BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > N55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > How did your CSF intercooler fit?

10-03-2023, 09:41 PM   #67
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW M2 LCI

Asking us wouldn't help you coz we've done it before. Some more than once. It could be just 30 mins for some of us to 4 hrs. Depends on if you're all ready and nothing gets in the way. you might get snag on the removal of the pipes. Hard for someone to tell you that. Best is to have the necessary parts and tools nearby.
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 09:46 PM   #68
samsamdar
Captain
No_Country
Rep
Drives: OG M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [6.67]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr832 View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll watch a few videos on front bumper removal (but only do as much as you recommend). I plan to rent a lift at a local shop because I don't have a good spot to work at home. The lift is pay by the hour so how much time should I factor in if I do what you recommend (just the bumper part)?
I ended up using the included screws but upgraded washers btw - I impacted them in there tight asf so there’s zero play in the intercooler lol. But anyways it’s only 2 bolts on each side that secure the bumper to the fender. Then there’s the million 8 mm screws that secure the bottom of the bumper. It probably will take about 15-30 mins to get all the screws out for a first timer. Essentially you only wanna pull the bumper forward enough so that you can push the black plastic piece out of the way. I’m talking about the piece that sits under the intercooler and attaches to the bumper - you’ll see when you get to it. But basically the clearance between that plastic piece and the intercooler is super tight and makes it a pain to get the cooler up into place. That’s the only reason you want to pull the bumper out
Attached Images

10-03-2023, 10:06 PM   #69
mattr832
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
Asking us wouldn't help you coz we've done it before. Some more than once. It could be just 30 mins for some of us to 4 hrs. Depends on if you're all ready and nothing gets in the way. you might get snag on the removal of the pipes. Hard for someone to tell you that. Best is to have the necessary parts and tools nearby.
I'll have everything prepped and rent a lift for 5 hours. I think I can manage in that time especially since I'll have some friends with me. Just curious how long the bumper removal would take, if one were to go that route.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 10:08 PM   #70
mattr832
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by samsamdar View Post
I ended up using the included screws but upgraded washers btw - I impacted them in there tight asf so there’s zero play in the intercooler lol. But anyways it’s only 2 bolts on each side that secure the bumper to the fender. Then there’s the million 8 mm screws that secure the bottom of the bumper. It probably will take about 15-30 mins to get all the screws out for a first timer. Essentially you only wanna pull the bumper forward enough so that you can push the black plastic piece out of the way. I’m talking about the piece that sits under the intercooler and attaches to the bumper - you’ll see when you get to it. But basically the clearance between that plastic piece and the intercooler is super tight and makes it a pain to get the cooler up into place. That’s the only reason you want to pull the bumper out
Got it, this is super helpful. I'll most likely do this since clearing that black piece seems to be a PITA for most people.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2023, 10:50 PM   #71
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

If my memory serves right, the 2 screws (stocks) are kinda short and rather small (gauge). I went one size bigger and definitely longer....plus the washer. I wouldn't "impact" those in as the brackets (part 2 & 3) where they are screwed unto is made of fiber reinforced plastic only. I believe some describes that as C-channel. That's also what keeps the new FMIC from going forward/backward I believe. I didn't need to make my washer that big bec what I did was put a nut (drilled inside thread) acting as a spacer and it sits on the huge space of the CSF's tab. This prevented the FMIC from moving and squirming itself out of the washer. If u can imagine that.

stock screws are apparently M6x20. I likely went course thread (possibly bigger) and 30+mm which would be needed in holding that significantly heavier IC.

https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...7&postcount=48

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=17_0632
2018 BMW M2 LCI BM3 Stage 2 + MPE + FTP charge pipe + MST V2 Inlet + TurboSmart DV + CSF FMIC + AA Hi-flow Downpipe + Turner Rear Shifter Bushing + Wiechers Strut Brace + Bilstein B16 PSS10 + Apex VS-5RS

Last edited by vrooooom; 10-03-2023 at 10:57 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-04-2023, 07:54 AM   #72
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattr832 View Post
Did you ever get any allen-head bolts? If so, what size do you recommend?
I didn't, but I need to. Winter project.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:55 AM   #73
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

If you want to be OC about the screws then skip the Allen and get torx that’s zinc treated or stainless. I didn’t care (ok at the time I did) and got the screws that would hold it up without dropping the IC.

Along the line of screws, u may want to get extras of those 8mm ones. The ones directly under the bumper that’s holding that black plastic pc. Those things rust and they snap. Winters aren’t going to be kind to those screws. There must be around 8-10 of them under.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 08:57 AM   #74
///MPhatic
The Seeker
Rep
Drives: OG M2 • Exige

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrooooom View Post
If you want to be OC about the screws then skip the Allen and get torx that’s zinc treated or stainless. I didn’t care (ok at the time I did) and got the screws that would hold it up without dropping the IC.

Along the line of screws, u may want to get extras of those 8mm ones. The ones directly under the bumper that’s holding that black plastic pc. Those things rust and they snap. Winters aren’t going to be kind to those screws. There must be around 8-10 of them under.
The Allen's I get from McMaster are fantastic.

I don't drive my car in the Winter months, so rust isn't an issue for me, but I agree with you, there are several under the car that don't work well with Winter salt.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2023, 10:37 AM   #75
vrooooom
New BMW owner
Philippines
Rep

Message wasn’t meant for you /Mphatic. I know that much coz your car is always spanking clean. . You’re on a diff level of OCness I can’t even compare. there’s no winter here but humidity is very high.
Appreciate 1
///MPhatic13862.50