec 2018
Location: CT

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Infamus View Post
so excuse the newbee BMW question... I have read this entire thread and from what I gather this ASD is no more than a white noise filter correct? that is why everyone is stating that they can hear more road noise. White noise filter are used to cancel out noise with noise, so in essence are we not making the noise more noticeable now?

BTW dont no need to flame just an honest question... I'm new to BMW mostly a benz and chevy owner. I know that in my 1LE camaro there was a sound tube but all that did was magnify the engine noise. It did not transmit white noise. This dose not seem to be the case with ASD...
ASD basically plays engine/exhaust noise through the speaker system. I only had mine active for a couple hundred miles before I put the harness in, but I found it very noticeable going from comfort to sport code. It was like hitting the LOUDNESS button on an old stereo - every got very boomy. It was pretty terrible and I'm glad it's gone.
Appreciate 1
Infamus74.00

      08-15-2019, 09:39 AM   #744
Infamus
Private
Infamus's Avatar
74
Rep
96
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2
Join Date: Aug 2019
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2017 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
ASD basically plays engine/exhaust noise through the speaker system. I only had mine active for a couple hundred miles before I put the harness in, but I found it very noticeable going from comfort to sport code. It was like hitting the LOUDNESS button on an old stereo - every got very boomy. It was pretty terrible and I'm glad it's gone.
thanks for the response and explanation. I guess I'm going to give it a shot and see first hand
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2019, 10:09 AM   #745
///Monika
Private First Class
49
Rep
154
Posts

Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2
Join Date: Jun 2018
Location: North America

iTrader: (0)

I believe these are back in stock as I was able to place an order this morning.

Monika

Quote:
Originally Posted by floc View Post
the adaptor is currently out of stock. Any hint on when it will be available again?
Appreciate 1
NOS4A217.00

      08-17-2019, 10:50 AM   #746
NOS4A2
Private
NOS4A2's Avatar
17
Rep
54
Posts

Drives: 2020 M2c
Join Date: Mar 2019
Location: NoVa

iTrader: (0)

+1 To ///Monika, I see them available (https://technicpnp.com/product/asd-bypass-harness/) if that's the link.

Was there a change with the coding/tuning on the ASD recently? When I had my '20 M2C I don't think I heard much if anything.

I think I remember Shmarc MR. making mention of that as well.

I could also just be going deaf, anyone else experience similar?
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2019, 11:19 AM   #747
jkoral
Major
United_States
303
Rep
1,309
Posts

Drives: 2017 M2 LBB 6MT
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: MA

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOS4A2 View Post
Was there a change with the coding/tuning on the ASD recently? When I had my '20 M2C I don't think I heard much if anything.

I think I remember Shmarc MR. making mention of that as well.

I could also just be going deaf, anyone else experience similar?
Many folks claiming the latest ISTEP version has reduced ASD in OG M2s. I'm going to hold off on bypass (or coding off) ASD until I get that version flashed.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2019, 07:45 PM   #748
Oldgreyman
Registered
0
Rep
2
Posts

Drives: 2017 Mineral Grey M2
Join Date: Jun 2019
Location: Australia

iTrader: (0)

I have a 2017 manual M2 and after reading thru this thread i am definitely going to do a test drive after pulling the fuse to see what the difference is like.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:55 PM.




m2
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST