M2 Technical Topics > Cosmetic Modifications > Dealer "Appearance Package"

09-02-2018, 11:15 PM   #1
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Dealer "Appearance Package"

I have an odd question to ask as I'm curious if others have had a similar situation.

My husband and I purchased my X3 in late July '18, then 2 weeks later we decided to buy the M2. The dealer had already installed a few carbon bits (spoiler and mirror caps) which was pretty cool. We put a deposit on the car and picked up the vehicle a week later. Oddly enough, the finance department comes over and thanks us for our second purchase and they'd like to give us a 4k package that consists of battery, windshield, key fob etc. replacement. Of course we're like OK, whatever (freebies right). Our focus was on the negotiated numbers and not this so called "complimentary gift".

Fast forward 1 month, we've racked up maybe 200 miles on the car and it's been washed twice. My husband did remove the wheels and ceramic coated them as well as the calipers and used Dlux on the fender liners. Our intent was always to find a reputable shop to Xpel wrap both cars so we held off on ceramic coating the paint on both our vehicles.

After much research, we found a great installer to wrap the entire front up to the doors, a-pillars, headlights and the entire area above the rear wheels (again, up to the doors). My husband and his sister drop off the vehicle this morning (Sunday) without incident. On their return from the shop (10 minutes), he gets a call from the installer asking if the paint had ever been ceramic coated. He indicated no, not that he was aware. So the conversation ends with the installer stating that he's going to have to remove the ceramic coating ($300).

So, when he got home we pulled all the paperwork and sure enough we locate paint protection in addition to the items they disclosed to us. Amazingly we didn't pay for this but apparently it was added as a $890 line item.

Is it normal for a dealer to just ceramic coat a vehicle and why would they give us anything for free? I checked the numbers and everything is legit and exactly as agreed prior to purchase. We have no idea what kind of ceramic coating was installed but the Xpel installer indicated that whomever did the work did an excellent job.

We told the installer to remove the coating which we hope isn't an intrusive paint procedure. The reviews for the installer were amazing (detailed photos of every install and lots of far more expensive cars) so I'd like to believe everything is on the up-and-up. Did the dealer just throw us a solid or what? So odd...

Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2018, 11:32 PM   #2
larry.beck
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2

Garage List
2018 BMW M2  [0.00]
It's pretty easy to tell when you try to put the film on the car and it won't stay in place because a ceramic coating is just too slick for it to stay. I think your dealer did you a solid.
      09-06-2018, 05:56 PM   #3
///Monika
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 X3 M40i & '18 M2

Exactly.... I appreciate the solid but it also cost us $300 to correct. It's just one of those situations where my husband and I appreciate these "gifts" but we'd like to decide when something like this is pre rather than post. We pretty much know what we're doing to these vehicles before we buy them so this was so unexpected.

Apologies for putting this in the mod section instead of cosmetic. My bad...

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry.beck View Post
It's pretty easy to tell when you try to put the film on the car and it won't stay in place because a ceramic coating is just too slick for it to stay. I think your dealer did you a solid.
Appreciate 0