BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Dyno stock M2 comp Special edition

05-14-2021, 01:03 PM   #67
dc_rivers
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C AW

Garage List
2019 Audi RS3  [0.00]
2020 GMC Sierra  [0.00]
2019 BMW M2  [0.00]
OP aint coming back. He didn't get the same numbers or anywhere near the same numbers. Otherwise he would be in here posting his results.
Appreciate 2
      05-17-2021, 03:49 PM   #68
Bumpinjeep
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 M2

Garage List
2023 M2  [8.00]
Come on man! What are the real numbers?
      05-17-2021, 07:47 PM   #69
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bumpinjeep View Post
Come on man! What are the real numbers?
Rumor has it that he spun his crank hub on the dyno, then traded it in on a new Veloster.
      05-17-2021, 11:34 PM   #70
zatchmo
Private
Rep
Drives: 11 328xi

My money is on less power now.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2021, 08:04 PM   #71
Godfather2112
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW M2

OP is trying to learn photoshop to change the tq graph line.

It’s amazing how much humility people. It’s okay to be wrong and admit you were wrong.
Appreciate 2
      05-19-2021, 02:16 AM   #72
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

It sounded to me like the OP trusted the figures from the dyno run. That's a reasonable stance for someone that knows no better. After all, the evidence he had pointed to a clean run.
No different to the masses that believe BMW under rate because of phoney over reading dyno brands popular in some parts. :
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:25 AM   #73
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2 Competiton

Quote:
Originally Posted by dc_rivers View Post
OP aint coming back. He didn't get the same numbers or anywhere near the same numbers. Otherwise he would be in here posting his results.
But my SpeCial EdiTiOnZzzzZ has more powa.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 09:11 AM   #74
Steelguin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C HHS/DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
It sounded to me like the OP trusted the figures from the dyno run. That's a reasonable stance for someone that knows no better. After all, the evidence he had pointed to a clean run.
No different to the masses that believe BMW under rate because of phoney over reading dyno brands popular in some parts. :
It would seem BMW did under rate as all the "legit" dynos I have seen seem to put the M2C around 430WHP
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #75
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steelguin View Post
Quote:
It would seem BMW did under rate as all the "legit" dynos I have seen seem to put the M2C around 430WHP
On a dynojet in STD mode? Those are 'my lil ponies' not real horses. Check my WHP graph earlier in this thread. 357whp, that's legit.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 02:09 PM   #76
Throttlemonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Please not again You can confidently say a healthy stock M2c will make somewhere in the region of 405bhp-420bhp CRANK dependant on air temperature/density, fuel quality etc. Anything outside of that and common sense would have you question how accurate that specific dyno is. Stating 430bhp at the wheels sounds a bit silly. Dyno's should be used as a tuning tool but even then I believe it affects the credibility of tuning companies using inflated numbers from their rigs.

These guys have a great reputation in the UK and also happens to dyno a M2c.

Appreciate 0
      05-19-2021, 03:27 PM   #77
Moflow
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2C 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemonkey View Post
Please not again You can confidently say a healthy stock M2c will make somewhere in the region of 405bhp-420bhp CRANK dependant on air temperature/density, fuel quality etc. Anything outside of that and common sense would have you question how accurate that specific dyno is. Stating 430bhp at the wheels sounds a bit silly. Dyno's should be used as a tuning tool but even then I believe it affects the credibility of tuning companies using inflated numbers from their rigs.

These guys have a great reputation in the UK and also happens to dyno a M2c.

I agree with you in general, but it should be noted that that's a Euro Spec M2 Comp on the dyno which runs different boost levels from non-OPF versions (though they should make roughly equal horsepower.)

Depending on where you are that may or may not be exactly representative of what you've got.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 04:17 AM   #78
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moflow View Post
I agree with you in general, but it should be noted that that's a Euro Spec M2 Comp on the dyno which runs different boost levels from non-OPF versions (though they should make roughly equal horsepower.)

Depending on where you are that may or may not be exactly representative of what you've got.
EU Spec has more boost, but also 2 OPF. It's the same output.
430 at the wheels is telling me the dude has absolutely no clue what he is talking about. No wonder with that nickname tbh.
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2021, 10:24 PM   #79
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 Comp. SpecialEdition

Things got busy for me and never made it. You all have many jokes and all are much comedians. Dyno will be tomorrow morning same time and looking like the same temp as last run. Tomorrow everyone will have the aa midpipe numbers difference

But like I stated before. I could dyno every dyno in my state same results and everyone here would have something smart to say. Engines are made within tolerance. The tighter the tolerance in moving parts the different the output. This is why many companies over rate or under rate. That way they are within tolerance. And first special on the dyno. Post was meant for the baseline and power difference.

