BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Wheels / Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Mismatched tires advice

02-16-2024, 10:56 AM   #1
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Hey guys,
I noticed that my new to me M2 has mismatched tires. It has brand new Pilot Sport All Season 4 on the rear wheels and Pilot Sport 4S summer tires on the front. The All Seasons are only a month old. The PS4s were mounted in January 2022 as far as I can tell on the Carfax report. They have plenty of life left. I would take it back to the dealership I bought it from but they’re in Texas and I’m in California and they’re so similarly named that it really does look like an honest mistake. So what advice would you guys give me? As far as I can see I have the following options:

1. Keep driving until a set has to be replaced and then get a matching set

2. Get brand new Pilot Sport All Seasons for the front and sell my used PS4s

3. Get brand new PS4s for the rear and sell the all season tires

I’m leaning towards option 2 but I’d appreciate any input! Also I live in SoCal so I’d be fine with summer or all season tires year round
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 11:40 AM   #2
hihowareyougood
Private
Rep
Drives: F87 M2 LCI

If you intend on track days, canyon carving, and spirited driving in general, I'd recommend getting a matching set of summer tires since the A/S 4 will behave quite differently than the PS4S when pushed in any meaningful manner. If you're going on Sunday drives with the family and general cruising around town, then I don't think it really matters. And of course, be a tad bit more cautious in the wet. Either way, congrats on the purchase and have fun!
      02-16-2024, 11:52 AM   #3
CTSean
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LCI BSM MT M2

Definitely #3. Having notably less traction in the rear seems like a bad idea
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 11:57 AM   #4
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CTSean View Post
Definitely #3. Having notably less traction in the rear seems like a bad idea
Yes but the rears are less than a month old whereas the summers on front are a couple years old. If they were equal age it would be a no brainer but that’s what’s tripping me up
Appreciate 0
      02-16-2024, 02:32 PM   #5
jefe2000
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
I was in a similar spot a couple years back when I purchased my M2 from Carmax. The car had half-used Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02’s (summer) on the front and brand new Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06’s (all-season) on the rears. Carmax had put the new rear tires on prior to putting the car on their retail lot.

Having just purchased the car, I wasn’t also in the financial position to purchase two or four new tires, so I let it be and pushed the decision ‘til later when the fronts are done.

These Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires are quite good (for my style of driving — daily, canyon and backroads, no track). I may just get new ones for the fronts. Though, I keep reading such good things about the PS4S’s…
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 02:35 PM   #6
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by jefe2000 View Post
I was in a similar spot a couple years back when I purchased my M2 from Carmax. The car had half-used Conti ExtremeContact Sport 02’s (summer) on the front and brand new Conti ExtremeContact DWS 06’s (all-season) on the rears. Carmax had put the new rear tires on prior to putting the car on their retail lot.

Having just purchased the car, I wasn’t also in the financial position to purchase two or four new tires, so I let it be and pushed the decision ‘til later when the fronts are done.

These Conti ExtremeContact DWS tires are quite good (for my style of driving — daily, canyon and backroads, no track). I may just get new ones for the fronts. Though, I keep reading such good things about the PS4S’s…
Yeah sounds like you were in a nearly identical position as me. I was ready to buy some tires but then my chargepipe blew up so now I have to get that replaced and wait on tires for a few weeks. I too am broke right now having just bought the car 🥲
Appreciate 1
jefe2000739.50
      02-16-2024, 05:50 PM   #7
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Answer is obvious; do a continuous burnout until the rears explode, then buy the proper PS4Ss for the rear!
      02-16-2024, 05:50 PM   #8
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Answer is obvious; do a continuous burnout until the rears explode, then buy a the proper PS4Ss for the rear!
I’m still looking for a big empty parking to practice in 😂
Appreciate 1
      02-16-2024, 06:00 PM   #9
Fred Conoway
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 F87 M2 Competition

Garage List
Practice makes perfect!

But in all seriousness, are the pilot all season 4s the correct size? (265/35 R19 or similar). You could potentially sell them on FB marketplace or eBay to recoup some of you costs and buy the correct 4Ss to replace them. But if you are really strapped for cash, I personally would just run them until they are ready for replacement.

As stated above, you'll probably have to be somewhat cautious around the throttle, but otherwise you should be fine. Slide around, don't be afraid to have a good time, and then you'll just wear them out faster!
      02-16-2024, 06:13 PM   #10
asiflicious
Captain
Afghanistan
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred Conoway View Post
Practice makes perfect!

But in all seriousness, are the pilot all season 4s the correct size? (265/35 R19 or similar). You could potentially sell them on FB marketplace or eBay to recoup some of you costs and buy the correct 4Ss to replace them. But if you are really strapped for cash, I personally would just run them until they are ready for replacement.

As stated above, you'll probably have to be somewhat cautious around the throttle, but otherwise you should be fine. Slide around, don't be afraid to have a good time, and then you'll just wear them out faster!
Yeah they’re the correct size. Once I get my chargepipe and FMIC replaced and save up a bit more money I may decide to replace the rears and sell them or just burn through them quickly. In the meantime I’ll continue my search for a good practice spot 😎
Appreciate 1