BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > S55 Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust / Bolt-ons / Tuning > Active Autowerke EL Mid Pipe Issues (M2C)

View Poll Results: What is your exhaust setup & are you experiencing the raspy "tin can" noise issue?
EL mid pipe (non-res) / stock axleback / no issue 3 5.88%
EL mid pipe (non-res) / stock axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 16 31.37%
EL mid pipe (res) / stock axleback / no issue 5 9.80%
EL mid pipe (res) / stock axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 3 5.88%
EL mid pipe (non-res) / aftermarket axleback / no issue 6 11.76%
EL mid pipe (non-res) / aftermarket axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 7 13.73%
EL mid pipe (res) / aftermarket axleback / no issue 4 7.84%
EL mid pipe (res) / aftermarket axleback / yes, my car has the same issue! 7 13.73%
Voters: 51. You may not vote on this poll

07-10-2021, 10:24 AM   #155
Driver87
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post
God damn, I'm glad I decided not to buy mine a few months ago when they called to finalize shipping. Even back then there was enough chirping to get me to back out. Never thought it would be this bad. Rasp, melted rear diffusers, figment issues.
I just installed the AA axle back added to my EL non res. Awesome. Fitment perfect. The big ass tips don't melt anything. Still not great until it gets warmed up, but well worth it.
There's a thread in here showing the muffler melting the rear diffuser, not the tips.
      07-10-2021, 03:47 PM   #156
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '19 M2C Hockenheim 6sp

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finz View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver87 View Post
God damn, I'm glad I decided not to buy mine a few months ago when they called to finalize shipping. Even back then there was enough chirping to get me to back out. Never thought it would be this bad. Rasp, melted rear diffusers, figment issues.
I just installed the AA axle back added to my EL non res. Awesome. Fitment perfect. The big ass tips don't melt anything. Still not great until it gets warmed up, but well worth it.
Awesome to hear….this is the route I'm inclined to follow, get the AA axle back to mate w/ my non res EL.

Any sound-clips? Do you have any raspiness < 2k rpm?
      07-10-2021, 04:58 PM   #157
Grfxguy
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by No_curebimmer View Post
So…to recap somewhat given the feedback received thus far.

The majority of raspiness reported is for non res AA EL + OEM muffler + Sport/Sport+ drive modes: very common to have raspiness/tinny sounds at startups and revving engine ~ 1.5 -2 k rpm, regardless of engine/cats' temperature

To some extent, having resonated AA EL + OEM muffler in Sport/+ seems to help w/ the raspiness (more resonated EL owners need to chime in to rule this as true).

Lastly, having an aftermarket axle back paired with either EL type does not seem to exhibit the raspiness.

Question: can resonators be added inline to the non-resonated mipipe, or they need to be manufactured that way? Wonder if we could order the resonators on their own…

Somehow I am not thrilled in having to spend on an aftermarket axle back exhaust (which typically costs more than non res EL itself) to fix an issue that the EL introduced…
Chiming in here with the EL non-res and the AA valves exhaust.

Mine exhibits all the same raspiness issues. Also, the polling system here is a bit broken. I mistakenly clicked and can't seem to change my vote.

My cold start is embarrassing, especially when starting in a public parking lot. It seems to be ok sometimes after being warmed up, and other times I get that same rasp around 2k rpm. I think it's a misnomer that aftermarket exhaust help quell the rasp. I think folks who have aftermarket exhausts tend to like things louder. I just want a more refined sound.

I wanted to get replacement parts to add the resonators to my setup to see if it helps. I've trying contacting AA a few times for this and other issues. My valves exhaust had some brackets that were badly bent and the right side exhaust tips are slightly angled towards each other so large tips touch each other.

All that said, it sounds pretty good much of the time. It's just very much not refined and makes it feel a bit cheap.
Appreciate 1
Driver87253.00
      07-10-2021, 08:47 PM   #158
pawelczyk7
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2020 bmw m2 comp 6spd

Quote:
Originally Posted by RafBsac View Post
I don’t have any kind of these issues and I’m an happy customer of a complete AA EL Res and axle-back exhaust !

Not all customers give (bad or good) feed-backs.
EL Non resonated and MPE and now a few weeks installed. no real issues to speak as called out on the forum. Super happy with the sound and have gotten a number of comments / compliments on the sound. last week a couple of guys flagged me down in a parking lot to look at the car etc. They said they heard me coming and thought it sounded GT3 ish coming down the road and surprised it was a S55 bmw etc. ( they were car guys as one had a nice RS3 and said he has a E46 he uses on the track). the sound from approx. 3 k and up is addicting and i spend a lot of time just rowing through the gears to hear the sound.. I dont think the EL and MPE have seen the issues called out and not sure if due to sample size etc. ( could be the $4500 price for the exhaust ) But i love the sound and think some of the best i have heard on Youtube etc. ( the M3 's that i heard with EL and MPE is what got me to change from the Single mid to the EL) i posted a few vids a couple weeks back on the forum and will try to get a few more soon with some open road and getting some higher revs and drive by. For the folks experiencing the sound and melting issues i hope there is a resolution that fixes and or at least mitigates the problem.
Appreciate 1
      07-11-2021, 03:19 PM   #159
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2 comp, LBB

This is the vibration at 3k rpm, this video is actually from another person who has a similar set up. I guess this is just how it will be with this combo. Not sure if it’s as clear in this video, but there’s a buzzz through the whole car.

https://youtube.com/shorts/Ye7tjpM1_RE?feature=share
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 04:53 PM   #160
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by photorph View Post
This is the vibration at 3k rpm, this video is actually from another person who has a similar set up. I guess this is just how it will be with this combo. Not sure if it’s as clear in this video, but there’s a buzzz through the whole car.

I don't get that.

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 05:24 PM   #161
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ESB View Post
Hey so No_curebimmer when you watched my long and boring "driving around with engine warm" video did you hear whatever sounds you're referring to?

Also: goddamn I should have recorded my cold start this morning. It was SOOOO SOOOO SOOOO bad. And my neighbor was outside at the time. So embarrassing lol. I have no clue what causes the cold start to be inconsistent (sometimes terrible sometimes meh sometimes flawless)

For me it's not a deal breaker since to my ears the car doesn't have issues once warm (99% of the time at least)

So no cure bimmer not to poke at you or keep disagreeing or seem annoying but I'd argue the poll is a bit misleading. Eg I voted "yes I have the issues" but in reality I believe I only have one of the two (cold start only, no issues most of the time once warm)

Anyways - I tend to agree that getting AA muffler will likely improve the situation across the board. I sincerely hope it fixes it for you and allows you to enjoy the midpipe as much as I do. And hopefully the muffler improves the sound even more! (rasp fix aside)
Yes, reviewed both of the vids you posted in the last week. The 2nd video (inside POV) sounds very similar to mine: windows up, in Sport+.

However, if purposefully try to rev the motor around 1,5k (and hover around it) I can pretty much reproduce the raspiness. As my mechanic confirmed, it seems to be caused my incompatibility between the now extra flowing midpipe (sans the OEM cats amd constrictors) and the OEM muffler/axle back. Adding some resonators 'should' help…

I took a looong as$ video while revving the entire range: there are clear rasps as the RPMs are building up through 1,5-1,8k rpm. I will post it shortly.

Please know this: once past 1,8k, the sound is glorious though…so this is definitely an improvement over stock, just want to minimize the low rpm raspiness. Nothing wrong with wanting to the make this as perfect as possible throughout the entire rpm range.
      07-11-2021, 05:31 PM   #162
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

Yes, this is the exact bad flatulence/vibration/tinny rasp that I have, except mine is around 1,5k rpm. This video shows 3k…

Again, if I modulate the throttle and hover around 1,5k, I can reproduce it pretty easily. What is really baffling is that it doesn't happen EVERY time it hits 1,5k - for me it's about 70% of the time. When it doesn't- it sounds perfect all the way to redline.

