BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB | Recalls > OBD II Reader Scanner

01-03-2024, 11:35 PM   #1
look585
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M2CS

Garage List
2020 BMW M2 CS  [10.00]
OBD II Reader Scanner

Hey guys.

What is the OBD scanner, reader, reset tool of choice here?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 12:29 AM   #2
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Bmw M2

I would use protool with the master license, it'll give you coding, obd2 code reading with the ability to read bmw specific codes, reset codes, and even data logging.

I have a review for it: https://f87.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh....php?t=2003707

If you want an even more "hard core" tool, then you can get ISTA which is bmw's dealership level diagnostics tool. It has a much higher learning curve though, and can only be run on a windows machine.
chris7197334.00
      01-04-2024, 07:53 PM   #3
tux2005
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2

ISTA should technically give you all the diagnostic tools you need but it's definitely not the easiest.

If you're on iOS, I have liked BimmerLink, it gives I think a little more than an entirely generic OBD2 tool (e.g. DashCommand) + ELM bluetooth module. It's from the same people that make BimmerCode which I haven't personally used but remember being mentioned frequently in the past for coding rather than going to E-Sys.

I think Protool looks like it probably combines both BimmerLink and BimmerCode, and maybe improves on them? I'm not in the Android ecosystem so can't really tell. BimmerCode and BimmerLink do have limitations on E-series chassis BMWs, for example which may be a consideration.
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2024, 08:30 PM   #4
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tux2005 View Post
ISTA should technically give you all the diagnostic tools you need but it's definitely not the easiest.

If you're on iOS, I have liked BimmerLink, it gives I think a little more than an entirely generic OBD2 tool (e.g. DashCommand) + ELM bluetooth module. It's from the same people that make BimmerCode which I haven't personally used but remember being mentioned frequently in the past for coding rather than going to E-Sys.

I think Protool looks like it probably combines both BimmerLink and BimmerCode, and maybe improves on them? I'm not in the Android ecosystem so can't really tell. BimmerCode and BimmerLink do have limitations on E-series chassis BMWs, for example which may be a consideration.
Yeah that's right, protool essentially combines bimmercode and bimmer link, but the coding side of it is much more capable because it can code anything esys can unlike bimmercode which is pretty heavily limited for liability reasons (according to the developer when I asked). For example you can code traction control settings, power steering, and differential - and you can't code any of these things with bimmer code.

For me I have all 3 tools (protool, bimmer code and bimmer link) but prefer protool. If you're on iOS you can either buy a dedicated tablet for your car or just go with bimmercode and bimmer link. It's up to you.
tux2005234.00
      01-09-2024, 09:56 AM   #5
bmwstephen
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 95' M3, 17' M2

besides ista- can any of these tools do hardcore diagnostics like modulate hydraulics in ABS or DCT when servicing those?
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2024, 03:54 PM   #6
F87source
Major General
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwstephen View Post
besides ista- can any of these tools do hardcore diagnostics like modulate hydraulics in ABS or DCT when servicing those?
Some of the really expensive diagnostics computers could do it.