BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW M2 Forum > BMW M2 Discussions > 30K Need new rear pads?

08-04-2020, 01:12 PM   #1
pb335d
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

30K Need new rear pads?

Sensor just popped on the rear brake pads at 30K miles...no warning from the computer which was telling me 80K...

Anyone had their brakes wear down so quickly? (I don't track the car).

Anyone recommend a certain replacement pad?

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 02:44 PM   #2
AndrewC1989
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 328d xDrive

Garage List
Did you check the pad thickness to confirm? If not it could just be a faulty wear sensor.
Appreciate 1
      08-04-2020, 03:44 PM   #3
pb335d
Rep

Yeah thats what i thought at first, but the dealer said 2mm on the rears..8mm on the front
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 09:58 PM   #4
Anthony1s
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2018 Mineral Grey M2

I believe traction control uses the rear brakes to control what wheels get power, so that may be another reason for pad wear.
Appreciate 0
      08-04-2020, 11:12 PM   #5
Poochie
Luxury at the redline :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

It's possible, I'm not OD hard on my brakes but I do live in the city, with a fair amount of stop and go traffic.. Stuff wear out :

Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 03:07 AM   #6
tranck
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 Alpine White BMW M2

Garage List
2018 M2  [0.00]
I have 62K on my car and a recent service check didn't indicate the mm left but the tech said both front and rear pads were fine.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 04:47 AM   #7
Megator
Captain
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony1s View Post
I believe traction control uses the rear brakes to control what wheels get power, so that may be another reason for pad wear.

The ESP definitely uses the brakes (mainly the rear) to keep you pointing in the right direction. If the rears have worn before the fronts then its likely from the ESP running overtime.

I am 99% certain the M2/3/4 dont use brake based torque vectoring as you suggest. The M2/3/4 have the active M diff which can accomplish a similar result without using the brakes. This is also what makes the car tail happy.

If you brake the inner wheels the car will want to rotate more into the corner, if you lock the rear wheels with the diff you accomplish the same thing by sending more power to the outer wheels.

The downside to brake based TQ vectoring is that you "slow" the car down (not in lap times as it allows you to corner harder than you otherwise could) and it will overheat your brakes. The downside to a locking diff is that the inside wheel will also be sped up and want to push the rear end wide into a drift (if you use to much power).

TO OP used MDM and slide around a lot?
      08-05-2020, 08:53 AM   #8
pb335d
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Megator View Post
The ESP definitely uses the brakes (mainly the rear) to keep you pointing in the right direction. If the rears have worn before the fronts then its likely from the ESP running overtime
TO OP used MDM and slide around a lot?
This is very interesting because I have been running on some badly worn rear conti tires....so the esp may have been inadvertently active causing the brake wear...
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:31 PM   #9
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb335d View Post
This is very interesting because I have been running on some badly worn rear conti tires....so the esp may have been inadvertently active causing the brake wear...
More than likely. I have read, and somewhat experinced, that on track in MDM the pads wear evenly front to rear and in ESP off the fronts go in half the time of the rears.

But check em as the wear system is screwy.
      08-05-2020, 02:35 PM   #10
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

The ESP definitely uses the brakes (mainly the rear) to keep you pointing in the right direction. If the rears have worn before the fronts then its likely from the ESP running overtime.

I am 99% certain the M2/3/4 dont use brake based torque vectoring as you suggest. The M2/3/4 have the active M diff which can accomplish a similar result without using the brakes. This is also what makes the car tail happy.
The system still uses the rear brakes actively, not solely for torque-vectoring but for stability control also.

I can see them wearing out at 30k, depending on the driving conditions.
Appreciate 0
      08-05-2020, 02:41 PM   #11
Megator
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poochie View Post
The system still uses the rear brakes actively, not solely for torque-vectoring but for stability control also.

We've been through this and you could never provide a source on torque vectoring.

ESP is another matter and there ofc the brakes are used.

Its a subtle distinction, one is to keep you from ducking up (ESP/ stability control) the other is to make you faster round a corner (torque vectoring).
      08-05-2020, 03:03 PM   #12
Poochie
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
The system still uses the rear brakes actively, [COLOR="DarkRed"]not solely for torque-vectoring but for stability control[/COLOR] also.

ESP is another matter and there ofc the brakes are used.

Its a subtle distinction, one is to keep you from ducking up (ESP/ stability control) the other is to make you faster round a corner (torque vectoring).
I'm agreeing with you, I simply stated the vehicle still uses the braking system for stability control, hence, if you drive aggressively, the brakes will wear out quicker.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      08-06-2020, 01:27 PM   #13
nachob
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2004 330i ZHP, 2022 Cayman T

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yes this is correct. With traction control enabled the brakes are applied to prevent wheel spin not for torque vectoring just to maintain traction.
Appreciate 1
Poochie9104.50
      08-06-2020, 01:52 PM   #14
pb335d
Rep

Well, I just did a 3500 mile trip....with badly worn tires...so maybe the stability control at the expense of the rear brakes saved my life a couple of time without me knowing....????
Appreciate 0