My mechanic thought it was a mechanical vibration whereas 2 pieces were resonating/hitting each other. But nope: nothing seemed loose - all was solid!
      07-11-2021, 05:40 PM   #163
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Well, on the fun sides of life: no luck for my nation, Sverige (Sweden) in Euro 2020 but the wife's family is sure happy…la famiglia della moglie è felice!!!

Viva l'Italia…que bella mascalzone!

PS sorry for all English fans…I know you waited for a looong time
Attached Images

07-11-2021, 06:22 PM   #164
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I don't get that.
Interesting…what’s your setup? Non-res EL paired with what?
Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 09:04 PM   #165
to_riffic
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: rwd

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by to_riffic View Post
I don't get that.
Interesting…what’s your setup? Non-res EL paired with what?
Res with Akra

Appreciate 0
      07-11-2021, 10:56 PM   #166
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Yes, this is the exact bad flatulence/vibration/tinny rasp that I have, except mine is around 1,5k rpm. This video shows 3k…

Again, if I modulate the throttle and hover around 1,5k, I can reproduce it pretty easily. What is really baffling is that it doesn't happen EVERY time it hits 1,5k - for me it's about 70% of the time. When it doesn't- it sounds perfect all the way to redline.

My mechanic thought it was a mechanical vibration whereas 2 pieces were resonating/hitting each other. But nope: nothing seemed loose - all was solid!
Mine is at 3k then, with resonated and an after market Remus exhaust. I guess the issue is still there then even with a resonated EL and remus exhaust just a higher rpm?
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:25 AM   #167
mike@x-ph.com
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Well, on the fun sides of life: no luck for my nation, Sverige (Sweden) in Euro 2020 but the wife's family is sure happy…la famiglia della moglie è felice!!!

Viva l'Italia…que bella mascalzone!

PS sorry for all English fans…I know you waited for a looong time

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      07-12-2021, 10:55 AM   #168
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Mine is at 3k then, with resonated and an after market Remus exhaust. I guess the issue is still there then even with a resonated EL and remus exhaust just a higher rpm?
Which Remus do you have, Sport or Race? Sport has some in line resonators that, in my mind at least, should help mitigate this issue, whereby Remus Race is pretty much 'empty pipes' so to speak.

I am going back & forth between ordering the AA valved axle back vs. Remus Sport.

Given this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...pe+Remus+SPort, it seems that there isn't any rasp reported with the single AA midpipe + Remus Sport axle back, so I presume that same will be applicable if we combine non-res AA EL + Remus Sport. By the same token, the AA valved exhaust doesn't look like it has any resonators...
      07-13-2021, 07:16 AM   #169
photorph
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Which Remus do you have, Sport or Race? Sport has some in line resonators that, in my mind at least, should help mitigate this issue, whereby Remus Race is pretty much 'empty pipes' so to speak.

I am going back & forth between ordering the AA valved axle back vs. Remus Sport.

Given this thread: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...pe+Remus+SPort, it seems that there isn't any rasp reported with the single AA midpipe + Remus Sport axle back, so I presume that same will be applicable if we combine non-res AA EL + Remus Sport. By the same token, the AA valved exhaust doesn't look like it has any resonators...
I have the Remus race but the resonated AA + EL. Getting the sport would be same volume as stock. Once warmed up my car is SLIGHTLY louder than stock, the cold start is noticeably louder but after warming up it’s not that loud and I would mot want quieter than that with sport.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 07:47 AM   #170
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Sound really is so subjective. I heard a Remus Race with unresonated pipes this weekend and it is loud but in a good way. The setup belonged to forum member iWayne. A great guy who took the time to let me bother him. To my ears, it is definitely way louder than stock. It would be hard (personally) to use that setup and not code out burbles. Without burbles it has a great, deep sound in efficient but no drone and definitely has a head turning presence in sport/sport+. I think the Remus Race paired with either the resonated or nonresonated midpipe is the way to go if you want a presence in either driving mode. Efficient is mean but not over bearing but you can obviously tell its not stock. But like I said, you really have to like burbles or code them out because it can be too much for some.

