BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Blackline mirror indicator installed

08-17-2020, 02:21 PM   #1
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep
Drives: M2

Blackline mirror indicator installed

Originally had on the light grey option after installing autoid M2C style mirror caps.

However more recently wondered what going darker would look like, since I have the grilles and side gills in gloss black.

I'm sorta undecided but growing to like it.

Using the fob the amber seemed dramatically dimmer, weak even. Have yet to test actually indicating/hazards.

Obviously the very tip of the plastic indicator housing is still transparent clear, which is sorta irksome.

I may fold and try the ebay/aliexpress smoke dynamic sweep/audi style ones, even though I don't really care that my care has dynamic sweep as it isn't OEM but I won't see it myself anyway so....

Anyway, some pics for reference before and after:

Edit these are a real bitch to get right, can they just be made slightly longer and trimmed by end user with a scalpel.

Also on both generations I've had the fit at the nearest side to the car is not quite OEM fitment, very minimal though.

Can vouch for the vinyl quality though, prev ones on for over a year on the car and peeled them off still very sticky and tough feeling.

Last edited by 3t3p; 08-17-2020 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2020, 06:49 PM   #2
VisualEcho
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 M2 6MT

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [10.00]
Show me the tip that you mean.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 11:20 AM   #3
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Soo just tested hazards in daylight, the BMW indicator has ONE tiny looking amber LED

Basically now far too fim with this tint. Looking to get ebay/aliexpress tinted third party blinkers now. Alot which are sequential but don't really care for that, at least I won't see it myself anyway.

Can't recommend these.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:28 PM   #4
nioh_lbbm2
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3t3p View Post
Soo just tested hazards in daylight, the BMW indicator has ONE tiny looking amber LED

Basically now far too fim with this tint. Looking to get ebay/aliexpress tinted third party blinkers now. Alot which are sequential but don't really care for that, at least I won't see it myself anyway.

Can't recommend these.
I voiced the exact same issue to the owner of Blackline and got ignored. I saw lots of pics of these when they were first released and they block way too much light output for my comfort
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 03:30 PM   #5
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Only disadvantage I can see to aftermarket indicators is you can't see the indication from inside the cabin which may be strange.

Provided fitment is ok of course they seem orders of magnitude brighter.

Most are matte smoked though wish there were gloss black ones. Quite odd there aren't actually. Maybe they can be wet sanded down?!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2020, 10:25 PM   #6
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:

Only disadvantage I can see to aftermarket indicators is you can't see the indication from inside the cabin which may be strange.

Provided fitment is ok of course they seem orders of magnitude brighter.

Most are matte smoked though wish there were gloss black ones. Quite odd there aren't actually. Maybe they can be wet sanded down?!
I have the smoked sequencial indicators from aliexpress. They work great and are quite bright. Have a video on my instagram @detroitm2
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:06 PM   #7
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by detroitm2 View Post
I have the smoked sequencial indicators from aliexpress. They work great and are quite bright. Have a video on my instagram @detroitm2
Quite a few in there! Which ones? I might get them and wet sand/polish them gloss.

Think I saw your video somewhere when I did an internet search, nice and bright. Not on Instagram
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2020, 01:37 PM   #8
detroitm2
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
Quote:
Quite a few in there! Which ones? I might get them and wet sand/polish them gloss.

Think I saw your video somewhere when I did an internet search, nice and bright. Not on Instagram
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2020, 03:15 PM   #9
3t3p
Major
New Zealand
Rep

Indicating is dimmer but not as bad as I thought today on testing, gonna leave it for now.
Appreciate 0