For the ones who are here for the AA midpipe difference which was the origins of this post thank you as I'll post the results for anyone interested around noon. Eastern guys will see it a few hours later. I apologize for the hold up but car sounds amazing !!
      05-21-2021, 01:24 AM   #80
Throttlemonkey
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M2 competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post
Things got busy for me and never made it. You all have many jokes and all are much comedians. Dyno will be tomorrow morning same time and looking like the same temp as last run. Tomorrow everyone will have the aa midpipe numbers difference

But like I stated before. I could dyno every dyno in my state same results and everyone here would have something smart to say. Engines are made within tolerance. The tighter the tolerance the more power. And first special on the dyno. Post was meant for the baseline and power difference.

For the ones who are here for the AA midpipe difference which was the origins of this post thank you as I'll post the results for anyone interested around noon. Eastern guys will see it a few hours later
I mean with yours being a special edition it would be cool if it made more than a regular M2. I think the only way you'd silence critics would be to throw it on a different dyno for comparison. I had a similar situation - my stock M2c made 455bhp (or so I thought) on its first run then realised the car had 'climbed' in the rollers - ran again at it made 412bhp. Interested to see what gains come from a mid pipe.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:13 AM   #81
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Throttlemonkey View Post
I mean with yours being a special edition it would be cool if it made more than a regular M2. I think the only way you'd silence critics would be to throw it on a different dyno for comparison. I had a similar situation - my stock M2c made 455bhp (or so I thought) on its first run then realised the car had 'climbed' in the rollers - ran again at it made 412bhp. Interested to see what gains come from a mid pipe.
Special content, not special edition. Whoever thinks there is the slightest difference on the engine is clueless.
Being the first "special content" edition means the same as being the 10000th M2C.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 03:16 AM   #82
Ratcher
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecialEdition_F87 View Post

But like I stated before. I could dyno every dyno in my state same results and everyone here would have something smart to say. Engines are made within tolerance. The tighter the tolerance in moving parts the different the output. This is why many companies over rate or under rate. That way they are within tolerance. And first special on the dyno. Post was meant for the baseline and power difference.
I work on the car industry, so I may know a thing or two about that.
And tolerances are relevant for a couple of hp here and there. 430whp is NEVER achievable on an M2C with just tolerances. It would have to be intentional, which we by now know it isn't the case. The fact you assume it is shows how little you know and how late to the party you are.

With this said, I will be silent until we see some dragy times corrected (both ways)
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 08:28 AM   #83
Manny01
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW M2

The simplest solution is to go to another, reputable dyno shop. Why wouldn't you at this point?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 10:10 AM   #84
akkando
Major General
Rep
Drives: 17 M2 DCT LBB,11 e90 M3 ZCP IB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
The simplest solution is to go to another, reputable dyno shop. Why wouldn't you at this point?
The better solution is have someone else with a stock m2c use the same dyno. Then we would know who has a magic engine and who doesn't.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2021, 12:27 PM   #85
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Finished up at sheepy race this morning.
Total of 3 runs! 1st off extremely impressed with the consistency of the WHP on all 3 runs with the midpipe compared to without. The WHP of my first 3 runs last month was 412whp with an average of 499wtq between the 3 runs.

With the new midpipe the hp was more consistent and averaged 411whp between the 3 runs and the torque averaged 494wtq. So I lost about 5wtq with the midpipe which was to be expected and hp stayed relatively the same within tolerance only loss of 1whp but many factors are at play obv a month apart.

I have attached the 2 runs as I didn't take a photo of the 1st run which was my lowest.

Run 1: 410whp, 491wtq
Run 2: 411whp, 504wtq
Run 3: 413whp, 488wtq

Loss of 5wtq with the new midpipe but that's to be expected on a stock car. The small loss in torque is well worth the purchase as the sound is incredible on a dyno. Which translates to how it may sound to others on real road conditions. Incredible

*** Note ***
Since last run I've added 10mm wheel spacers on the rear don't know if this makes a difference. Maybe Whp without the spacers would have been +3 on average from last months run.

Regardless those in the market will lose a small amount of torque but you won't even be able to tell. Placebo will probably make it feel faster with how much louder and aggressive the exhaust note is.

Up next: I will be doing a CSF front and top mount on the stock tune and report back with the numbers.

Stay tuned (:
Attached Images

05-21-2021, 01:30 PM   #86
KevinC
your average JAMF
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 M2 Comp, '19 Golf R

Garage List
Quote:

05-21-2021, 02:24 PM   #87
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinC View Post
Quote:

You mean the m2 comp with e85 in the tank? Yeah 430 seems about right with a few gallons of e85. Enough to keep trims happy. It's been documented many cars putting 423-430 with e85 stock
      05-21-2021, 02:28 PM   #88
M2_MEDUSA
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by akkando View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Manny01 View Post
The better solution is have someone else with a stock m2c use the same dyno. Then we would know who has a magic engine and who doesn't.
Good point I'll set it up.