I've also heard the AA axle back paired also with the unresonated pipes and it too is noticeably louder than stock but not as loud as the Remus race. In efficient it might be close to stock but in sport and sport+ it really is a different animal and is also capable of turning heads. The setup belonged to forum member AM///M2C who is also a great guy who also took the time to let me bother him a few times. I think this setup or the Remus Sport is the way to go if you want efficient to stay closer to stock and sport/sport+ to be the modes that come alive. Burbles are livable with this setup but I can't comment on this setup without burbles which gives it that extra presence.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92

Last edited by Nicname; 07-13-2021 at 08:01 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 10:27 AM   #171
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Gang: here is a revving session I took after a long drive

- F87 M2C S55 motor
- non resonated AA EL midpipe
- OEM downpipes and axle back exhaust
- Drive mode Sport+
- coded burbles off (BimmerLink)
- valves always open (BimmerCode)

Suggest you listen with headphones...

Last edited by No_curebimmer; 07-13-2021 at 11:51 AM.. Reason: added more info
Appreciate 1
Drew41561.50
      07-13-2021, 11:13 AM   #172
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicname View Post
Sound really is so subjective. I heard a Remus Race with unresonated pipes this weekend and it is loud but in a good way. The setup belonged to forum member iWayne. A great guy who took the time to let me bother him. To my ears, it is definitely way louder than stock. It would be hard (personally) to use that setup and not code out burbles. Without burbles it has a great, deep sound in efficient but no drone and definitely has a head turning presence in sport/sport+. I think the Remus Race paired with either the resonated or nonresonated midpipe is the way to go if you want a presence in either driving mode. Efficient is mean but not over bearing but you can obviously tell its not stock. But like I said, you really have to like burbles or code them out because it can be too much for some.

I've also heard the AA axle back paired also with the unresonated pipes and it too is noticeably louder than stock but not as loud as the Remus race. In efficient it might be close to stock but in sport and sport+ it really is a different animal and is also capable of turning heads. The setup belonged to forum member AM///M2C who is also a great guy who also took the time to let me bother him a few times. I think this setup or the Remus Sport is the way to go if you want efficient to stay closer to stock and sport/sport+ to be the modes that come alive. Burbles are livable with this setup but I can't comment on this setup without burbles which gives it that extra presence.
I was supposed to meet up with you guys but couldn't make it. Did you guys go for a drive? Any rasp like everyone is saying
      07-13-2021, 11:58 AM   #173
Nicname
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
I was supposed to meet up with you guys but couldn't make it. Did you guys go for a drive? Any rasp like everyone is saying
We hung out for close to an hour and I went for a drive in his car. Its hard to focus in with such little time while talking and such but the few thoughts I had walking away were:

1. Cold start has a loud "pop" at start up which made me smile but did also catch me by surprise. I can see it startling someone under the right conditions
2. It really does have an amazing sound. I would say borderline too loud for me specifically and my needs (single car for the household). If it was a tad bit quieter I'd feel extremely confident going with that setup. Again, this is just me and my current situation with the car.
3. No rasp that I noticed on either start up or accelerating. Windows up we could easily talk to each other. Even with windows down but I'm just making a point that there is virtually no drone. I believe he did mention some slight drone at a very specific RPM but said there was none on highway driving. I didn't notice.
4. Efficient mode sounds amazing.
5. For me, no burbles would be the way to go with this setup. I can see it being way too much to cruise around a quiet neighborhood.
997.1 Turbo
///M3 E92
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2021, 12:10 PM   #174
Supadice
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2CS

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supadice View Post
We hung out for close to an hour and I went for a drive in his car. Its hard to focus in with such little time while talking and such but the few thoughts I had walking away were:

1. Cold start has a loud "pop" at start up which made me smile but did also catch me by surprise. I can see it startling someone under the right conditions
2. It really does have an amazing sound. I would say borderline too loud for me specifically and my needs (single car for the household). If it was a tad bit quieter I'd feel extremely confident going with that setup. Again, this is just me and my current situation with the car.
3. No rasp that I noticed on either start up or accelerating. Windows up we could easily talk to each other. Even with windows down but I'm just making a point that there is virtually no drone. I believe he did mention some slight drone at a very specific RPM but said there was none on highway driving. I didn't notice.
5. For me, no burbles would be the way to go with this setup. I can see it being way too much to cruise around a quiet neighborhood.
Volume isn't really an issue for me. I'm coming from an OG with Catless Akra and I never drove in efficient. I'm more concerned with the buzzing, rasp at 2k 3k like some people are saying. I would be putting this on a CS so no burbles or pops I gotta make a date with Wayne to hear it in person. It's just doesn't seem consistent. There's another member here with same setup and his sounds perfect. I think it does come down to install. It's crazy that one person is saying that it's a tad bit louder than stock, I can't believe that. Everyone says the opposite. I'll just make my own assessment. But good to hear that you think it sounds good. BkackMist has a thread up with videos
      07-13-2021, 12:12 PM   #175
No_curebimmer
~Spyder
Sweden
Rep

Garage List
Quote:

All this is soo very true!

Also wanted to give a HUGE SHOUT-OUT to Mike@x-ph and Andrew@Active: definitely fantastic individuals, representing awesome companies.

Cliff notes of our conversations:

- none of this 'raspy-issue' was by design, as the M2C test cars didn't exhibit during design and internal UAT testing
- it baffles everyone why with the latest batch (June timeframe) all of the sudden this issue started popping up - there was no design or manufacturing change from the earlier batches
- what is really even more of a head-scratcher, is that all of these issues:
1. occur at low RPMs, where there shouldn't be sufficient backpressure to create any unwanted internal vibrations
2. with Sport or Sport+ modes only. At least for me, Efficient mode doesn't exhibit this issue...which may lead to an OEM parts or tuning issue.

So, yesterday, I ended up ordering a "resonator kit" for my non-resonated AA EL midpipe; I will install that in the next week or so to see if my raspiness/flatulence ~1,5k RPM gets resolved.

Regardless, per Andrew & Mike, they both seem to think that the raspiness problem is related to the OEM backbox, so likely I will end up getting the AA valved exhaust and/or AA's upcoming downpipes as well...
      07-13-2021, 01:39 PM   #176
iWayne
///M2
United_States
Rep
Drives: M2C

Quote:

Oh hey, been swamped but just an update after driving around w/ the Remus Race & AA EL Non-Res mid-pipes:
1) I'm not a fan of the burbles, so I coded that out w/ BimmerLink, just my personal preference
2) Cold starts - I hate them. When starting from overnight, I do hear that tinny noise other guys are experiences, however it goes away once that cold roar goes away.
3) Once warm, can't say there's that tinny/rasp noise but when you're using more throttle angle then left off or upshift, the brrrap noise you have with the stock system is much accentuated with this one. Some might like it, I don't. Over than that, it really does have a nice smooth sound to it part throttle across the rpm range.
4) Overall volume, windows up it's prob about right. There might be a very slight drone at around 3k rpm but would think most enthusiasts would like it. I mean, I even like hanging out there sometimes just to hear it. Windows down, it's not conservative when WOT. At light part throttle, you can almost make it stock silent.

I wouldn't mind trying the resonators but it would require some welding in my application but I don't think it fixes that cold start tinniness. Guess I gotta wait till they crack 2021 DMEs to code that out. Overall, I can live with it but I'm not fully satisfied that that cold start issue however minimal it is. If I can hear a AA single midpipe w/ Remus Race in person, that would be great.
Appreciate 0